PDA

View Full Version : How important this band is....

RiotOwnzYou
02-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Im not a thread kinda gal, but i felt i should say something about this band. They were my first concert i ever went to when i 16 *May 1999, bitches!* Their music has always been important to me and all the shit ive ever gone through. Just recently, a good friend of mine was killed. He was 23. I went to the wake and i broke down before i even got into the building because it was that hard for me. When i finally made it inside, what did i hear over the loud speakers of the funeral home???? PRETTY FLY FOR A WHITE GUY. I instantly smiled because i know thats how Bryan would have wanted it. Whoever picked out the music to play over the service chose nothing but Offspring and that made me feel a helluva lot better because thats how Bryan was and he wouldnt want it any other way. I just thought i'd share that with everyone because i somehow felt it was important that i do so. <3

Riot.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-08-2006, 01:48 PM
I think at least one of their songs has helped people through something. Whether it be Gone Away, Pretty Fly..whatever. Gone Away helped me through a rough time. So yeah I can connect with you totally/

Rutegard
02-08-2006, 02:04 PM
the offspring changed the way i see things, they changed me for better

now i'm like this and i know for sure i wouldnt be the same if i had never get to know them

and bout the music helping out in difficult times in your life that's just one point...they have helped me in so so so many different ways that i can't even name them all right now

so yeah....of course i get your point!

OffspringPsycho
02-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Oh man that's neat.

I want Gone Away played at my funeral :(

adombomb222
02-08-2006, 02:09 PM
The offspring has a lot of songs, that help people in rough times. I like Gone Away, cause even if you dont have a reason to like the song cause of a death of a freind, its just a dark and sad sounding song. I mean i not saying that Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) isn't a song that someone could like cause of death, i think all music is like that, i just like the offspring better then most other music. And i think that the offsprings music is important because it reminds use of loved ones we lost. Personaly i like there darker music, because it reminds my of a teacher that died a few years ago and my grandma that died around the time the offspring became my favorite band. And if i died i wouldn't want music that would make people sad, i'd want something like the offspring, cause i would want thoes people to be happy, not sad. If it takes a song like Pretty Fly to cheer someone up because their freind is deadIts a good song, no matter if you like it or not. The only bad thing is then that song will always remind you of that person, but if its a happy song its most likely gonna remind you of happy time, not sad, right?

Sinister
02-08-2006, 02:23 PM
The Offspring are REALLY REALLY important to me. (Warning : long post)

Goes back in time... a long way, maybe four years ago I heard Original Prankster during English listening activity, and instantly got hooked on them.

Then some time later, I began visiting the chat, which was still on the site at the time.

Because of my very low self esteem, I didn't have many friends, and relied mainly on the Internet to have a social network - and I had suicidal thoughts. Seriously.

I ended up adding many people on my MSN contacts list, as one may imagine. And one of those people has been my girlfriend (on internet & occasionally a phone call - think what you want and shut the hell up) for about a year and a half now, and it seems like the relationship will go on forever (and a day, haha).

That relationship is one of the things that brought me out of my suicidal thoughts. It's the main reason, actually.

I'd call that IMPORTANT!

and just in case Dexter or Noodles reads this : Thanks a fucking lot.

DeAtHsTaR
02-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Gone Away is so amazing. I want it to be played at my funeral. Gone Away has lifted me from suicidal thoughts 3 TIMES.

Dexter, Noodles, Greg, and Ron, THANK YOU FOR SAVING MY LIFE.

The_Special_Delivery
02-08-2006, 03:10 PM
A bit like Sinister and DeAtHsTaR,mostly Gone Away really helped me with suicidal thoughts.I got over it.Songs like Dammit I Changed Again,Spare Me The Details and Dirty Magic,helped me too in hard times.You guys saved some life,would be proud!!Thank you soo much!!

Gayman
02-08-2006, 03:26 PM
A bit like Sinister and DeAtHsTaR,mostly Gone Away really helped me with suicidal thoughts.I got over it.Songs like Dammit I Changed Again,Spare Me The Details and Dirty Magic,helped me too in hard times.You guys saved some life,would be proud!!Thank you soo much!!
I think that's great that their songs have helped you!!(I sound like I have made the songs and are in the band! :D ) I have never had any toughts about suicide or anything so, can't say anything about that. But I played "Gone Away" with my brothers guitar when my aunt died last year...I was never too close to her, but still played the song cause I was alittle down :( and it's almost the only song I can play with guitar with few other songs :o . Playing "Gone Away" with drums doesn't give that sort feeling that only guitar gives...to me anyway.

rlplaymaker
02-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Well guys, Gone Away is probably their best song, at least one of em. But when it comes to me being all depressed and sad, the songs that make me feel better are songs like "I CHOOSE" or " ORIGINAL PRANKSTER" they just make ya wanna keep goin. Dexter, if you or any of the other guys get a chance to read this, THANK YOU!

punker
02-08-2006, 03:46 PM
the song that really helped me a lot about a year ago was ALL I WANT, i owe that song my life

Offspring-Fanatic
02-08-2006, 04:04 PM
ive been at some low points too, and my friends and my music get me through. because if im dead, i cant listen to offspring, or MCR, or nirvana, or A7X or other bands i love.

so yeah to the guys...thanks for everything.

and noodles, happy birthday (i haven't been here in a month or so...)

Venom Symbiote
02-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Hah, that's nice about the guy's favourite choice of music at the funeral, Riot, but Pretty Fly? Wow, the organisers there made an...unsual choice of song. :eek:

:) Heh, oh well.

I'll post my contribution to the thread (pretty similar to Riot's, actually) when I get the chance. It'll be long, though, don't have the time about now.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-08-2006, 04:14 PM
ive been at some low points too, and my friends and my music get me through. because if im dead, i cant listen to offspring, or MCR, or nirvana, or A7X or other bands i love.

so yeah to the guys...thanks for everything.

and noodles, happy birthday (i haven't been here in a month or so...)

My Chemical Romance is the true meaning of suck.

Offspring-Fanatic
02-08-2006, 04:17 PM
My Chemical Romance is the true meaning of suck.

well, this IS a forum board and you are entitled to your opinion. however i think you are wrong, but that's my opinion, i love MCR. i like some kinda-emo music. like hawthorne heights too.

rocketman
02-08-2006, 04:33 PM
well, this IS a forum board and you are entitled to your opinion. however i think you are wrong, but that's my opinion, i love MCR. i like some kinda-emo music. like hawthorne heights too.
I think mainly Dirty Magic helped me through the low points of my life (not gonna go into any detail). Gone Away never really clicked with me, I mean I enjoy the song, but it just depresses me more if anything.

And to the quotations above...MCR and Hawthorne Heights aren't emo...don't mean to put anyone down or anything, just stating something.

DeAtHsTaR
02-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Once I was crying my eyes out and felt like dieing for some reason. I put in the CMVC and watched the Gone Away video. I was smiling and almost laughing by the time it was over.

Ryder1234
02-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Im not a thread kinda gal, but i felt i should say something about this band. They were my first concert i ever went to when i 16 *May 1999, bitches!* Their music has always been important to me and all the shit ive ever gone through. Just recently, a good friend of mine was killed. He was 23. I went to the wake and i broke down before i even got into the building because it was that hard for me. When i finally made it inside, what did i hear over the loud speakers of the funeral home???? PRETTY FLY FOR A WHITE GUY. I instantly smiled because i know thats how Bryan would have wanted it. Whoever picked out the music to play over the service chose nothing but Offspring and that made me feel a helluva lot better because thats how Bryan was and he wouldnt want it any other way. I just thought i'd share that with everyone because i somehow felt it was important that i do so. <3

Riot.

this is off topic, but why do new people always puttheir names after their posts

RiotOwnzYou
02-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Pretty Fly For A White Guy was burned onto that CD, for reasons unknown to me, but it helped the mood alot. People stopped mourning for a few minutes and all i heard was "this is SO Bryan...he would get a kick out of it." Then when people started sharing memories of him, about how he LOVED his Ramen Noodles and all that jazz, it made everything alot better. So stemming from all of this, Offspring fucking rocks and along with the memorial back piece im getting, im going to quote "I reach to the sky and call out your name, if i could trade, i would" underneath it because it will always be a reminder of the friend i lost and the band we love. And PS, i put my name at the bottom of my post because i treat all things i write as a letter.

Take that, beyatch,

Riot.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Yeah, no song could ever top Gone Away, if there are 3 songs that help me through a rough time, they are (in order)

1) Gone Away
2) Race Against Myself
3) Never Gonna Find Me

Gone Away, like everybody has said, is really a great song and it means alot to be able to put that song on and not feel bad anymore, thanks Offspring!

Llamas
02-08-2006, 10:24 PM
offspring got me through hard times and suicidal thoughts when I was 14 and 15 (time of americana release). Smash was the song that got me through everything. I was lonely and depressed and sick of what everyone thought... EVERY TIME I was in tears, I'd put on that song, and in 3 1/2 minutes, everything would be fine.

Hypodermic_89
02-08-2006, 11:20 PM
The Offspring introduced punk rock to me :)

Llamas
02-09-2006, 01:20 AM
same here.

Venom Symbiote
02-09-2006, 05:37 AM
"Jennifer Lost the War" just makes me smile grimly every time I hear it. It's just so true, y'know? Bad shit happens to unbelievably good people, usually more often than to the ones who deserve it.

I'm not going to throw out cliche's like "Gone Away", everyone can relate to that fucking song. It's awesomely cool, but not really personal to us the masses. Anyone who's lost anyone can take solace in that track.

However, "The End of the Line"? I fucking bawl. Like a baby. My girlfriend/best friend died when we were 15, in a car accident. The person in the world I cared about more than myself, y'know? Friends and all are great, but I still come first. Rare that there's an exception to that rule. And that song is about the only reason I can't hate the Americana album with a passion. (I like "TKAA" and "Pay the Man" too, just making a point here - heh) It's fucking genius. More specific than "Gone Away", less universal in theme and relevance, but fuck: that whole "I feel awful for even thinking this: but look what the fuck that event did to me!" angle is damn clever. Twisted, but I think it's a pretty common reaction. Hating yourself for being so selfish and the only thing you can think about is how much the loss fucked you up.

Dexter truly is underappreciated as a songwriter, in my opinion. He's quirky, he's tongue-in-cheek, he's sarcastic, but also knows what he's doing. I know I've been a little negative towards the guys here lately, apparently "bursting peoples bubbles" or whatever regarding the recent news, but - shit - the man can structure a song like not many others. And his lyrics just define the middle-class white collar everyman, which is something I can really appreciate and take comfort in. Most bands are either exponentially negative or overly happy - Dexter can find the balance in both and find a working middle-ground.

georgie/dexter
03-07-2006, 12:57 PM
ok well gone away never really helped and pretty fly never helped me either but for some reason, after my gf dumped me i loved denial revisited and i still do

F@ BANKZ
03-07-2006, 01:01 PM
ok well gone away never really helped and pretty fly never helped me either but for some reason, after my gf dumped me i loved denial revisited and i still do

Wow dude that's pretty cool, The Offspring gave me confidence to go out and just be myslef, it may seem like it didn't do me much good but i feel so much better about..... life i guess. But Gone Away rocks!!!

georgie/dexter
03-07-2006, 01:02 PM
"Jennifer Lost the War" just makes me smile grimly every time I hear it. It's just so true, y'know? Bad shit happens to unbelievably good people, usually more often than to the ones who deserve it.

I'm not going to throw out cliche's like "Gone Away", everyone can relate to that fucking song. It's awesomely cool, but not really personal to us the masses. Anyone who's lost anyone can take solace in that track.

However, "The End of the Line"? I fucking bawl. Like a baby. My girlfriend/best friend died when we were 15, in a car accident. The person in the world I cared about more than myself, y'know? Friends and all are great, but I still come first. Rare that there's an exception to that rule. And that song is about the only reason I can't hate the Americana album with a passion. (I like "TKAA" and "Pay the Man" too, just making a point here - heh) It's fucking genius. More specific than "Gone Away", less universal in theme and relevance, but fuck: that whole "I feel awful for even thinking this: but look what the fuck that event did to me!" angle is damn clever. Twisted, but I think it's a pretty common reaction. Hating yourself for being so selfish and the only thing you can think about is how much the loss fucked you up.

Dexter truly is underappreciated as a songwriter, in my opinion. He's quirky, he's tongue-in-cheek, he's sarcastic, but also knows what he's doing. I know I've been a little negative towards the guys here lately, apparently "bursting peoples bubbles" or whatever regarding the recent news, but - shit - the man can structure a song like not many others. And his lyrics just define the middle-class white collar everyman, which is something I can really appreciate and take comfort in. Most bands are either exponentially negative or overly happy - Dexter can find the balance in both and find a working middle-ground.

totally agree with you "end of the line" is a whole lot better then "gone away"

Camilamazed
03-07-2006, 01:15 PM

How can I dislike you fater that :o

forcyn
03-07-2006, 01:23 PM
huh... since I listen to Offspring it's more like being myself than being a part of any group. I'm not one of punks, I'm not one of skaters. I found my own way in life. maybe it sounds soooo deep, but is very important in life. I don't want to be like my '''friend''' wanted me to be [it was really hard time for me] I haven't got friends at all after that. there's so many people in my school who don't want me to change because I'm different than them. they're my friends.

Thx to Offspring

Rufus
03-07-2006, 01:31 PM
I grew up listening to The Offspring because my brothers used to listen to them all the time. Listening to their music can always cheer me up and Smash (The song not the album) and Staring At The Sun gave me the courage to be myself and not a trendy asshole

i-want-him-only
03-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Thir music have turn my life upside down... no, actually downside up
i've been listening to them for not too long ago but it only take a few days to make me a complete addict to them. They had made me a diferent person (a much saner one :D ) and introduceded me to a world that i didn't knew, making me feel like i wasn't that alone in the world (never gonna find me totally talks about me, all i want always gives me stranght, etc.). Their music is for me the perfect combination betwen strength, emotion, intelligence, humor, and so much more that i can't even mention, that makes everyone non idiot who hears it to instantly love it.
They are so important for me that i have absolutely no idea what i would do without them and i dont even wanna think about it, they always bring me up when i'm down, and... well i could go on like this forever, so i'm just gonna stop now before i start to cry http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d143/Ana005/Emoticons/lloriquea.png (kiddin' :p )

Ninty Man
03-07-2006, 02:04 PM
I wanna hear Can't repeat in my funeral... and I will Meet Jesus dancing like Pretty Fly

Swill
03-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Without the offspring i honestly think that i would have nothing. For me it was THE KIDS ARENT ALRIGHT that got me interested in the offspring, and from that i got interested in other kinds of music etc.....and now without music ,wether it be pop, punk, rock, musicals, metal whatever, my life would be a very different life. I cant imagine it without music, my life is good and i suppose fundamentally thats all thanks to the offspring.
________
Box vaporizers (http://boxvaporizers.com)

scream
03-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Looks like The Offspring have produced tons of songs that have helped us all out in rough times. I know they certainly helped me starting with the album Americana.

I was in 7th grade at the time (Americana was released while I was in 6th grade) and around this age is when school drama gets big. Girl troubles and self troubles exhibit themselves a lot in this stage (at least in my life). I heard WDYGAJ because my cousin had the CD. I thought "Man this song is pretty cool" so I buy the CD and I am immediately hooked. I fall asleep listening to the album for a couple weeks and then one day when I'm listening to Americana I start unconsciously singing along. I realize that I now know the words and think to myself "fucking awesome." Have You Ever, TKAA, and The End of the Line especially helped me make it out alive during this time of my life.

As time goes on I get all the other albums and each one shapes the way I think and who I am as a person. Gone Away, Million Miles Away, Denial Revisited, Race Against Myself, Gotta Get Away, Dirty Magic, and pretty much every other Offspring song helps me cope with the shit in my life. I love The Offspring and always will and so I would like nothing less than a mix of Offspring playing at my funeral as well.

Btw, it's very endearing to know The Offspring's music was playing at your friends funeral, if I understand anything about the gravity of that situation, I imagine he would have been happy beyond belief.

bbqfishsticks
03-07-2006, 04:47 PM
I was just a youngster in 3rd grade when I first started loving the offspring. My best friend's older cousin had smash and we'd listen to it when we hung out. Self-esteem and come out and play were my favorite songs before I really even knew what they were about. I think I mainly we wanted to be cool like my friend's cousin and of course it was so much fun to chant "La La La La La" and "Got keep em seperated"

So basically since then I've been an offspring hound.

There have always been certain songs I like to listen to when i'm in a certain mood. Even their newest song Can't Repeat I love to death. In fact it might be one of my all time favorites. Now that I'm getting older and have to go to college and work full time my care free life is coming to an end. Around the time can't repeat came out this past summer is when I started to see the way things were going to change and the song's lyrics just seemed to go hand in hand with my thoughts.

Plus having the greatest hits DVD come out around this time of my life was just perfect because when I hear Offspring it reminds me of so many of the memories I've had through the years.

With all our joys and fears
Wrapped in forgotten years
The past is laughing as today just slips away
Time tears down what weve made
And sets another stage
And Im just wishing we could stop

Life goes on
Come of age
Cant hold on
Turn the page

ruroken
03-07-2006, 08:54 PM
That wasn't important. Neither is this band.

Llamas
03-07-2006, 08:58 PM
neither are you. or your mom. :)

DeAtHsTaR
03-07-2006, 09:48 PM
That wasn't important. Neither is this band.
Shut up.

Cool to Hate was written about this guy. He has never EVER said anything positive on these forums.

bouncingcoles
03-08-2006, 07:10 AM
offspring is my life! they are the reason i started playing in a band and play guitar! and it was my dream to see them live and meet them. and after a number of years i finally did! i saw them live in boston and then 2 days later in new york. and then the next year i saw them at warped tour and then the nexxt day at CBGBs where i met them. great guys! they are my heroes! and always will be!

Dmarques
03-08-2006, 07:15 AM
I wanna hear Can't repeat in my funeral... and I will Meet Jesus dancing like Pretty Fly

Looooll...It isn't a bad idea!! :p

Amazed
03-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Yeah, no song could ever top Gone Away, if there are 3 songs that help me through a rough time, they are (in order)

1) Gone Away
2) Race Against Myself
3) Never Gonna Find Me

Gone Away, like everybody has said, is really a great song and it means alot to be able to put that song on and not feel bad anymore, thanks Offspring!

Splinter was the first of their albums I bought and Race against myself and Never gonna find me were the songs I liked the most on it. I was kind of down back then and those songs made me feel that I wasn't alone. I've listened to Splinter at least a hundred times and I'm really tired of it now, plus it reminds me of that time. But still, it's a great album. Also I wanna say that their music has changed me to the better. I'm not like I used to be before I started listening to them. I was such a geek back then.. oh well, I'm still a geek, but in a different way. My sister gives me a lot of crap for listening to The Offspring. She hates them, which is kind of ironic since she was the one who introduced me to them. I think she looks down on me because of the music I listen to and the way I dress. Anyway, I don't think anyone cares about any of this, but.. ah what the hell. And if any of the band members would read this (which I doubt) I just wanna say thank you.

bbqfishsticks
03-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Actually...
I think these kind of posts are what keeps the forum interesting.
Reading how the band affects people personally.

Rutegard
03-08-2006, 12:33 PM
THANK YOU GUYS

i can't express what i feel for you using only words....

but well, just keep up on stage please for just a few more years and really really thank you for being such a great band

thanks for being who you are

13-31
03-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Music in general has helped me out a few times. When I'm extremely angry, I just crank my stereo up really loud. music has also gotten me some friends. one of my best friends and i listen to the same style of music. we talk about offspring or any band we love.

Plumey
03-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Yeah, music definitely brings people together. But it's also pretty good when you feel a little lonely. Nice having a voice speaking in your ear, you know?
I think Come out Swinging is a real killer. I like to listen to it when I go running. It's another one of those songs that kinda helps you get through tough times. Heck, I think a lot of the Offspring songs are like that, in a fashion, except for maybe the joke songs. I'd love to have Pretty Fly for a White Guy played at my funeral, though, just to see how people would react. :p

Sinister
03-08-2006, 05:35 PM
I want Da Hui played at my funeral ! :D

Ninty Man
03-08-2006, 05:54 PM
I want Da Hui played at my funeral ! :D

You dont have Self Esteem right???

Sinister
03-08-2006, 05:55 PM
You dont have Self Esteem right???

Self Esteem doesn't have Da Hui's shock value :D.

Llamas
03-08-2006, 06:01 PM
you should have them play "no hero" at your funeral. or "bad habit". haha

Ninty Man
03-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Self Esteem doesn't have Da Hui's shock value :D.

But men, All I want it's too choose be cool too hate

Sinister
03-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Bad Habit, Cool to Hate and Da Hui. that's my funeral setlist so far.

scream
03-08-2006, 07:49 PM
I'd include:

The Meaning of Life
All I Want
Change the World
Dirty Magic
Have You Ever
I Choose
Amazed

Llamas
03-08-2006, 08:26 PM
I'd go for happy songs. I don't want people to be sad at my funeral. I'd want them to play burn it up or pretty fly. probably pretty fly, cause everyone knows I love the offspring, and everyone knows that song... plus it's really lighthearted and fun.

Hux
03-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Nothing From Something would definately be played at my funeral. The song is energetic and sounds happy although the lyrics may not be the same. I would want people happy at my funeral celebrating my life.

georgie/dexter
03-09-2006, 07:49 AM
i want smash to be played at my funeral i dont no why but i just love that song and i get a rush when i hear it

who knows maybe my boddy will start moving to the music! :D