PDA

View Full Version : Drummer's Only

endlesst0m
02-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Why doesn't Ron ever play the bass drum when he does a drum roll? He's the only drummer i know that does that, and it bothers me that i can't think of a reason why he would neglect to do that.

Drummerguy123
02-08-2006, 09:58 PM
It just depends on the kind of sound you like or the sound you are going for. Most of the time, I don' use my bass drum on rolls. You are talking single rolls, not buzz rolls, right?

endlesst0m
02-08-2006, 10:00 PM
It just depends on the kind of sound you like or the sound you are going for. Most of the time, I don' use my bass drum on rolls. You are talking single rolls, not buzz rolls, right?

haha yeah. i don't think there are any buzz rolls in offspring.

anyway,it's not like theres a whole wide range of sounds you could "go far", it's just...with bass drum=more powerful. without bass drum=less powerful. offspring has a lot of driving force, why would they want that?

Drummerguy123
02-08-2006, 10:03 PM
I duon't know. I have actually noticed this before, but it seems to work. Besides, Atom uses his bass drum in rolls.

endlesst0m
02-08-2006, 10:05 PM
I duon't know. I have actually noticed this before, but it seems to work. Besides, Atom uses his bass drum in rolls.

yeah, true...atom uses bass drum in rolls.

it's just wierd how ron doesn't though...he doesn't do it in gone away, he doesn't do it in change the world, he doesn't do it in conspiracy of one, he just doesn't ever do it. its weird. also, i've never found anyone who thought that to be a difficult thing to do, its really easy.

Drummerguy123
02-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Or in Nitro (Youth Energy), which could really use some. But The sound does seem to work well, even though it doesn't have the *oomph* that you are talking about.

endlesst0m
02-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Or in Nitro (Youth Energy), which could really use some. But The sound does seem to work well, even though it doesn't have the *oomph* that you are talking about.

I wonder what dexter (who writes the drum parts apparently) hears about the offsprings sound that makes him decide to leave out one of the most basic technical concepts in drumming...

the wierdest is not hearing bass drum in change the world. that DEFINATLY needs it.

Drummerguy123
02-08-2006, 10:10 PM
I didn't know Dexter wrote the drum parts. I knew he played drums, but I thought Ron did all the writing. Didn't Josh Freese write the parts in Splinter?

Drummerguy123
02-08-2006, 10:12 PM
I wonder what dexter (who writes the drum parts apparently) hears about the offsprings sound that makes him decide to leave out one of the most basic technical concepts in drumming...

the wierdest is not hearing bass drum in change the world. that DEFINATLY needs it.

Actually, I kinda like the way the rolls sound in Change the World. It's like, they aren't pulseated (is that a word?) and it is just one solid, straight roll.

endlesst0m
02-08-2006, 10:13 PM
I didn't know Dexter wrote the drum parts. I knew he played drums, but I thought Ron did all the writing. Didn't Josh Freese write the parts in Splinter?

you didn't know that? alot of people here seem to know that, it's been brought up before. i'm postive its true.

splinter just convinces me more that dexter writes the parts. think of how much better josh is than ron, but how similar the drumming style is on splinter to any other ron album.

Drummerguy123
02-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Actually, I found the drumming to be a lot different in Splinter than most other albums. Lightning Rod, The Noose, Never Gonna Find Me, and even Spare Me Thte Details had much different drum parts.

Gayman
02-09-2006, 04:34 AM
Yeah, the drumming on Splinter is diffirent in my opinion. I didn't like the drumming on Splinter that much actually....

HeadAroundU
02-09-2006, 07:00 AM
I love Splinter drums!<3

OneFineDay
02-09-2006, 10:47 AM
i also love the drums on splinter, josh has done a great job, he puts so much power into the songs, e.g. hit that, lightning rod,...

bd007h
02-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Ron never did probably because he was a mediocre drummer and wasn't capable. IDK, that's my guess

Black__ball
02-09-2006, 11:54 AM
im not a drummer but i can play gone away and gotta get away on the drums o yerha and the intro to americana (arent i good :cool: kidding) i dunno really

endlesst0m
02-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Ron never did probably because he was a mediocre drummer and wasn't capable. IDK, that's my guess

but whats wierd is, i've never met a drummer that struggles to do that.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-09-2006, 02:46 PM
yeah, true...atom uses bass drum in rolls.

it's just wierd how ron doesn't though...he doesn't do it in gone away, he doesn't do it in change the world, he doesn't do it in conspiracy of one, he just doesn't ever do it. its weird. also, i've never found anyone who thought that to be a difficult thing to do, its really easy.

Im not a drummer, but it is weird. But thats what makes the band unique. Not doing what every other band is doing with rolls. Am I right?

0r4ng3
02-09-2006, 02:49 PM
I love Splinter drums!<3
I love them too. They just sound louder and harder than any other Offspring album.

H1T_That
02-09-2006, 02:50 PM
im not a drummer but i can play gone away and gotta get away on the drums o yerha and the intro to americana (arent i good :cool: kidding) i dunno really

gone away and gotta get away are difficult songs on drums in my opinion. Easy now i know them, but tricky to initially learn.

Dex90
02-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Why doesn't Ron ever play the bass drum when he does a drum roll? He's the only drummer i know that does that, and it bothers me that i can't think of a reason why he would neglect to do that.

because ron's a retard, only awesome drummers like atom use the bass drum with drum rolls

Talman
02-09-2006, 02:57 PM
You're looking way too much into things and you're not listening hard enough. There's plenty of songs that use the bass drum over fills. Staring at the sun for example. It really doesn't make that much of a difference anyway. It's like saying that someone plays guitar weird because they don't use sweeps in solos.

Believe it or not, Ron did use his kick drum over fills, although i don't see why it's such a big deal. Anyway, it's generally the producer who decides on what sounds good and not the band members.

endlesst0m
02-09-2006, 03:50 PM
because ron's a retard, only awesome drummers like atom use the bass drum with drum rolls

actually, every drummer besides ron does it. that's why i thought it was even worth it to make this thread.

endlesst0m
02-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Believe it or not, Ron did use his kick drum over fills

no he didn't.

Talman
02-09-2006, 04:38 PM
no he didn't.

Are you fucking deaf? How about you go listen to the whole Americana album, then come back and say the same thing. Offspring might be my all time favourite band, but fuck me they have a lot of dipshit fans who seem more retarded then a down syndrome kid sniffing amyl nitrate 24/7.

Drummerguy123
02-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Brett, if you are going to go on about Ron being a bad drummer (which he is not) because he didn't write the parts, look at your hero, Dave Grohl (no pun intended). If I'm not mistaken, he didn't write any part for Nirvana. And you still haven't convinced me that he is that great of a drummer, anyway.

endlesst0m
02-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Are you fucking deaf? How about you go listen to the whole Americana album, then come back and say the same thing. Offspring might be my all time favourite band, but fuck me they have a lot of dipshit fans who seem more retarded then a down syndrome kid sniffing amyl nitrate 24/7.

ok. he doesn't do it.

bd007h
02-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Brett, if you are going to go on about Ron being a bad drummer (which he is not) because he didn't write the parts, look at your hero, Dave Grohl (no pun intended). If I'm not mistaken, he didn't write any part for Nirvana. And you still haven't convinced me that he is that great of a drummer, anyway.

Mediocre and bad are two different things. You can't deny that Dave Grohl > Ron Welty

Drummerguy123
02-10-2006, 05:43 AM
Dave grohl < Ron Welty

Even from the songs you uploaded that were supposedly his best work, I wasn't too impressed. It was actually nothing I couldn't do.

Talman
02-10-2006, 06:42 AM
ok. he doesn't do it.

Sorry, i guess i didn't realise you're actually deaf.

endlesst0m
02-10-2006, 11:23 AM

i still don't hear it in that album or any others.

happy birthday to us!

Drummerguy123
02-10-2006, 05:18 PM

Dude, shut up. I bet you don't even know what you are talking about. I have spent countless hoyrs, more hour than you can possibly imagine, studying these drum beats. Ron didn't use bass drum in his rolls. If you find a song that shows otherwise, please tell me and I will correct myself if I am wrong, but until then, stop being an idiot.

Drummerguy123
02-10-2006, 05:19 PM
happy birthday to us!

What are you talking about?

ShitMaster
02-15-2006, 05:36 PM
So what if he didn't.Ron has its own style, and I'm glad of that. By doing that he showed us that he will not be just an ordinary drummer,he will have something that is more or less unique.It sounds very powerfull and without bass,and after all those are minor details.
But I recomend you not to be so uptight, and to try all of the combinations that are given to us, it doesn't matter will it be written in literature.Don't be a slave to a book.
:rolleyes:

Drummerguy123
02-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Something i just realized too, is that bass drum in rolls gives a pulse to a roll. Maybe Ron doesn't like the emphasis on the beat and just wants a straight sond like a buzz roll.