PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Magic

TheOffspring89
02-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Could someone help me out and tell me what you guys think dirty magic is about? Thanks

Hux
02-08-2006, 11:37 PM
A guy who thinks a girl might like him.

Over the duration of time she changes her mind or plays with his mind which confuses him, hence:
She said," Come over right away."
But she's just not that way
Her little soul is stolen
See her put on her brand new face

Pull the shades
Razor blades
You're so tragic
I hate you so
but love you more
I'm so elastic
The things you say
Games you play
Dirty magic

The chorus tells us that he's going to commit suicide (which is kinda weird since it's just over some girl) because she's playing with his mind. He explains he's flexible with his opinion with her because he loves her but hates her for messing with him.

I should know better than to think I'd reach inside her
It's all a cloudy kind of daze
She's not so sweet today
She mocks me, I'm no fighter
It all just seems like such a waste

Tells us more about what she does to him and how he's just wasting his time.

It's oversimplified

Telling us that he's trying to say that it's not such a big deal (which to me doesn't make sense since he's saying he's gonna commit suicide...unless he's saying that what he's saying is oversimplified. That makes sense, so it's probably that :p .

There you go.

Llamas
02-09-2006, 02:14 AM
to me, it's about a girl that he's infatuated with, but she's a little crazy. "her soul is stolen" "see her put on a brand new face", some days she's sweet, sometimes she's not. And the "pull the shades razor blades" seems to refer to her cutting herself when she gets depressed, hence "you're so tragic". And he loves her but he hates her for how she can get. It's so hard to analyze lyrics when you didn't write them, though... that's just what it seems to mean to me. I don't think it's about him wanting to commit suicide over a girl. And oversimplified seems to refer to that it a lot harder to deal with than it seems.

Hux
02-09-2006, 02:56 AM
to me, it's about a girl that he's infatuated with, but she's a little crazy. "her soul is stolen" "see her put on a brand new face", some days she's sweet, sometimes she's not. And the "pull the shades razor blades" seems to refer to her cutting herself when she gets depressed, hence "you're so tragic". And he loves her but he hates her for how she can get. It's so hard to analyze lyrics when you didn't write them, though... that's just what it seems to mean to me. I don't think it's about him wanting to commit suicide over a girl. And oversimplified seems to refer to that it a lot harder to deal with than it seems.
I agree with that as well, her being crazy would make sense, "her little soul is stolen". I guess cutting herself would make more sense due to the fact she's crazy and "you're so tragic". Oversimplified meaning a lot harder to deal with than it seems would also make more sense. Well said.

Camilamazed
02-09-2006, 08:04 AM
I liked this explanation, which makes me think that it'd be a good idea to start a thread where we could disccus the songs just like that....

What do you think???

:)

Rutegard
02-09-2006, 08:10 AM

oh yeah there you go!
i think dirty magic is basically about that too

Little_Miss_1565
02-09-2006, 09:12 AM
I agree with ilovellamas--I've always thought of it as being about a friend struggling with depression and suicide attempts. It goes with "No Hero" in my mind.

platinumpt
02-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Holy crap I never noticed dirty magic is about cutting.

alistair13
02-09-2006, 04:45 PM
lol i never really paid attention the whole razorblades part. i thought it would be about suicide or something, but the whole idea of killing yourself over a girl seemed pretty weird.

Hux
02-09-2006, 10:08 PM
ilovellamas mentioned that the suicide was referring to the girl cutting herself.

I agree with that as well, her being crazy would make sense, "her little soul is stolen". I guess cutting herself would make more sense due to the fact she's crazy and "you're so tragic". Oversimplified meaning a lot harder to deal with than it seems would also make more sense. Well said.

Drummerguy123
02-09-2006, 10:12 PM
I don't think cutting was so much of a trend back then.

Hux
02-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Why do you say that? It was only like 14 years ago, plus there's no evidence to support that. We'll never know.

EDIT: "14"

Llamas
02-09-2006, 11:06 PM
I don't think cutting was so much of a trend back then.

what? in 1992? how old were you? because as far as I know, it was more underground and less "popular" than it was in the late 90's, but it was still done plenty... just because people didn't brag about it then doesn't mean they didn't do it...

DeAtHsTaR
02-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Why do you say that? It was only like 8 years ago, plus there's no evidence to support that. We'll never know.
You have really bad math skills. It was 14 years ago.

Taz
02-10-2006, 02:42 PM
its a bit like 'no other one' by weezer, i think.... he loves her and hates her at the same time...

Hux
02-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Why do you say that? It was only like 8 years ago, plus there's no evidence to support that. We'll never know.

You have really bad math skills. It was 14 years ago.
WTF!? I don't remember writing 8? How odd.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-10-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm pretty sure what i'm about to say has already been said, but i can't be bothered reading those big posts at the moment, so i (also?) think that Dirty Magic is about how - a girl he likes, he wants her to like him, no matter how much she might or might not like him. But she's really depressed all the time and stuff and (like i read above) she just cuts herself and stuff

Llamas
02-10-2006, 11:42 PM
yeah you basically just said what had been said before but less detailed :)