PDA

View Full Version : Pissed off

imissron
02-09-2006, 04:55 PM
i was stumbling around vh1.com today and i saw this special on orange county. and there was a poll there that asked if orange county is home to angry punk like social distortion or "cuddly pop-punk like offspring". that flipped the switch for me and made me want to flip the bird to vh1. offspring being "cuddly pop punk"? how can any offspring songs or albums be considered "cuddly". it is a very condescending description to the offspring and punk rock. really pisses me off. Go see for yourself. just enter offspring into the search at vh1.com and you can find the orange county pop culture special

Sinister
02-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Sadly enough, Offspring ARE considered pop-punk.
But to hell with labels, they're great and that's all that counts.

imissron
02-09-2006, 05:01 PM
i know the offspring are considered pop punk but that description made me go insane. Almost all of their album covers have dead people on them. Their songs are loud and fast and hardcore. Where do they get the term cuddly

0r4ng3
02-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Let's just say The Offspring have a habit of choosing really bad singles.

Awesomo
02-09-2006, 05:06 PM
"Almost all of their album covers have dead people on them."

Hmm, I just don't see it. And if most of their album covers had dead people on them, it makes them punk? I agree they aren't cuddly pop punk, but they pop punk. pop = popular and its just that.

DeAtHsTaR
02-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Pop-punk is fine, but cuddly?
A lot of their stuff is way more abrasive than other pop-punk.

Drummerguy123
02-09-2006, 05:52 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Llamas
02-09-2006, 06:06 PM
agreed. cuddly in view of their singles. not cuddly otherwise. social D is pretty similar, too. they're not hardcore...

Venom Symbiote
02-09-2006, 06:12 PM
*sigh*

Here we go... :D

WWIII's about to erupt in a forum thread.

noodle654
02-09-2006, 07:17 PM
what the hell is "Cuddly Pop Punk" but any ways, the Offspring too me: The Offspring-Smash=Punk Rock. Everything else Ixany-Splinter= Punk Rock/Pop. You have to agree there Ixnay-Splinter songs do sound alittle Poppy kinda. Others are funny and some are Pop Punkish and some are Punk Rock. But really!!WHAT THE HELL IS CUDDLY POP PUNK???????

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-09-2006, 07:19 PM
i know the offspring are considered pop punk but that description made me go insane. Almost all of their album covers have dead people on them. Their songs are loud and fast and hardcore. Where do they get the term cuddly

Yeah, ok.

The Offspring-no
Ignition-no
Smash-no
Ixnay-no
Americana-no
Conspiracy-no
Splinter-no
GH-no

noodle654
02-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Yeah, ok.

The Offspring-no
Ignition-no
Smash-no
Ixnay-no
Americana-no
Conspiracy-no
Splinter-no
GH-no

I agree, The Offspring is not hardcore, hardcore is Converge, Bad Brains, so on... and pretty_fly just owned, you get a high five! :D

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Woo !

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-09-2006, 07:25 PM
And theres more
There songs arent hardcore..at all. Their the least bit hardcore. I dont even describe them as punk rock anymore. Their more regular poppy punk. Name 10 hardcore Offspring songs and Ill give you a cookie

barangatang
02-09-2006, 07:28 PM

Hmm, I just don't see it. And if most of their album covers had dead people on them, it makes them punk? I agree they aren't cuddly pop punk, but they pop punk. pop = popular and its just that.

He's proving that they aren't cuddly.

Drummerguy123
02-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Yeah, ok.

The Offspring-no
Ignition-no
Smash-no
Ixnay-no
Americana-no
Conspiracy-no
Splinter-no
GH-no

Althoughit really doesn't make a difference, Smash has a skeleton, Ixnay has Skeletons, and Americana has that girl (boy?) being eaten by that thing.

alistair13
02-09-2006, 07:31 PM
hardcore is a totally different genre... none of offspring's stuff actually fits into that kinda tinny screaming sorta sound. some of AFI's older stuff is borderline hardcore, i guess. when you look at that stuff, and then listen to the offspring, yea... they're not hardcore, but i wouldn't go so far as to call them cuddly.

noodle654
02-09-2006, 07:34 PM
somebody describe what "Cuddly Pop Punk" is it like Green Day meets Jessica Simpson??

alistair13
02-09-2006, 07:36 PM
by cuddly pop punk i'd probably say something like simple plan; you know, the stuff that appeals to a bunch of preppy 10 year old girls

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Althoughit really doesn't make a difference, Smash has a skeleton, Ixnay has Skeletons, and Americana has that girl (boy?) being eaten by that thing.
Skeletons arent dead people, the Americana kid is being eaten. And it just shows his leg on the back of the cd [if I remember correctly] And who knows, it coulda just eaten his/her leg off

noodle654
02-09-2006, 07:38 PM
perfect thanks for the def, you are god *bows*! I hate Simple Plan and Good Charolte or how ever the hell you spell that. And good use of preppy 10 year old girls!! High Five!!

alistair13
02-09-2006, 09:32 PM
straight up.

Hux
02-09-2006, 10:02 PM
It's mainly because of singles like I Choose, She's Got Issues, Pretty Fly (For A White Guy), Why Don't You Get A Job, Want You Bad, Original Prankster, Hit That, Spare Me The Details. They're all pop (or at least most).

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they're shit but they're pop. People judge them only by their singles, they think if the singles are pop then most of the other songs on the album will be pop as well.

But really they are pop-punk...but not cuddly pop-punk.

Little_Miss_1565
02-10-2006, 04:31 AM
somebody describe what "Cuddly Pop Punk" is it like Green Day meets Jessica Simpson??

"Pretty Fly," "Want You Bad," "Original Prankster."

Let's face it, when making grand sweeping judgments like that, TV channels and magazines are most often referring to the singles, not the whole body of work.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-10-2006, 05:25 AM
Original Prankster talks about bangin little hoochie mommas. I wouldnt consider THAT cuddly, but the song I guess can be considerd cuddly pop punk.

punx_girl
02-10-2006, 05:49 AM
Offspring is punk-rock band but some songs (like pretty fly,hit that...)are pop-punk... :)

punx_girl
02-10-2006, 05:50 AM
And I think that their older albums,especially Ignition,are so much better than Splinter and Americana.

Hypodermic_89
02-10-2006, 06:02 AM

how come that when one band is considered pop-punk, they're stuck there forever? I mean, The Offspring haven't been quite popular since Americana, eight years ago! I consider The Offspring punkrock / skatepunk, since they aren't that popular anymore.

icklebabygremlin
02-10-2006, 06:05 AM
I couldnt of said it better myself

Lupin
02-10-2006, 06:10 AM
Thing is are they even punk anymore...? I saw a quote in a guitar magazine a while back that said "the offspring to punk to be metal, to metal to be punk' from a players point of view they can be. Much like Bad Religion the sound is very similar, and whilst i agree that the band have changed a lot since smash its not been to more 'pop' climates. Yeah a handful of singles maybe more mainstream but Splinter at its best was like a curious mix of The Process of Belief by Bad Religion & The Art Of Drowning by AFI....now theres two cuddly bands.
________
OG KUSH MARIJUANA STRAIN (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/og-kush)

Amiralanal
02-10-2006, 06:16 AM

well, i guess its because the songs that the folks on VH1 have heard is cuddly. like WDYGAJ,Hit that and Want you bad.

everybody i know thinks that the offspring are doing pop-punk, becuz thats the songs that they've heard.

ruroken
02-10-2006, 08:40 AM
The Offspring are pop. Accept it already, you losers.

Vendetta Red is PUNX. Listen to them.

Rutegard
02-10-2006, 08:44 AM

yeah....it's such a bad habit

ruroken
02-10-2006, 08:45 AM
PUN lolz u did dat on purpos11oneeightseven//22@2

Rutegard
02-10-2006, 08:49 AM
how come that when one band is considered pop-punk, they're stuck there forever? I mean, The Offspring haven't been quite popular since Americana, eight years ago! I consider The Offspring punkrock / skatepunk, since they aren't that popular anymore.

there you go. that's right

Ninty Man
02-10-2006, 10:50 AM
I couldn't have said it better myself.

:eek: :rolleyes:

Right, whatever you say

ashtray_girl_1
02-10-2006, 11:44 AM
come on people! face it that the offspring are not (hardcore) punk like dk and all that! :)

cudly pop punk doesn't even exist. if vh1 says that they sound like simple plan or mcr the people who agree with that should better listen to s/t and ignition and notice the obvious difference between offspring and crapy-poser poppish "bands"
sadly enough, the newer singles ARE pop punk but it's not enough to concider offspring pop rock mainstream sellouts

still, if mtv or vh1 considers them being cuddly pop punk how come they play ther videos so rarely?;)

WebDudette
02-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Although Pop means popular it has grown to represent Brittany Spears songs or Jessica Simpson, combine that with a punk band like Dead Kennedys and you get a band like The Offspring. (Bad Examples but it's all I could think of.)

GBH2
02-10-2006, 02:10 PM

probably the only worthwhile thing you have ever said. bravo

H1T_That
02-10-2006, 05:16 PM
as long as they produce music, i dont give a fuck what everyone else 'classes' them as.

darko
02-10-2006, 05:30 PM
i was stumbling around vh1.com today and i saw this special on orange county. and there was a poll there that asked if orange county is home to angry punk like social distortion or "cuddly pop-punk like offspring". that flipped the switch for me and made me want to flip the bird to vh1. offspring being "cuddly pop punk"? how can any offspring songs or albums be considered "cuddly". it is a very condescending description to the offspring and punk rock. really pisses me off. Go see for yourself. just enter offspring into the search at vh1.com and you can find the orange county pop culture special

I won't get pissed off at this.....why bother? I mean, you can 'flip them the bird' as many times as you like....VH1 won't see you nor do they care. Each to their own my dear, each to their own.

el cheelo
02-10-2006, 07:06 PM
fuck vh1, they have clearly not heard offsprings first 3 albums

Dex90
02-10-2006, 07:09 PM
what the hell is "Cuddly Pop Punk" but any ways, the Offspring too me: The Offspring-Smash=Punk Rock. Everything else Ixany-Splinter= Punk Rock/Pop. You have to agree there Ixnay-Splinter songs do sound alittle Poppy kinda. Others are funny and some are Pop Punkish and some are Punk Rock. But really!!WHAT THE HELL IS CUDDLY POP PUNK???????
please tell me which punk song on splinter sounds remotely pop??? worst hangover ever is reggae and spare me the details is soft rock.

El cheelo: "fuck vh1, they have clearly not heard offsprings first 3 albums"
none of the offspring albums, exept for maybe co1, fall under the pop punk category, they're all punk rock.

el cheelo
02-10-2006, 07:19 PM
If an album becomes popular, I believe it is considered "pop", as pop is short for popular, but no, there is not an offspring album that is "cuddly pop punk"

Slipdog2
02-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Its because of Dexters voice. He sounds just so cuddly.