PDA

View Full Version : What the Bleep Do We Know?

Drummerguy123
02-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I saw this movie and it definately opened my eyes. Although a lot of the stuff I didn't agree with or believe in, it was a real thought-inducer. Has anyone else seen it? What did you think about it?

ruroken
02-09-2006, 08:38 PM
You mean What The F@#*?

Drummerguy123
02-09-2006, 08:39 PM
No, the movie is called "What the Bleep Do We Know."

Preocupado
02-09-2006, 08:42 PM
is it a new movie or do you think it can be downloaded?

Drummerguy123
02-09-2006, 08:43 PM
It's a few years old, I think. It's not really old. It's actually sort of a documentary-type film. I reccommend it, especially if you are into philosophy.

Preocupado
02-09-2006, 08:47 PM
found it on torrentspy. i'll try it out, but it'll take me a couple of days to download 700Mb. But hell, i'll do it. I'm even starting to make threads about what should i do.

Drummerguy123
02-09-2006, 08:48 PM
lol. Yeah, it's a good movie.

Endymion
02-09-2006, 08:54 PM
alas, inaccurate.

Drummerguy123
02-09-2006, 08:55 PM
alas, inaccurate.

I guess you didn't like it?

BREAK
02-09-2006, 09:08 PM
You're an idiot for watching that movie and doubly an idiot for liking it. Walk off of a cliff backwards.

Drummerguy123
02-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Okay, first of all, I watched it in class, so i didn't have a choice. Secongd, I said that I didn't agree with many of the statements made.

Endymion
02-09-2006, 09:13 PM
I guess you didn't like it?
like or dislike doesn't enter into it. i'm not an idiot off the street who sees believes random shit said in a movie. oh, people prayed and crime rates went down? i thought this was an advanced society. if you really want something to believe in put your face through your monitor.

Drummerguy123
02-09-2006, 09:14 PM
I said twice already that i don't agree with a lot of the things said in the movie. I was just saying that it made me think.

Endymion
02-09-2006, 09:21 PM
think about what? that psudo-science shouldn't be given any fucking leeway? that giving things the benifit of the doubt is harmful?

Drummerguy123
02-09-2006, 09:23 PM
No, like how our mind works and all that jazz.

Endymion
02-09-2006, 09:39 PM
if you want to actually learn something, pick up a book on neurology. watching a movie full of crap doesn't make you think about anything factual. if you believed ANYTHING those people said you're beyond any form of hope.

Drummerguy123
02-09-2006, 09:43 PM
I said we saw it in class, so I didn't have a choice but to watch it. I'm not altogethr interested in philosphy or neurology, but this movie did make me think about my environment.

Preocupado
02-09-2006, 09:45 PM
think about what? that psudo-science shouldn't be given any fucking leeway? that giving things the benifit of the doubt is harmful?

you think science is the only way to expand the mind? get aclue, it's another delusional way of our psyche.

Preocupado
02-09-2006, 09:47 PM
btw endymion, what do you call a fact? do you think there's any way you'll ever produce some sort of knowledge that's not related to your own self?

Drummerguy123
02-09-2006, 09:48 PM
you think science is the only way to expand the mind? get aclue, it's another delusional way of our psyche.

Yeah, the scientific parts I didn't believe one bit, but it was the philosophical content that made me think.

Endymion
02-09-2006, 09:49 PM
did i say that? no, i said granting an audiance to any idea under the sun is fucking stupid. i don't entertain the thought that something might be true simply because i can't prove otherwise. someone tells me that there are magic fairies living in the center of the moon and i don't give them the benefit of the doubt.

Drummerguy123
02-09-2006, 09:51 PM
I don't think the movie was about telling people what they think was right, but rather to let them come up with their own decisions about these subjects.

Preocupado
02-09-2006, 10:19 PM
did i say that? no, i said granting an audiance to any idea under the sun is fucking stupid. i don't entertain the thought that something might be true simply because i can't prove otherwise. someone tells me that there are magic fairies living in the center of the moon and i don't give them the benefit of the doubt.

why? because what is telling you to not give them the benefit comes from your own self. am i being picky on this? i still love your ideas though.

Paint_It_Black
02-10-2006, 03:17 AM
It was interesting, yet irritating.

Little_Miss_1565
02-10-2006, 03:36 AM
why? because what is telling you to not give them the benefit comes from your own self.

Um, no, what is telling him not to give them the benefit of the doubt comes from a scientific education.

reader
02-10-2006, 04:30 AM
Humeian sceptism is awful. Interesting but awful. So those stupid reasons of driving facts from our minds or we can't know anything are just.... awful. But still it always pwns physics.

The movie was rubbish from what I hear. He took Heisenberg's uncertainty principle to the crazy level of changing yourself by observing yourself. Simon Singh ripped it:

I have spent my entire working life either doing science or conveying its meaning and beauty to the public. Consequently, I despise What the Bleep Do We Know!?, because it distorts science to fit its own agenda, it is full of half-truths and misleading analogies, and some of its so-called scientific claims are downright lies. Worse still, having achieved cult status in America, this film has already duped millions into mistaking pure claptrap for something of cosmic importance.

For example, WTB explains how quantum physics implies a crucial role for the observer in any experiment - so far, so good, except it requires several years of study to appreciate the subtlety and true significance of this statement. However, WTB is not too bothered about the truth. The water experiment is junk pseudo- science of the worst kind and has never been replicated by a mainstream scientist. Nevertheless, WTB carries down its illogical path by suggesting that if observing water changes its molecular structure, and if we are 90% water, then by observing ourselves we can change at a fundamental level via the laws of quantum physics. Thanks to WTB, this kind of ridiculous balderdash is being peddled by the likes of Drew Barrymore on the David Letterman Show.

And if you are still considering going to see this film, then please bear in mind the credibility and motives of the interviewees in the film. John Hagelin, one of the PhD physicists, is from the Maharishi University of Management. Take my advice and do not see this film. I repeat, do not see this film. I repeat again, do not see this film. If you do, then you will leave the cinema misinformed, 8 poorer and having wasted two hours of your life.

JoY
02-10-2006, 06:13 AM
never heard of it.

0r4ng3
02-10-2006, 12:19 PM
^ Wow, I was about to say the exact same thing, but as a joke.

Endymion
02-10-2006, 12:54 PM
He took Heisenberg's uncertainty principle to the crazy level of changing yourself by observing yourself.
the uncertainty principle and decoherence are easily the most commonly corrupted and misinterpreted physics concepts by the so-called layman. it can drive one mad hearing people who have never studied physics pretend they know all about it and making crazy accusations, similar to "looking at water changes its molecular structure."

Drummerguy123
02-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I definately did not buy that one. I believe that my mind and brain can't change the physical properties, but I do believe that my mind and brain can alter our perception of what we think is "real."

wheelchairman
02-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I definately did not buy that one. I believe that my mind and brain can't change the physical properties, but I do believe that my mind and brain can alter our perception of what we think is "real."
So you believe the mind and brain (why are these two separate things now, :() can alter our perception of what we think is real. Or in other words change HOW we think of things. Shit, my brain changes how I think all the time. Sometimes I think angrily, others illogically. Right now slightly sleepy and slightly wishing you would stop being stubborn and admit you were wrong.

You never see me argue physics with the following people: Endy, sKratch, and Betty. There is a reason why to. :p