PDA

View Full Version : Snapping

Tankster949
02-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Ok I have this friend who snaps (takes a rubber band and snaps it against his wrist). What else could he do that would be healthier?

T-6005
02-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Get laid?

It's not like it's the most unhealthy habit ever.

Andy
02-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Whaaaaaaaat?

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-10-2006, 07:47 PM
I used to do that with my Livestrong bands when I was bored in class. Look at me now. I'm perfect.

Sunny
02-10-2006, 07:50 PM
he should stop being a pussy and just start cutting himself instead.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-10-2006, 08:06 PM

hahahaha, lmao, I am thinking about quoting that in my signature... I would like to know why he is doing it:

Bored?
Emo?
Retarted?

Andy
02-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Catholic?.

mrconeman
02-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Most remedial thread ever?

Jebus
02-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Snapping? wtf? I can't even find that on google.

0r4ng3
02-10-2006, 08:38 PM
I didn't find anything when I searched "snapping" on Google.

Nothing pleasant, anyway.

T-6005
02-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Boom shakalaka.

If I'm the only one that translates that as "MAN YOU ARE FUCKING PWNT TO DEATH", I'm sorry. But just my general awesomeness should make it alright.

And if it doesn't - whatever, laughing on my own has always been my thing anyway.

Or anywayS.

the_GoDdEsS
02-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Boom shakalaka.

That's one funny song.

The trend among kids these days is strangling themselves with scarfs and seeing who lasts the longest without breath.

Tizzalicious
02-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Snapping? Is that the new thing?

Some people are really strange.

bd007h
02-11-2006, 12:59 AM
here's my advice.....

Get a friend that isn't mentally unstable

Paint_It_Black
02-11-2006, 01:13 AM
What else could he do that would be healthier?

Take a brisk 15 minute walk, stop for a salad, then go home and take vitamin supplements?

reader
02-11-2006, 01:22 AM
A google search about self harming with rubber bands (http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2005-09,GGGL:en&q=rubber+band+self+harm)

Sin Studly
02-11-2006, 01:23 AM
Snapping isn't new. Lots of people who are manic and/or stressed do it, it's like a nervous tic kinda thing. It's the same a squeezing a stress ball or smoking cigarettes. I just never realised it actually had a name.

Rocky-girl
02-11-2006, 03:20 AM
Never heard about Snapping. But what can I say. Every person do what he would like to do...

neocon58
02-11-2006, 03:21 AM
So what do you call a person who Snaps for attention, but dosen't really Snap because they are too pussy?

Paint_It_Black
02-11-2006, 04:06 AM
So what do you call a person who Snaps for attention, but dosen't really Snap because they are too pussy?

That was pretty fucking funny actually.

0r4ng3
02-11-2006, 05:19 AM
here's my advice.....

Get a friend that isn't mentally unstable
How does snapping a rubber band make one mentally unstable?

Hey, everyone! I chew pens! I'm on the edge of sanity! Put me in a padded room!

Andy
02-11-2006, 05:22 AM
Well I suppose doing that 'snapping' thing is better than slicing the fuck out of yourself. It's still ridiculous though.

Sin Studly
02-11-2006, 05:34 AM
Uh... it's not self-harm. It's like chewing pens, or fidgettng, or playing with your hair, or something like that.

Andy
02-11-2006, 05:35 AM
I'd say it was a form of self-harm for pussies

Sin Studly
02-11-2006, 05:57 AM
Nah, it's just some peoples way of grinding their teeth, playing with their hair, whatever. Some shrinks reccomend it for OCD people.

Andy
02-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Oh fair enough. You really do learn something new every day

Sinister
02-11-2006, 06:57 AM
Well I suppose doing that 'snapping' thing is better than slicing the fuck out of yourself. It's still ridiculous though.

it's actually not as good, 'cause at least the cutters have a tiny chance of going too far and killing themselves. which is a good thing for everyone else.

edit : but otherwise, both are extremely annoying.

0r4ng3
02-11-2006, 06:59 AM
I still don't get what makes rubber band snapping so bad. Why do you want them to die? Do you even know anyone personally who does this?

Andy
02-11-2006, 07:00 AM
it's actually not as good, 'cause at least the cutters have a tiny chance of going too far and killing themselves. which is a good thing for everyone else.

edit : but otherwise, both are extremely annoying.

Good point. Surely something can go wrong with the snapping though? Well, except for a bad eye if it snaps or something. I don't know.

Tankster949
02-11-2006, 07:24 AM
Well, he actually was able to cut himself by snapping it so fast it made a thin cut and a huge bruise.

Andy
02-11-2006, 07:32 AM
Now THAT would be an achievement.

Disfigured_Shadow
02-11-2006, 07:45 AM
Okay, first off only tankster949 really knows me. Since all of you like to say shit let me give u my reason for snapping. I snap to control my anger and because I like the feeling of it. Sure someone said I should cut but I'd rather break some blood vessels inside and have my blood clot than let it out. I don't do it for attention if your thinking that. If I wanted attention I'd go and cut myself, but I don't need attention.

Andy
02-11-2006, 07:50 AM
HA! Told you he did it instead of cutting! Andy wins.

Disfigured_Shadow
02-11-2006, 07:53 AM
say what you want, but if I'm not hurting anyone besides myself everyone stays happy

Sin Studly
02-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Alright, but OCD and manic people do snap to control their nervous energy. In this case it would seem the person is just an absolute fucking retard.

Disfigured_Shadow
02-11-2006, 08:16 AM
yeah ima fucking retard alright, but hey, I don't see that as being a problem

Sin Studly
02-11-2006, 08:42 AM
I'm sure your poor parents do.

Disfigured_Shadow
02-11-2006, 09:29 AM
stupid fucking moron i was being sarcastic

Disfigured_Shadow
02-11-2006, 09:31 AM
stupid fucking moron i was being sarcasticI lock myself alone in a room. Drink until the clock strikes noon with just a pen, a pill, and some paper.

Sunny
02-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Uh... it's not self-harm. It's like chewing pens, or fidgettng, or playing with your hair, or something like that.

That's weird, because i've encountered people who switched to snapping from cutting as a method of quitting... because well, a rubber band snap also kinda hurts. so they just use it as a bloodless replacement.

Nina
02-11-2006, 12:30 PM
But...it hurts! Like hell! Even cutting can be tolerated (And my pain tolerance is reeaallly low) but snapping is like "fucking OUCH".

Sin Studly
02-12-2006, 12:51 AM
That's weird, because i've encountered people who switched to snapping from cutting as a method of quitting... because well, a rubber band snap also kinda hurts. so they just use it as a bloodless replacement.

Well, that's just fucking retarded and stupid. I've only ever known manic and bipolar people to do it.

Telekinesis
02-12-2006, 01:17 AM

it does kind of make sense to snap to help stop cutting, I cut myself sometimes and no I don't do it for attention, I do all I can to stop people from finding out. I read this article on cutting and a psychologist reccomended snapping or ice cubes instead, something that doesn't pierce the skin. I actually have tried snapping as a alternative to cutting just so people will leave me alone about my cuts. It really pisses me off that people see cutting as emo and also bd007h, mentally unstable people still deserve friends, without them they might just have another reason to kill themselves, think about it. Well that's my two cents please don't flame me and call me emo and an attention seeker, coz I told you that I don't do it for attention, I do it because of pent up anger and depression. Now leave this poor dude alone, he's already got enough problems.

Sin Studly
02-12-2006, 02:03 AM
You're too stupid to feel anger or depression.

Sunny
02-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Well, that's just fucking retarded and stupid. I've only ever known manic and bipolar people to do it.

Being bipolar, I must honestly say I've never done it or even considered it for any reason. What would it possibly do? occupy my hands when i'm manic/jittery? it hurts like a mufu, no thanks.

As for it replacing cutting, i've cuted my vains good and plenty, but every time I accidentally snap with a rubber band, my reaction is "OWW FUCKING HELL MOTHER FUCKER GOD DAMMIT". not very cathartic at all, i must tell ya.

Disfigured_Shadow
02-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Well snapping has controlled my anger so I'm not complaining

JoY
02-12-2006, 02:03 PM
yeah ima fucking retard alright, but hey, I don't see that as being a problem
yes, you are. & not even for being a 'snapper'.

Sin Studly
02-13-2006, 12:25 AM
occupy my hands when i'm manic/jittery?

Yes. I think it's only reccomended for people who gnaw their fingernails till they bleed or grind their teeth till they start cracking apart.

And I vaguely remember something about it being used for anger manangement and violent psychotics stuff too, when the "bad thoughts" come they're supposed to snap a rubber band until they've calmed down.

Doing it for the pain is lame. At least be hardarse like me and ask your mother to wash your shirt with extra starch (cause the paaaaaain is so pure and godlike)

JoY
02-13-2006, 01:04 AM
Yes. I think it's only reccomended for people who gnaw their fingernails till they bleed
I might have to try some time then in that case.

tonight I had a nightmare that I ripped one of my fingernails too far & that I missed one entire fingernail but a tiny piece of it. & in my dream it didn't even bleed, when normally it often does.

T-6005
02-13-2006, 01:32 AM
I cut myself sometimes and no I don't do it for attention, I do all I can to stop people from finding out.

don't flame me and call me emo and an attention seeker, coz I told you that I don't do it for attention, I do it because of pent up anger and depression.
Who the hell ever admits that they do it for attention. I mean seriously.

killer_queen
02-13-2006, 06:46 AM
it does kind of make sense to snap to help stop cutting, I cut myself sometimes and no I don't do it for attention, I do all I can to stop people from finding out. I read this article on cutting and a psychologist reccomended snapping or ice cubes instead, something that doesn't pierce the skin. I actually have tried snapping as a alternative to cutting just so people will leave me alone about my cuts. It really pisses me off that people see cutting as emo and also bd007h, mentally unstable people still deserve friends, without them they might just have another reason to kill themselves, think about it. Well that's my two cents please don't flame me and call me emo and an attention seeker, coz I told you that I don't do it for attention, I do it because of pent up anger and depression. Now leave this poor dude alone, he's already got enough problems.
I totally undrestand you. But you should stop cutting. I can't stand knowing that people are having pain. Try listening some metal music. It will pent up anger and depression. Don't forget to sing along loudly. Metal forever!

Telekinesis
02-13-2006, 11:32 PM
I totally undrestand you. But you should stop cutting. I can't stand knowing that people are having pain. Try listening some metal music. It will pent up anger and depression. Don't forget to sing along loudly. Metal forever!

thanks for understanding ^_^ I try the music thing sometimes but I haven't really got any good heavy metal, lol, the only metal bands I have albums of I think are Slipknot and Fantomas. Well thanks again, I'll try the music thing next time I feel like cutting. And I swear I don't do it for attention, those people who do do it piss me off, I remember once one of my friends rolled up her sleeves and was "showing off" her cuts and telling my other friend how she did it just to piss her dad off. How people can actually show people their cuts I don't understand, it just scares me so much that people are gonna find out and make me feel like more of a freak than I already am, some people have found out but I just denied it, said I fell over, it kinda makes sense since I cut on my legs, meh, well bye bye everyone

JoY
02-14-2006, 01:24 AM
Telekinesis, at some point you get the urge to cut, right? it doesn't even have to be induced, it could be at any random moment that it captures you & takes you as it's hostage. just think about it. where does that urge come from? is it really out of nowhere, or do you have something to work out? you'll have to face whatever the problem is & I can assure you, it isn't really under your skin, but only in a matter of speaking. when you feel like cutting, just don't. fight whatever is fighting you to bend you & trick you into hurting yourself & find out what it is. 'procrastinate' the cutting as much as possible, until you break & you have to. slowly, but surely, your self-worth gets the time to restore bit by bit. every time you don't cut, you become as relieved, as if you had cut yourself. I swear, you'll start doing it less & less, until one day you can't remember when was the last time you cut.

I don't expect you to take my advice, nor do I expect it works the same for you as it did for me, but you could always give it a try. I thought it'd be the hardest thing I'd ever do, to quit cutting. in the end it was WAY more easy than solving the actual problem. looking back, cutting was the silliest way of venting I can imagine. so unnecessary. & all this time I was scared it'd be hard to stop, when it wasn't all that hard at all.