PDA

View Full Version : Cover: Bohemian Rhapsody

jrk247
02-14-2006, 11:48 AM
I really think The Offspring should do a cover of Bohemian Rhapsody. It would truely sound awesome!

DexterWannabe
02-14-2006, 11:52 AM
i dunno what that is but i'm sure it would sound like shit

Cejus
02-14-2006, 11:53 AM
As much as I like "Bohemian Rhpasody" AND The Offspring... I doubt it would be a good cover. :(

I don't know, it's just that I can't imagine Dexter singing the "Galileo, Galileio, Galileo, Galileo, Galileo, Figaro magnífico" part... hahaha

Cejus
02-14-2006, 11:54 AM
:eek:

It's probably the best song by Queen. =)

jrk247
02-14-2006, 11:55 AM
If you've ever heard "Bohemian Rhapsody" you would think different.

Rufus
02-14-2006, 11:56 AM
I like Bohemian Rhapsody but I don't think it would work with The Offspring singing it

jrk247
02-14-2006, 11:57 AM
It would be unique.

Mannen som blev en gris
02-14-2006, 12:05 PM
a) that song is very overrated
b) Dexter can't sing (and especially not like Freddie Mercury)
c) they simply wouldn't be able to do it

edit: but when I think about it... Maybe it would be fun. Not good, but fun.

darko
02-14-2006, 12:07 PM
it might just be funny......

HeadAroundU
02-14-2006, 12:44 PM
it would be damn funny!!!!!!!!!1 :D

That_Guy91
02-14-2006, 12:58 PM
It would be unique.
That wouldn't mean it's good.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Eh. It might be cool. But Ill agree with whoever said the galelio part. Ahah. Dexter singing that would be funny

rlplaymaker
02-14-2006, 02:29 PM

what the hell are you talking about.

a) that song is amazing
b) Dexter has a MUCH better voice than freddie........no disrespect to him cuz i still love Queen.
C) They'd be able to do it, but the song would just sound like shit.

Sorry jrk, the only band that should ever sing Bohemian Rhapsody is Queen. Bottom line. not a good cover. I think a good cover for the Offspring would be "Answer the Phone" by Sugar Ray.

offspring_freak_3
02-14-2006, 02:37 PM
it would sound weird. its a very funny song, its great but i think it would be very weird the offspring covering this song, specialy those wierd voices. lmao

mrconeman
02-14-2006, 02:44 PM

what the hell are you talking about.

a) that song is amazing
b) Dexter has a MUCH better voice than freddie........no disrespect to him cuz i still love Queen.
C) They'd be able to do it, but the song would just sound like shit.

Sorry jrk, the only band that should ever sing Bohemian Rhapsody is Queen. Bottom line. not a good cover. I think a good cover for the Offspring would be "Answer the Phone" by Sugar Ray.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

SilverFox
02-14-2006, 05:27 PM
I agree with the majority. My answer is simply this: HELL NO.

Sorry, but I can't imagine them actually recording a cover of that song. Thinking about it does make me want to laugh out loud though. XD

punker
02-14-2006, 05:46 PM
they should do it just for fun, dexter and noodles trying to do that voices would be hilarious

Mr. Noodles
02-14-2006, 05:47 PM
It might sound all right.

If they make a cover of the song or not, I'm still gonna prefer the Offspring's cover of "I wanna be sedated".

barangatang
02-14-2006, 06:45 PM

You, my friend, are yet to live.

jrk247
02-14-2006, 07:24 PM
they should do it just for fun, dexter and noodles trying to do that voices would be hilarious
Don't forget higgins, And it would be cool if Greg K. did a little too.

jrk247
02-14-2006, 07:24 PM
That wouldn't mean it's good.
It might, but it would most likely sound funny.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-14-2006, 09:19 PM
b) Dexter has a MUCH better voice than freddie........no disrespect to him cuz i still love Queen, though.

No. just no.

The Offspring would NEVER pull a cover of this song off. They just aren't that kind of band. Why don't we ask The Bloodhound Gang if they could cover Stairway To Heaven? Because that notion is just as ludicrous as The Offspring covering Bohemian Rhapsody. I'm sorry, but there's just some songs/bands that other bands shouldn't touch.

Hypodermic_89
02-14-2006, 10:21 PM

did you just say that Dexter can't sing? :confused:

Venom Symbiote
02-15-2006, 01:13 AM
It's a great song, just not the right band for the job.

Funnily enough, I *could* see System of a Down doing it, though. And pretty damn well at that!

I'm not even a huge System fan or anything, but they would definitely be more suited to that particular track than Dexter & the guys.

However, things like the AC/DC and Police covers? I can't think of any better modern group than The Offspring to play/record those. Noodles' guitar sound is basically an evolution of AC~DC (in tone) in my opinion, and Dexter is just plain brilliant with those high notes. He has more of a "shriek" than Bon Scott/Brian Johnson/Sting though, which sort of makes his versions sound more "aggressive" and "manic". Very cool though.

OffspringPhreak
02-15-2006, 03:43 AM
No need to say Dexter's voice sucks or talk crap about Queen just because you don't like the idea.

I personally think it's a horrible idea. I love the Offspring(obviously) and Queen kicks ass, but I don't think that song would work. Perhaps a different Queen song? It'd be interesting to see what would come out with them doing a cover of a Queen song(not Bohemian Rhapsody).

They could probably pull it off(don't ask me what song it would be though I dunno), there's some potential I guess, but would a cover of a Queen song be needed? Other than just to do it?

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-15-2006, 04:22 AM
No need to say Dexter's voice sucks or talk crap about Queen just because you don't like the idea.

I personally think it's a horrible idea. I love the Offspring(obviously) and Queen kicks ass, but I don't think that song would work. Perhaps a different Queen song? It'd be interesting to see what would come out with them doing a cover of a Queen song(not Bohemian Rhapsody).

They could probably pull it off(don't ask me what song it would be though I dunno), there's some potential I guess, but would a cover of a Queen song be needed? Other than just to do it?

This is pretty much what I think. I think it's possible for The Offspring to do a Queen song, just not Bohemian Rhapsody. Sum 41 covered "Killer Queen", and I think they pulled it off surprisingly well. I was impressed. I think the Offspring could do this too. Just not sure what song exactly. Maybe "Fat Bottomed Girls"? I don't know.

platinumpt
02-15-2006, 04:26 AM
No. just no.

The Offspring would NEVER pull a cover of this song off. They just aren't that kind of band. Why don't we ask The Bloodhound Gang if they could cover Stairway To Heaven? Because that notion is just as ludicrous as The Offspring covering Bohemian Rhapsody. I'm sorry, but there's just some songs/bands that other bands shouldn't touch.
Seconded COMPLETELY.

But I confess I'd like to hear Noodles or Greg K singing the "scaramus scaramus will you play the fandango" part

Venom Symbiote
02-15-2006, 04:45 AM
QUOTE:
"I think the Offspring could do this too. Just not sure what song exactly. Maybe "Fat Bottomed Girls"? I don't know."

:D Now THAT I'd be on board with!

Awesome.

killer_queen
02-15-2006, 06:42 AM
It wouldn't be good, it wouldn't be funny and it wouldn't be ignored by me. I like The Offspring and all that crap but not just Dexter, all of the people with a bad voice and piano skills must be away from Queen's songs.

And Sum 41 covered Killer Queen? They must be killed. Idiots.

HeadAroundU
02-15-2006, 07:02 AM

Funnily enough, I *could* see System of a Down doing it, though. And pretty damn well at that!

I'm not even a huge System fan or anything, but they would definitely be more suited to that particular track than Dexter & the guys.

I second that!

*Don't Stop Me Now by Vandals is briliant*

its one fine day
02-15-2006, 08:46 AM
omg! you haven't heard bohemian rhapsody?

jrk247
02-15-2006, 11:18 AM

Now that I think about it that might actually be cool. I mean SOAD do the weird voices/sounds. :D

Mr. Noodles
02-15-2006, 01:00 PM
The Offspring should cover Death on Two Legs.

That could sound good.

Mannen som blev en gris
02-15-2006, 01:00 PM
did you just say that Dexter can't sing? :confused:
Well, yeah. Don't get me wrong, he can sing. Punk songs. You don't really need to be a good singer to sing punk songs, you don't even need a good voice. To sing a song like Bohemian Rhapsody, however, originally sung by Freddie Mercury, one of the most talented rock singers ever, you've got to have the right technique, gotta have skillz, y'know? Bohemian Rhapsody is a lot more advanced than any Offspring song, and even Queen had trouble performing it live, so Dexter just wouldn't be able to do it.
Though they could do it for fun, like when they did Hit Me Baby One More Time.

And whoever said SOAD should do it: yeah, that might be cool. Serj has an amazing voice, and they'd probably make it all... you know, SOAD. Weird, in a good way.

And rlplaymaker: I DO love the song. I just don't think it's as great as everyone says.

shnooble
02-15-2006, 02:52 PM
It would be funny but painful to hear Dexter singing that

Venom Symbiote
02-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Mannen, I know what you're getting at, but Dexter isn't your "typical punk singer" either, y'know? He's got a lot more range than most other guys fronting punk-rock groups. And is "unique" in a way.

That being said, I am with you on him not exactly being the right guy for that particular song.

And yeah, I was thinking more the other guy doing vocals on it, not Serj. The freaky-looking short guy who looks like Gollum with a mullet. :) He does half the vocals on a lot of the newer tracks. It could be a sort of duet thingie, like their double album is. And yeah, it would have to be "metalled-up" a little too, obviously.

SuperKnux
02-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Yeah, unfortunatly Dexter would not be able to pull a song like this off. He's even stated in interviews he can't get those high notes right. They couldn't cover "Roxanne" by The Police because of it. While his voice has some pretty good ranges and styles, it is not near the range as Freddie Mercury.

Llamas
02-15-2006, 10:30 PM
it would sound weird. its a very funny song, its great but i think it would be very weird the offspring covering this song, specialy those wierd voices. lmao

funny song?? do you have ANY idea what it's about?? oh my god. Not even remotely a funny song... it makes me very sad when people don't know what Bohemian Rhapsody is about :-/

And it's one of Queen's BETTER songs... not their best.

Dexter would not sound good singing that song... and the whole band I don't think is good enough to pull off that style of a song. Way too power-ballad-progressive-rock-y.

Venom Symbiote
02-16-2006, 04:18 AM
And it makes me very sad when people say "Bohemian Rhapsody" is one of the best Queen songs.

Psheesh. ;)

Llamas
02-16-2006, 04:40 AM
you don't like it?

I was never a fan of queen's heavy stuff... always liked the very dramatic songs with outstanding vocals (the show must go on, under pressure, who wants to live forever?, etc). BR is a great song, I think... overplayed and heard too many times, but a great song, nonetheless.

Nounou
02-16-2006, 09:14 AM
This topic makes me think of the movie "Wayne's World" when they are with the drunkard in the car singing so stupidly :D

Venom Symbiote
02-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Best movie ever, or what? :D

Although I probably like the sequel even more, as blasphemous as that may be.

Nounou
02-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Yeaaah of course !

It's party time ! :D

WebDudette
02-17-2006, 11:01 AM

Hmm... it may sound even better unlikely but possible System of a Down do really good covers. Snowblind and Metro were amazing covers.

Llamas
02-17-2006, 02:11 PM
I love system. and Serj Tankian has much more vocal range than mercury did... soad would do a terrific cover of BR... PLUS it's along their style of music (as far as the really long, multiple part, prog rock style). I think they should do it.

H1T_That
02-17-2006, 02:22 PM
:eek:

It's probably the best song by Queen. =)

you clearly arent a queen fan then.

thats like saying pretty fly is the best offspring song.

Llamas
02-17-2006, 02:45 PM
dude that's not a fair comparison. BR was a great song, well written, deep, introspective, and moving. Pretty Fly was funny and quirky. Not comparable. BR WAS one of queen's best songs. Back in Queen's time, the radio worked differently- an artist would create their best songs FOR the radio. The rest of the album was made to be filler. Now, bands release what's going to do the best, and that stuff is often the filler on the cd. Plus, the offspring has always made horrible choices for singles since Americana.

BR might not be Queen's best song, but it ranks very highly. The lyrics and the music are terrific... plus it was the first mainstream HIT that dealt with such a liberal subject.

Venom Symbiote
02-17-2006, 09:34 PM
QUOTE:
"I love system. and Serj Tankian has much more vocal range than mercury did..."

Erm. Can anyone say "subjective"? ;) Haha. They've both got great voices, Serj does the wacky and unconventional, Mercury had a sort of classic almost theatrical voice. I guess both are theatrical, but in very different ways.

I'd say overall anyone would have to give Freddy Mercury the benefit of the doubt here. He's a classic.

Serj Tankian is great, but has only had, what, 6 years or something to prove himself. He's not exactly a rock god mainstay at present. So yeah...I don't think you can really say that, dude. Sorry. ;)

QUOTE:
"Hmm... it may sound even better unlikely but possible System of a Down do really good covers. Snowblind and Metro were amazing covers."

I haven't heard them...didn't even know System had thus far done any covers. But yeah, I'll check 'em out. Trusty Limewire! :) Thanks for the heads-up, sounds interesting. What bands were they by, excuse the ignorance?

Llamas
02-18-2006, 02:15 AM
SOAD has been releasing for 9 years, and Serj had been singing before then. The reason I think Serj is better is because he can pull off the style of singing that Mercury does, PLUS all that wacky shit.

Mannen som blev en gris
02-18-2006, 04:11 AM
I haven't heard them...didn't even know System had thus far done any covers. But yeah, I'll check 'em out. Trusty Limewire! :) Thanks for the heads-up, sounds interesting. What bands were they by, excuse the ignorance?
Snowblind is an old Black Sabbath song... And I think you can find a live video of it here: www.youtube.com

Venom Symbiote
02-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Yeah, Mannen, I found it on Limewire (song, not video). Thanks dude.

And Llamas, ok, my bad. I only found out about them with Toxicity, so that's where I'm estimating from. But yeah, they did have an album before that, so my mistake. Still, a decade isn't really too long.

Llamas
02-19-2006, 01:50 AM
true, a decade isn't that long. But just because Queen released longer (20 years, to be exact) doesn't make Freddie Mercury a better singer... Freddie could handle the heavier songs and the gorgeous ballads... very well done. Serj can do both of those. He can also do death metal sounds, though, and he can even grasp a brasher punkish voice. I don't know, I just don't see a genre of music Serj can't sing. Mercury was amazing, no doubt, but maybe less versatile. He was damn good at what he did, though.

Holger estonia
02-19-2006, 05:07 AM
Yeah !?? Maybe we should name The Offspring Givashit whatever! Dicklick!
Offspring is an exellent name.

MichealCorleone
02-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Offspring is an exellent name.

* excellent