PDA

View Full Version : The new Nellie McKay album, Get Away from Me

SicN Twisted
12-08-2004, 04:23 PM
I'm secure enough with my sexuality at this point to admit it is the best album released in the last three years or so. She's energetic, tormented, sensual, wonderful, ahhhh it's so fucking great I don't know what to do with myself. She's like Norah Jones meets Ella Fitzgerald, with a bit of Allanis Morissete but she's more talented all of them (accept Ella). Anyone else heard this new, beautiful British sardonic pop/jazz queen?

SicN Twisted
12-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Common, people. Are you all a bunch of musically oblivious morons? I expect heaps of excited replies comming from likeminded listeners.

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-08-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm gonna stick my nuts on the chopping block here and admit I've never heard of her.

SicN Twisted
12-08-2004, 05:15 PM
She's pretty obscure actually. But dl some of her songs, they're amazing.

Did I mention that I played alongside of her at the Sidewalk Cafe in the village last year?

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Nope. But do regail us while we sit in fascinated wonder.

Italia311
Actually...I think they most recent release from Teagan and Sara is much better. Check em out

SicN Twisted
Don't even attempt to be witty with me.

SicN Twisted
12-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Teagan and Sarah are kinda weak - they lack passion and finness.

Italia311
12-08-2004, 05:30 PM
lol no way man, they are good..listen to the lyrics...and they beat of there songs...oh ya. Plus they're hot..

SicN Twisted
12-08-2004, 05:36 PM
If that was a factor in what music I listened to, Hillary Duff would be on my playlist right now. Plus, Nellie's not too bad looking herself.

BREAK
12-08-2004, 06:30 PM
I tend to shy away from solo artists, particularly females. But I heard the new Neko Case album's really good!

Little_Miss_1565
12-08-2004, 06:43 PM
I fucking love Nellie McKay. My #1 favorite album of the year.

Tegan and Sara's album is really good, Neko Case's is better. But Nellie's beats them all.

Also, she's not British, though she sometimes pretends to be. God I would go so gay for her.

greencows12
12-08-2004, 06:58 PM
I'm secure enough with my sexuality at this point to admit it is the best album released in the last three years or so. She's energetic, tormented, sensual, wonderful, ahhhh it's so fucking great I don't know what to do with myself. She's like Norah Jones meets Ella Fitzgerald, with a bit of Allanis Morissete but she's more talented all of them (accept Ella). Anyone else heard this new, beautiful British sardonic pop/jazz queen?
I hope it wasn't happy pills that made you say that, cause i've never heard of her.

Italia311
12-08-2004, 08:03 PM
If that was a factor in what music I listened to, Hillary Duff would be on my playlist right now. Plus, Nellie's not too bad looking herself.

LoL ya got me there...whatta bout jessica simpson...shes pretty damn good...

I'll have to look into nellie mckay...thanx for the intro to her I guess..I dunno..lol I'll check it out

Mota Boy
12-08-2004, 08:17 PM
She's British?

Nellie McKay has managed to make a damn fine album and I want to make babies with her. I'm listening to it as I pound the occasional shot of Popov and "rip it" energy drink and writing the worst paper of my life about the rise of morality and religion in politics over the past three decades. I do think that it's a tad overrated though - just a tad - largely because of her unique sound... along with the bonus points she gets for being young, attractive and intense.

SicN Twisted
12-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Nellie's British - or at least by citizenship. She was born and raised in London, although I have no idea what her background is.

She's also much better then any of the other artists mentioned in this thread.

sKratch
12-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Now that I've mentioned myself, that is no longer true.

Mota Boy
12-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Nellie's British - or at least by citizenship. She was born and raised in London, although I have no idea what her background is.

She has a tremendous amount of American political (I'm skeptical about cultural references, as we export so much of it) references in her lyrics, including Bush, Janet Reno and the late Senator Wellstone. I'd be surprised to learn that she's just a dirty foreigner...

*swings by nelliemckay.com*

"She continues to reside in her native Harlem."

sKratch
12-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Strange, I simultainiously misread "Harlem" as several things, including some imaginary place starting with H that I made myself think was in England, and Harem.

SicN Twisted
12-09-2004, 10:18 AM
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll

She was raised in the United States but born in London. She moved here when she was to.

Trust me, I'm a huge fan of hers, as well as an aquaintance of hers.

Mota Boy
12-09-2004, 10:39 PM
OK, so she's technically British but we can still claim her? That's fine.

Would you have the faintest idea why Get Away From Me is a double CD? Combined, they total around 61 minutes and, if memory serves, the top number of music a CD can hold is something like 74 minutes. I'd assume people wouldn't press a double CD unless they had to.

Trust me, I'm a huge fan of hers, as well as an aquaintance of hers.

Tell her I said "hi".