PDA

View Full Version : Please Dexter, enough 'joke' songs

ForsakenProdigy
02-15-2006, 02:35 PM
I was just listening to you guys, and I realized I have to always hit SKIP over this crap...Sure theyre funny...after 1 listen. Make a serious heartfelt no filler 10-13 good song album and maybe then youll have Columbia actually promote your albums (unlike splinter) and have more buys! Ill buy the album regardless, because Im a devoted fan, but im part of a dwindling fan base (just look at the sales of the last albums, lower and lower).
American Idiot (I know ill get shit for comparision) but that album is all serious topics, great songs all the way through, not this poppy joke crap that have been littering the last few albums. Im sure youve heard it before from the millions who preach it, but 1 more time cant hurt :)

Will the next album be your last? I dont know, but you cant go out like this! :(

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-15-2006, 02:37 PM
What joke songs have they had...Worst Hangover Ever and what..thats the only song by them I consider a 'joke' song

ForsakenProdigy
02-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Original Prankster (killed co1) ..worsthangover, hit that, when youre in prison, da hui (that is NOT a serious song, if you wanna call it a song..so dam short) ..neocon isnt even a song, just miseria cantere ripoff filler

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Original Prankster (killed co1) ..worsthangover, hit that, when youre in prison, da hui (that is NOT a serious song, if you wanna call it a song..so dam short) ..neocon isnt even a song, just miseria cantere ripoff filler
Da Hui isnt a joke song. And I dont see how you think Hit That is a joke song. When Your In Prison isnt a song..but its jokeish. But its not a song

bd007h
02-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Pretty Fly is a joke song too

Sinister
02-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Da Hui isnt a joke song. And I dont see how you think Hit That is a joke song. When Your In Prison isnt a song..but its jokeish. But its not a song

WYIP is actually a song. not a very good one, but it IS undeniably a song.

Corpse
02-15-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't consider many if any of Offspring's songs joke. When you're in prison is bordering, but hell, weren't even a proper song.

And I beg to differ about your comment about American Idiot. Extraordinary Girl had no place in that album at all, it was a meaningless song that didn't have a story to it and was a waste of time.

ForsakenProdigy
02-15-2006, 02:45 PM
I think it not even being a song..on an album im buying to hear good songs makes it worse. Da Hui & Hit That arent serious. Iginition, smash, those were serious good albums, ever since the jump to the major label, theyre slowly sprinkled more and more crap on their albums, and splinter just takes the cake

(extraordiary girl is good, "shes all alone again, wiping the tears from her eyes" is a serious song)

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-15-2006, 02:48 PM
American Idiot can burn in the fires of Hell for all eternity

And a song doesnt have to be serious.

ForsakenProdigy
02-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Of course ill expect any mention of green day on an offspring board to be trashed, so its okay :)

Maybe im just so frustrated and disappointed over the last few albums, more lame songs, fewer sales, no marketing, the amount of singles barely passes 2...having to get the greatest hits out quickly to cover up the embarressment of splinter. I can assure you, another 'splinter' will yeild even lower sales (is that possible?), I hope they realize this

DICKON
02-15-2006, 02:52 PM
i quite like joke songs, they provide a bit of variation. Cool To Hate and I Choose are jokey songs, n they're good in Ixnay. Original Prankster isn't a joke song, wots funny about it? The song that wud make you laff on CO1 is Want You Bad and that rocks. I quite like joke songs, but i hate Worst Hangover Ever and When Your In Prision, they just suck. an album with 1 joke song would be good. so the album doesn't have the same feel throughout.

the_GoDdEsS
02-15-2006, 02:54 PM
I really think they should make a song about cutting. You depressed little kiddos would love it.

ForsakenProdigy
02-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Clearly people who enjoy this music are in the minority, or theyd actually push more than 2 singles (mma didnt even have a real music vid and played no where)...a band who can sell 10 million records SHOULD NOT be putting out albums that cant produce more than 2 singles

Sinister
02-15-2006, 02:55 PM
I really think they should make a song about cutting. You depressed little kiddos would love it.

I concur. It would probably be entertaining.

ForsakenProdigy
02-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Did anyone ever see the interview they gave on "much on demand" on muchmusic when splinter came out, everyone including myself saw Dexter look SO unenthused about his album it wasnt funny. They forget to make a hit that music video before the album comes out?? "we forgot...." ..had no idea what the one being made was gonna be about.."all we know is its animated.." ...didnt have a good explanation for the title of the album "it sounded..uh cool.." Too lazy to give the "one word albums gave us more sales" which he did in the past but or pehaps knew this WOULD NOT be the case here...I think he knew what was coming

offspring_freak_3
02-15-2006, 03:02 PM
if u dont like joke songs dont fuckin listen to it, dont buy/download the albuns. its so damn simple. they can do whatever they want, they will not stop making joke songs only because u and a few people dont like it, most people dont care about it, joke songs r good sometimes

ForsakenProdigy
02-15-2006, 03:05 PM
me and a few people who dont like it? i think its a lot more than a few, just look at the album sales lately

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-15-2006, 03:05 PM
If you dont like the shit they sell then dont buy it. Its as easy as that. If you dont like their music then your not a fan..and I dont think anyone here cares about the record sales, except the band. As long as they make music Ill listen to it. I could give a shit less if they sell one copy or a million. Ill listen to it because I like the music, and if you dont, then, well that sucks

Corpse
02-15-2006, 03:06 PM
And to even relate American Idiot to Splinter is a Sin. Something that should never be done. There is no comparison at all.

ForsakenProdigy
02-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Ah its impossible to discuss a band to their fanboys (easy to tell, just look at their number of posts) who would defend them if they made an album just farting on the mic.
Bottom line from me dexter, I believe you can make a masterpiece again, so do it and dont settle for less next time.

offspring_freak_3
02-15-2006, 03:09 PM
If you dont like the shit they sell then dont buy it. Its as easy as that. If you dont like their music then your not a fan..and I dont think anyone here cares about the record sales, except the band. As long as they make music Ill listen to it. I could give a shit less if they sell one copy or a million. Ill listen to it because I like the music, and if you dont, then, well that sucks
i totaly agree

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Ah its impossible to discuss a band to their fanboys (easy to tell, just look at their number of posts) who would defend them if they made an album just farting on the mic.
Bottom line from me dexter, I believe you can make a masterpiece again, so do it and dont settle for less next time.
So what you want them to do is...

Sell a multi platinum record
Have sold out shows around the world
Have little kids who arent fans of the music obsess over one song
Become the next Green Day? If they ever got that famous it would suck balls. Because people used to have not heard of my favorite band. And then they will

Screamer1
02-15-2006, 03:19 PM
I dont mind the "joke" songs, cuz no record can be TOO serious, or it wouldnt be very interesting.
But i dont much care for the intros, and funnie voices between songs. Not because they annoy me. . . . . but when there are 32 minutes on a cd and closer to 28 are music. . . . that kinda bugs me, but i still love The Offspring to Death

ForsakenProdigy
02-15-2006, 03:24 PM
yay! I wrote my topic when dex's new journal entry just was posted asking us to write in about album ideas :) (I think my basic idea was posted here)

Nick_MX
02-15-2006, 03:26 PM
so you don't like beheaded then huh?

joke songs are great!

Screamer1
02-15-2006, 03:28 PM
i think that the Offsprings jokes are hillarious. . . beheaded is awsome! but wasting time with things like "intermission".. . . . :s

nameless
02-15-2006, 03:31 PM
i can see how people would consider certain songs "joke songs" but i think the porblem came with the fact they released them as singles and they were just overplayed!

offspring_freak_3
02-15-2006, 03:32 PM
i can see how people would consider certain songs "joke songs" but i think the porblem came with the fact they released them as singles and they were just overplayed!
i'm thinking about pretty fly :rolleyes:

Screamer1
02-15-2006, 03:32 PM

I agree. . . . . . Pretty Fly For a White Guy is played by every cheerleading squad in America and Some parts of Mexico

offspring_freak_3
02-15-2006, 03:35 PM
I agree. . . . . . Pretty Fly For a White Guy is played by every cheerleading squad in America and Some parts of Mexico
in the fuckin whole world man, not only in america and mexico

Screamer1
02-15-2006, 03:38 PM
It was a joke. . . . . . . but yea that is true, i think the entire world has had enuff of Pretty Fly for a white guy, WDYGAJ. . . . . ect ect.

Ceejio21
02-15-2006, 03:39 PM
The Offspring will always tower well above Green Day. The whole punk explosion was an Offspring explosion not a Green Day explosion. I've never listened to Green Day in the past out of principle, however, I listened to some of the International Superhits last week and I don't know why I bothered. The Offspring will always remain number 1, Green Day have noting on Dexter and co.

Roll on the Offspring and the next record!

offspring_freak_3
02-15-2006, 03:41 PM
The Offspring will always tower well above Green Day. The whole punk explosion was an Offspring explosion not a Green Day explosion. I've never listened to Green Day in the past out of principle, however, I listened to some of the International Superhits last week and I don't know why I bothered. The Offspring will always remain number 1, Green Day have noting on Dexter and co.

Roll on the Offspring and the next record!
hell yeah! u said all. green day just sucks man

Nick_MX
02-15-2006, 03:45 PM
pretty fly for a white guy is still a funny fucking song though, lyrically.

the offspring don't choose their singles anyways, the record company does

ForsakenProdigy
02-15-2006, 03:55 PM
I think being able to criticize makes me a real fan. This band was the band who brought me into music, got me through the hardest of times, without them ...geez, id hate to think about it. I only wrote this because I want to see them succeed beyond all others, sell out stadiums, sell another 10mil albums. I want whats best for them, to be able to provide the best lives for their family, buy the biggest mansions, because they deserve it. Offspring is the only band I love that I DO wanna see blow up and be all over, because I know how great they are. Most bands I dont want to become popular, Offspring I do, I dont care if its 10yr olds or Grandpa's and Grandma's who goto their shows. I feel if they do better, theyll be less likely to retire early, and they can keep making albums (I do like splinter, but i feel the lack of seriousness, shortness, ZERO marketing killed it)
Hurry back to Montreal! :D

Jarrex
02-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Honestly though, you DONT want them to become another Green Day, i used to love Green Day and the offspring together (Brain Stew i love) but then American Dumbass came out, i couldn't take so much hypocritical lyrics [the media is how they are good yet the make fun of it like they arn't] so now its Pennywise/Offspring/Auto Pilotoff for me.

I liked Hit That, if you dont think of it as a joke, it really isnt IMHO

IxnayOnTheHombre69
02-15-2006, 04:27 PM

What the hell is that!?!?!? The offspring are not little emo queers

offspring_freak_3
02-15-2006, 04:43 PM
What the hell is that!?!?!? The offspring are not little emo queers
she was being sarcastic

bbqfishsticks
02-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Having sex for the hell of it leading to children being born into single parent homes that will be raised by a mother who isn't grown up herself
hahaha
You're right... What a great "joke song" Hit That is. :-P

ShitMaster
02-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Hit that is maybe not a "joke" song lyrically, but it is very unserious when a punk (or punk-rock just to get this song closer to us) band releases it.Some computer sounds, and filters or whatever on drums in few parts, are not really for this kind of music.I don't mind pure rock songs, that is one thing that is marking the Offspring, that is part of them,but that electro-pop sound is a little scary.What is gonna happen next?
I like joke songs, their lyrics, why not, because you can write about funny things in your life,it doesn't have to be "oh my soul, i feel bad...", there must be a time for fun in our lives.
But I don't like for example "why don't you get a job", that is classic s***, funny but it is obvious that they made that kind of songs just to sell them, and I can hear them on every corner.
Come on people, make a good punk (or punk-rock)!
I like Co1 but again Prankster is the one who will sell it,but it is not so bad.The others are also good,very good,and i think that somehow Special Delivery started that strange type of music that can be heard on "hit that".
:) That's it for now.Thx for listening.

killboybowerhead
02-15-2006, 06:01 PM
hit that is fucking punk because it is different, that song and pretty fly i really do respect. I mean yeah they have gotten old but both ridiculed some weird shit that was going on. As for joke songs, i agree there was too many on splinter for it being such a short album. But want you bad was light hearted and i thought that song was awesome. Da hui was a great fast punk song. Spare me the details is an awesome song aswell. The offspring know how to write their music.

ShitMaster
02-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Listen, short albums are punk albums.I like it short and straight better but I also like change of speed in songs.But I think that Splinter is not a short album, because when you listen to it (you may even exclude Prison) you are fulfilled, I swear! :)
14 songs is enough.Not more, It would be too much for their style.Maybe 2 albums in short time, but more than 14 not good.
But Hit That is a fuckin crap which they released just to get on shitty television.
Damn, what happened to true music playing?When they are on stage they have at least 2 additional musicians who are playing with them.Offspring are 4-member band, and most important a punk band!A punk band doesn't do that.
Look NOFX.Some of us will say that they have similar songs, and that they are boring, but that's not the point.The point is that, when you hear trumpet playing on album, and when you go and see them performing live, you will see that guitar player (El Hefe I think) is playing the trumpet, and other instruments.
In the end: Punk band should not release anymore songs like Hit That, that we are going to leave to someone else.

Llamas
02-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Oh. My. God. "No more joke songs. they suck". What?? Are you serious?? Beheaded and Bad Habit and Burn it Up are some of their BEST SONGS!!! And Hit That is a joke song?? WTF?? You people need to grow some brains.

Joke songs: beheaded, burn it up, bad habit, what happened to you?, mota, cool to hate, way down the line, don't pick it up, pffawg, wdygaj (though I don't count those two because they may be a little jokier, but they strongly play into the concept album that was Americana. They were serious in the context of the album), OP, want you bad, special delivery, one fine day, worst hangover eer, spare me the details.

Check that out- Ixnay had the MOST joke songs, and splinter had two.

I'd say that their "joke" songs have been getting poppier, but they're still funny and good addition to the albums. I like the funny songs as a breather in the album. I think what you should be asking for is either: less poppy songs, or more songs on the album. I like the funny songs, but I don't like the poppy ones. Sometimes the funny ones are poppy, and that's the case more recently.

rlplaymaker
02-15-2006, 11:35 PM
HOW DARE YOU COMPARE AMERICAN IDIOT TO ANYTHING THE OFFSPRING HAS EVER DONE. Hands down the worst album ive ever bought. And "Hit That" a joke song? dude, youre retarded. That song has a really serious meaning, even though its got a different sound to it.
My two pennies

Hux
02-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Da Hui a joke song? No.

Hit That a joke song? No.

Spare Me The Details a joke song? No fucking way.

Original Prankster is kind of jokish but it tells about how a guy played pranks on people really.

The Worst Hangover Ever is the only "joke" song. But you can't even call that a joke song. A song can be about whatever you want it to be. Just because it doesn't have feeling or is about something serious or anything doesn't mean it's a joke.

Llamas
02-15-2006, 11:50 PM
spare me the details is a joke song... listen to the lyrics. I laughed when I heard it, especially with lines like "and I don't need to hear about the sounds she was making, and I don't need to hear about how long it was taking, or how the walls they were shaking"... not a serious song. Plus dex has been married for a very long time, he obviously didn't write it as something that he can currently relate to.

a song about a kid playing pranks on people isn't serious... that's a dumb song. It's hard to define "joke song"

Hit that definitely isn't.

Hux
02-15-2006, 11:52 PM
spare me the details is a joke song... listen to the lyrics. I laughed when I heard it, especially with lines like "and I don't need to hear about the sounds she was making, and I don't need to hear about how long it was taking, or how the walls they were shaking"... not a serious song.
I disagree. Just describing the moment and how it was. Telling how he wants to block all that out and not think about it.

Lenny
02-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Any song could be a joke song, it just depends on what they sound like.
________
ECIG FORUM (http://vaporizer.org/forum/electronic-cigarettes/)

wazzup22
02-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Any song could be a joke song, it just depends on what they sound like.

Yer I agree, I like the joke songs as long that they have a punk feeling.

SuperKnux
02-16-2006, 02:07 AM
While I would have worded it differently, Forsaken basically said what I think about. Don't get me wrong, at the end of the day, my heart belongs to Dexter and the boys, but they should really consider stepping it up from now on. Doesn't mean they have to make strickly, straightfoward, punk tracks; but changing things up for the tradintional Offspring album would be kind of nice.

Venom Symbiote
02-16-2006, 05:25 AM
I agree about the need for a more "serious" album. Ixnay-style serious. "The Noose" and "Not the One"-style serious.

However, regarding "Spare Me the Details"?

'My girlfriend, my dumb donut' - Point in case. Joke song. That is too fucking hilarious to be in a serious track. Tell me you didn't burst out laughing almost spitting a mouthful of Coke at something or someone when you first heard that line. ;)

Llamas
02-16-2006, 05:48 AM
exACTLY :P thank you.

Corpse
02-16-2006, 06:44 AM
I see it like this. Green Day ruined themselves, they went away from being a punk band to being a i dunno what to say band.
Offspring will stay punk 4eva.

Titus
02-16-2006, 07:06 AM
I like joke songs...
They rox!

Venom Symbiote
02-16-2006, 07:55 AM
QUOTE:
"Green Day ruined themselves, they went away from being a punk band to being a i dunno what to say band.
Offspring will stay punk 4eva."

You're the kind of person that has me hoping for an Apocalyptic biological war. I mean..."punk 4eva" - Fuck.

The Nameless
02-16-2006, 08:15 AM
I think most of this chat is mindless. NONE of their songs are "joke" songs! All of the songs your nameing just sound different. Lyric wise, they are great and have meaning. When you say "joke" all that your refering to is the tone of the song. Which fit all songs well. All good songs, all fit well....End of story. :cool: :D

Rutegard
02-16-2006, 12:16 PM
those "joke" songs are really ok for me and i love them

jacknife737
02-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Nothing wrong with "joke" songs.

I don't know
02-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Shut up, the "jokes" songs are the best, they're awesome, and there are some songs that dexter writes that are funny but he's talking about a serious subject, and it's awesome. so shut up,go listen to green day. and dexter, don't listen to him, hehe :D

dirty_magic
02-16-2006, 01:46 PM
joke songs rock, just aslong as they arnt pop related in any way! im not a big fan of pretty fly, original prankster or hit that just because they sound like stuff you hear on mainstream radio produced by pop bands holding guitars

Ignition of a girl
02-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Offspring will fun!
That's ok and I think that the "joke" songs are really cool and they make sad songs too, for example Vultures, Million miles away...! Splinter is a crazy album and not the same as the other ones! That's very, very cool!
Green Day is not the same as Offspring and they make always the same music!

IxnayOnTheHombre69
02-16-2006, 02:22 PM
I like all of the joke songs, but I totally dont like the Splinter album because in Hit That, Noodles wasnt showing off his amazing guitar skills, it was all gay ass keyboards and shit, synthesizers are NOT punk

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-16-2006, 02:24 PM
The videos might be funny, but that doesn't mean it is a joke song.

Fspring
02-16-2006, 02:26 PM
I think Hit that it's not a joke at all, it talks about family problems nowadays... i can't see how that can be subject of jokes, but whatever... and these so called joke songs are the difference between offspring and most other bands.... if you listen to ramones, for example i think they have some joke songs... and that doesn't make them less punkish or a worst band, at least to my view... but that's just my view...

Corrosion
02-16-2006, 11:42 PM
Why do you refer to them as 'joke songs'? They have a proper name, and it's called sarcastic humour. It's what The Offspring does best. Beheaded, Mota, Way Down The Line, Pretty Fly, Original Prankster, Hit That, and therre are probably a few others that I missed. The only reason you hate the newer sarcastic humoured songs is because thye have more of a poppy beat. The lyrics are still brilliant, and thoughtful, it's just the sound that you people don't like.

I for one, am in favour of the sarcastic humoured songs. They show variety, and there at many other punk bands that have sarcastic humoured songs. It's a nice touch.

Little_Miss_1565
02-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Why do you refer ot them as 'joke songs'? They have a proper name, and it's called sarcastic humour. It's what The Offspring does best. Beheaded, Mota, Way Down The Line, Pretty Fly, Original Prankster, Hit That, and therre are probably a few others that I missed. The only reason you hate the newer sarcastic humoured songs is because thye have more of a poppy beat. The lyrics are still brilliant, and thoughtful, it's just the sound that you people don't like.

I for one, am in favour of the sarcastic humoured songs. They show variety, and there at many other punk bands that have sarcastic humoured songs. It's a nice touch.

I too like it when they show their sense of humor. The trouble comes, though, when it ends up being the same song over and over again--same themes, same troubles, everything. I'm willing to bet that I love pop music more than all of you combined, and I feel like the 'joke' songs need to get reigned in.

All the songs you named, save the last two, are examples of when they've really pulled off the sarcastic humor in a fantastic way. (Though, "Hit That" grew on me slowly but surely). It's when it gets to the point of "Worst Hangover Ever," "Spare Me the Details," "When You're in Prison" when it starts to become a bit cloying.

Hux
02-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Why do you refer to them as 'joke songs'? They have a proper name, and it's called sarcastic humour. It's what The Offspring does best. Beheaded, Mota, Way Down The Line, Pretty Fly, Original Prankster, Hit That, and therre are probably a few others that I missed. The only reason you hate the newer sarcastic humoured songs is because thye have more of a poppy beat. The lyrics are still brilliant, and thoughtful, it's just the sound that you people don't like.

I agree. Can't take life to seriously can we :p .

ShitMaster
02-17-2006, 05:57 PM
People, I wanna say that they don't need songs like Hit That in musical ways, because computer sound is not a punk sound!Once and for all!It sounds like a No Doubt (I wonder why they are calling themselves ROCK nowadays). I like the style of their songs for example I Choose.They could make hit that like that song or like Special Delivery (although SD is a little odd song). I am affraid that they will start to use drum machines, and then whole punk thing is dead!
Don't compare their songs, all of them are good, because they talk about life, sometimes from the funny side, sometimes not, and that is good.We don't want them to be too much "black"!
Conclusion: "joke" or "non-joke" songs are punk, because in our lives sometimes we are looking from the funny side some serious stuff, and from the "dark" side some funny things.And don't divide the songs.They are all perfect, noone can make them like The Offspring!

Ninty Man
02-17-2006, 07:13 PM
People, I wanna say that they don't need songs like Hit That in musical ways, because computer sound is not a punk sound!Once and for all!It sounds like a No Doubt (I wonder why they are calling themselves ROCK nowadays). I like the style of their songs for example I Choose.They could make hit that like that song or like Special Delivery (although SD is a little odd song). I am affraid that they will start to use drum machines, and then whole punk thing is dead!
Don't compare their songs, all of them are good, because they talk about life, sometimes from the funny side, sometimes not, and that is good.We don't want them to be too much "black"!
Conclusion: "joke" or "non-joke" songs are punk, because in our lives sometimes we are looking from the funny side some serious stuff, and from the "dark" side some funny things.And don't divide the songs.They are all perfect, noone can make them like The Offspring!

The Offspring it's not considered punk,in fact, it's considred punk-pop, happy punk, or rock-punk.

But...

The Joke songs... well, Pretty Fly rocks... Cool Too Hate rocks... I choose ROCKS!!!

The Worst hangoever ever... well, i think many remembers drunk days, or not???

When Youare in prison sux...

Maybe one song will be right

Dutch fan
02-17-2006, 07:33 PM
The Offspring should have one or two joke songs in their album, ontherwise it's just nog the offspring anymore. If you loke close at it, beheaded was sort of a joke song, only at another leven.

Extraodrinary girl has an important place in American Idiot by the way. She is the 'rebel' a.k.a. 'Whatsername'...

I rest my case

Ninty Man
02-17-2006, 08:39 PM
The Offspring should have one or two joke songs in their album, ontherwise it's just nog the offspring anymore. If you loke close at it, beheaded was sort of a joke song, only at another leven.

Extraodrinary girl has an important place in American Idiot by the way. She is the 'rebel' a.k.a. 'Whatsername'...

I rest my case

Please, stop about Green Day/ Offspring comparitions

I Like pretty much American Idiot ALBUM... but it's really the only good from Green Day, and the most whore way

Little_Miss_1565
02-17-2006, 09:52 PM
I Like pretty much American Idiot ALBUM... but it's really the only good from Green Day, and the most whore way

Don't even start. I'm serious. Don't. Even. Start.

Ninty Man
02-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Don't even start. I'm serious. Don't. Even. Start.

WTF??? :eek:

Piss off

neocon58
02-17-2006, 10:20 PM

Piss off

Please leave and don't come back until you can make a coherent post.

Little_Miss_1565
02-17-2006, 10:25 PM

Piss off

How can you have over 200 posts and still be a complete noob?

Tijs and I crack down hard on the Green Day bashing, because it is all boring, pointless, and most importantly has nothing to do with the Offspring, and one bashing statement quickly leads to more.

ShitMaster
02-19-2006, 04:30 PM
As I was saying, stop with the comparison between songs, 'cause all of them are good.But you have to agree with me that Offspring is not electronic band, it is a good (2 guitars,bass,drums,vocals) pop-punk, punk, punk-rock (is there more combinations between punk and other stuff :) ) band.They don't need computers in their songs!!!!!!!

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-19-2006, 04:43 PM

Tijs and I crack down hard on the Green Day bashing, because it is all boring, pointless, and most importantly has nothing to do with the Offspring, and one bashing statement quickly leads to more.
Because he hasnt been here long. Post count has nothing to do with anything. Its the amount of time youve been on the forums. Eh, right?

noodle654
02-19-2006, 06:48 PM

You get a high five! :)

Ninty Man
02-19-2006, 07:12 PM

Cause the same reason that you still post here

georgie/dexter
03-07-2006, 02:10 PM
NOOO DEXTER DONT STOP WITH THE JOKES!!!!!!!

forcyn
03-07-2006, 02:25 PM
NOOO DEXTER DONT STOP WITH THE JOKES!!!!!!!
AGREED!!!!!!!!!!

i-want-him-only
03-07-2006, 02:32 PM
AGREED!!!!!!!!!!
me too

and i don't know if this was said before (it's a long thread i don't fell like reading) but i don't think they give a shit about the sales, if they would, they wouldn't have almost all of their song to hear for free in their official site!!

BIG Nicky
03-07-2006, 02:36 PM
jokes can lighten the album up. Laughter = Fun

That_Guy91
03-07-2006, 02:54 PM
me too

and i don't know if this was said before (it's a long thread i don't fell like reading) but i don't think they give a shit about the sales, if they would, they wouldn't have almost all of their song to hear for free in their official site!!
How does that make sense? If they care about sales, they give you the album for free? That makes no sense.

Also, joke songs are usually ok, but in The Offspring's case, the serious ones are much better. Except for a few like Burn It Up and Beheaded.

i-want-him-only
03-07-2006, 03:15 PM
How does that make sense? If they care about sales, they give you the album for free? That makes no sense.

Also, joke songs are usually ok, but in The Offspring's case, the serious ones are much better. Except for a few like Burn It Up and Beheaded.

ok. maybe i did't express myself right, english is my second language.
i meat to say they don't give a shit about the sales, that's why they put the song to be heard by everybody.

Also, i remember reading an article where they said something like they weren't against piracy of music by the internet because it was a better way for bands to be heard by more people.

H1T_That
03-07-2006, 04:03 PM
I was just listening to you guys, and I realized I have to always hit SKIP over this crap...Sure theyre funny...after 1 listen. Make a serious heartfelt no filler 10-13 good song album and maybe then youll have Columbia actually promote your albums (unlike splinter) and have more buys! Ill buy the album regardless, because Im a devoted fan, but im part of a dwindling fan base (just look at the sales of the last albums, lower and lower).
American Idiot (I know ill get shit for comparision) but that album is all serious topics, great songs all the way through, not this poppy joke crap that have been littering the last few albums. Im sure youve heard it before from the millions who preach it, but 1 more time cant hurt :)

Will the next album be your last? I dont know, but you cant go out like this! :(

why do you care about how large the sales are? or being part of a massive greenday style fan base?

pyroahiru
03-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Hit that isnt a joke song...it gets a VERY good point across.Something thats going on in the world today...read the lyrics idiot.

code_blue
03-07-2006, 08:48 PM
hit that might not have lyrics that are a joke, but the sound of the song certainly isn't serious-sounding. everyone i know who heard it thought it was just another jokey offspring song.

i agree with this post. most of you just can't accept that the band is going downhill if they continue in their direction of releasing bad singles, ie songs that don't represent who they truly are. i totally love some of their more sarcastic songs like cool to hate, but releasing songs like original prankster and hit that as singles just isn't helping their cause.

Dexter_H
03-07-2006, 08:59 PM

He said they don't care about recrod sales ignoramus, and was using the fact that they give their songs away for free to support that.

yay
03-07-2006, 11:14 PM

Will the next album be your last? I dont know, but you cant go out like this! :(I agree totally. The next album will likely be the last simply because unless they go on to be another Rolling Stones or The Who, they are getting to old for it. The fact of the matter is though, a great band like The Offspring who have had so many awesome songs and redefined Punk Pop music, do not deserve to go out with the reputation and interest they currently have. A lot of people aren't taking them seriously anymore. They need a really solid album to let them go out with a bang, and show the teenage youth of today they do have what it takes.

DeAtHsTaR
03-07-2006, 11:16 PM
They still have one more album on contract after this one...... and it seems like they're having fun again. Remember, the last time they were speculating about breaking up was after CO1 came out. I really think they have what it takes to keep on going, if not very sucessfully.

I HAVE TO SEE THEM LIVE BEFORE THEY STOP!

Llamas
03-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Yes, you do! It's worth it!

And I greatly see this coming album as being the last one, unless they hit it HUGE and decide to stay in. Also, with the difficulty in finding a steady drummer, that might be a sore spot, too. I really hope they put a LOT of effort into this last one and "come out swinging" :P

That_Guy91
03-08-2006, 04:28 AM
He said they don't care about recrod sales ignoramus, and was using the fact that they give their songs away for free to support that.
Using the word ignoramus makes anything you say invalid. And the use of "recrod" makes me giggle.

Anyway, I know that now, but it was phrased badly in his first post, and it confused me.

pyroahiru
03-11-2006, 06:13 PM
I know the music to hit that might not be that serious but it gets people's attention,ya know?

Ninty Man
03-11-2006, 09:24 PM
They still have one more album on contract after this one...... and it seems like they're having fun again. Remember, the last time they were speculating about breaking up was after CO1 came out. I really think they have what it takes to keep on going, if not very sucessfully.

HELL YEAH!!

ME TOO

georgie/dexter
03-12-2006, 06:09 AM
i dont know why you guys think they are ganna stop after this album.
They just came out with a greatest hits and i think they are ganna do a few more albums to put out 1 more greatest hit and if not a best of album (there is a difference and i dont feel like arguing about it so before you write anything stupid think about it)

bouncingcoles
03-12-2006, 08:37 AM

neocon is not remotly a miseria cantere rip off. AFi was not the first band to think of making an intro song wih a chant dumb ass. its a pretty common thing.

bouncingcoles
03-12-2006, 08:38 AM

that rumor about them breaking up after CO1 was not true. it was just a rumor. the band even announced that it wasnt true from what i heard on the radio.

bouncingcoles
03-12-2006, 08:41 AM
I agree totally. The next album will likely be the last simply because unless they go on to be another Rolling Stones or The Who, they are getting to old for it. The fact of the matter is though, a great band like The Offspring who have had so many awesome songs and redefined Punk Pop music, do not deserve to go out with the reputation and interest they currently have. A lot of people aren't taking them seriously anymore. They need a really solid album to let them go out with a bang, and show the teenage youth of today they do have what it takes.

i agree. sure splinter had some good songs but overall that album was pretty much plauged with filler songs. they need to do what grenday did and make a seriose album. not that i think american idiot is an amazing album or anything, but i think its more impressive and seriose then any other album they put out. and thats what offspring needs.

Little_Miss_1565
03-12-2006, 08:47 AM
neocon is not remotly a miseria cantere rip off. AFi was not the first band to think of making an intro song wih a chant dumb ass. its a pretty common thing.

Come on, coles. "Neocon" was clearly inspired by AFI--not "Miseria Cantare" from STS, but several albums back--"Strength Through Wounding," which opens up Black Sails. We know Dexter is a huge AFI fan, and for crying out loud, just listen to the drums and to the lyrics of those two. "Neocon"'s lyrics basically translate to the main lyric from the AFI one---"Through our bleeding, we are one."

no_way
05-02-2006, 11:24 AM
yes maybe but NEOCON's lyrics are much worse.
i don't know if anyone mentioned ME AND MY OLD LADY, but that's suppoused to be a joke song, so as maybe much of the smash songs, don't pick it up and so on, i don't like them much either, but if an album was completely filled with serious songs i think i'd drown so, go on dex!

Emily_offspring_fan
05-02-2006, 11:27 AM
I hate this thread. Don't bump it.

offspring_freak_3
05-02-2006, 11:46 AM
i don't know if anyone mentioned ME AND MY OLD LADY, but that's suppoused to be a joke song, so as maybe much of the smash songs, don't pick it up and so on, i don't like them much either, but if an album was completely filled with serious songs i think i'd drown so, go on dex!
i hate you just because u bumpet this thread. this thread is idiotic

no_way
05-02-2006, 11:56 AM
i'm sorry does that bother you so much??
i just think the same about this guy/girl
but i won't do it anymore if that makes you happy

(to emily and offspring freak 3)

Emily_offspring_fan
05-02-2006, 02:15 PM
i'm sorry does that bother you so much??
i just think the same about this guy/girl
but i won't do it anymore if that makes you happy

(to emily and offspring freak 3)

Peace :)...

Nood!es
05-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Your fucking retarded. You bumped a 2 month old thread to tell us this? Wow.

rlplaymaker
05-02-2006, 08:51 PM

co1 was a great song, worst hangover ever was not a joke song...it was different, but it wasn;t a joke song. HOW CAN YOU CONCIDER HIT THAT A JOKE SONG???? fucking idiot, its about a serious topic. and to compare da hui's length, all i want is only 1:54 long, and dont tell me you dont like that song! .....the only real 'joke' song on that album is when ur in prison, and as far as im concerned, ur a bigger joke than any of these songs

rlplaymaker
05-02-2006, 08:52 PM
im guessing its an old thread by the previous posts, guess i wasnt around for it, sorry people :)

Ninty Man
05-03-2006, 08:51 PM
co1 was a great song, worst hangover ever was not a joke song...it was different, but it wasn;t a joke song. HOW CAN YOU CONCIDER HIT THAT A JOKE SONG???? fucking idiot, its about a serious topic. and to compare da hui's length, all i want is only 1:54 long, and dont tell me you dont like that song! .....the only real 'joke' song on that album is when ur in prison, and as far as im concerned, ur a bigger joke than any of these songs

Well... I think that Worst hangover it's a parody of drunk guys... Hit that joke??? Men, that dude it's totally retard

Shananzie
05-04-2006, 12:03 AM
I think the only real joke song that the offspring has done is when you're in prison. I thought they got someone else to sing it until i found out that it was actually dexter. the rest of the "joke songs" have a point to them.

And if the offspring tried to make an album like green day's, well, they would be green day rip offs, wouldn't they. I hope they don't copy green day's lead, but continue to follow their own path. They have their own style and humor is a large part of it. however, i did crave a more solid, traditional song after i listened to prison several times. Then I realized that's 100% their style, so fuck it.

If splinter had more songs on it, i don't think as many people would have complained about prison. the cd had what...12 tracks? take out the mandatory intro neacon, and prison, and you're left with 10 real songs to listen to. At this point, buying the songs on-line as opposed as to buying the actual album would save $$. if they want sales they need to give us more to chew on.

Llamas
05-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Agreed. s/t might have been just as short, but there are more songs on s/t than on splinter. sure, I listen to neocon and prison, but I don't listen to them as individual songs- only as openers and closers. I don't consider those, "welcome", "intro", "intermission", "disclaimer", or "time to relax" to be true songs. So even if you have the s/t without KTP on it, then you have 10 songs... just like splinter... however, I like every song on s/t- there aren't any I'd ever skip.

There are just too many on splinter that I could live without. Deep in my mind, splinter is half an album... this is why I think the next one should be a double disc set- to make up for it. I tend to skip or tune out "worst hangover", and I turn the album off after "lightning rod" most of the time... cause spare me the details is blah, da hui is okay but not worth listening to SMTD first, and prison isn't worth it, either. The last three just leave me thinking "meh". So I usually listen to 8 tracks... and neocon isn't a song... so really 7. It just doesn't feel like a full album to me.

I kind of compare it to a tool album. If you listen to Tool, you know that their albums usually have tracks on them that aren't songs, or they're like interludes. (Example: On the Lateralus album, "Parabol" is a prelude to "Parabola"... "Parabol" only lasts a couple minutes.) It's okay that Tool has those little ditties in there- those preludes and vocal-less parts- because if you took all of those things out, you'd still get a good 50 minutes of music. I consider it important for an album to have atleast 30 minutes of actual music... and on splinter, if you took off neocon and prison, it's less than 30 minutes... if it's under 30 minutes, I think it should be an EP...

OffspringPhreak
05-04-2006, 07:50 AM
The only thing that pisses me off about the joke songs is that they're always picked for the singles(well, I mean always picked for at least one of the singles anyways).

My favorite would have to be Don't Pick It Up though, dunno why, but that song just kicks ass. A lot of their joke songs have good serious points to them though(like Pretty Fly--the whole "white guy trying to be rapper" shit that started to spread like the plague). Pretty creative lyrics and whatnot once you think about it.

That's something they've always seem to do though and hopefully they'll continue doing it; you can't be 100% serious all the time.

offspring_r0ckz
05-04-2006, 12:03 PM
from where did you get the information of how often splinter was sold?

Biggest offspring fan
05-04-2006, 02:39 PM

JUST FACK OFF FROM THIS FORUMS!!!! If you dont like offspring you shouldent be here!! You cant compare offspring whith green day, offspring totally owns green day and green day is one of the worst bands i'l never heard!!!!! If you are saying that offspring make joke songs we souldent talk about green day!!

no_way
05-04-2006, 02:42 PM
haha, and you told me not to bump this thread... :p

rlplaymaker
05-04-2006, 03:27 PM
i agree. sure splinter had some good songs but overall that album was pretty much plauged with filler songs. they need to do what grenday did and make a seriose album. not that i think american idiot is an amazing album or anything, but i think its more impressive and seriose then any other album they put out. and thats what offspring needs.

the offsprings style really isnt serious......its a combination of many different emotions, lets let them make the music

no_way
05-04-2006, 03:34 PM
they need to do what grenday did and make a seriose album. not that i think american idiot is an amazing album or anything, but i think its more impressive and seriose then any other album they put out. and thats what offspring needs.

NOOO!!! i don't want the offspring to come up with an album like american idiot, cuz then they would become just like green day and some other bands on their comercial phase, please don't, it would be really annoying

jacknife737
05-04-2006, 03:55 PM
I consider it important for an album to have atleast 30 minutes of actual music... and on splinter, if you took off neocon and prison, it's less than 30 minutes... if it's under 30 minutes, I think it should be an EP...

I disagree, if you can't say say it in under 3 minutes per song, you can't say it at all. I really have no problem with an album under 30 min.

no_way
05-04-2006, 06:45 PM
I disagree, a if you can't say say it in under 3 minutes per song, you can't say it at all. I really have no problem with an album under 30 min.

no, I agree with what ilovellamas said, i like a few songs on that album very much, but as i said, there's few songs, three or four, and that's useless in an album. short, and i have to skip almost all the songs.

Little_Miss_1565
05-04-2006, 07:40 PM
NOOO!!! i don't want the offspring to come up with an album like american idiot, cuz then they would become just like green day and some other bands on their comercial phase, please don't, it would be really annoying

What do you think "original prankster" was? A band on a major label has to be in some kind of "commercial phase"--besides, Offspring are multiplatinum sellers, which makes them a commercial powerhouse.

no_way
05-04-2006, 07:44 PM
not as much as green day, compare them both, the offspring (at least in my country and in latin america) doesn't exist compared with green day, i know it's hard, but it's true, and i like it that way. and yes, "original prankster" was a comercial song, but at their style, not like green day they did wake me up.. boulevard and that sound doesn't sound like theirs at all

I'm going 2 bed bye!!

Ninty Man
05-04-2006, 08:12 PM
not as much as green day, compare them both, the offspring (at least in my country and in latin america) doesn't exist compared with green day, i know it's hard, but it's true, and i like it that way. and yes, "original prankster" was a comercial song, but at their style, not like green day they did wake me up.. boulevard and that sound doesn't sound like theirs at all

I'm going 2 bed bye!!

Well... it's a question of mainstream, and popularity

Little_Miss_1565
05-05-2006, 05:28 AM
not as much as green day, compare them both, the offspring (at least in my country and in latin america) doesn't exist compared with green day, i know it's hard, but it's true, and i like it that way.

That is really selfish.

AzureWrath
05-05-2006, 01:54 PM
The only Joke on Splinter is When your in prison....Hit that isnt a serious song, but it is actually a song that is pretty good. They have lightened up a little from their old albums, but that is just their style now. Original Prankster is a funny song but I think it is one of their best. If you dont like their style of having some songs that arent straight up hard fast punk, maybe you arent as big of a fan as you thought.

no_way
05-07-2006, 03:25 PM
That is really selfish.

it ain't selfish, it's realistic, ask someone from my country if they like offspring and they'll tell you "uh? osswhat? de que mierda me estas hablando?"

Ninty Man
05-07-2006, 08:20 PM
it ain't selfish, it's realistic, ask someone from my country if they like offspring and they'll tell you "uh? osswhat? de que mierda me estas hablando?"

Y yo te respondería: Pinche niño Pop, punk wannabe

Seriously dude, The Offspring it's known only for Pretty Fly and original

no_way
05-08-2006, 07:15 PM
do you know tnything about my country? it's not known!!!

Ninty Man
05-08-2006, 07:44 PM
do you know tnything about my country? it's not known!!!

Where do you live>??? Bolivia??? cuba??? Venezuela?

no_way
05-09-2006, 02:44 PM
:D argentina, on the place i live, only a few ones, who watch MTV, and i tell you, just pretty fly hit that etc... but the rest (and that's A LOT) listen to national rock

Emily_offspring_fan
05-09-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm from Argentina too and people know Offspring, not all but in general, they're known! at least by name!
the ones who does not know them are: the "cumbieros"

no_way
05-09-2006, 03:28 PM
maybe because you live in a complete different enviroment than mine, my school is more.. poor? I don't think so, but education is different, social classes are different

This is it.......

-50%: "cumbieros"
-43%: people who listen to "los piojos", "jovenes pordioseros", "árbol" (national rock)
-4%: people who listen to "Miranda" (shitty comercial pop)
-2%: people who listen to "Green Day"
-1%: people who might have heard about offspring (on mtv)

but i don't know at your school, maybe they are more "chetos" jeje :p

Emily_offspring_fan
05-09-2006, 05:22 PM
maybe because you live in a complete different enviroment than mine, my school is more.. poor? I don't think so, but education is different, social classes are different

This is it.......

-43%: people who listen to "los piojos", "jovenes pordioseros", "árbol" (national rock)

Full of that retarded.

SkunkIt
05-09-2006, 05:26 PM
I like the "joke" songs.

Ninty Man
05-09-2006, 09:03 PM

This is it.......

Bleh... maybe you live in Mexico and you didn't note it

Emily_offspring_fan
05-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Bleh... maybe you live in Mexico and you didn't note it
We're all Latins, buddy! :)

[@M3R0N
05-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Pretty Fly is a joke song too

PRETTY FLY HAS A MEANING AND A MESSAGE!!!! the world needs wannabes... with out them there wouldnt be any levels of popularity, which means, no rulers, kings or any other high form of popularity could make descisions! i rest my case!

Ninty Man
05-10-2006, 07:47 PM
We're all Latins, buddy! :)

Im a quarter arabian... I guess XD