PDA

View Full Version : Dexter's new journal 02/15/06

Ceejio21
02-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Firstly, we are greatly appreciative of such regular updates, it's really great to have such a contact with the band through the BBS. It's amazing how a post in the journal can really make the day of so many people.

I'm sure we'd all REALLY love to somehow hear that re-recorded version of Dirty Magic as it is a very special song to us aswell as the band, be it a b-side on a single or a bonus track on the new record.

In terms of the new sound for the new record. As hardcore fans we're all going to love whatever is produced. There's been alot of talk of recapturing the Self-Titled/Ixnay/Smash sound but at the end of the day, the band won't want to produce a 'duplicate' album. Rather, I think we'd just like to see some music that really defines The Offspring, something that really stays close to the roots (that of Self Titled/Ixnay/Smash) but also slightly diversifies as the band do want to experiment with new things.

To cut to the chase however, in terms of Splinter (the last album produced) I think songs like 'The Noose' (especially), Long Way Home, Never Gonna Find Me and Lightning Rod really proved to be a big hit with the hardcore fans.

But we'll stand by and support the band in everything they do!

Ceej

P.S A song like 'Dammit, I Changed Again' would be very cool!

offspring_freak_3
02-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Huntington Beach, CA (Dexter)
02/15/06

Last week I went out of town to meet with a guy who might produce our next record. I thought it went really well. Right now we‘re just kind of in that mode of figuring out what the next record is gonna be like, and writing songs. Why don‘t you guys write in and tell us what you think?

The version of Dirty Magic we recorded last year is an electric version with drums. That song is kind of special to us because it‘s one of those requests we always get from our most hardcore fans. Unfortunately, most people don‘t know the song, cause most people don‘t know our music from before Smash. We always thought that it was a good song, but that we could do a better job recording it now than we could back then. So we did it, and Atom played on it. It sounds great. I‘m not sure if it will come out someday or what. Maybe if you guys are really really nice…

Dexter

YAY! I FUCKIN WANNA HEAR THAT DIRTY MAGIC VERSION!

RonWelty
02-15-2006, 02:28 PM
i´m nice .....so put that fucking awsome song available for us :D

nameless
02-15-2006, 02:28 PM
im hoping it will find its way into their live set!

Call it an Obsession
02-15-2006, 02:30 PM
we're gonna be nice and we're gonna hear the new version

ForsakenProdigy
Play Dirty Magic live also, Everyone I play it for absolutely loves it, so play it live!!!! :D

RonWelty
cmon put that new version of dirty magic ONLINE FOR US ..... maybe a 30" clip PLEASE PLEASE !

offspring_freak_3
02-15-2006, 02:31 PM
i´m nice .....so put that fucking awsome song available for us :D
^^ i second that! come on dexter. we r such nice kids. put it available for us please :D

Ceejio21
02-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Apologies Mods and Offspring_Freak, it appears we wrote a new thread about the same thing at virtually the same time.

neocon58
02-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Pfft, of course it will fucking come out.

If would be cool to release it as an 'official track', rather than a bonus track, on the new cd.

Call it an Obsession
02-15-2006, 02:32 PM
do you think a video will be made for dirty magic? how cool would that be?

Ceejio21
02-15-2006, 02:35 PM
A video would be cool, it'd be so weird if Dirty Magic was released as the next single. It'd be really cool and I think it'd go down really well with the general public. Now there's food for thought...

icklebabygremlin
02-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Dexter give us a taste of dirty magic you fool or noodles i know you can post it :p

icklebabygremlin
02-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Dexter I think that you should make the end off have you ever a bigger song that would be great and a cover of T.S.O.L.'s sold would kick ass :D

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-15-2006, 02:56 PM
He made it sound like they haven't even started it

JohnnyNemesis
02-15-2006, 03:26 PM
I think releasing the new "Dirty Magic" as a single would be a good idea, and I think people would love it.

Though, no matter what, I can see you kids already getting mad at the "posers who think Dirty Magic is a new song they are so stupid oh my god"!

The_Masnyk
02-15-2006, 03:29 PM
I love having them keep in touch with us, i was getting worried for a second

DeAtHsTaR
02-15-2006, 04:25 PM
OF COURSE THEY HAVE TO RELEASE IT! It's one of their best songs ever!

0r4ng3
02-15-2006, 04:34 PM
I know Dirty Magic would make a great single, as did Bad Religion's 21st Century Digital Boy, which went through a similar process.

noodle654
02-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Dexter, It would be amazing if you let the new Dirty Magic out. So please Dexter, please release it for us!

RonWelty
02-15-2006, 04:42 PM
i give you 5 dollars dexter ..cmon it´s a great deal :D

bbqfishsticks
02-15-2006, 04:46 PM
I think it's so cool how dex is posting so often and now openly asking for us the fans to give some ideas...

During the warped tour in detroit this past summer the last 2 bands to play that day were My Chemical Romance and then the offspring.
A lot of the crowd flooded out from being so badly sunburned and to beat the traffic after MCR was done playing... especially the younger crowd...(this is when helena was on mtv non stop) but there was still a TON of people who stayed for the offspring because it was probably the band they were waiting for all day like me and it was beautiful... A lot of people that were there seemed to be fans that were still around from my generation like ages 20-25 who grew up loving the offspring since the glory days. Even when they played non huge hits like NITRO almost everybody was singing along. The crowd was so into it... Moshing... Singing along the whole time after like 8 hours of being under that hot hot hot sun all day... but dexter hooked it up by spraying us with a fire hose. It was alomst like seeing a live preformance from years ago. When they were done playing the crowd seemed dissappointed because the set seemed to end so fast... but then I thought back and they had played 11 songs... which is way more than any band usually ever plays on warped tour. It just seemed to go by so fast because it was so awesome I guess...

It was at that moment I knew the offspring were still alive and well.
Maybe not top 10 in the mainstream but so many true loyal fans.
The offspring always have and always will be my favorite band.

As for the new album...
I think us fans like seeing all different sides of the offspring...
I don't think there is any platform for an album we can ask for.
I know personally I could never decide on my favorite album... each one has something different that the other ones can't replace.
I'm really excited for this album though...
Atom is such a great drummer and after the Greatest hits DVD... I can't wait to see what the next chapter will be like...

~Aaron Alton Burnette

Tired_Of_You
02-15-2006, 05:04 PM
I buy the album the day it comes out if Dirty Magic is on it. If it's not on it, too bad.

Dexter18
02-15-2006, 05:12 PM
I have an idea for a song. Write a song about always getting rejected from the only chicks you like and then having them stomp on your heart over and over. Oh, and make it really, really fast!

Or, write a new song along the same lines as "Dammit, I Changed Again," "Never Gonna Find Me," or "All I Want." Maybe something about battling demons (even though you already have a song by that name). I like those kinds of songs.

The_Special_Delivery
02-15-2006, 05:26 PM
I have an idea for a song. Write a song about always getting rejected from the only chicks you like and then having them stomp on your heart over and over. Oh, and make it really, really fast!

Such a good idea but not Offspring style at all!!You can get these kinds of a little over-dramaticaly-sang songs with other groups,if you know what I mean!!

HeadAroundU
02-15-2006, 05:30 PM
I can imagine Dirty Magic as a first! single but most likely it's gonna be a bonus track or part of a new single.

Dexter! Who is that lucky producer???
Butch Vig!? please please please :(

Why don‘t you guys write in and tell us what you think?

I think you should make a heavy hardrock, aggresive punk, post-grunge record with longer tracks.
Subject??? I don't know, maybe love , peace, war, politics, sorrow...Sing The Sorrow? like AFI!!! :D

HeadAroundU
02-15-2006, 05:39 PM
I can imagine Dirty Magic as a first! single but most likely it's gonna be a bonus track or part of a new single.

Dexter! Who is that lucky producer???
Butch Vig!? please please please

Why don‘t you guys write in and tell us what you think?

I think you should make a heavy hardrock, aggresive punk, post-grunge record with longer tracks.
Subject??? I don't know, maybe love , peace, war, politics, sorrow...Sing The Sorrow? like AFI!!!

Venom Symbiote
02-15-2006, 05:44 PM
These updates are great and all, but am I the only one who thinks ol' Dex seems a little condescending in the way he writes them?

I dunno. It's just like he's talking to a 6 year old or something. :) It's pretty funny.

"Now, we have this song called Dirty Magic, but no one knows it. Most people don't know our stuff before Smash, our old stuff."

:D *slaps forehead* DUH, dude! :cool:

DeAtHsTaR
02-15-2006, 05:52 PM
I know Dirty Magic would make a great single, as did Bad Religion's 21st Century Digital Boy, which went through a similar process.
What? 21st Century Digital Boy was an older song too then?

Little_Miss_1565
02-15-2006, 05:59 PM
DEXTERRRR!!!! Please don't tease us like that...we needs to hear "Dirty Magic." At the very least, just send it to me personally. ;)

I'm dying to know who the possible producer is! I'm excited that it's not Brendan O'Brien! :) Clearly, I just want the band to do whatever it is they want to do. If they'd want to consider a bit more of a purer sound like from back in the day, circa 1992 wink wink, that really comes through on songs like "The Noose"--that would be wicked hot.

What? 21st Century Digital Boy was an older song too then?

The original was on Suffer. The later version added the line "Told you about No Control" [a BR album] "But now I really don't know / And then you told me about how you had to Suffer / Is that really all you have to offer?"

maree
02-15-2006, 06:13 PM
hi hows it going spring fans

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-15-2006, 06:30 PM
hi hows it going spring fans

Hey, welcome to the boards. I'm doing good, and yourself?

He said he has to think of some ideas on how he should do the album. Which is why I think they really haven't even started. Dirty Magic or not, it will probably be better than the dissapointing ones. I would rather here a great brand new song than a great old song.

HeadAroundU
02-15-2006, 06:33 PM
These updates are great and all, but am I the only one who thinks ol' Dex seems a little condescending in the way he writes them?

I dunno. It's just like he's talking to a 6 year old or something. :) It's pretty funny.

I feel the same way as you!

I think he is maybe/kinda insulted by our request for more updates and he is sarcastic now.
Yep, it's funny. :)

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Dexters the nicest guy in the world. Noodles is a pretty cool guy. Greg..thats all I need to say. And Atom is a badass drummer. :rolleyes: Nice enough?

Dexter_H
02-15-2006, 07:17 PM
The original was on Suffer. The later version added the line "Told you about No Control" [a BR album] "But now I really don't know / And then you told me about how you had to Suffer / Is that really all you have to offer?"[/QUOTE]

The original was on Against the Grain then re-released on Stranger Than Fiction.

WebDudette
02-15-2006, 07:22 PM
He made it sound like they haven't even started it

He said they recorded it last year if I'am not mistaken.

Dexter_H
02-15-2006, 07:26 PM
AFI's Sing the Sorrow is their worst album, and I doubt that the Offspring will ever release crap like that. What the guys have to do is finish off where Splinter left off. Write fast punk songs like the Noose, Long Way Home, Lightning Rod, Da Hui, Never Gonna Find Me, except dont' include the 'joke' songs unless they are like 'What Happened To You' or 'Mota'. This way the Offspring will get regain a lot of their old fans, and make an album that will please nearly everybody.

Ninty Man
02-15-2006, 07:28 PM
MMM, great!!

Now I expect the album

Record Session XD

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-15-2006, 07:30 PM
He said they recorded it last year if I'am not mistaken.

not dirty magic, but the album

Ronin
02-15-2006, 07:35 PM
awe you guys should be nice to dexter....whether or not he is acting in the ways you believe, he is still giving you what you want (which would be more info).

and IF (big IF) he was being sarcastic/condescending/etc, it's prolly only because some of you get a little to excited when he acknowledged you in the first place. constantly bugging them doesnt always help the cause either.
:( just some food for thought

getting back on topic now...

actually i agree with some of you about dirty magic being released on a B-sides album or a special edition single...it would be something great for the more "hardcore" fans to have on the side.

i dont think they should include previously recorded songs on the next album, it might be a little overkill. altho i think i remember hearing something about cant repeat being on the next album...dunno if thats true or not, but if it is, them i'm confident of the result of the next cd if the rest of the songs on it are anything like cant repeat :)

Little_Miss_1565
02-15-2006, 07:38 PM
The original was on Against the Grain then re-released on Stranger Than Fiction.

Dag, yo...you're right. :( :( :(

and IF (big IF) he was being sarcastic/condescending/etc, it's prolly only because some of you get a little to excited when he acknowledged you in the first place. constantly bugging them doesnt always help the cause either.
:( just some food for thought

Haha...We will make him love us.

Little_Miss_1565
02-15-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm merging the two threads on this topic, just so everyone knows.

Ronin
02-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Haha...We will make him love us.

haha! you crack me up little miss :D

i really dont think he would act that way tho (who knows!)...i think he's just giving the public what they want ;)

Camilamazed
02-15-2006, 08:20 PM
Ah Fuck fuck fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.....

Fucking Great........ :D

Venom Symbiote
02-15-2006, 09:52 PM
QUOTE:
"he's just giving the public what they want"

*shudder* :) That's what they said about Original Prankser, too.

Haha.

But yeah, it's kinda weird. I guess his "tone of voice" if that makes any sense (it's written, so yeah...) may have changed, you know, being a father and all, he's probably got a new way of addressing "youth" when he talks to them now. As opposed to, say, when he was a youth himself.

It's just funny reading the way he words things, it's like a father talking to his young kid or something, very simply. It's kind of interesting, like, he's an extraordinarily smart guy, but chooses to write in very, very elementary ways.

Which is cool I guess, just pointing it out.

RobinoZombie
02-16-2006, 06:18 AM
the new album should be like splinter, high energetic songs, fast punk rock melodies, and clocking in at 40minutes.
maybe one "joke" songs, not two, not three, but one is enough...
and on the next TOUR...
PULL OUT OLD SONGS!
people like me have seen you guys 3-5 times, and get almost the same songs, i think everyone agrees that we want alot of old school songs, cause around 60-70% of the people that are there, know your songs by heart, EVERY SONG...bnot just the new ones

FOXMAN
02-16-2006, 07:11 AM
I think guys that dirty magic would be a great hit! I would like to hear in the new album punk,but very very melodic songs!! But whatever you do Dexter (and all the members) I really trust you! So...GOOD LUCK Offspring! :D
[ahh... and in your next tour, if you can, please visit Greece! We are waiting for you guys. . .forever. . . and a day! ;) ]

OnlyOnThursdays
02-16-2006, 09:19 AM
I hope they put the song on the actual album. It should be a single to, just because the song is so amazing.

electric_alexa
02-16-2006, 10:03 AM
^^Yep, I agree, totally

DICKON
02-16-2006, 10:06 AM
was mission from god on a single? i love that song.

offspring fan
02-16-2006, 10:13 AM
omygodomygodomygodomygodomygod! i cant whait!

now where did i put that damn time-machine......

Drum Goddess
02-16-2006, 10:16 AM
You people really seemed to be obsessed with these journals.

Rutegard
02-16-2006, 11:04 AM
:D We Are All Niceee :D :D :D

SeanAshmore
02-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Does anyone else think that maybe dexter was just trying to be modest?? I mean, i didnt think it was condescending at all. He just realises that a lot of their mainstream fans dont know their music before smash, which is true. Not everyone is like the people on these boards yknow??

Give the guy a break. He's being really cool about all of this.

Dmarques
02-16-2006, 11:13 AM
"did I tell you guys that we re-recorded Dirty Magic last year?" Dexter.

Where is it????

RonWelty
02-16-2006, 11:40 AM
BUSH : I WANT TO LISTEN NEW OFFSPRING´s SONG!

I WILL WARN JUST ONCE : IF U DON NOT PUT THAT SONG ONLINE I WILL SEND U A LOT OF MINE LOVELY MISSILES !

:D:D:D

Ronin
02-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Does anyone else think that maybe dexter was just trying to be modest?? I mean, i didnt think it was condescending at all. He just realises that a lot of their mainstream fans dont know their music before smash, which is true. Not everyone is like the people on these boards yknow??

Give the guy a break. He's being really cool about all of this.

well said dude

jacknife737
02-16-2006, 12:33 PM
was mission from god on a single? i love that song.

It was on the comp PUNKORAMA 10

DeAtHsTaR
02-16-2006, 03:02 PM
"did I tell you guys that we re-recorded Dirty Magic last year?" Dexter.

Where is it????
It's not out yet.

Nirushika6789
02-16-2006, 03:05 PM
I will be so good to hear that version of Dirty Magic :D

igniton/pyro
02-16-2006, 03:07 PM
pfff...... dirty magic aint that good. thay should have done a new vertion of burn it up. the best song ever made!

H1T_That
02-16-2006, 03:12 PM
i hope it comes out as a single with a video. that would be cool.

i wouldnt want to see it on the new album though, the new album should be especially for new songs, not re-releases.

RonWelty
02-17-2006, 07:12 AM
i think that dirty magic ACOUSTIC (in the dvd)its like a introduction to the new recorded version ..

LIZA
02-17-2006, 07:50 AM
cmon put that new version of dirty magic ONLINE FOR US ..... maybe a 30" clip PLEASE PLEASE !

Yes please !!! Dirty Magic is such a cool song. Put it online for us !!!!

LIZA
02-17-2006, 07:55 AM
Firstly, we are greatly appreciative of such regular updates, it's really great to have such a contact with the band through the BBS. It's amazing how a post in the journal can really make the day of so many people.

I'm sure we'd all REALLY love to somehow hear that re-recorded version of Dirty Magic as it is a very special song to us aswell as the band, be it a b-side on a single or a bonus track on the new record.

In terms of the new sound for the new record. As hardcore fans we're all going to love whatever is produced. There's been alot of talk of recapturing the Self-Titled/Ixnay/Smash sound but at the end of the day, the band won't want to produce a 'duplicate' album. Rather, I think we'd just like to see some music that really defines The Offspring, something that really stays close to the roots (that of Self Titled/Ixnay/Smash) but also slightly diversifies as the band do want to experiment with new things.

To cut to the chase however, in terms of Splinter (the last album produced) I think songs like 'The Noose' (especially), Long Way Home, Never Gonna Find Me and Lightning Rod really proved to be a big hit with the hardcore fans.

But we'll stand by and support the band in everything they do!

Ceej

P.S A song like 'Dammit, I Changed Again' would be very cool!

Fully agree with you. The only thing I wished was that the new album would have more than just 40 minutes of music and some bonus-tracks like videos or so.

P.S. Gotta Get Away and Can't Get My Head Around You were also fantastic songs ....

vanessa
02-17-2006, 06:26 PM
singles are not usually edited in my country so i'd like it as part of th CD

Dutch fan
02-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Hey Dexter,

I don't know if you will EVER read this, but I saw your journal so I thought I'd check in.
For the upcoming album you need to push yourself beyond your limits.
I am a hardcore fan of The Offspring, but the last two years I have been a litte bit dessapointed by you guys. The tour had less energy, it looked like a routine, but you probably felt that yourself too...
Splinter had some good songs on it, but was to 'joky' and too short. And don't try to use difficult words, just because there difficult.
This is NOT critisism, cause I still think you guys rock, but I'm just telling what everybody's afraid to tell.
BE YOURSELF, listen to your fans, but do your own thing, put as much as emotion in the album as you can. Don't let time be a bad thing, perfectionase the album! Don't make a punk opera, please. Do a NEW, GOOD thing.
Go beyond your limits, I have faith in all 4 of you, 'You can do it!'

Greetz,
Your nr. 1 fan in Holland,
Sander

Ninty Man
02-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Hey Dexter,

I don't know if you will EVER read this, but I saw your journal so I thought I'd check in.
For the upcoming album you need to push yourself beyond your limits.
I am a hardcore fan of The Offspring, but the last two years I have been a litte bit dessapointed by you guys. The tour had less energy, it looked like a routine, but you probably felt that yourself too...
Splinter had some good songs on it, but was to 'joky' and too short. And don't try to use difficult words, just because there difficult.
This is NOT critisism, cause I still think you guys rock, but I'm just telling what everybody's afraid to tell.
BE YOURSELF, listen to your fans, but do your own thing, put as much as emotion in the album as you can. Don't let time be a bad thing, perfectionase the album! Don't make a punk opera, please. Do a NEW, GOOD thing.
Go beyond your limits, I have faith in all 4 of you, 'You can do it!'

Greetz,
Your nr. 1 fan in Holland,
Sander

Maybe that was the problem with Splinter, it's too of them... I dont know, I dont think ANY ALBUM IT'S NOT THEMSELVES

Venom Symbiote
02-17-2006, 10:13 PM
QUOTE:
"Does anyone else think that maybe dexter was just trying to be modest?? I mean, i didnt think it was condescending at all. He just realises that a lot of their mainstream fans dont know their music before smash, which is true. Not everyone is like the people on these boards yknow??
Give the guy a break. He's being really cool about all of this."

Hey, I'm not bagging the guy or anything. :) Just pointing it out, it's pretty interesting, just the way he words the things he's saying.

And as for the "mainstream fans" thing: how many mainstream fans read tour journals? Virtually none, man. You have to realise, the vast majority of people that visit this website even casually would be more than your "average radio listener who's just heard the singles post-Pretty Fly". Not that many people here are intelligent, but they still know their shit, y'know?

I'm not criticizing him, so yeah, don't take it that way or anything. Just highlighting how the way he talks to the fan audience has changed over the years. For example: in '94/'95''97 it was all about the using lots of slang words and curses, very casual and kind of being "part of the crowd". Nowadays, being older and all, he seems more removed and since he's not PART of that "youth group" scene anymore, he's old enough to be most of the fan's dads, the way he addresses folks has changed. It's kinda like he's explaining the recording process to one of his kids or something, like any parent would on a "bring your son/daughter to work day".

I'm probably looking too much into it, but it's just kind of...interesting and noticeable. :cool: