PDA

View Full Version : Help with my wrist -please?

Duskygrin
02-16-2006, 07:16 AM
. .

sKratch
02-16-2006, 07:19 AM
It's karma for using "sth" to abbriviate "something".

MichaelCorleone
02-16-2006, 07:28 AM
It's karma for using "sth" to abbriviate "something".

* abbreviate

the_GoDdEsS
02-16-2006, 07:28 AM
Indometacinum.

the_GoDdEsS
02-16-2006, 07:35 AM
haha I'm going to the chemist's tomorrow & ask for THAT, whatever it is...

Indometacin. It's a NSAID.

http://www2.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100001338.html

Ask for the gel though. Don't necessarily have to take it as pills. Pills are shitty.

Linda
02-16-2006, 07:37 AM
It's probably carple tunnel. Put on a wrist brace for about a week, and don't use that hand and it should heal up fine.

MichaelCorleone
02-16-2006, 07:39 AM
It's probably carple tunnel. Put on a wrist brace for about a week, and don't use that hand and it should heal up fine.

* carpal 10 characters

the_GoDdEsS
02-16-2006, 07:42 AM
Yes, I seem to recall you had/have dysmenorrhoea (which is... erm... tough luck... though not life-endangering) so you'd know about it... apparently it's treatment for a large range of pains... should be fine for my ailment as I th-think it's some kind of mild tendinitis... slightly swollen & red.

carpal tunnel? a wrist brace? jesus! :eek: that straining, it could be THAT? & it's my right hand too! how not to use it! I'd be handicapped!

I use diclofenac for that though. But I'm familiar with NSAIDs.

Indometacin I only use as gel for neck pain or joint pain.

Endymion
02-16-2006, 08:20 AM
i hear bleeding the wrist might help

Andy
02-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Try leeches.

Andy
02-16-2006, 08:37 AM
you can jeep away as much as you want, however the leeches will find you one day...

Andy
02-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Now that would be a spectacle to behold

sKratch
02-16-2006, 09:10 AM
hehe I know I do have a lot of karma to burn off. not for the use of sth though! I was taught that...

but you're a nice guy skratch. on your photos (with ppl or on your own) you always look as though you would rather die than hurt a fly. You look altruistic, a tad on the hippy side. You look sweet on your avatar, as in teddybearness sweetness. you've got humour (though not always quite to my taste, but to each his own). I like the way you use the "attention" icon before your posts, it looks hilarious. also I can't recall your being arrogant or mean or anything. you've not always been nicey-nice to me or to others, though, but you've always known where to draw the line (it's the internets, no doubt).

erm... yeah I'd wanted to tell you all that. I'm lame, am I not? :rolleyes:
Thanks. I do appreciate that. Especially the "attention icon", because I love using it.

And I hate the use of "sth" in general. I'd have made the same reply to anyone who used it that many times in a single post.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-16-2006, 09:23 AM
* abbreviate

* carpal You, don't you have anything better to do? It's a good thing your posts are only one word long; otherwise you might have to face the embarrasment of misspelling something yourself.

MichaelCorleone
02-16-2006, 10:49 AM
You, don't you have anything better to do? It's a good thing your posts are only one word long; otherwise you might have to face the embarrasment of misspelling something yourself.

* embarrassment

Rocky-girl
02-16-2006, 12:05 PM
If it's so bad, may be it worth calling the doctor?

XYlophonetreeZ
02-16-2006, 12:32 PM
* embarrassment
Thanks, actually by writing "embarrasment" I was just testing to see if you'd correct me. In doing so, you have proven to be a complete and utter fucktard.

JoY
02-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Maria, I've had the same. as you know I play the violin & holding a bow & violin is a rather delicate matter, since in both cases the positions of the arms/wrists/hands are incredibly unnatural. once, when I was tensed for some concert, I stretched the thumb of my right hand a bit too much, while holding the bow. when you don't keep your thumb relaxed (goes for both hands) & bent, it blocks the movement of the wrist, which can cause a tendon-infection.

maybe it's a bruised muscle, but what you have does sound like an irritation of a tendon. you'll have to give your wrist some rest. no other way around it. you're probably forced to give it rest as it is, because of the pain (relatively speaking), but even when it seems to be going better, make sure you keep it still for another while. you could try to massage it, also with lotion. there's painkilling lotion (Voltaren), that also stops infection-processes.

keep an eye on it & make sure your wrist doesn't start swelling, getting red, or pounding (uhh, that's a weird way to say it, but I think you know what I mean). wrists are important to anyone, but certainly to someone who passionately plays an instrument.

Andy
02-16-2006, 12:40 PM
I still say leeches.

JoY
02-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Indometacin. It's a NSAID.

http://www2.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100001338.html

Ask for the gel though. Don't necessarily have to take it as pills. Pills are shitty.
Voltaren has diclofenac in it, also a NSAID. NSAIDs are perfect for cases like these, plus they help to kill the pain. so basically, what I'm saying.. good advice. =)

JoY
02-16-2006, 12:45 PM
..there are few cases in which you can heal carpal tunnel syndrom that way. often an operation is necessary. either way, Maria is too young to make carpal tunnel syndrom likely.

JoY
02-16-2006, 01:27 PM
which fingers exactly hurt? the middle & index finger?

the pain when twisting 'round your wrist could be explained by irritation of the tendon in your wrist on the side your thumb. (radius) the pain in the fingers could be explained by the irritation processing, since you probably haven't given it too much rest, being right-handed. I find the weakness in your hand disturbing, but seeing tendons are not only connected to muscles, but actually attach them to the bone, it's understandable your muscle on that side isn't doing extremely peachy.

I know how hard it is to give your right lower arm rest, but you'll really have to. even try to dose writing & things like that. try to cook with your left hand, brush your teeth with you left hand.. that way you can still do the necessary things. just do as much with your left hand as you can, even if it feels way unnatural.

& one thing Linda said could come in handy; keeping it straight. (but don't force it into a straight position) you don't need a brace for it, but just make sure your hand isn't bent, especially at night. for instance lay your arm on your pillow next to you, or on your body, so it rests. & don't support your head with it, or anything. it's often natural to people to bend their wrists at night outwards in a 'bunny'-position, or towards the chest, since many people roll up like a little ball in their sleep.

what I noticed when typing, is that, while resting your wrists on the desk, the position of your hands is real uncomfortable. your hands are constantly lifted, floating above the keyboard, so you have to flex your wrists constantly in a way your hands are higher than your wrists. am I still making sense? :/ I think I noticed, when seeing you play the piano, that you play with your hands kind of in such a position. it looks real damn elegant, but if it's causing pain/problems... (which I'm not sure of at all) flexing your wrists (contracting it's muscles), while losely moving your fingers could cause irritation. try to pay attention to how you hold your hands, while playing the piano & play as losely as possible.

I don't have a clue if this is the cause, but who knows. I'm just guessing for causes, but it'd be nice if you didn't have this every other month. especially seeing you love to play the piano.

0r4ng3
02-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks, actually by writing "embarrasment" I was just testing to see if you'd correct me. In doing so, you have proven to be a complete and utter fucktard.
Isn't it actually spelled "embarassment", with only 1 r?

Andy
02-16-2006, 01:59 PM
As a matter of fact, a good friend of mine has similar wrist troubles. He doesn't play the piano or anything; he's just been single for a while.

I couldn't resist

Linda
02-16-2006, 07:05 PM
..there are few cases in which you can heal carpal tunnel syndrom that way. often an operation is necessary. either way, Maria is too young to make carpal tunnel syndrom likely.

You're wrong, my dear, anyone at any age can get it. It's brought about by putting strain on your wrist by doing certain activities for long periods of time.
I got mine when I was doing needlepoint alot. But don't take my word for it.
Ask a doctor, since you think I never know what I'm talking about.

And I didn't tell her to keep it straight. I told her to get a wrist brace.
The wrist brace does not keep it straight, but angles the hand upward a bit.

Maria, rest is the key. It will get better.

Sin Studly
02-17-2006, 02:05 AM
Cordozone can help, apparantly.