PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate filler band

yay
02-16-2006, 06:37 PM
I get annoyed when bands release a couple of incredible songs as singles giving you the impression that all their work is just as good, then the album ends up being full of filler tracks. I wreckon the biggest offender is Coldplay. I have been caught by them twice. I bought "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" simply because I loved the songs "Scientist" and "Clocks" as well as a few others, the rest of the album besides those songs were all songs which sounded the same as eachother and were boring. Yesterday I bought their more recent album "X & Y" simply because I have been impressed with the three singles they've released of it so far, (Speed of sound, Fix you and Talk) and thought maybe they had produced a better album. It shouldn't have suprised me to find that once again their are three maybe four standout songs while the rest are filler. I should have known considering how similiar "Speed Of Sound" sounds to "Clocks".

Anyway I'm interested in hearing what you guys wreckon the ultimate offenders are in this category. Which bands do you wreckon release filler albums?

Andy
02-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Lately, I feel that Goldfinger, Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake are big, big offenders of that. It feels like they're just going through the motions lately and not really putting their true heart and soul into the music. Then again, it could just be because they've become shit.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-16-2006, 06:47 PM
The Killers with Hot Fuss

coke_a_holic
02-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Less than Jake still put on a great live show, although it could just be because they played lots of old stuff when I saw them last.

Andy
02-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I saw them on my birthday a couple of years back. They were supported by Teen Idols and Allister, which is pretty much all set up for possibly the greatest show I'd ever been to (I fucking adore Teen Idols*). However, as it was my birthday, I had spent the entire day before the show making the most of my birthday pints. I was so fucked I can't remember a thing of the show.

Gutted:(

Rag Doll
02-16-2006, 07:15 PM
The Killers with Hot Fuss

Disagree 110%

Anyways, I dont buy enough cds to really know, I guess. Pray For The Soul of Betty is like that though. Weezer can be that way as well.

bd007h
02-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Disagree 110%

Weezer can be that way as well.

not with their first 2 albums. those are solid records

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Disagree 110%

Really? I bought it right when Somebody Told Me hit MTV and VH1. I learned to like that song as well as Mr. Brightside, Smile Like You Mean It, All These Things That I've Done and On Top. All of those songs have music videos or strong radio play (except for On Top).

bd007h
02-16-2006, 07:19 PM
she probably means that the whole album was good.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-16-2006, 07:20 PM
she probably means that the whole album was good.

Well I knew that... but I am saying I thought the album sucked except for those singles.

bd007h
02-16-2006, 07:30 PM
I think the album trailed off after like track 6

Rag Doll
02-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Brett, I agree with you about the first 2 being solid. That's why I said they "can be like that"...cause it's not all their cds that are a lot of filler.

And , 1979, you just listed half the cd as being really good. I would think a lot of filler is 80% of the cd being filler...not closer to 50% (in your eyes). I think the whole cd is pretty damn good. And I never even knew most of those songs were on the radio...only heard 2 of them on there (brightside and somebody). But yeah, I think the whole cd is pretty fucking good.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Then I guess half the cd was on singles.

Edit: The English sounds bad here.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-16-2006, 09:04 PM
I hear from almost everybody that The Killers cd gets boring after track 5 or 6. I gave it a listen, and sure enough they were right. Also, the Lost Prophets "Start Something" album. First 6 songs were good, the other half not so much.

-=xanathos=-
02-17-2006, 03:21 AM
I heard the same thing, but hot fuss isnt that bad imo. Of course there are songs that stand out, but it's still good. Same goes for millencolin; Home from home is a great album, but it gets boring at like 60%...

Oh, and not to mention how bad the gorillaz are doing fillers. Their singles were ace, the albums suck monkeyballs...

Jakebert
02-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Incubus have gotten me twice. I bought both Morning View and ...a Crow Left of the Murder based on some of the singles I heard, and aside from the singles, the rest of both albums bored me to death.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Smash honestly has more filler on it than any other album I've ever bought.

Offspring-Fanatic
02-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Coldplay.......

.........makes me sleeeeeeeepy :o **yawn**

yay
02-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Smash honestly has more filler on it than any other album I've ever bought.I like Smash. I think Killboy Powerhead and So Alone are huge filler tracks but that is only 2/14. Offsprings ultimate filler album has got to be Splinter. In all honesty it has about 4 possibly 5 good songs.

That_Guy91
02-17-2006, 09:42 PM
I like Smash. I think Killboy Powerhead and So Alone are huge filler tracks but that is only 2/14. Offsprings ultimate filler album has got to be Splinter. In all honesty it has about 4 possibly 5 good songs.
Smash has lots of songs that could be considered filler, but I still like 'em. Splinter only has about 7 or 8 listenable songs, but as a whole it was short anyway.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-17-2006, 09:55 PM
I agree that Splinter is worse than Smash, but I think it was more that those were just bad songs than filler. With the exception of When You're in Prison, I at least got the feeling that they tried about the same amount on all the songs on Splinter, but on Smash there are just too many songs where they obviously didn't try as hard. It was like they went, "OK, we've got 6 or 7 good songs. That'll be enough. I've got a few half-finished ideas that we can use to fill these other spaces.

I agree that So Alone and Killboy Powerhead are filler, but I'd also throw in Not the One and Something to Believe In. I would add It'll Be a Long Time, but Dexter actually had one pretty nifty idea in that song when he turned it around with the "Well if they tried, maybe they'd see" part. So yeah, I'd say at least 4 songs out of 13 real songs. There are probably worse filler albums, but Smash always bugged me that way. Plus, adding to those 4, there are some songs that, even while they weren't filler, I don't really like.

That_Guy91
02-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Well, Killboy Powerhead wasn't really filler, it was a cover.

yay
02-17-2006, 10:37 PM
I agree that Splinter is worse than Smash, but I think it was more that those were just bad songs than filler. With the exception of When You're in Prison, I at least got the feeling that they tried about the same amount on all the songs on Splinter, but on Smash there are just too many songs where they obviously didn't try as hard. It was like they went, "OK, we've got 6 or 7 good songs. That'll be enough. I've got a few half-finished ideas that we can use to fill these other spaces.

I agree that So Alone and Killboy Powerhead are filler, but I'd also throw in Not the One and Something to Believe In. I would add It'll Be a Long Time, but Dexter actually had one pretty nifty idea in that song when he turned it around with the "Well if they tried, maybe they'd see" part. So yeah, I'd say at least 4 songs out of 13 real songs. There are probably worse filler albums, but Smash always bugged me that way. Plus, adding to those 4, there are some songs that, even while they weren't filler, I don't really like.I like Not The One, Something to believe in and It'll be a long time although I have realised they do all sound similiar. So maybe the band were running out of ideas?

Jakebert
02-18-2006, 09:41 AM
I wouldn't call Smash a lot of filler because even though some of the songs are kinda weak, as a whole, it's still a good album and even the weaker songs are good songs, if nothing special.

Conspiracy of One is a huge filler album if you ask me. In fact, the only non-filler song on it in my opinion is Come Out Swinging. Everything else sounds incredibly half-assed.

ruroken
02-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Incubus have gotten me twice. I bought both Morning View and ...a Crow Left of the Murder based on some of the singles I heard, and aside from the singles, the rest of both albums bored me to death.
:eek: M-MORNING VIEW?!
Oh wait...I can see how someone would see it as filler.

not with their first 2 albums. those are solid records
Was that Green one one of them? Because it sucked.

Jakebert
02-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Morning View is incredibly boring, and even though I tried as hard as I could to get into it, I just couldn't find anything remotley interesting about it.

And no, Green is their 3rd album, and yes, it does blow. The first 2 are the Blue Album and Pinkerton, which are both classics. But unfortunatly nothing they've done after those 2 have been anything special.

Black__ball
02-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Anyway I'm interested in hearing what you guys wreckon the ultimate offenders are in this category. Which bands do you wreckon release filler albums?
greenday - american idiot.

ummmm
the new franz ferdinand one (even though i dont like them)

bloc party- silent alarm they only had one good song

ruroken
02-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Morning View is incredibly boring, and even though I tried as hard as I could to get into it, I just couldn't find anything remotley interesting about it.
Oh...because I was gonna suggest that. haha, I had to listen to it a lot before I liked it. And even then it still had to grow on me. But I bought it even though I didn't like the singles. Funny, isn't it? It was too different from ACLOTM at the time for me, yet I bought it and learned to love it anyway.

And no, Green is their 3rd album, and yes, it does blow. The first 2 are the Blue Album and Pinkerton, which are both classics. But unfortunatly nothing they've done after those 2 have been anything special.
I've been meaning to buy Pinkerton. It's emo or something, right?

yay
02-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Another big filler band is one you all probably haven't heard of. A U.K band called "The Music". I won their album Welcome to The North of a Sydney Radio Station, and enjoyed the radio single and title track but the rest was awful.

The eccentric cat
02-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Another big filler band is one you all probably haven't heard of. A U.K band called "The Music". I won their album Welcome to The North of a Sydney Radio Station, and enjoyed the radio single and title track but the rest was awful.
Hmm, I was actually thinking of buying that album, I loved Breakin'.

yay
02-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Hmm, I was actually thinking of buying that album, I loved Breakin'.Yeah thats the other song I liked. Maybe its just not my type of music because I just found it boring.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Seconded. Breakin' rocks. Usually when I like a song that much, I have some kind of desire to check out that band's other stuff, but I never did. Maybe I just have good intuition.

Yatesy
02-22-2006, 06:38 AM
To those who mentioned The Music, you should really listen to that album more, I wasn't so into it till I listened to it a few times and it grew on me, also thir first album is better. Anyway I think Kaiser Chiefs are pretty much all filler minus the singles, I just really cannot get into it.

pretty fly 88
02-22-2006, 02:34 PM
I heard the song Evil by Interpol on the radio and loved it. A few days later I got the album, only to see that Evil was the only good song on that album, while the rest was all filler. Also, my apologies to all die-hard Offspring fans, but I truly do feel that Splinter has a lot of filler.

pretty fly 88
02-22-2006, 02:36 PM
To those who mentioned The Music, you should really listen to that album more, I wasn't so into it till I listened to it a few times and it grew on me, also thir first album is better. Anyway I think Kaiser Chiefs are pretty much all filler minus the singles, I just really cannot get into it.
Really? I like most of the songs on that album. There are a few that I thought were filler, but I saw them in concert a few months ago, and I didn't think the songs that they played were filler.

pretty fly 88
02-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Incubus have gotten me twice. I bought both Morning View and ...a Crow Left of the Murder based on some of the singles I heard, and aside from the singles, the rest of both albums bored me to death.Yeah, I don't have the first one on that list, but on A Crow Left Of The Murder, the only songs I like are Megalomaniac and Beware, Criminal. The rest are filler.

Lithuanian Offspring
02-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Anti-Flag, both A New Kind or Army and Underground Network. They have really good songs, and after that is just the same old leftist slogans.

Yatesy
02-23-2006, 09:58 AM
I just thought of more filler albums, The Burning Red & Supercharger by Machine Head. Although they both have some great songs on them the rest of those albums are a bit hard to like really.

Jakebert
02-23-2006, 12:04 PM
I've been meaning to buy Pinkerton. It's emo or something, right?

Maybe the lyrics are emo, but musically it's not at all. It reminds me more of the Pixies meets Green Day. Very rough sounding.