PDA

View Full Version : Why dirty magic?

The Cinder
02-18-2006, 07:01 AM
In my opinion thats the only Offspring song I dont like.
I dont want there new album to sound like dirty magic.

Make another Smash instead, that would be awsome!

Little_Miss_1565
02-18-2006, 07:04 AM
Are you serious? "Dirty Magic" is one of the bst songs they've ever done.

I don't think they're going to repeat any one of their albums.

The Cinder
02-18-2006, 07:15 AM
well I just like smash very much. and Im serious I have never liked dirty magic at all.

mrconeman
02-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Well, not only is dirty magic one of their best, but repeating an old album is a dumb idea.
Smash was a great album for the time, and I highly suspect if it was to be released now (in the situation they were in, nobody knew who offspring were ect...) it wouldnt do half as well.
Like it or not bands do have to change with the times. Half the battle is writing a great album, another half is timing.

RonWelty
02-18-2006, 07:34 AM
u prefer pretty fly , want u bad or wdygaj to dirty magic ? u really have bad taste my friend !

The Cinder
02-18-2006, 07:45 AM
Maybe I have a bad taste.... I should go and listen to dirty magic now.

The Cinder
02-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Well, not only is dirty magic one of their best, but repeating an old album is a dumb idea.
Smash was a great album for the time, and I highly suspect if it was to be released now (in the situation they were in, nobody knew who offspring were ect...) it wouldnt do half as well.
Like it or not bands do have to change with the times. Half the battle is writing a great album, another half is timing.

I dont want the record to do well, I want it to be good. Do you think that Offspring should do like Green day and go totally pop just cause its popoulur right now?

SaiKYoU
02-18-2006, 07:52 AM
Offspring going Pop?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*cries*

and yeah. go and listen to Dirty Magic 10 times.. then post again and tell us what do you think...

The Cinder
02-18-2006, 08:01 AM
boring song... sounds a bit like "come as you are" by Nirvana.
it only has a good guitar riff I think.

The Cinder
02-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Offspring going Pop?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*cries*

and yeah. go and listen to Dirty Magic 10 times.. then post again and tell us what do you think...

I dont want Offspring going pop. mrconeman wants it.

Tapnshred
02-18-2006, 08:05 AM
It certainly gets going quicker than come as you are. I love most things off the early albums and Dirty Magic is certainly one of those!

The Cinder
02-18-2006, 08:14 AM
yes the early albums are the best, I agree.

JohnnyNemesis
02-18-2006, 08:30 AM
*bangs head against desk*

To everyone:

THE OFFSPRING WERE ALWAYS BOTH POP AND PUNK GODDAMMIT. FUCKING FUCK HELL GODDAMN FUCK!!!

And The Cinder...we already know you don't like Dirty Magic. That's your opinion and we should all respect it. But you've said it in almost every thread you've ever posted in. Your only identity on here is as "that guy who hates Dirty Magic". For the love of God, come up with something else already.

And the fact is, Dirty Magic, even though it's not one of my favorites (I think it's an amazing track though), is one of the most popular songs among most Offspring fans. They're not gonna change it all for you.

Heck, if they change their whole sound for one person, it should be ME! We'd get songs that sound like Forever And A Day, Living In Chaos, Leave It Behind, The Meaning of Life, and Out On Patrol forever...

Jebus
02-18-2006, 08:46 AM
Cinder is such an Offspring poser. :mad: :mad:

Nounou
02-18-2006, 08:48 AM
yes the early albums are the best, I agree.

Nooo ! YOU think that they're the best but this is just your opinion and not everyone's one !

nightvision
02-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Cinder is such an Offspring poser. :mad: :mad:

Why is that?

Rufus
02-18-2006, 09:54 AM
This is why they chose Dirty Magic

That song is kind of special to us because its one of those requests we always get from our most hardcore fans. Unfortunately, most people dont know the song, cause most people dont know our music from before Smash. We always thought that it was a good song, but that we could do a better job recording it now than we could back then.

The Cinder
02-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Dexter asks in his journal what we think and I just said my opinion.

0r4ng3
02-18-2006, 10:33 AM
I think that the reason they used Dirty Magic is because it has some qualities of some of their older material, but it's original on it's own. It has the credibility of their old albums (to appeal to old fans), but it's completely different from almost any song they've done before (to appeal to non-fans).

darthdudeguy4
02-18-2006, 10:34 AM
And the fact is, Dirty Magic, even though it's not one of my favorites (I think it's an amazing track though), is one of the most popular songs among most Offspring fans. They're not gonna change it all for you.

same here its definatley not one of my favorites but its a damn good song :D

Hux
02-18-2006, 03:03 PM
In my opinion thats the only Offspring song I dont like.
I dont want there new album to sound like dirty magic.

Make another Smash instead, that would be awsome!
I doubt the new album will be like Dirty Magic, it's a unique song so an entire album like that is doubtful. They havn't done any songs similar to Dirty Magic so I guess you can be glad for that. I personally would love a few more songs like Dirty Magic. It's such an awesome song.

DICKON
02-18-2006, 03:17 PM
i love dirty magic, but its one of those songs that i couldn't listen to time after time. i'll listen 2 it once, then maybe after 7 songs i'll listen to it again. and mcroneman, u hit the nail on the head there! damn rite!

H1T_That
02-18-2006, 03:27 PM

i sincerely hope they dont.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-18-2006, 03:29 PM
I agree. Dirty Magic isn't that great. I'd rather LAPD, Session, Beheaded, etc.

rlplaymaker
02-18-2006, 04:16 PM
i have to admit, ive always been a complete offspring freak since i first heard Pretty fly for a white guy at a sleepover when i was a kid. But until recently, i only listened to their stuff from smash until now. But when i bnought the Greatest Hits Dual Disk and heard the Accoustic Dirty Magic, ive been hooked and that fuckin song. Its an amazing song. and sure, if they had better recording technology back then it would sound better, but im tellin you, it was amazing when i heard em play it live!

JohnnyNemesis
02-18-2006, 04:36 PM
They havn't done any songs similar to Dirty Magic so I guess you can be glad for that.

"Vultures" was extremely similar to "Dirty Magic". They coulda called it "Dirty Magic; the sequel", heh.

On that note, it's ridiculous that "Vultures" didn't get a single or video...I think it would've been a big hit. Want You Bad is such an exceptionally horrible song, but that one got its day in the sun...GRR.

Hux
02-18-2006, 04:38 PM
"Vultures" was extremely similar to "Dirty Magic". They coulda called it "Dirty Magic; the sequel", heh.

On that note, it's ridiculous that "Vultures" didn't get a single or video...I think it would've been a big hit.
Yeah, it's kinda similar. Vultures is such a great song, if they had released it as a single it would've gone far.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-18-2006, 04:41 PM
I consider them similar too. When I first listen to the start of "Vultures" I think of "Come As You Are" by Nirvana. And "Vultures" could have gone as far as that song.

mrconeman
02-18-2006, 04:45 PM
I dont want Offspring going pop. mrconeman wants it.
Having a successful album and 'going pop' as you so insightfully put it, are two completely different things, you complete moron.

JohnnyNemesis
02-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Besides, they can't "go" pop because they ARE pop.

mrconeman
02-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Good call.
If anyone tries to make an argument that Pretty Fly, Original Prankster, Want you Bad...and countless others arent a typical pop song they should be shot.

offspring_freak_3
02-18-2006, 07:11 PM
WOW. just wow. dirty magic is one of the best song ever. im surprised u dont like it

0r4ng3
02-18-2006, 07:58 PM

On that note, it's ridiculous that "Vultures" didn't get a single or video...I think it would've been a big hit. Want You Bad is such an exceptionally horrible song, but that one got its day in the sun...GRR.
Vultures, Living In Chaos, Special Delivery...Conspiracy of One was full of good single-material, but none of it was used. Sure, Million Miles Away had a live-dubbed video, but I don't think that counts.

Hux
02-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Vultures, Living In Chaos, Special Delivery...Conspiracy of One was full of good single-material, but none of it was used. Sure, Million Miles Away had a live-dubbed video, but I don't think that counts.
True, and Million Miles Away was a single.

Llamas
02-19-2006, 01:59 AM
special delivery wasn't that great of a song :-/ living in chaos, vultures, conspiracy of one, dammit I changed again, and million miles away- even come out swinging- all would've been better than want you bad or original prankster.

Gayman
02-19-2006, 04:53 AM
Everybody doesn't like Dirty Magic. Some don't want the new album to be like Ignition. Some are rich some are poor. Some are stupid some are brilliant. I guess you can't make everybody happy.

Holger estonia
02-19-2006, 05:04 AM

I Agree.
That guy is first offspring fan who doesn't like Dirty Magic...i think.
GREAT song!!

Teemu
02-19-2006, 09:04 AM
dirty magic is an awesome song, and i'd love to hear the new version!!

but i'd love to hear "pass me by" too: from that 30'' demo it was amazing, and dexter said that was 5 minutes long...

"[D]: Not really, and it just seems like there are spots in that song where it just called for certain things. Its a 5 minute song, but I think that its good the way it is."

hope to hear that song, if dexter's reading this :P :P :P :P

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-19-2006, 09:06 AM
WOW. just wow. dirty magic is one of the best song ever. im surprised u dont like it

Oh we like it, but what makes Dirty Magic so special that it gets to be rerecorded instead of some other classics?

Drummerguy123
02-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Oh we like it, but what makes Dirty Magic so special that it gets to be rerecorded instead of some other classics?
I don't know about anyone else, but if I were to choose which old song they were to re-record, Dirty Magic would be at the top of that list.

Llamas
02-19-2006, 02:22 PM
agreed. Besides, DEXTER ANNOUNCED WHY THEY CHOSE THAT SONG. God, go read the website.

There are other old songs I like more than Dirty Magic, and that I thought had worse recording quality and are too ignored, but damn. They're in a band and they wanted to re-record a song. They chose Dirty Magic because it's a favorite among their hardcore fans. They made a wise choice.

Dexter_H
02-20-2006, 04:34 AM
That's 100% correct. They would probably still be an independent band if Smash was released today. It was released during the punk boom, with NOFX, Rancid, Pennywise, Green Day (sadly) all gaining success, so an album like Smash which was of a similar style, but better is sure to sell by the million. Today with Green Day being 'punk', Smash wouldn't sell past the proper punk community.

Cboggsrun
02-20-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't really know where the relation to dirty magic and Come as you are is, but dirty magic is a hell of a lot better. Ignition is the first album i ever bought of the Offspring and Drity Magic was fucking great! I just don't see how anyone could not like it, my girlfriend only likes a few offspring songs and that is the one she likes the most... Such a good song!