PDA

View Full Version : classical thread

JoY
02-18-2006, 01:22 PM
"& you should make a violin thread. with your vids, vids of friends, history, stuff, pics, great interpreters & composers... I'm doing... well WAS doing it in "the piano thread' not many amateurs so far (& if I can't play I can see it foundering in 2 days at the most) but it's cozy & it's my thread."

Maria sent this to me. the beauty of this quote is quite simple, really. there are not many people here that play a classical instrument passionately. (the word "passionately" annoys me, but I don't know how else to describe it) it is absolutely fantastic to see people share that. either way, 't is a good idea. so here it is. not just a violin thread, but a thread for everyone who plays a classical instrument & fucking loves it.

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/9803/tzigane19elustrum0109nt.jpg
embarrassing, I know. I always look horrible, when playing the violin. way too serious, way too concentrated & I was under a lot of pressure in this picture (famous violinists in the room & I had to give an interview on Hungarian national television), so my face was all red. I'm director of the orchestra, so I was trying to direct them by bending my knees. not flattering, but yeah, this is what I do & this is what I look like doing it. (don't pay attention to my hair, I had no time to fix it in the morning)

http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/8231/tzigane19elustrum0118oh.jpg
in this picture is Puka. one of the most amazing violinists in the world. he gave us a workshop & it was more incredible than I could ever describe.

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/2826/tzigane19elustrum0132rv.jpg
this is our viola with also an extremely gifted violinist. he taught her & she picked up so much of it, that she's now the best viola player we could wish for.

this is a recording of us in our beginning stage. we weren't much good, but we had a shitload of fun. in the recording the pianist & I are doing a game, basically a race, who can play the fastest. I lose it at some point, but pick it up later. as you can hear it's an unfair game, because she plays two notes in the time I play eight.
http://rapidshare.de/files/13572323/VOC001.WAV.html

Linda
02-18-2006, 01:37 PM
This is a great idea for a thread. Bella, I would think a person would have to really concentrate and be serious when playing classical music. It's not the easiest music to play. It seems to me a violin would not be easy to play. Congrats! I played piano a very long time ago. Couldn't keep up with it tho, pianos cost too much and after I left home I had no where to keep one. I only had a keyboard now which I very rarely play.

JoY
02-18-2006, 01:50 PM
I know! pianos are so expensive! I love to experiment with instruments, but it's not exactly a cheap hobby. as piano is definitely one of my interests, I bought a piano. second hand. it was affordable. but unmovable. =( so I bought an electric piano from Yamaha, that is quite good & actually does sound somewhat like a piano. you should buy one, if you really want to play the piano again, Linda! second hand they're affordable (my Yamaha was 600 euros with a chair) & they're way better than a keyboard.

playing the violin isn't easy, indeed. god, the times I had a tendon infection, because the position of your arms & hands is so goddam unnatural.... currently I don't play classical music anymore, but mostly gypsy. it's a lot of fun. =) it's much more dramatic & emotional than classical music & though I play gypsy in a too classical way (simply used to the genre after 15 years of playing it), it's still more 'liberating', inspiring & losening than playing classical music. one downside; I'm losing my technique pretty quickly. :/

Linda
02-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Yeah, you really have to keep up with it. I haven't played piano now for about 35 years. I would have to do a whole lot of practicing to get back to where I was! lol That is if my fingers would let me. I don't know, had I bought a house, it would be easier to make the decision to buy a piano now, but since I'm renting, never know how long I'll live here and pianos are so hard to move. *sigh* Just another dream that will never happen, just like the corvette. :(

How many keys does the electric piano have? Is it somewhat like the keyboard, only bigger? I saw what I thought was a keyboard at the store a couple of weeks ago, it was huge! The price was huge too! $600.00! Maybe that was an electric piano? The keyboard is just too short! I tried to play it before, but I kept running out of keys! lol That's no fun!

JoY
02-18-2006, 02:35 PM
electric pianos indeed have more keys than keyboards. about as much keys as a piano. & they register the pressure you put on them too! so if you press keys hard, the tone will be louder. & if you press keys softly, they register that the tone should be less loud aswell. an electric piano pretty much behaves like a real piano, except it's way lighter, you can switch it off & it's so small, you can move it easily. =)

my mother stopped playing the piano & the disappointment was huge. for me, that is. she always played after the kids went to bed, so when I was in bed, I always heard her play. the sound travelled through the entire hall up to my room. beautiful. after she stopped playing (she tried to play jazz, but failed so miserably, she lost all motivation), I wasn't able to sleep for three months. I can only encourage you to try to play the piano again. it's a wonderful instrument, especially because it also sounds awesome solo. it's the only classical instrument that does. (guitar does too, but isn't quite as classical)

the pleasure of playing an instrument is so intense, I can recommend it to anyone. & you know it! you know what it's like. you should really try to pick it up & just don't bother that it's difficult in the beginning all over again, but proceed. you'll see that you'll get back on your old level & then you can become better & as good as you always wanted to become.

*Edit: forgot a word. :/

Linda
02-18-2006, 02:58 PM
That's probably what it was then. I didn't really like it when I was doing it, 'cos I was forced for years to practice at least an hour a day. You know kids! I'm still giving it serious thought. Thanks for your encouragement and kind words!

JoY
02-18-2006, 03:10 PM
forcing is never good for anything. at first, when I was four years old, I wanted to play the violin so desperately, but at five years old, I got a teacher, that was so strict, that she left to room for your own creativity. at the age of eleven, I finally gave up, having had four different teachers, one of them being actually good & stimulating. (the first one, when I was four)

I regret quitting taking violin lessons & I just hate it when anyone else has had the same experience; loving music, but quitting on it, because they're forced into it too much. my teachers had my future plans already made; conservatory, that would be my road to travel, when I'd made it real clear, even at the age of four, that I never wanted to make playing the violin my job. forcing something creative, that is so unforced & spontanious, is just wrong & you should be able to take it as far as you want to & do what you want with your creativity.

you're welcome, by the way. =) I really hope you'll give that piano another try.

Linda
02-18-2006, 03:25 PM
I totally agree! It was my parents who forced me. I liked my piano teacher.
Things just work out a whole lot better when the child wants to do it. I think that's the case with about everything. It should be fun, not a chore.

Now, where's everyone else's classical skills?! lol

Rocky-girl
02-19-2006, 02:11 AM
I was always admired by peoples who can do something that I can't. I couldn't finish my piano education, I think because I'm very lazy and don't love music as you do. But this thread is very good. Really.

MichaelCorleone
02-19-2006, 07:11 AM
I was always admired by peoples who can do something that I can't. I couldn't finish my piano education, I think because I'm very lazy and don't love music as you do. But this thread is very good. Really.

* I have always admired, like

Rocky-girl
02-19-2006, 09:33 AM
No you didn't undestand. People who can play the violin or piano always admired me. That is what I wanted to say.

Paint_It_Black
02-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Rocky-girl, I still somehow doubt that is really what you wanted to say. You want to say you admire them, because they can do something you can't. Right?

Rocky-girl
02-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Rocky-girl, I still somehow doubt that is really what you wanted to say. You want to say you admire them, because they can do something you can't. Right?
Yes that's right. I think you're the one person who understood this! Thanks. I came to conclusion that my english is bad...

Linda
02-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Bella, I was looking online and found this.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11030412&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1

It's a Casio, and says "keyboard", but is this what you are talking about?
It has 88 keys, just like a piano! It would be perfect, I think! hehe

Paint_It_Black
02-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Yes that's right. I think you're the one person who understood this! Thanks. I came to conclusion that my english is bad...

It's ok, anyone with any intelligence would have been able to easily understand what you meant. Your english isn't great, but it's good enough. You generally manage to communciate effectively, and that's what counts. And with practice your english will of course improve. Keep posting here and you'll be writing english better than the natives in no time at all.

Rocky-girl
02-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Thank you. I'll keep on. Anyway without people who understand me I have here nothing to do. I always was tought "right" english in school, but when I came here I understood:nobody speaks that "right" language.

killer_queen
02-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Okay, back on topic. Bella, I'm loving the thread. There are just a few people I know look good with violins and now you are one of them. I'm still waiting for the Two Guitars video.
Anyway, I'm so appreciating what you are doing. I never could kept on playing piano with a passion while I'm studying my lessons. My parents always encouarges me to go to medical school. They say there are a lot of doctors who are also great muscians. I felt the same thing about conservatory but I gave a try anyway. It was the biggest mistake of my life. Well, maybe not the biggest but still it was horrible. I couldn't pass the exam. There were just 36 people who took it and only losers were me and another girl who had been playing piano for 8 years. Call me arrogant or whatever you want but I was talented enough to pass that exam. But you know, I live in Turkey. That's how the things work here. Most of the students passed the exam with a help from their relatives or parnets' friends in the jury. After that I couldn't played piano that passionately again. I don't know why, maybe it was a childish attitude. Now I'm happy that I couldn't pass but I wish I haven't stopped playing it.
And about keyboards, God, I hate them. I'd like to play the worst piano instead of a keyboard. It's like, they don't have the same magic(?). Maybe it's just me...

killer_queen
02-19-2006, 11:25 AM
And Rocky Girl, your English is good enough. Like PIB said, anyone could understand that. If someone tries to correct you in an unpolite way just ignore them. There are a lot of retards who can attack you because you don't know their mother language perfectly. Show a little tolerance if you want, idiots need to insult unnecessarily to feel a little better.

JoY
02-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Bella, I was looking online and found this.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11030412&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1

It's a Casio, and says "keyboard", but is this what you are talking about?
It has 88 keys, just like a piano! It would be perfect, I think! hehe
Casio does make electric pianos! Yamaha is better, though. but Casio is cheaper. hmmmm...

JoY
02-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Gulsah, thank you for all the compliments! you always shower me with them & it always makes me all shy, heehee. but still nice, though. I completely agree with what you said about keyboards. you can hear so extremely well the sound isn't produced in a 'natural' way with snares & all that jazz. it's just electric ding-dang. also they're just ugly to look at. too bad they're so damn practical. (they're light, they're small, they're cheap[-er]) it's less bad when it registers how hard you hit the keys & if they have as many keys as a piano, but yeah.. still not quite like a piano. :/

Linda
02-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Casio does make electric pianos! Yamaha is better, though. but Casio is cheaper. hmmmm...

The Yamaha I saw were over $1,000! Do they all have stands that come with them like the Casio? Maybe it would be best to start with the Casio.
So hard to decide.

JoY
02-19-2006, 03:00 PM
yes, better yet.. they have stands that make them look slightly like a piano.

this is mine. I bought it second hand for 600 euros. new they are rather fucking expensive, but they're worth it. a Casio's sound would annoy me over time, I'm sure. & then I'd just stop playing all together.

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/7555/spa02374np.jpg

Linda
02-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Niiiice! I guess I'll just have to shop around more! How much would that have cost in American dollars?

JoY
02-19-2006, 03:03 PM
550? something like that.

& do shop around more! who knows what you'll find. try silly internet-sites & stuff like that. piano-dealers sometimes have things like this, too.

Linda
02-19-2006, 03:09 PM
That's a very good price. I'm not sure now, tho, if that was an electric piano I saw at that store. I should check again and look at it closer. WOW, the more I talk about it, the more I want one now! hehe I have a whole dresser drawer full of music, some from when I was a kid. I used to be able to play WipeOut by The Surfaris by heart.

JoY
02-20-2006, 12:42 PM
here's what my 'piano' sounds like. (Fur Elise is classical, so I guess it belongs here) it's not the greatest recording quality, but still a lot better than the ones I make with my cellphone.

also, Beethoven, my sincere apologies that I fuck up your work so much, but you'll have to understand that I was drunk when playing this & that at parts I have no idea what I should do with my left hand.

http://rapidshare.de/files/13731660/VOC002.WAV.html

Linda
02-20-2006, 04:35 PM
*applauds* Nice job, Bella!
Sounds like a piano to me!
Your violin sounded really nice too!
You're very talented.

JoY
02-21-2006, 03:30 AM
noes, I just got a PM from Maria, pointing out to me what I did wrong. but yeah, I'm absolutely no pianist. never really attempted to be & just figured some things out for the mere fun of it.

but the sound of a Yamaha is pretty good, isn't it? =D

& thank you for your kind compliment. =)

Paint_It_Black
02-21-2006, 03:42 AM
You should let us hear some of just you playing the violin. I usually prefer listening to just one (or a few instruments) instead of a whole orchestra.

You sound good, by the way, but you don't need me to tell you that.

JoY
02-21-2006, 03:57 AM
I don't know what to say. I'm really no good with a piano. really. my left hand is useless (it's faster than my right hand, when it should be the other way around), I can't read the notes (especially not those of the left hand), I've never had lessons, or someone to teach things to me & I'm *aware* that I suck.

wah, THANK you anyway, for liking it.<3 it's just.. people who don't play the piano are always pretty impressed. but people who do always shake their heads, take over the piano & turn whatever I was playing into something beautiful.

but having said this, I'll soon post up files of me & my violino. I sure hope you like the sound of my violin; I just bought it & sold my other one. I needed the money, but I loved the other one as much as the one I bought, if not more. boo, I wish I could own a world of violins. it's just not fair. like I said; I hope you like it's sound.

Linda
02-21-2006, 05:52 PM
but the sound of a Yamaha is pretty good, isn't it? =D

& thank you for your kind compliment. =)

Yes! It sounds to me just like a piano!

And you're welcome!

Bella, for someone who has never had piano lessons, you did damn good!
Seriously! Yeah, you made some mistakes, but who doesn't? You really did great!

JoY
02-22-2006, 11:10 AM
aw, thank you so much. *smiles*

JoY
03-01-2006, 09:35 AM
http://rapidshare.de/files/14436879/VOC001.WAV.html

I know, sloppy. very, very sloppy. I'm not really in the mood for violinplaying, but at the same time I am. just, times are kind of crappy right now. sometimes playing the violin helps, but playing classical music somehow never helps. it releases some kind of anger that doesn't suit the genre.

Per, I left you a gift in Your Band.

Linda
03-01-2006, 06:13 PM
That sounded very nice, Bella.

JoY
03-01-2006, 06:17 PM
thank you. =) glad you took the time to listen to it. (even though it's kind of a crappy recording) it's Bach. I don't have it on sheet anymore, but I used to. meh, I threw everything out after I stopped taking lessons. too bad, because I love Bach & this one should be longer. maybe I still have some stuff lying around at my parents'. I should check it out some time, so I have more to play for you guys.

JoY
11-24-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm digging up this one from the depths of thread-death for this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violin_Concerto_%28Mendelssohn%29

Felix Mendelssohn. <3
scroll straight to Media en open Violin Concerto in E minor, 1st movement; Allegro molto appassionato. the quality isn't too fantastic & also the violinist is sometimes off (wtf?), but this is the greatest violin concert ever to have been written. the day I can play this monstrous masterpiece, is the day I quit medicine, am fully satisfied & can die a happy Bella. don't forget to also check out the 2nd movement; Andante & the 3rd movement; Allegretto non troppo (funny, I know it as "Allegro molto vivace", but whatever).

next will be Max Bruch, Violin Concerto No. I in G minor, op. 26, if I can find it on the internets.

JoY
11-24-2006, 05:57 PM
http://www.last.fm/music/Max+Bruch/_/Violin+Concerto+in+G+minor+(3rd+Movement)+%7B1%7D

this is only a miniscule sample, but it was the best I could do for now.

Edit: OH MY GOD, I'm in absolute horror. *shuddershuddershudder* THIS is how an entire orchestra is able to make a concerto even with a fine solist sound like a total fucking carwreck. sure, the solist isn't entirely flawless (she's mighty good, though), but what the orchestra's doing is simply hard to listen to without feeling tears burning away your eyeballs. how did she ever collect the courage to sit & play this fucking thing out without running away screaming?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sw2zn0Y9-9w&mode=related&search=

Llamas
11-24-2006, 07:41 PM
haha should I really post here? I have like 9 classical instruments? Something like that. I have an alto and a tenor saxophone, which I do play jazz with, but mostly classical music. I have a clarinet, a flute, a keyboard, a trombone, a trumpet... I think that's it for instruments you can play classical music on. The other two are an electric guitar and a mandolin.

My alto sax is a YAS 62 http://www.brassnwoodwind.com.au/YAS62SaxCaseBoxSS.jpg
it was around $3000?

My tenor sax is an LAsax, burnished brass... can't find a photo of it right now. I think it was around $2000ish.

Those are my prides and joys, particularly my alto. I miss how good I used to be at it. :( Sometimes I get around to playing some of my favorite sonatas and such, but I just don't have the time anymore... *sigh* I would like this thread if it didn't make me so nostalgically sad. :(

All About Eve
11-24-2006, 07:45 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sw2zn0Y9-9w&mode=related&search=
That was actually embarassing at some points =/. And I'm not even a big strings fan or player.

JoY
11-25-2006, 06:04 AM
That was actually embarassing at some points =/. And I'm not even a big strings fan or player.

I know! this concerto is way difficult to play, so the violinist did pretty well. I know I wouldn't able to play the thing, but I do know this concerto inside out, so I can pick up on mistakes. but the orchestra.. man, the orchestra... oh fuck, poor violinist. I probably would've walked away, not kidding. it's one of the most beautiful concertos in the entire world & they completely fucking raped it.

arak0r
11-25-2006, 10:57 PM
my current myspace song is a quality piece of music by mr liszt

Venom Symbiote
11-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Yo dat crackah Beethoven laid some sweet grooves, dawg, some phat lines, shit.

JoY
11-26-2006, 05:26 AM
*raises eyebrow*..roight.

JoY
12-04-2006, 06:00 AM
I'm just going to announce this everyfuckingwhere, because it's simply too awesome.

for anyone who plays either classical music, or a classical instrument, I've just found your dream site. it's the fucking loveboat of the internet & it gives me many heartgasms.

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26948

killer_queen
12-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Bella, I've always loved you with my whole being but now it's like, you're the only I love. Thanks A LOT. <333333

JoY
12-04-2006, 09:12 AM
you're totally welcome. <33

I've got an exam tomorrow, but I seriously can't help myself; I've been browsing this site, ever since I found it. that'd be almost all day. & my (NEW) printer cartridge is suddenly now almost empty. hmm, I wonder how that happened. *wide grin*

JoY
12-04-2006, 03:04 PM
I just found the music to that & I'm still dizzy from just looking at it. not so much the beginning, but what comes later. holy jazz... I wouldn't only need to pick up taking lessons again to be able to do that, a miracle would need to happen. I think I just broke my brain & internal ear, reading that & playing it in my head.

I can't find Mozart's concerto No. 23 on the site, unfortunately. about the orchestra; I used to be in symphonic orchestras, now I play in a gipsy "orchestra", but it's more a band. we're with 7/8, so that quite a difference from what I was used to. (around 40 people in symphonic orchestras)

my fav violin concertos are the ones I mentioned in this thread of Felix Mendelssohn & Max Bruch. I suppose you know them.

JoY
12-04-2006, 03:15 PM
oh yes, the 1st movement is my favorite, also. absolutely fabulous. it's a mixture of emotions, skills, awe, beauty.. *sighs* it's so many things. it takes my breath away every single time & I listen to it almost every evening. I'm unoriginal & boring, I know. I need variation, but I just like it so much.<3

Paganini isn't someone to mess with. oh boy. if anything, if anyone... he's brilliant & fantastic.

JoY
12-08-2006, 02:12 AM
hahaha, Maria! don't insult me, sweetheart. don't think now that I only listen to violin. I've got bunches of other classical music on my computer & on cds. it just happens to be so that my favorite concertos are violin concertos. it's not only that I can appreciate it for the technique, the mindblowing fantasy with which they were written (sometimes violin concertos display techniques & ways to play the violin, that I never knew were possible), but also the sound of the violin has always, from the age of two, been the most appealing to me. it's a subtle, sensitive, emotional, passionate sound. a violin can cry, but it can also scream, smile, laugh, be heartbroken, in love... everything. like a piano, but different. it's a single tone, the bow directly strokes the snares & fingers dance on them with precise accuracy. *sigh*

of all brass instruments my favorites are the [French] horn in classical music (3 meters of rolled up subtlety), the clarinette (that warm hollow sound) & the trumpet (Louis Armstrong) & sax (papa & daughter Dulfer) in jazz music. the oboe was purely invented for Marcello's concerto & otherwise I think it's (one of) the most horrible instrument(-s) out there.

violin & piano concertos are the absolute best, by the way. they can beat an entire orchestra. concertos written for a symphonic orchestra, made so they can also be performed by violin & piano are freakin' fantastic. the piano is the best solo instrument out there. you need to add very little to get a variation of sounds that would satisfy the musical ear. piano alone could do, but I still like it better when it's accompanied by another instrument. & the sound of violin & piano together is amazing. it's almost like they were made for each other.

as for anything that doesn't include a violin;
*Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven. it's unoriginal I should love it so much, but can you blame me?
*Chopin's Nocturne 20, or is it 21? the one of the Pianist. I can play the first bit of it, the "intro". even just that makes my heart jump.
*Amelie/Yann Tiersen. atmosphere-wise it's RIGHT on the money. when having seen the movie, this music will bring you right back to it, whenever you hear it/listen to it. the feel it gives is exactly right.
*Marcello's concerto for oboe. (it's also on the site, but they translated it for another instrument, or something, & now it looks all stupid) it's silly I should mention it. it was written for symphonic orchestras, so naturally there are violins involved.

JoY
12-08-2006, 07:46 AM
"the butter violin".. awwies, VERY cute! I didn't know that.
I would like to underline that the only thing Mozart & I possibly have in common is having such an early liking for the sound of a violin. not that I need to point that out, but *giggle* you said it reminded you of Mozart. & Mozart is <3.

good luck on your schoolwork. what is it about?