PDA

View Full Version : The Vandals

endlesst0m
02-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Thier music is really wierd, but it seems okay from what i've heard. im not sure if i should buy thier cds or not...

0r4ng3
02-18-2006, 07:20 PM
The CD you should buy depends on what you like. If you're into really punk stuff, get Hitler Bad, Vandals Good, or anything earlier. If you're into the pop-punk stuff, get Look What I Almost Stepped In or later.

Endymion
02-18-2006, 07:28 PM
If you're into really punk stuff, get Hitler Bad, Vandals Good, or anything earlier.
i frowny-face@u

0r4ng3
02-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Hold on, let me rephrase.

t0m, you should get Live Fast Diarrhea. Like, as soon as possible. As if your life depends on it.

Revolver-2005?
02-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Live Fast Diarrhea is a great album, buy it

nameless
02-18-2006, 08:03 PM
i like all their albums! it was look what i almost stepped in that first got me into them though!

Endymion
02-18-2006, 08:05 PM

t0m, you should get Live Fast Diarrhea. Like, as soon as possible. As if your life depends on it.
my comment had nothing to do with the particular album you named :(

0r4ng3
02-18-2006, 08:07 PM
You're saying The Vandals aren't tru punx? I guess they aren't, but I have difficulty telling the difference.

coke_a_holic
02-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Vandals = poserband of faggots performing faggotry. srsly gheyz

*hides copy of Peace Thru Vandalism purchased a few years ago*

Endymion
02-18-2006, 08:14 PM
tru punx from when i was in middle school =/ (why yes, i did fail pretty hard) (http://songs.litmusgreen.com/ItMustSuckToBeYou/Litmus_Green-It_Must_Suck-01-Jesus_H._Christ.mp3)

Apathy
02-18-2006, 09:40 PM
The CD you should buy depends on what you like. If you're into really punk stuff, get Hitler Bad, Vandals Good, or anything earlier. If you're into the pop-punk stuff, get Look What I Almost Stepped In or later.

I think... It's all pop punk. But if you're into the offspring, you'll most likely not care if it is. Most people who like the offspring like the vandals, so I'd say go for buying a cd.

I think Hitler Bad, Vandals Good is their best, in my personal opinion, but you can probably download a few samples off of a myspace or some other equivalent.

0r4ng3
02-18-2006, 09:42 PM
Yeah, it's all pop punk, but it varies on what degree of poppiness.

Also, avoid listening to their MySpace. They only have two songs from Shingo Japanese Remix, and they both suck.

Endymion
02-18-2006, 10:23 PM
the vandals are fun, but they ain't tru punx =/

nieh
02-19-2006, 07:21 AM

Agreed. Live Fast Diarrhea is awesome. Everything after has only been "meh" by comparison and I was never a huge fan of their original line-up. The guitar-work on that album is hilarious.

0r4ng3
02-19-2006, 07:37 AM
The only album I've never heard is The Quickening. How's that?

Oh, and "Kick Me" is their greatest song ever.

nieh
02-19-2006, 07:40 AM
I haven't heard the Quickening in a long, long time. I remember it being more along the lines of Live Fast Diarrhea than Hitler Bad but not quite as good.

Betty
02-19-2006, 03:56 PM
I find that I don't enjoy the Vandals as much as I used to, but I find that they have really, really good songs spanning various albums.

Chinatown!
Kick Me
Kick It
And Now We Dance
Jackass (yes, I love it)
Let The Bad Times Roll

And some maybe weirder ones to like...

Stop Smiling
Money's Not An Issue
Soccer Mom

Llamas
02-19-2006, 06:41 PM
anyone who uses the word "punx" doesn't deserve to define what punk is. And the Vandals are a punk band. They weren't mainstream or on the radio, so they don't get the pop notation. They are punk by all technical definitions.

I own Hollywood Potatochip, Live fast diarhea, hitler bad vandals good, and look at what I almost stepped in... hollywood is my least favorite... otherwise I like them all a lot. :)

0r4ng3
02-19-2006, 06:44 PM
I said "tru punx" sarcastically. I know what I'm talking about.

I can see how you dislike Hollywood Potato Chip. It only has about 2 songs that don't suck.

Endymion
02-19-2006, 09:39 PM
They are punk by all technical definitions.
incorrect. they easily fail many of the tru punx tests.
a) they do not sound like a weed-whacker in someone's colon
b) their lyrics aren't about how punk they are
c) i don't see enough studs, spikes, piercings, and leather boots
d) etc

so what, they're pop-punk. you act as if that's a bad thing.

original_prankster
02-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Most punk bands don't sing about how punk they are. Well, most of the ones I listen to, anyway. What you described there was street punk, which pretty much does kinda suck. There are a few good street punk bands though. Like The Unseen and A Global Threat and..um...that's about it.

I hope you were joking, which I think you are.

coke_a_holic
02-19-2006, 09:51 PM
You guys are all wrong. This is the test:

Tru punx = true punks
pop-punx = gay poser punks

Man, you guys are stupid.

Endymion
02-19-2006, 10:05 PM
darby crash = ultimate tru punx

Llamas
02-19-2006, 11:47 PM
tru punx= retarded people

true punk= NOT A CLOTHING STYLE. It's an attitude. Listen to the vandals' lyrics. Did the ramones talk about how punk they were? hell no. Dumbass. Anyone who calls themselves punk and talks about it in their songs is a dumb wannabe. If you're punk, you know it and don't have to brag about it. You don't have to dress a certain way to be punk, idiot. Good charlotte wear studs and mohawks and shit like that, and they are NOT punk.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-20-2006, 12:01 AM
lolz, who are you calling an idiot?

Llamas
02-20-2006, 12:21 AM
ya muhtha ;)

Endymion
02-20-2006, 12:31 AM
i propose that good charlotte are more punk than the vandals.

evidence:
none of the members of good charlotte have jobs (= more punx)
members of the vandals own businesses (!= punx)
members of the vandals play golf (!= punx)
good charlotte aren't from orange county, one of the biggest middle class white family citadels in america (= more punx)
the vandals are from orange county, one of the biggest middle class white family citadels in america (!= punx)
the members of good charlotte are younger than the members of the vandals (= more punx)

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-20-2006, 02:11 AM

evidence:
good charlotte aren't from orange county, one of the biggest middle class white family citadels in america (= more punx)
the vandals are from orange county, one of the biggest middle class white family citadels in america (!= punx)
the members of good charlotte are younger than the members of the vandals (= more punx)

the vandals dont set out to make a killing off of their music, hence having day jobs.
social distortion, the adolescents, TSOL, came from orange county..are you going to discount their "punkness"?

the whole "punker than thou" mentality, and picking out whose punk or not, is bullshit. fuck it. if you want to make punk elitist, and try to put it into a small scope, go ahead...but then you are going against what it was started for in the first place.

Drum Goddess
02-20-2006, 05:28 AM
Vandals = poserband of faggots performing faggotry. srsly gheyz

*hides copy of Peace Thru Vandalism purchased a few years ago*
Fuck that shit. The Vandals kick so much ass.

Endymion
02-20-2006, 07:51 AM
the vandals dont set out to make a killing off of their music, hence having day jobs.
day jobs like owning a record company and publishing a golf magazine?

social distortion, the adolescents, TSOL, came from orange county..are you going to discount their "punkness"?
yes.

the whole "punker than thou" mentality, and picking out whose punk or not, is bullshit. fuck it. if you want to make punk elitist, and try to put it into a small scope, go ahead...but then you are going against what it was started for in the first place.
i don't have to make punk elitist, just look at all the punks decrying their individuality and uniqueness at the expense of anyone who wears pants that fit or hair that isn't spiked in some fashion.

fuckin' poser.

nieh
02-20-2006, 07:56 AM

And owning a law firm? And playing drums on Avril Lavigne's first album? And writing songs for "School of Rock"?

XYlophonetreeZ
02-20-2006, 08:22 AM
ZOMG NOOOOOO Avril Lavigne = NOT TRU PUNX!!!!1

Betty
02-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Joe Escalante is a conservative and an amateur bull fighter. Definitely not tru punx.

coke_a_holic
02-20-2006, 11:31 AM

evidence:
Good Charlotte grew up like 15 minutes away from here. Which makes me punx.

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-20-2006, 12:43 PM

yes.

i don't have to make punk elitist, just look at all the punks decrying their individuality and uniqueness at the expense of anyone who wears pants that fit or hair that isn't spiked in some fashion.

fuckin' poser.

jello biafra, brett gurewitz, ian mackaye...all own record labels.

im not saying youre being elitist, im just saying that instead of hating bands because they are punk or not...why waste time with that? what ever happened to hating bands because they sound like shit? If you dont like the vandals because you hate their music, thats perfectly fine with me, but "because they aren't true punks", just seems like a cop out to me.

Endymion
02-20-2006, 11:35 PM
hey, whoa, where did i say that i didn't like the vandals? i just counted, i have six of their albums. all i said was that they're pop-punk.

Revolver-2005?
02-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Some people just can't realize when others are joking

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-21-2006, 03:27 PM
haha well you know how sarcasm is hard to come by on these boards. i figured you were joking, but then i also wasn't quite sure. sometimes people talk crazy and they are absolutely serious. :D

i apologize, no negative feelings i hope.

Endymion
02-21-2006, 08:35 PM
none whatsoever.