PDA

View Full Version : Album Names

Hux
02-18-2006, 09:43 PM
This has kind of been done before but never answered properly.

Why did they call Smash, Americana and Conspiracy Of One (the albums) that? They never released Smash, Americana and Conspiracy Of One (the songs) as singles.

While I'm at it, does anyone know why Ignition, Ixnay On The Hombre and Splinter that as well?

Drummerguy123
02-18-2006, 09:46 PM
I believe Ignition is from Burn it Up and Splinter is from Long Way Home. I don't know about Ixnay on the Hombre.

Hux
02-18-2006, 09:47 PM
That could be so, although that's a bit strange, but why did they name it that?

Drummerguy123
02-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Who knows? I like the name Ixnay on the Hombre a lot, though. It seems to fit the mood of the album.

bd007h
02-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Pay The Man was written for Ixnay On The Homrbe. Ixnay On The Hombre means down with the man, or fuck the man. I've heard a rumour that Pay The Man may of originally been Fuck The Man.

Drummerguy123
02-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Pay The Man was written for Ixnay On The Homrbe. Ixnay On The Hombre means down with the man, or fuck the man. I've heard a rumour that Pay The Man may of originally been Fuck The Man.

Oh yeah. I see know. I never thought of that before. But I'm pretty sure it means "down with the man," not "fuck the man."

bd007h
02-18-2006, 10:04 PM
I know it's down with the man, but basically the same meaning as fuck the man.

Hux
02-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Cool, 1 down 5 to go.

wazzup22
02-18-2006, 11:17 PM
I remeber an interview with noodles about Americana and it is somthing about how the album stereotypes the typical American, so Americana would be influenced by the song.

P.S. post 69 woot lol

JohnnyNemesis
02-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Americana is their only album that has a consistent theme throughout. Listen to the meanings of each song, and they're talking about American qualities throughout. Every single song fits the American theme, but especially The Kids Aren't Alright, She's Got Issues, Why Don't You Get A Job?, and Americana too.

I'm thinking Pay The Man fits this theme too, with America being a capitalist nation and all.

Hux
02-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Yeah, that sounds like a legitimate reason to name the album Americana.

Venom Symbiote
02-18-2006, 11:36 PM
It's just about the general themes of the albums, fuck.

And Americana is the only album consistent in theme? :rolleyes: Yeah, right. Self-Titled, or "The Offspring" is very much to do with being a youth (or an "Offspring" if you will, ho ho ho) in today's modern world, and how our views shape who we are in that respect.

Ignition's not really consistent, neither is Smash.

Ixnay, however, hell yes it is. That record itself is all revolving around the title translation, "Ixnay on the Hombre", and the "Alla te Espero". It's all in there, folks.

Americana, as aforementioned, is a unified theme.

Conspiracy is too, is you have the neural capacity to look below the surface.

Splinter, not really, but it does have similar themes throughout. Not as unified though.

SO, a more accurate remark would be "all of the albums except Ignition, Smash, and Splinter are of a common theme".

I mean...fuck. ;) *exasperated* You people need to hesitate and think a little about what you're saying before spewing it onto a keyboard.

Drummerguy123
02-18-2006, 11:38 PM
Americana is their only album that has a consistent theme throughout. Listen to the meanings of each song, and they're talking about American qualities throughout. Every single song fits the American theme, but especially The Kids Aren't Alright, She's Got Issues, Why Don't You Get A Job?, and Americana too.

I'm thinking Pay The Man fits this theme too, with America being a capitalist nation and all.

That's why i love the Offspring. Unlike Green Day, they don't need a story to unify an album. Even just the way the songs are organized and the contrast between them unified Ixnay on the Hombre so much.

bd007h
02-18-2006, 11:42 PM
That's why i love the Offspring. Unlike Green Day, they don't need a story to unify an album. Even just the way the songs are organized and the contrast between them unified Ixnay on the Hombre so much.

American idiot was the only Green Day album with a unified theme

Drummerguy123
02-18-2006, 11:49 PM
American idiot was the only Green Day album with a unified theme

Okay. That only helps my point even more that Green Day needs a storyline to unify an album.

bd007h
02-18-2006, 11:54 PM
not really, Nimrod and Warning were better albums, and Dookie was more successful

JohnnyNemesis
02-18-2006, 11:54 PM
It's just about the general themes of the albums, fuck.

And Americana is the only album consistent in theme? :rolleyes: Yeah, right. Self-Titled, or "The Offspring" is very much to do with being a youth (or an "Offspring" if you will, ho ho ho) in today's modern world, and how our views shape who we are in that respect.

Ignition's not really consistent, neither is Smash.

Ixnay, however, hell yes it is. That record itself is all revolving around the title translation, "Ixnay on the Hombre", and the "Alla te Espero". It's all in there, folks.

Americana, as aforementioned, is a unified theme.

Conspiracy is too, is you have the neural capacity to look below the surface.

Splinter, not really, but it does have similar themes throughout. Not as unified though.

SO, a more accurate remark would be "all of the albums except Ignition, Smash, and Splinter are of a common theme".

I mean...fuck. ;) *exasperated* You people need to hesitate and think a little about what you're saying before spewing it onto a keyboard.

You need to calm the fuck down, stop stretching the definition of "themed" to fit your completely narrow-minded and uninformed opinions, and stop acting like you know any more than anyone else on the matter. In other words, quit your whining.

I mean, for fuck's sake, look at what you're getting so "exasperated" over: the fact that someone dared overlook Ixnay On The Hombre or Conspiracy Of One as themed albums when they very clearly aren't themed with as much consistency or purpose as Americana is. Yeah, it's themed in the same way every other album in existence is, but your examples are flawed as fuck. "Being a youth in the modern world"? Jeez, how pretentious and VAGUE can you be?

The key to a themed album is that it's NOT vague, and you don't HAVE to look beyond the surface because it's presented to you with a clear purpose. Other albums are titled to fit similarities/common topics in songs (like Ixnay and Co1 are); themed albums are meant to be a cohesive unit, period. There IS a difference, if you have the "neural capacity" (haha) to look for it.

Your post is all style and no substance, so shut the fuck up until you can come up with the latter.

Drummerguy123
02-18-2006, 11:59 PM
You need to calm the fuck down, stop stretching the definition of "themed" to fit your completely narrow-minded and uninformed opinions, and stop acting like you know any more than anyone else on the matter. In other words, quit your whining.

I mean, for fuck's sake, look at what you're getting so "exasperated" over: the fact that someone dared overlook Ixnay On The Hombre or Conspiracy Of One as themed albums when they very clearly aren't themed with as much consistency or purpose as Americana is. Yeah, it's themed in the same way every other album in existence is, but your examples are flawed as fuck. "Being a youth in the modern world"? Jeez, how pretentious and VAGUE can you be?

The key to a themed album is that it's NOT vague, and you don't HAVE to look beyond the surface because it's presented to you with a clear purpose. Other albums are titled to fit similarities/common topics in songs (like Ixnay and Co1 are); themed albums are meant to be a cohesive unit, period. There IS a difference, if you have the "neural capacity" (haha) to look for it.

Your post is all style and no substance, so shut the fuck up until you can come up with the latter.

That's why he is on my ignore list. He seems to thrive on attempting (not succeding) to prove everybody else wrong. I have spent so many countless hours studying and analyzing Ixnay on the Hombre (I know, I'm obsessed with it) and i haven't found any central theme. Sure, some of the songs have similar meanings, but only 2 or 3 of them do.

JohnnyNemesis
02-19-2006, 12:02 AM
The common concept of that album is "Down With The Man", as the title suggests, but that idea is way too vague to hold any weight in any argument, which is why you've yet to find a theme. Heck, "Ixnay On The Hombre" applies to 99% of punk music and 50% of rap music.

Drummerguy123
02-19-2006, 12:04 AM
The common concept of that album is "Down With The Man", as the title suggests, but that idea is way too vague to hold any weight in any argument, which is why you've yet to find a theme. Heck, "Ixnay On The Hombre" applies to 99% of punk music and 50% of rap music.

That is pretty much what i meant, just explained a bit better.

Llamas
02-19-2006, 02:06 AM
ignition= I think it was not really that summarizing of a title. Either it was just because of the song "burn it up", or it might've been regarding a more internal feeling.

smash= probably just cause of the song? also doesn't seem like a very creative title

ixnay= right, down with the man. bases covered.

americana= concept album! very well done, too. I think offspring fans underrate this album. concept album through the eyes of a kid growing up in suburban America.

Conspiracy of One= this album deals more with global/american affairs in politics than the others- less individualized. And the song conspiracy of one is about the power struggle between super powers and smaller nations... much more broad subject

Splinter= probably because they wanted this album to touch base with each one of their previous releases (which I can totally make that connection). It was an album that they didn't want to fit a specific generalization, and branched out more- hence, splinter.

That's what I think. :)

Rufus
02-19-2006, 02:13 AM
I heard somewhere that Dexter said that Splinter is called Splinter because the music Splinters off in different directions.

notoriousdoc
02-19-2006, 02:14 AM
I translated Ixnay on the Hombre (roughly) as Too Much on the Man.

When you unify an album, it always sounds so much better. I enjoyed Smash because it's songs were great, I enjoyed Americana not only because the songs were great, but because they were all unified.

Hux
02-19-2006, 02:53 AM
Conspiracy of One= this album deals more with global/american affairs in politics than the others- less individualized. And the song conspiracy of one is about the power struggle between super powers and smaller nations... much more broad subject

Splinter= probably because they wanted this album to touch base with each one of their previous releases (which I can totally make that connection). It was an album that they didn't want to fit a specific generalization, and branched out more- hence, splinter.
Conspiracy Of One - It has only one song, Conspiracy Of One, which is to do with political affairs.

Splinter - That makes sense, maybe that is the reason.

Dexter_italy
02-19-2006, 03:04 AM
I never focused on the albums theme. but I always noticed that amercana has the american society as main theme, and it's funny how it's pointed as the more commercial album when if you listen to the lyrics it's so fucking cool! I think smash too has a bit of this theme and I think they called it in this way because of the song, i mean " we're not trendy asshole, we do what we want we do what we feel like"....... that's what they did :D
________
Free Streaming Xxx Movies (http://www.fucktube.com/)

Hux
02-19-2006, 03:09 AM
I think smash too has a bit of this theme and I think they called it in this way because of the song, i mean " we're not trendy asshole, we do what we want we do what we feel like"....... that's what they did :D
It's:

I'm not a trendy asshole, do what I want, do what I feel like.

DICKON
02-19-2006, 04:06 AM
Splinter is because of the lyrics in Long Way Home:

"Like fragments of a broken mind
I SPLINTER by my own design"

and also, go onto News and select 2003, the top link 'Greetings from Dexter!' and he says:

"Why call the album Splinter? Because it seems like our records with one-word titles do better. Americana, Smash, people seem to be into those records more. That, and having song titles with words in parentheses seems to be a good idea too, Im not sure why. See, weve really put a lot of thought into this!"

Holger estonia
02-19-2006, 05:00 AM
I believe Ignition is from Burn it Up and Splinter is from Long Way Home. I don't know about Ixnay on the Hombre.
I think Gone Away is from Ixnay of Hombre

Bryan_AVA
02-19-2006, 06:03 AM
The Offspring - Jennifer Lost The War, they say "she was only 6 years old"
Ignition - Burn It Up, it's about fire
Smash - The Song Smash
Ixnay on the Hombre - Way Down The Line?
Americana - The Song Americana
Conspiracy of One - The Song Conspiracy of One, the album is about war: Million Miles Away, Living in Chaos, Conspiracy of One
Splinter - Long Way Home, "I SPLINTER by my own design"

Drummerguy123
02-19-2006, 10:26 AM
I think Gone Away is from Ixnay of Hombre
Notice the lack of intelligence/common sense in this post...

Lithuanian Offspring
02-19-2006, 11:21 AM
not really, Nimrod and Warning were better albums, and Dookie was more successful
Was Dookie more successful then AMERICAN IDIOT? I highly doubt that.

Lithuanian Offspring
02-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Ignition - Burn It Up, it's about fire
Smash - The Song Smash
Ixnay on the Hombre - Way Down The Line?
Americana - The Song Americana
Conspiracy of One - The Song Conspiracy of One, the album is about war: Million Miles Away, Living in Chaos, Conspiracy of One
Splinter - Long Way Home, "I SPLINTER by my own design"
Those are the most retard explanations I have ever heard. My God....

Bryan_AVA
02-19-2006, 11:38 AM
sorry dude lol

0r4ng3
02-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Actually, Dookie sold more than American Idiot. AI is just more popular because of the mass amounts of attention-whoring.

notoriousdoc
02-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Change the World is Ixnay's, I think

Hux
02-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Some of you are giving answers without reasons and some of you who give reasons have little support to be considered a valid explanation.

Dexter_italy
02-19-2006, 02:06 PM
It's:

I'm not a trendy asshole, do what I want, do what I feel like.

really???? oh thanks I didn't know.... I never read the lyrics of smash. (joking if someone still doesn't understand) :cool: What I meant is that the line of the song reflected the thoughts of the band in that period
________
Yamaha Dx5 Specifications (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_DX5)

Llamas
02-19-2006, 02:37 PM
oh god. any person that says that they named their albums because of a word from ONE SONG is a retard. If they named "splinter" because of one word in long way home, why didn't they name the album "design"? Ugh. retards.

Nounou
02-19-2006, 03:14 PM

Damn ! Do you really know about what the fuck is that song about ? :rolleyes: there are no links with the name of the album ... :eek: It's about a girl that died (burned) in 1944 if I'm not mistaken.

JohnnyNemesis
02-19-2006, 03:46 PM

It was more successful than American Idiot, to answer your question.

Llamas
02-19-2006, 04:14 PM
it truly was more successful. AI was just promoted more and made into a bigger deal.

Ninty Man
02-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Lets see

I really think that Americana it's a critic of the american way of life, even Pretty Fly... Seriously

Ixnay it's really difficult... I still don't know why they used a mexican representation of the death... In fact, here in Mexico we laugh of death... and maybe I Choose resumes much of that meaning.

Look, it's kinda difficult explain the meaning of Ixnay, and the relationship with the art (I mean, the pictures) and the songs...

Maybe If we ask Dexter

Drummerguy123
02-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Ixnay's art is in the style of Dia de Los Muertos, Day of the Dead, so there is a bit of a relationship. And there is symbolism in the pictures, too, if you look closely (i.e. the whip, the souls being pulled into Hell, and the one skeleton flipping off the masses).

Ninty Man
02-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Ixnay's art is in the style of Dia de Los Muertos, Day of the Dead, so there is a bit of a relationship. And there is symbolism in the pictures, too, if you look closely (i.e. the whip, the souls being pulled into Hell, and the one skeleton flipping off the masses).

ALL RIGHT!! You know about Da de los Muertos... unfortunately, its dying against Halloween.

Yep, Im watching it, and there's a relationship about the death and everything.. but... I still cant really note it

Drummerguy123
02-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Dude, I live in Tucson, like 20 minutes from the border. Half my family is Mexican, I'm pretty sure I'd know what it is. And I have literally spent hours studying every bit of Ixnay (I'm a bit obsessed) and I have found almost all symbolism and hidden meanings and junk in the album.

Ninty Man
02-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Dude, I live in Tucson, like 20 minutes from the border. Half my family is Mexican, I'm pretty sure I'd know what it is. And I have literally spent hours studying every bit of Ixnay (I'm a bit obsessed) and I have found almost all symbolism and hidden meanings and junk in the album.

Men, that's cool, almost kinda scary...

Well, maybe you can explain this better that me

Drummerguy123
02-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Didn't I already?

Ninty Man
02-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Didn't I already?

not really :cool:

Drummerguy123
02-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Whatever. I'm too lazy right now. maybe later.

Ninty Man
02-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Whatever. I'm too lazy right now. maybe later.

Ah, ok... men... i wanna play XD

Drummerguy123
02-19-2006, 07:51 PM
WTF? :confused:

Ninty Man
02-19-2006, 07:52 PM
WTF? :confused:

You know... Xbox live???

Drummerguy123
02-19-2006, 07:54 PM
You completely lost me.

Ninty Man
02-19-2006, 08:00 PM
You completely lost me.

I have that effect on people

Drummerguy123
02-19-2006, 08:02 PM
I have that effect on people
^very weird

Llamas
02-19-2006, 09:22 PM
how does D = box live??? *is also confused*

Hux
02-19-2006, 09:31 PM
So we've established that Ixnay On The Hombre means Down With The Man. Does anyone know which words mean Down, With, The and Man?

Drummerguy123
02-19-2006, 09:32 PM
So we've established that Ixnay On The Hombre means Down With The Man. Does anyone know which words mean Down, With, The and Man?

Ixnay on the- Down with the

Hombre- Man

That_Guy91
ixnay=nix=no, basically. and hombre=man.

Hux
Ok, thanks.

Drummerguy123
02-19-2006, 09:33 PM
ixnay=nix=no, basically. and hombre=man.

haha. I win.

That_Guy91
02-19-2006, 09:33 PM
haha. I win.
I got the Ixnay part more literally. Call it a tie?

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-19-2006, 09:38 PM
I read that CO1 is a very introspective record. A vast majority of the songs deal with the character's mentality or what's going on in their heads. A good chunk of these songs are sung in 1st person. Dexter puts himself in these various situations. So really Conspiracy Of One seems to show how much more dangerous one man or a small group can be than a vast amount of people, and the kind of things that go on within an individual's mindset.

Drummerguy123
02-19-2006, 09:46 PM
I read that CO1 is a very introspective record. A vast majority of the songs deal with the character's mentality or what's going on in their heads. A good chunk of these songs are sung in 1st person. Dexter puts himself in these various situations. So really Conspiracy Of One seems to show how much more dangerous one man or a small group can be than a vast amount of people, and the kind of things that go on within an individual's mindset.

Holy shit. You just put everything in perspective for me. wow. I mean, like,

Come out Swinging- You (I?) can pull out of ths and come out ahead

OP- You (I?) are a a real jokester and thrive on pranks. dur

WYB- I want you to be bad (1st person)

MMA- i am so isolated from the world

Dammit, I Changed Again- I am a completely different person. dur

Living in Chaos- I live in a crazy world full of violence and greed

Special Delivery- I am insanely obsessed with you

One Fine Day- How I like to live my life. dur

All Along- I once believed you, but I was wrong

Denial, Revisited- I refuse to believe you left me forever

Vultures- I'm not as crazy or bad as you think I am

Conspiracy of One- I believe you explained this one already

wow.

Hux
02-19-2006, 09:50 PM
You explained them very well. Good job.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Holy shit. You just put everything in perspective for me. wow. I mean, like,

Come out Swinging- You (I?) can pull out of ths and come out ahead

OP- You (I?) are a a real jokester and thrive on pranks. dur

WYB- I want you to be bad (1st person)

MMA- i am so isolated from the world

Dammit, I Changed Again- I am a completely different person. dur

Living in Chaos- I live in a crazy world full of violence and greed

Special Delivery- I am insanely obsessed with you

One Fine Day- How I like to live my life. dur

All Along- I once believed you, but I was wrong

Denial, Revisited- I refuse to believe you left me forever

Vultures- I'm not as crazy or bad as you think I am

wow.

Was this sarcasm? I didn't see any explanation in this thread of CO1 having the introspective theme, so I figured I would contribute that. Sorry if I missed something in this thread.

Drummerguy123
02-19-2006, 09:56 PM
Was this sarcasm? I didn't see any explanation in this thread of CO1 having the introspective theme, so I figured I would contribute that. Sorry if I missed something in this thread.

No, I was being completely serious.

You explained them very well. Good job.

Thank you.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-19-2006, 09:58 PM
No, I was being completely serious.

Oh ok. It's been a long day today and I can't tell anything about anything anymore. Thank you for breaking it down track by track, you did what I was too lazy to do, haha. :)

Drummerguy123
02-19-2006, 09:59 PM
lol. No problem. I actually sort of enjoy doing that. Want me to do it for Ixnay, too? I know that album insanely well.

:rolleyes:

Llamas
02-19-2006, 10:25 PM
I don't agree with all your explanations... and some are just way too dumbed down...

Come out Swinging- is a second person song about getting through life on your own even though nobody has your back. Pushing through things, motivation, struggle.

OP- this is a punk song in lyrics. just about doing whatever you want, causing trouble and never stopping no matter what anyone says.

WYB- yeah this one you got right.

MMA- i am so isolated from the world- right, and I just can't get where I belong. I can't find what I am looking for and what I need. I'm completely empty inside...

Dammit, I Changed Again- I can't control who I am, and I unwillingly change to suit situations, even when I don't want to. I just want to feel like I'm myself.

Living in Chaos- I live in a crazy world full of violence and greed- and I want to do something about it. I want other people to take it into their own hands and try to improve what we live in.

Special Delivery- This one is through the eyes of one of their stalker fans.

One Fine Day- You can't possibly take this one seriously... it's much like OP- very punk in lyrics. Just about wanting to smash things and be very immature.

All Along- I once believed you, but I was wrong- yeah, pretty much

Denial, Revisited- I refuse to believe you left me forever- same. easy.

Vultures- I'm not as crazy or bad as you think I am- not at ALL. This song is about society- not the individual. referring to people around him in the world as "vultures". reminds me "it'll be a long time" in lyrics. I won't do what you say, you'll full of bullshit, you assholes.

anyway, as far as first person/putting himself in that perspective, he does that on all the albums... how is co1 different? I do agree about the dangerous person theme, though. I think this album does a lot with the main character speaking to a SPECIFIC PERSON. That seems to be the focus of the album. While he usually sings in first person and puts himself in various positions, he does not usually speak to a specific person- he usually comments on generalities.

Hux
02-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Nicely detailed. Why do people ignore Huck It?

Llamas
02-19-2006, 11:40 PM
Most people (including me) don't have "huck it" on their albums. The original version of the cd did not have that song on it. I bought it when it came out. Only people who got it later have "huck it" on it.

bd007h
02-19-2006, 11:52 PM
the US version doesn't have Huck It on it. The European and Australian versions do.

Hux
02-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Why do only Europe and Australia have Huck It? Was that after it was released when they kind of re-released it as ilovellamas said?

Llamas
02-20-2006, 12:08 AM
yeah, my bad. I looked it up... the US version lacks Huck it... and if we want it imported, it costs $40... not worth it for one song :-/ And I don't kniow, I always thought the US saw album releases after the rest of the world... maybe it was a marketing scam- we got the advertisement that "buy the huck it video- it features an extra song not on the album!"

Hux
02-20-2006, 11:24 PM
ignition= ...it might've been regarding a more internal feeling.
I just noticed this :p . That sounds valid.

So we've said:

Ignition could be about an internal feeling (with the band/songs)

Ixnay On The Hombre means Down With The Man, just a nice name

Americana about America's lifestyle

Conspiracy Of One about one man's perceptions and thoughts about his life

Splinter meaning branching off into differen directions (songs)

All that's missing is Smash. Anyone know anything about Smash or wishing to comment on others?

Hux
02-20-2006, 11:51 PM
I was just thinking, if Ignition was name that because it meant, to release their energy, talent, themselves, maybe Smash means the same thing. Kind of like in the song, how they deal with their life. They do things their way and aren't afraid or don't mind showing their true selves. Maybe this is why they called it Smash.