PDA

View Full Version : The prophet Mohammed

Mucho Macho
02-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Do you guys think The Offspring should use the "Mohammed-issue" on their new album?
For example: putting him on the cover or making a song / lyrics about it?
Is it punk to do or does it go too far? :confused:
Your thoughts?

Grtzzz,

Mucho Macho

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-19-2006, 07:57 AM
Well I don't think any of the members are Mohammedese so probably not. But then again, they aren't African-American and they did L.A.P.D.

Little_Miss_1565
02-19-2006, 08:01 AM
What exactly is the "Mohammed-issue"?

This shit makes about as much sense as hating Jesus because of Pat Roberston and Jerry Falwell.

Mentally_Challenged
02-19-2006, 08:01 AM
Yes, but LAPD is just about the...well, about LAPD itself. And their lack of tollerance.

As for the "Mohammed-issue," it probably isn't a great idea. Muslims were protesting around London with signs like 'behead those who oppose Islam.' You wouldn't want them go threating your favourite band now would you?
But saying that, i'm not a very 'politically aware' sort of person.. So to be honest, that might not be right. But then again, it might.

What exactly is the "Mohammed-issue"?

Muslims started going crazy because a cartoon was produced in Denmark making a joke of some sort about Muhammed. That was about it =/

Dmarques
02-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Yes, but LAPD is just about the...well, about LAPD itself. And their lack of tollerance.

As for the "Mohammed-issue," it probably isn't a great idea. Muslims were protesting around London with signs like 'behead those who oppose Islam.' You wouldn't want them go threating your favourite band now would you?
But saying that, i'm not a very 'politically aware' sort of person.. So to be honest, that might not be right. But then again, it might.

Muslims started going crazy because a cartoon was produced in Denmark making a joke of some sort about Muhammed. That was about it =/

That's true! Just because a cartoon.

dirty_magic
02-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Mohammed is never ment to be pictured as an image so the cartoon of him with a bomb in his head scarf didnt go down too well!

igniton/pyro
02-19-2006, 08:32 AM
i got that cartoon
http://i1.tinypic.com/o57x1l.jpg
i relly dont see what all the fuzz is about :confused:

Dmarques
02-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Different Cultures...that's it.

Fspring
02-19-2006, 08:54 AM
It's more than that.... it's about religious manipulation by the state... because you see, those cartoons were published in november 2005, but the controversy has just started in the end of january, because that was the way they got to distract people over Iran's nuclear question, and that isa a very serious issue....

Back on topic, I don't think that'll be good for them to take advantage on the issue, because it's to complicated to know what the real impact would be....

And btw, it was not just one cartoon..... i think there were 12 or smtg like that

Drummerguy123
02-19-2006, 09:02 AM
i got that cartoon
http://i1.tinypic.com/o57x1l.jpg
i relly dont see what all the fuzz is about :confused:

BURN THE HEATHENS!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

Yeah, The offspring definately don't need to do anything of that sort. Maybe they could write a song criticizing their reaction, but not naming them specifically, just to avoid conflict. Much like how they did in the song Conspiracy of One.

Llamas
02-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Yes. There were quite a few cartoons made and distributed. The muslims were upset because Mohammad has never been drawn or reproduced or made to be visual because then he would seem to become some part of an Idol, which their religion is against. The fact that someone else drew him causes discrepencies: should white society respect and be more tolerant of Muslim society, or should Muslim society be more tolerant of freedom of speech? It goes both ways. Basically, I think that the white socieity should've done a little more research before they produced that shit and the Muslims had the right to get pissed, but the overreacted.

I do NOT think the offspring should use that cartoon on their album cover! Putting him on the cover would be a blatant disrespect and cut on an entire religion. I mean, if they are just plain downright against that religion (like bad religion putting crosses inside red x's), then they should do it. But if it's just a cover design, or just one song, or a minor detail, no way. It would have to be something they are very very strongly opinionated about, and they aren't.

As far as writing a song about it, they should write a song about whatever THEY want. If they feel strongly about this topic, then yes they should. They shouldn't, however, write a song about it just because it would be punk or some bullshit like that.

ShitMaster
02-19-2006, 03:16 PM
I live in the area where on small area we have all different cultures and religions. I'm not so religious but I belive in God (or nature if you want to call it that way).
First of all when I'm looking from "cool head" perspective, I would say that those images are little provocating in a way that someone will take advantage of that and make people to protest, like Bush.He will say that those are terrorists.He is wrong.In my country approx 2/5 of the people are muslims, and I must say, during this controversy noone of the real belivers protested.Just a few of politicaly motivated idiots (we all have our idiots).For a real believer, a muslim, although it is not allowed to draw or print images of the prophets, those images are not a threat, because a real believer will have strong faith and will not allow anyone to manipulate him.Because he believes in God, he doesn't believe in icons.OK?
Second of all, I saw that former junkies or drunks were "cured" by religion esp. islam.
Third of all, what you see in TV is what they want you to see.It is easy to manipulate big masses (dumb masses) esp. in big countries.Take Bush for example:When he says something, a half of America will support him.
Ok, but let's not be naive, what he's doing to Asian countries, is just about money, nothing more.But, to have clear path for his "deeds" he will say that they are terrorists.This all is about oil.
America has maybe a hundred, maybe more nuclear warheads, but when someone else tries to make it, that is terrorism.Ask your self:"what is wrong here?".

Superdope
02-20-2006, 05:15 AM
It's more than that.... it's about religious manipulation by the state... because you see, those cartoons were published in november 2005, but the controversy has just started in the end of january, because that was the way they got to distract people over Iran's nuclear question, and that isa a very serious issue....
And btw, it was not just one cartoon..... i think there were 12 or smtg like that

first off, what started it all was a delegation of danish imams travelling to the middle east spreading the word about these drawings. i believe it was about january as you say.only 12 drawings were printed in the newspaper, however the imams had 15 drawings with them. the last three was very provocating, one of them showing mohammed as a child molester and murderer, and the imams knew they were false. this also lead to the giant boycot of danish products in the middle east. the imams probably knew the middle eastern countries would react the way they did. now, showing false pictures, knowing they are false is just damn wrong, and the imams have a great responsibility in this crisis

pyromaniac
02-20-2006, 09:14 AM
I WOULDN'T DO IT, PROBABLY A BAD IDEA. :eek:

alistair13
02-20-2006, 09:22 AM
when a good portion of the world is going crazy about it, it's definitely a bad idea to introduce it again in the form of a cd.

Rutegard
02-20-2006, 09:35 AM
when a good portion of the world is going crazy about it, it's definitely a bad idea to introduce it again in the form of a cd.

eheh good point

and i don't want some radical guys to beat up the offspring...cause i don't wanna see the offspring in danger ya know what im saying?

F@ BANKZ
02-20-2006, 12:01 PM
I guess they could write a song abt it mayb but if i were them i would b careful of pictures or they could be the latest addition to Beheaded(best song on 1st album!!!! :cool: ). Also they hav quite a respectable reputation, if they go 2 far they could end up with endless media wasting them aswell as Muslims.

ShitMaster
02-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Small people are not important.All is about money.Everybody have their own goals,so don't be disturbed by all of the events.They are only distracting us from the more important things,believe me.Someone has taken advantage of the situation, and...
Yeah, also that idiot Bush said that whole world (I mean Asia) are terrorists, and he could do whatever he wanted.So I think if we don't want to get crazy, then we should stop talking about politics.If Offspring write a song about something similiar, we will be with them, and that is it!Let's enjoy!

Come out and smash'em up!
02-21-2006, 04:46 AM
The shops wouldn't sell it and record company would be against it. so no way. bad idea.