PDA

View Full Version : Should The Offspring be more political?

Mucho Macho
02-20-2006, 05:40 AM
In a previous thread I asked myself the question whether The Offspring should mention the prophet Mohammed on their upcoming album or not, now I go a bit further than that. Should The Offspring become more political, just like they were in the past with songs as "Tehran", "Kill The President" and "L.A.P.D."? I know they recently did something like that with "CO1" and "lightning Rod" (about the war in Iraq), but those songs are definately much more vague and less direct than L.A.P.D. for instance ("Beat all the niggers, beat whoever you see, don't need a reason, L.A.P.D."). And it's not that they don't care 'cause I saw Noodles wearing a shirt with "Bush, not my president" on it during Warped Tour. So why not making some serious songs about things that are going wrong at the moment instead of making silly songs such as "The Worst Hangover Ever" ("I'm never gonna drink again, at least not 'til next weekend"), "Da Hui" ("don't fuck with Da Hui or else Da Hui will fuck with you") or "When you're in prison" ("keep your back against the wall, do not bend at all")?

Your thoughts?

Bryan_AVA
02-20-2006, 05:43 AM
nah dude i dont think it would work out, AVA is already doing that.

Drum Goddess
02-20-2006, 05:44 AM
Nope .

Teemu
02-20-2006, 06:05 AM
i don't think that "lightning rod" is about the war in iraq.

and i don't like political songs, because it's a way to impose to other people your view, and i don't think that a band/lyric writer/song should impose a point of view to someone in a political way...i'd love to have some serious song on the next album, but not political songs...

Hypodermic_89
02-20-2006, 07:03 AM
In a previous thread I asked myself the question whether The Offspring should mention the prophet Mohammed on their upcoming album or not, now I go a bit further than that. Should The Offspring become more political, just like they were in the past with songs as "Tehran", "Kill The President" and "L.A.P.D."? I know they recently did something like that with "CO1" and "lightning Rod" (about the war in Iraq), but those songs are definately much more vague and less direct than L.A.P.D. for instance ("Beat all the niggers, beat whoever you see, don't need a reason, L.A.P.D."). And it's not that they don't care 'cause I saw Noodles wearing a shirt with "Bush, not my president" on it during Warped Tour. So why not making some serious songs about things that are going wrong at the moment instead of making silly songs such as "The Worst Hangover Ever" ("I'm never gonna drink again, at least not 'til next weekend"), "Da Hui" ("don't fuck with Da Hui or else Da Hui will fuck with you") or "When you're in prison" ("keep your back against the wall, do not bend at all")?

Your thoughts?

It depends on if The Offspring cares about the political situation in the world right now.

pyromaniac
02-20-2006, 07:20 AM
I think it would be a good idea

jacknife737
02-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Let them write songs about what they want to talk about, if its politics, fine by me, if not, also ok.

Jojan
02-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Not if they don't want to. But "hidden" political messeges is cool. Kinda' like they did in Americana.

anglepose
02-20-2006, 08:38 AM
if you ask me as long as the music rocks political statements are just a bi-product and should be left to politicians

punker
02-20-2006, 09:13 AM
that would be good, but just one or two

Rutegard
02-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Let them write songs about what they want to talk about, if its politics, fine by me, if not, also ok.

yeah just wait and see

Dex90
02-20-2006, 09:55 AM
a few political songs, but i also think the joke songs are good as long as there aren't too many..worst hangover ever and spare me the details are funny and melodically are awesome as well

rlplaymaker
02-20-2006, 11:54 AM
I hate when bands go political. I DONT FUCKING CARE about other peoples political views, so please dont sing about em. Just ask yourselves......DO YOU WANT THE OFFSPRING TO SOUND MORE LIKE GREEN DAY?????? ewwww

bouncingcoles
02-20-2006, 11:57 AM
i dont think they should be queer like greenday. but i think a political song or two on the new album would be great.

F@ BANKZ
02-20-2006, 12:04 PM
yeh politics can b good 4 1 or 2 songs per album (smash; it'll b a long time, and igntion; lapd) BUT DON'T OVER-DO IT or international trendy fans may b scared off.

That_Guy91
02-20-2006, 01:53 PM
I usually enjoy when bands have political songs, but if The Offspring does it now, everyone will start screaming "zomg, greenday ripoff!!!!11"

Llamas
02-20-2006, 03:38 PM
I hear enough political bands, and it gets old. Green Day, System of a Down, etc. SoaD is the only true political band that I really like... otherwise it gets boring. I like the subtle political stuff offspring does, like in some songs (co1 wasn't about the war in iraq- the song was released in 2000).

H1T_That
02-20-2006, 03:47 PM
rage against the machine were very political, zack de la roche left to go into politics

Llamas
02-20-2006, 03:51 PM
yeah them too... they needed to be, though, because zach was so politically minded. he wasn't just bitching about the government, he actually went to do something about it... totally different.

H1T_That
02-20-2006, 03:53 PM
you meen he wasnt all mouth.

ShitMaster
02-20-2006, 06:52 PM
No!
Whatever they want to do!

They should write about gay people, how we beat them! ;)

bd007h
02-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Krist Novoselic is now a politician, but he retired from the music industry

Camilamazed
02-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Mucho Macho said:
*So why not making some serious songs about things that are going wrong at the moment instead of making silly songs such as "The Worst Hangover Ever*

Cammie says: What makes you think that Offspring does not write serious songs?? What makes you think that The worst hangover ever is a silly song?

Come on, it's very serious and it talks about what really happens to teens. I was someone that got fucked because of booze just to seem cool to my friends. This song talks about exactly that. People who drink to death just to sound more cool and therefore suffer the consequences.

Jacknife, I totally agree with hat you said.

Jojan, Perfect point.

PS: People got pissed with Green day not because they wrote a political CD, If AI wasn't a pop thing people who generally complain would love it. You gotta admit that the CD is awesome. It's well written.

ShitMaster
02-20-2006, 07:20 PM
This is not Green Day forum.
Life consists from two sides:funny and serious, and that is what they are writing about.

jacknife737
02-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Jacknife, I totally agree with hat you said.

Thank You..

Llamas
02-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Okay. This is a side rant. No, this is not a green day forum. But making ONE COMMENT about green day in a post is NOT against the rules. I've noticed comments about queen, system of a down, angels and airwaves, avenged sevenfold, rancid, etc... Nobody should make threads about other bands, but god damn it, people can make comments about them! Cami was talking about the offspring, and making a comparison to green day! She wasn't making a post about GD! So people need to quit with the "never talk about green day in this forum" bull shit.

Hux
02-20-2006, 10:21 PM
They make many political songs which is great, but to take action...I don't know. It depends what they would do.

Hux
02-20-2006, 10:23 PM
Okay. This is a side rant. No, this is not a green day forum. But making ONE COMMENT about green day in a post is NOT against the rules. I've noticed comments about queen, system of a down, angels and airwaves, avenged sevenfold, rancid, etc... Nobody should make threads about other bands, but god damn it, people can make comments about them! Cami was talking about the offspring, and making a comparison to green day! She wasn't making a post about GD! So people need to quit with the "never talk about green day in this forum" bull shit.
True. As long as it doesn't continue for a bit and is about The Offspring as well, or in comparison...

mrconeman
02-21-2006, 05:46 AM
A political song would be a great idea as long as they didnt do it too preacy pushing their own veiws on everyone or anything like that.
One or two moderatly done political songs on an album could really help shape it some.

German Andres
02-21-2006, 03:48 PM
It is up to The Offspring

ShitMaster
02-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Hehehe, sorry!No, you should make a comparison between something if you wanna make a point!I just posted that because someone on this forum is always shitting about posts which contain Green day.
Keep going! :D