PDA

View Full Version : New AFI is soo close.....they have a promo photo.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-20-2006, 08:24 AM
Bands usually don't do photoshoots until their album is completed, right? On his blog, Jade said they were doing back to back photoshoots for two days straight last week. And I think they're redoing their site, because all of the news from it has been wiped completely. Anyway, on their myspace, AFI has posted a new pic and the caption says "Hello. We're back." Here it is:

http://myspace-718.vo.llnwd.net/00508/81/70/508950718_l.jpg

Possibly some news on a title, tracklisting, release date, or a single within the next month? I hope so.

JohnnyNemesis
02-20-2006, 08:32 AM
"Hello. We're back."

"And we look compleeeeeeetely fucking ridiculous."

Goddamn, I wish my favorite bands weren't all so pathetic.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-20-2006, 08:39 AM
I like Davey's new haircut. It's almost like AOD era, but not. I didn't like it too much when it was all long because he looked like he couldn't maintain it. Adam and Hunter are just kinda there. Jade needs his Johnny Bravo esque hair back. Either way, I've seen hundreds of other bands look 1,000,000 times more ridiculous.

Lars
02-20-2006, 08:41 AM
PR work starts months before a release.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-20-2006, 08:46 AM
I know it's not coming out for a few months, but when they themselves are finished recording and mixing and all that, they do photoshoots right? To promote it before it comes out? Records are completed months before release. It's not like they complete it and release it the next day. They have to promote it.

Endymion
02-20-2006, 08:47 AM
wait, did you just do commentary about a band's hair in a promo shot? does this board redirect to e! online now?

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-20-2006, 09:00 AM
No. I was just giving a response to Johnny Nemesis. It's the function of a message board. Responding to other people.

Drum Goddess
02-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Bands usually don't do photoshoots until their album is completed, right? On his blog, Jade said they were doing back to back photoshoots for two days straight last week. And I think they're redoing their site, because all of the news from it has been wiped completely. Anyway, on their myspace, AFI has posted a new pic and the caption says "Hello. We're back." Here it is:

Possibly some news on a title, tracklisting, release date, or a single within the next month? I hope so.
Davey's new hair is pretty.

notoriousdoc
02-20-2006, 09:09 AM
The Misfits and The Misfits ONLY wore devilocks well

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-20-2006, 09:15 AM
His new hair isn't even a devil lock. Devil locks curl a bit and go down the middle. Davey's hair is just long in the front and short in the back. He used to have a devil lock, but this ain't it.

Apathy
02-20-2006, 03:36 PM
New CD is April to May-ish, possibly later.

They have 80 tracks recorded, 14 will be on the album.

Title tba.

H1T_That
02-20-2006, 03:56 PM

Title tba.

where you find that out?

80, wow!

davey, davey, davey, what the fuck have you done with your hair.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-20-2006, 07:16 PM

Title tba.

They wrote 80-100 songs, not recorded. They recorded 14. 12 of which will be on the new album. Davey said early summer at the latest, but if they're doing promo pictures now, I can see a possible single next month followed by a late April or May release. Early June is the latest I expect this album to be released.

GreenTerror
02-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Oh my goodness. I'm lovin Davey's new hair. He looks like 10 times sexier, and not as girlie. :p

JohnnyNemesis
02-21-2006, 07:28 AM
He looks like 10 times sexier, and not as girlie. :p

Wait, you're joking about that bolded part, right?

Right?!

Vera
02-21-2006, 07:32 AM
AFI may look ridiculous & even sometimes sound ridiculous but I love them despite.

Little_Miss_1565
02-21-2006, 08:55 AM
omg that gives me the hugestest b0n0rz.

I'm an English major, and I specialize in gothic melodrama. I think that's why I love AFI so much. :)

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-21-2006, 10:16 AM
I'd say, if anything, the new do makes him look younger.

Vera
02-21-2006, 12:30 PM
I still want to hump Adam.

HeadAroundU
02-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Kick ass pic! <3
It's my wallpaper.

coke_a_holic
02-21-2006, 03:20 PM
I wonder how much shit I'm going to get from my emo-hating friends when they find out I love a band that dresses the exact same way I make fun of daily? Meh, either way, AFI is rawks.

JohnnyNemesis
02-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Yeah. I can always say I liked them long before they looked like superfags, back when they looked like regular fags in '96-'97.

Meh, lots of my favorite bands look like complete idiots. It's all good I guess.

H1T_That
02-21-2006, 04:04 PM
the good old black sails in the sunset days. ahh

JohnnyNemesis
02-21-2006, 04:38 PM
I was thinkin' more the "Very Proud Of Ya" and "Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes" days.

H1T_That
02-21-2006, 04:39 PM
I was thinkin' more the "Very Proud Of Ya" and "Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes" days.

i have only heard 'very proud of ya' once or twice a loong time ago, but yeh, 'shut your mouth and open your eyes is excellent'

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-21-2006, 05:17 PM
I heard their new album is supposed to have some "Shut Your Mouth And Open Your Eyes" leanings. Just a few though.

JohnnyNemesis
02-21-2006, 05:21 PM
I hope not. Though it has some of my favorite songs, that one might be my least favorite album of theirs. They were just so obviously in this weird transitional phase, where some songs not only sounded like crap, they sounded like incomplete crap.

Still, "Three Reasons", "A Single Second", "Salt For Your Wounds" and especially "The New Patron Saints and Angels" were great tracks. Amazing, even.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Well the whole album isn't supposed to be like that. They just said that there were going to be some relatively hardcore moments on it. Throwdown, Day Of Contempt, Bleeding Through and 18 Visions apparently did backing vocals on the album, so they'll probably be on the heavier songs. Ronan from VNV Nation did some "additional programming" on the album, so a bit of it will be electronically influenced as well. Either way, whatever it sounds like, I'm sure it's something I'll end up liking. I've liked all of their albums thus far. Though I'm not too crazy about the bands doing backing vocals, I don't think it'll ruin the record for me. Throwdown and *some* Bleeding Through are okay. Day Of Contempt, meh. I hate 18V though.

All About Eve
02-21-2006, 06:11 PM
I like A Single Second. And that's about it. Sing the Sorrow >>>>>> all other AFI as far as I'm concerned. No, it's not tru punx, but oh well.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-21-2006, 06:25 PM
I like all AFI, but in my opinion, I think they keep getting better with each release. We'll see if this new record can top STS.

All About Eve
02-21-2006, 06:27 PM
If they have Shut Your Mouth leanings, then no.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Well, it wouldn't be exactly like Shut Your Mouth, most of it'll be completely different. They said there would only be a few heavy songs here and there. By now, Davey's voice has gotten alot better than what he used to sound like. He can scream better than he used to. So the Shut Your Mouth leanings would be probably be like what Shut Your Mouth should have been.

All About Eve
02-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Yeah, but I don't like their heavy songs very much. Death of Season was my least favorite on StS because of the vocals.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Yeah it's all a matter of preference I guess. I like both the melodic stuff and the heavier stuff equally. Which I think there will be a good amount of both on the new record.

Little_Miss_1565
02-21-2006, 09:23 PM
My worry is that they're going to try to turn into VNV Nation or some shit...fucking "Death of Seasons." Put down the drum machine and back away slowly!

JohnnyNemesis
02-21-2006, 09:26 PM
dfhjlgf.khflhf;fjg; Everyone needs to get over that like, 5 seconds where they sounded different in Death of Seasons. That song is fucking amazing/I wanna slice the next complainer with a switchblade/I still love you, FifteenSixtyFive.

T-6005
02-21-2006, 10:20 PM
dfhjlgf.khflhf;fjg; Everyone needs to get over that like, 5 seconds where they sounded different in Death of Seasons. That song is fucking amazing/I wanna slice the next complainer with a switchblade/I still love you, FifteenSixtyFive.
You're very switchbladey today.

Little_Miss_1565
02-21-2006, 10:30 PM

a) Knowing that Davey is a big VNV Nation fan and b) knowing that there are a few songs on each AFI album that point to the direction the band will go on the next album makes me c) scared that they will try to go industrial. So d) blow me, and e) I love you too.

endlesst0m
02-21-2006, 11:08 PM
The Art Of Drowning sounded unlike any other Afi album before. I wasn't tired of that sound. They didn't need to change.

JohnnyNemesis
02-21-2006, 11:11 PM
The Art of Drowning, though it does stand strong as an album independent of any other, didn't sound like a huge leap away from Black Sails in the Sunset. A leap, yes, but not a huge one.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-21-2006, 11:21 PM
The Art of Drowning, though it does stand strong as an album independent of any other, didn't sound like a huge leap away from Black Sails in the Sunset. A leap, yes, but not a huge one.

Agreed.

And 1565, I wouldn't worry about that. If they were to go industrial, they'd probably give up Hunter and Adam, considering those two members could easily be replaced by synths and such, and I don't think they'd do that. They've already said that they are not going to become an industrial band. I think people had this fear when Shut Your Mouth and Black Sails came out, people thought they would be going "metal" but they never did. So just because the new album will have some electronic stuff doesn't mean that it will be what they become entirely.

Vera
02-22-2006, 02:48 AM
Johnny, you'll hate me when I tell you I totally skip Death of Seasons whenever I listen to STS. I'm sorry, it's not about my techno hate, I don't have a techno hate, I just don't think it works with the track.

I have a reasonable amount of faith in AFI currently. We'll see.

Beheaded
02-22-2006, 04:13 AM
Bands usually don't do photoshoots until their

Davey looks like the leadsinger of Tokio Hotel. :o Just kidding....

Little_Miss_1565
02-22-2006, 06:42 AM
They've already said that they are not going to become an industrial band. I think people had this fear when Shut Your Mouth and Black Sails came out, people thought they would be going "metal" but they never did. So just because the new album will have some electronic stuff doesn't mean that it will be what they become entirely.

However, industrial is a lot different from metal....the drum machine sounded great on "The Despair Factor," it really added to the track and to their general sound already, but I swear t'god, if there is a balls-out industrial track on this next album that sucks, all y'all motherfuckers best remember me. ;)

Johnny, you'll hate me when I tell you I totally skip Death of Seasons whenever I listen to STS. I'm sorry, it's not about my techno hate, I don't have a techno hate, I just don't think it works with the track.

Fucking word. It comes out of nowhere and makes no sense to anything around it.

SuperKnux
02-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Oh, snap. Their coming back! : D

I can't wait for the new record.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-22-2006, 10:16 PM
However, industrial is a lot different from metal....the drum machine sounded great on "The Despair Factor," it really added to the track and to their general sound already, but I swear t'god, if there is a balls-out industrial track on this next album that sucks, all y'all motherfuckers best remember me.

I don't think there'd be songs on it where it's just industrial. I don't know, though. I heard the VNV Nation guy did additional programming on two tracks, so I guess we'll see whether or not it flows with the song or if it just appears randomly for the sake of appearing like in Death Of Seasons. I'm not too worried about this for some reason, though. Sure they always put something out that's almost completely different than the recorded that preceded it, but I've always been satisfied with what they've released so far. I'm confident that I'll probably end up liking their new album as well.