PDA

View Full Version : So Dexter's got Nitro...

GreenTerror
02-22-2006, 02:28 AM
Why isn't Offspring on Nitro? I mean, I understand they are a bigger, more mainstream kinda band and probably too big for an Indie label... Dammit... Well, I guess I just answered my own question there.

Besides that, I've noticed that the label itself has been growing and is becoming more known, and it's good to see Dexter helping smaller bands out, promoting them, and supporting them. Dexter is just an awesoem guy like that. And no, I'm not kissing ass, so you can just shut the fuck up before you say it.

Your thoughts?

Talman
02-22-2006, 02:47 AM
They're still under contract with columbia.

Lithuanian Offspring
02-22-2006, 03:15 AM
I think when their contract runs up they're gonna go on to Nitro. Nitro will probably be big enough by then.

Llamas
02-22-2006, 03:44 AM
I hope they stay together after their contract with columbia is up :-/

Venom Symbiote
02-22-2006, 04:02 AM
Um, wasn't the Greatest Hits the last album on the original Columbia contract? I think their obligations with Sony are finished now.

That being said, they'll probably sign up again, if Columbia will have them. They may have signed a new agreement since that original one in '95/'96.

Llamas
02-22-2006, 04:50 AM
no, GH was numero 5 on thier contract. All signs point to them being on a 6 album contract.

icklebabygremlin
02-22-2006, 06:35 AM
I think when their contract runs up they're gonna go on to Nitro. Nitro will probably be big enough by then.
I was gonna say that but i think offspring being on nitro will make the label bigger

Little_Miss_1565
02-22-2006, 06:39 AM
If AFI was too big to stay on Nitro, something tells me that the Offspring might be too big.

0r4ng3
02-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Shit, even The Vandals were too big to stay on Nitro.

Well, not really. I'm guessing Kung Fu Records isn't that much bigger than Nitro.

jacknife737
02-22-2006, 10:24 AM
I think they'll stay with their current lable.

Nounou
02-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Dammit... Well, I guess I just answered my own question there

That's right guy :D :)

So that obvious that Offspring's too big for a label as little as nitro well I think they needed to sign on Columbia to be able to play all over the world and then they still need'em ... that's sad but true :p

endlesst0m
02-22-2006, 10:35 AM
If AFI was too big to stay on Nitro, something tells me that the Offspring might be too big.

i'm not saying that's not true, it probably is, but why would Afi be "too big". I'm sure Nitro has enough to realease the amount of records that Afi needs....

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-22-2006, 10:46 AM
It was Dexter's idea for AFI to go to a major label. AFI just assumed they'd be putting STS out on Nitro and Nitro alone. Dexter saw that they were getting bigger and becoming more evolved since they first signed and told them that they should go to a major. He saw them getting bigger and knew he couldn't keep them to himself anymore.

endlesst0m
02-22-2006, 10:48 AM
It was Dexter's idea for AFI to go to a major label. AFI just assumed they'd be putting STS out on Nitro and Nitro alone. Dexter saw that they were getting bigger and becoming more evolved since they first signed and told them that they should go to a major. He saw them getting bigger and knew he couldn't keep them to himself anymore.

really? i always thought that Dexter wanted Afi to release Sing the Sorrow on Nitro, but they didn't want to, and that's why Dexter released that "greatest hits" thing for Afi...you know, the one Afi said they didn't want to release.

angelus-sebas
02-22-2006, 10:50 AM
yes that's right... the're meking records with columbia for the moment...maybe in the future nitro will grow up... and offspring willcontinue whith them

endlesst0m
02-22-2006, 10:52 AM
yes that's right... the're meking records with columbia for the moment...maybe in the future nitro will grow up... and offspring willcontinue whith them

i don't want nitro to grow up. it's fine where it is.it's cool to sign bands that need a little help making it. labels like columbia only sign bands that they think they'll DEFINATLY make money off of.

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-22-2006, 11:45 AM

preach it papa titus :D

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-22-2006, 11:54 AM
really? i always thought that Dexter wanted Afi to release Sing the Sorrow on Nitro, but they didn't want to, and that's why Dexter released that "greatest hits" thing for Afi...you know, the one Afi said they didn't want to release.

Nope. I think the idea for releasing the retrospective was after STS got some success, Dexter wanted to expose new fans to their Nitro years. AFI didn't want it released because they just wanted to focus on making new stuff and felt it was too early to be releasing a compilation like that. Dexter just kind of did it without asking them, AFI didn't know about it until it was released. It was a good financial decision on Dexter's part I guess, since STS had become a successful record to put out something like that, but he probably should have asked AFI before releasing it.

Retard
02-22-2006, 02:12 PM
not to sound like some doosh bag but how can u be too big for a lable?

i think that itd be awsome for Offspring to be on Nitro, because it will get nitro up there with Epitaph, hellcat, and Fat. Offspring being on Nitro would be the best thing going for them.... they wouldnt have dooshbag record execs pushing for a new cd, making them put "radio friendly" songs on their albums, and theyd be able to make the album that THEY want to make. not the record companys.... granted i think that would probably be the funniest record meeting ever....

Nitro Dexter: guys this album of yours, i dont know
Band Dexter: whats so bad about it?
ND: well its not what we really wanted
BD: what do u mean not what u wanted?
ND: a whole album of Big Band redo's of your older songs? u sounding like dean martin almost? I'm not buying it.
BD: well we're not changin it man, this is our art, not yours!

Lars
02-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Shit, even The Vandals were too big to stay on Nitro.

Well, not really. I'm guessing Kung Fu Records isn't that much bigger than Nitro.
Isn't Kung Fu owned by someone from the Vandals? Or is that some other band?

So that obvious that Offspring's too big for a label as little as nitro well I think they needed to sign on Columbia to be able to play all over the world and then they still need'em ... that's sad but true :p
To an extent this can be true. Large lebels do give you the advances which equate to making large scale world touring much easier for a band. Though who knows what their (Offspring's) financial situation is if they'd need a major labels backing for such a thing.

As for the AFI thing. It's a mixed bag... First heard the story/side of Dexter saying they should go and then later on they (AFI) said they decided they should leave.

Apathy
02-22-2006, 02:35 PM
The greatest hits was the last in the offsprings contract with columbia. Then the offspring signed on for two more with columbia. Sounds to me if they were going to switch to Nitro, they would have done it then.

I don't think Nitro would have any trouble with a big band like the Offspring.. it would help them if anything. I'm not sure why Dex doesn't want to be on his own label. Too much work maybe.

Little_Miss_1565
02-22-2006, 02:39 PM
not to sound like some doosh bag but how can u be too big for a lable?

Labels do an ungodly amount of work for each artist and each release. They handle interview requests, duplication of the albums, promotion, marketing, tour financing...all of these things cost thousands upon thousands of dollars.

Nitro is a small label, meaning it has a small staff. Putting a multi-platinum artist in the hands of just a few people would be an unbelievable strain to them, and cause the other artists on the label to suffer because the label wouldn't be able to pay attention to them. Resources are finite.

noodle654
02-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Take a look at Epitaph....Bad Religion, From First To Last, Pennywise, and other bands. They are pretty popular, Epitaph isnt that good as it used to be. I think around 2000 it started going downhill. :cool:

killboypwrheadjx
02-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Take a look at Epitaph....Bad Religion, From First To Last, Pennywise, and other bands. They are pretty popular, Epitaph isnt that good as it used to be. I think around 2000 it started going downhill. :cool:
is ANYTHING in the offspring world as good as it used to be?

Ninty Man
02-22-2006, 09:10 PM
is ANYTHING in the offspring world as good as it used to be?

Yep, the band itself (dont talk about Welty)

Kitten
02-22-2006, 10:36 PM
I was gonna say that but i think offspring being on nitro will make the label bigger

The Offspring on Nitro might make it bigger, but I get the impression Dexter wants to keep them seperate for other reasons.

WebDudette
02-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Nitro more then likely doesn't have the resources to support The Offspring. They probably spend millions of dollars on touring and on albums that Nitro just doesn't have.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-22-2006, 10:51 PM
As for the AFI thing. It's a mixed bag... First heard the story/side of Dexter saying they should go and then later on they (AFI) said they decided they should leave.

.....but AFI said it was Dexter's idea too. Sure it was up to them to ultimately decide to go to a major, but the thought didn't cross their minds until Dexter pitched the idea to them.

GreenTerror
02-23-2006, 12:49 AM

Are you blind? I'm a chick, dude.
Don't mean to be bitchy, but just thought I'd point that out.

I seriously think AFI would have been just fine doing STS under Nitro.

As for Offspring being on Nitro, yeah I completely forgot that they had a contract with Sony. Maybe Dexter doesn't want to sign Offspring to Nitro because he wants to keep the lable small and bringing a band as successful and big as them would blow up it all huge and make things complicated.

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Isn't Kung Fu owned by someone from the Vandals? Or is that some other band?

Yes, Kung Fu was started by Warren Fitzgerald and Joe Escalante, though Joe primarily runs it now.

And yes, the Vandals are on their own label, but they aren't in the same situation as the Offspring. A band that has sold over 32 million records worldwide would be very hard to manage on a small label such as Nitro. Though the Vandals are pretty popular for a punk band, they don't have the same widespread mainstream success that the Offspring has, thus they have less crap to deal with.

Llamas
02-23-2006, 01:07 AM
I disagree about everything with popular bands being too big for small labels. Don't kill me for making this analogy- if you don't want to read it, skip over my post. But do you remember the pop band, Hanson? In 1997, they were on Mercury records to release that mmmbop shit. They were absolutely HUGE and made millions and sold so many records. In 2000, they released an album in Island records. That album didn't do as well as the mmmbop one, but it did very very well. Obviously, Hanson was/is a huge band that makes tons... in 2002, they left Island and signed to their own label (3 car garage records). This is an indie label they created and have run since 1999, I believe. You might argue that the band isn't nearly as famous as they were in 1997 (which is because they got older, wrote mature music, and dropped the shitty annoying boy band sound and picked up a different awesome sound), but the offspring isn't that famous anymore, either. I went to a hanson concert in November, and it was packed beyond belief... I guess my point is that if a band that hit it as big as Hanson did can go from major labels to being an indie band, Offspring can do it. Plus, Nitro records is much more successful and big than 3 car garage records.

PS: I'm sure all of you make the association of Hanson to "mmmbop"... I don't care if you like them, but don't associate them with that shit... they wrote that shit when they were 12, which was almost a decade ago... completely different band now...

Little_Miss_1565
02-23-2006, 07:42 AM
But the key difference there is, they CREATED THEIR OWN LABEL JUST FOR THEM.

Nitro has a good-sized roster of awesome bands. Having a multi-platinum band on there would eat up all the resources for the other bands.

Lars
02-23-2006, 08:00 AM
.....but AFI said it was Dexter's idea too. Sure it was up to them to ultimately decide to go to a major, but the thought didn't cross their minds until Dexter pitched the idea to them.
Originally they did, yes. But later on in some interviews and such, they said they decided to. It's probably a pr problem, they like to spin stuff around so it's practically not the truth anymore at times.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-23-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally they did, yes. But later on in some interviews and such, they said they decided to. It's probably a pr problem, they like to spin stuff around so it's practically not the truth anymore at times.

Did they completely disregard the whole Dexter idea and the assumption of STS being released on Nitro and just say that they wanted to get out of there and it was all their idea? Or did they just say that they decided to leave?

If they just said the latter, then yeah that's true, because Dexter gave them an option.

But yeah, it could be a pr problem. They fuck up discographies sometimes. One article I read said Very Proud Of Ya was their first album, and Black Sails was released in 1998.

Kitten
02-23-2006, 01:00 PM
From what I understood, Dexter pitched them the idea of them moving on and upward, but they rejected it at the time. However, I am guessing that they were approached by Dreamworks later on and decided to leave. They still owed Nitro at least one more record (which is why STS is released by both Nitro and Dreamworks in some cases),.

Dmarques
02-23-2006, 01:12 PM
They have a contract with Columbia...

GreenTerror
02-23-2006, 08:15 PM
From what I understood, Dexter pitched them the idea of them moving on and upward, but they rejected it at the time. However, I am guessing that they were approached by Dreamworks later on and decided to leave. They still owed Nitro at least one more record (which is why STS is released by both Nitro and Dreamworks in some cases),.
Woah, so that means that Nitro took part of the credit from STS? I didn't know they could even do that.

That_Guy91
02-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Woah, so that means that Nitro took part of the credit from STS? I didn't know they could even do that.
It's kinda like how Epitaph got partial credit for Ixnay.

Kitten
02-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Over here it is labeled both Nitro and Dreamworks. As for Ixnay, wasn't it Epitaph Europe that got that album, as per the agreement?
I would personally like to see more interest in Nitro Nation. Something to support and promote some of the great Nitro bands.

That_Guy91
02-23-2006, 11:46 PM
As for Ixnay, wasn't it Epitaph Europe that got that album, as per the agreement?
Yeah, that's what I meant.