PDA

View Full Version : Race against Myself is a deep song

Ferret
02-22-2006, 03:31 PM
something about the effects, guitar line and lyrics of this song really touches me... I love really hard fast Punk rock as much as anyone, but this song is really quite a beautiful song... I think its cause it sorta sums um everything that's happening in my life right now... Anyone else agree?

Ixnay 09
02-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Yeah I agree, RAM it's a great song, one of my favourites :cool:

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-22-2006, 05:17 PM
It is a great song. And it can touch anyone in a depressive or somewhat along those lines in anyones life.

noodle654
02-22-2006, 05:21 PM
such an amazing song, the guitar is killer in this song, the drums are perfect.

Hux
02-22-2006, 07:30 PM
something about the effects, guitar line and lyrics of this song really touches me... I love really hard fast Punk rock as much as anyone, but this song is really quite a beautiful song
I agree. That is my favourite song on Splinter and is definately one of my top favourites.

Original prankstA
02-22-2006, 07:44 PM
i heart RAM it and denial, revisited are two of their best slow songs that have deep meaning and many people can relate to

(no i didn't forget about gone away it's just that it's a very popular song that EVERYBODY can relate to)

Hux
02-22-2006, 07:51 PM
i heart RAM it and denial, revisited are two of their best slow songs that have deep meaning and many people can relate to

(no i didn't forget about gone away it's just that it's a very popular song that EVERYBODY can relate to)
I can't relate to Denial, Revisited but I love that song as well. All their slow songs are great with a deep meaning.

Ninty Man
02-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Everybody will kick my ass, but

I HATE THIS SONG...

It's too... bad... and the vocals are too... no, I can't with this song, and Da Hui

Original prankstA
02-22-2006, 08:05 PM
no, I can't with this song, and Da Hui
can't what?

Ninty Man
02-22-2006, 08:11 PM
can't what?

can't listen it... I prefer skip it

ruroken
02-22-2006, 08:19 PM
...Are you serious? ppfffttt HAHAHAHAHAHA

Manic subsidal
02-22-2006, 08:21 PM
He can't jerk off to the song, it's just too slow for him and da hui is waaaayy too fast and hard.

Ninty Man
02-22-2006, 08:35 PM
He can't jerk off to the song, it's just too slow for him and da hui is waaaayy too fast and hard.

Nop, Race Against Myself it's just too... NOT THE OFFSPRING WAY... in fact, Dexter sounds too weird

And Da Hui, men, sucks forever and ever... with that smart letter :rolleyes:

Hypodermic_89
02-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Race Against Myself is one of my favorite Offspring songs. If I wanna hear a song with a slower tempo, RAM is my first choice.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-22-2006, 11:38 PM
I think it's one of the few good songs on Splinter.

Dmarques
02-23-2006, 03:37 AM
Race Against myself is one of my favorite songs!!

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-23-2006, 04:23 AM
Race Against myself is one of my favorite songs!!

Same here.

georgie/dexter
03-10-2006, 06:16 AM
not one of my favourit songs but it is one of the best off splinter ( besides lightning rod )

noodlesisalliwant
03-10-2006, 09:16 AM
I love that song, it just has such a deep meaning that i can relate to in some ways, its just one of those songs i sing along to when i've had a bad day or something and is definitely, along with never gonna find me and lightning rod, one of the best songs on splinter.

Llamas
03-10-2006, 10:25 AM
not one of my favourit songs but it is one of the best off splinter ( besides lightning rod )

my thoughts exactly.

Camilamazed
03-10-2006, 12:13 PM
RAM is deep as well as Amazed is.

Screamer1
03-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Race Against Myself is one of the Offspring's best works to date, perfect riff to convey the emotion, but not emo it up, vocals are amazing here, and it sends a message out to people.. . . . . . its a great song to lift your spirits, despite its seemingly down mood.

offspring_freak_3
03-10-2006, 01:05 PM
i second that. ram is a great, great song.

Ninty Man
03-10-2006, 06:31 PM
I still dont like it, but it's a good song... put it next to...MMM ah, nothing, just don't like it

Drummerguy123
03-10-2006, 09:06 PM
It is one of those songs that makes me confused as to why people hate Splinter.

yay
03-10-2006, 09:25 PM
It is one of those songs that makes me confused as to why people hate Splinter.When I first got Splinter it was my favourite song off the album. It was one of the only ones I liked. Now it is mediocre.

Jakebert
03-10-2006, 09:26 PM
I'd put Race Against Myself very high on the list of the band's worst songs myself.

If you turn on any "new, alternative" rock station, you're going to hear about 15 songs that sound a hell of a lot like Race Against Myself, with that mid-tempo, hard rock sound with shiny production. It's just so boring, especially on an album that goes so quickly from some of their best work to some of their worst.

minority
03-11-2006, 12:23 PM
It's just amazing song. It's getting better and better every time I heard it.

DeAtHsTaR
03-11-2006, 12:36 PM
I like it. But I wouldn't want a whole album full of songs like it and Defy You, because they would be considered alternative metal. Those songs are too close to something Staind would make.

Bryan_AVA
03-11-2006, 03:06 PM
RAM is in my Offspring Top 5. I like the lyrics: "I'm loosing a race against myself" I also love Gone Away: "Heaven Is So Far Away", Amazed:"And if i'd make it i'd be amazed, just to find tomorrow"

German Andres
03-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Exellent song, any doubts of it. It is a great song, one of the best from Splinter. However, The Noose and Never Gonna Find Me are the best in my opinion. :D

XYlophonetreeZ
03-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Deep? Are you kidding? Please. The whole "I-have-to-beat-myself" theme is so played out in rock. There's nothing original or "deep" at all about lyrics that assert one's duality (as if it were something original), and talk about "me" in the first person as two different people. By the way, I liked it better the first time the Offspring did that, in Gotta Get Away.

The entire song is a laughable "NO MORE HOPE FOR BETTER DAYS :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:" level of crying about one's own inadequacy. The entire song is just an extended version of "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn't even matter" (*insert emo/wrist-cutting joke here).

I agree with Jakebert. One of the Offspring's worst songs ever, and absolutely their least distinct song ever. Take away Dexter's voice, and I would have no idea that this song was the Offspring. I couldn't even guess, because it sounds like so much of the crappy rock on the radio these days.

FOXMAN
03-11-2006, 04:37 PM
I believe it's an awesome song! It has very good melody,it's not fast but it's very powerful. But everyone has his own opinion.

Jakebert
03-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Deep? Are you kidding? Please. The whole "I-have-to-beat-myself" theme is so played out in rock. There's nothing original or "deep" at all about lyrics that assert one's duality (as if it were something original), and talk about "me" in the first person as two different people. By the way, I liked it better the first time the Offspring did that, in Gotta Get Away.

The entire song is a laughable "NO MORE HOPE FOR BETTER DAYS :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:" level of crying about one's own inadequacy. The entire song is just an extended version of "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn't even matter" (*insert emo/wrist-cutting joke here).

I didn't even think about the lyrics, but you're right on that point. I wouldn't be surprised if the line "I don't want to be what you want me to be" showed up in there. I mean, the Offspring's lyrics aren't usually anything amazing, but I don't think they've lyrically written anything that bad. Even Pretty Fly, as bad as it was, was original for the most part in it's lyrics instead of repeating tired cliches.

Drummerguy123
03-11-2006, 07:30 PM
I didn't even think about the lyrics, but you're right on that point. I wouldn't be surprised if the line "I don't want to be what you want me to be" showed up in there. I mean, the Offspring's lyrics aren't usually anything amazing, but I don't think they've lyrically written anything that bad. Even Pretty Fly, as bad as it was, was original for the most part in it's lyrics instead of repeating tired cliches.

Holy shit. You don't thnik The Offspring write powerful lyrics but you think Green Day does. You are officially on my ignore list because you are probably just as dumb, quite possibly dumber, than both Yay and Ruroken combined. Please die.