PDA

View Full Version : Help with French Please!

WebDudette
02-22-2006, 09:50 PM
J'ai une grande famille. J'ai cinq grand-pères deux grands-pères et trois grands-mères. J'ai également un frère, deux soeurs quatre oncles, trois tantes, beaucoup de cousins et quatre neveux. Ma soeur a quatre garçons qu'ils ont douze ans, huit, trois et moins d'puis un an vieux. Mes soeurs et frère sont demi nous ont des pères de seperate. Je ne vois pas que mes oncles et tantes souvent ils vivent loin loin. Je vis avec ma maman et mon papa ma maman a 52 ans et mon papa a 53 ans. Mes grand-pères de phase dans Nébraska je ne les vois pas beaucoup. J'ai une grande famille. J'ai cinq grand-pères. J'ai également un frère, deux soeurs quatre oncles, trois tantes, beaucoup de cousins et quatre neveux.

Can someone tell me what that says. I typed it in English then converted it with babelfish and I wanted to make sure it was remotely correct before turning it into my teacher.(Yeah I know it's a stupid paragraph but thats what she wanted us to do.)

It's suppose to be this.

I have a big family. I have five grandparents two grandfathers and three grandmothers. I also have a brother, two sisters, four uncles, three aunts, many cousins and four nephews. My sister has four boys they are twelve , eight, three and less then one year old. My sisters and brother are half we have seperate fathers. I do not see my uncles and aunts often they live far away. I live with my mom and my dad my mom is 52 years old and my dad is 53 years old. My grandparents live in Nébraska I do not see them much. I have a big family. I have five grandparents. I also have a brother, two sisters four uncles, three aunts, many cousins and four nephews.

T-6005
02-22-2006, 09:55 PM
J'ai une grande famille. J'ai cinq grand-parents, deux grands-pères, et trois grands-mères. J'ai également un frère, deux soeurs, quatre oncles, trois tantes, beaucoup de cousins, et quatre neveux. Ma soeur a quatre garçons. Ils ont douze ans, huit, trois et moins d'un an. Mes soeurs et frère sont des demi-frères et demi-soeurs. Nous avons des papa different. Je ne vois pas mes oncles et tantes souvent, car ils vivent loin. Je vis avec ma maman et mon papa ma maman a 52 ans et mon papa a 53 ans. Mes grand-parents vivent au Nébraska. Je ne les vois pas beaucoup. J'ai une grande famille.
I think this might be about right. You repeated yourself near the end so I took that out.

Homer
02-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Well, I've got one question for you. Do you actually speak some french? There's quite a bit of parts that don't make entire sense, but make a little bit. Another thing that helps with the errors is the grammar in the english paragraph. What you need to do is first fix the gramatical errors in the english paragraph (such as these ones: My sisters and brother are half, we have seperate fathers. I do not see my uncles and aunts often because they live far away.)

The if you need to translate it, I recomend using this site: http://translation2.paralink.com/

My friends and I tested that site out against other, and that was the best we found.

EDIT: I asked the speaking french question because direct translations don't work that great, and if you can, then you can just correct little errors that you know are wrong. But, if you don't, just use the site I gave you, it's good.

WebDudette
02-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks. I could always actually right it using notes and the books but who has the time/motivation for that.

WebDudette
02-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Well, I've got one question for you. Do you actually speak some french? There's quite a bit of parts that don't make entire sense, but make a little bit. Another thing that helps with the errors is the grammar in the english paragraph. What you need to do is first fix the gramatical errors in the english paragraph (such as these ones: My sisters and brother are half, we have seperate fathers. I do not see my uncles and aunts often because they live far away.)

The if you need to translate it, I recomend using this site: http://translation2.paralink.com/

My friends and I tested that site out against other, and that was the best we found.

I did write it like that the first time then I decided I should tell the board what te original English text was and forgot everything so I translated the French back to English and posted it.

Yes, I understand and can speak some French but I've only been in the class for a month or so now.

Edit: I had planned on going over it tommorow I'am really tired tonight and would probably just mess it up even more.

Homer
02-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Ok, yeah. Do you know enough french to correct little mistakes, like "Aussi, j'ai un..." instead of "J'ai également un..."? If it's not really expected to be really good french, then I'd say that that paragraph you have is ok to hand in, unless almost 100% correct grammar is expected.

WebDudette
02-22-2006, 10:09 PM
If I were to look at my notes I would know to correct that but this is the first essay not to much is expected. I keep ending up with J'ai cinq grand-pères. Would that be correct for Grandparents because I know that pere is father.

T-6005
02-22-2006, 11:56 PM
If I were to look at my notes I would know to correct that but this is the first essay not to much is expected. I keep ending up with J'ai cinq grand-pères. Would that be correct for Grandparents because I know that pere is father.
Grandparents. Grand-pere is exclusively grandfather.

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Ah, French. I never used to do my French homework, just waiting till the night before it was due and used www.freetranslation.com . The tutor just assumed I was a bit dim.

And I still got a C.

WebDudette
02-23-2006, 06:36 PM
www.freetranslation.com .

Bookmarked.

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-23-2006, 06:38 PM
It was my friend through many a boring Sunday. Use it well.

Tired_Of_You
02-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by PilZ-E
J'ai une grande famille. J'ai cinq grands-parents, deux grands-pères, et trois grands-mères. J'ai également un frère, deux soeurs, quatre oncles, trois tantes, beaucoup de cousins et quatre neveux. Ma soeur a quatre garçons. Ils ont douze ans, huit, trois et moins d'un an. Mes soeurs et mon frère sont des demi-frères et demi-soeurs. Nous avons des papa different. Je ne vois pas mes oncles et tantes souvent, car ils vivent loin. Je vis avec ma maman et mon papa. Ma maman a 52 ans et mon papa a 53 ans. Mes grands-parents vivent au Nébraska. Je ne les vois pas beaucoup. J'ai une grande famille.Almost perfect, but I made a few correction. I think it'd be better to change "papa" for "père" and "maman" for "mère". I think you're not really supposed to put a comma before "et".

T-6005
02-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Almost perfect, but I made a few correction. I think it'd be better to change "papa" for "père" and "maman" for "mère". I think you're not really supposed to put a comma before "et".
With the papa - it just seemed like it was used earlier, I guess. But pere is better. As for the "et", I'm just too anglisized.

WebDudette
05-11-2006, 12:26 AM
So this
Bonjour Eric,

Je mappele Cody Smith j'ai 15 ans et j'habite avec mes parents dans Phoenix, Arizona. J'aime écouter la musique. Certaines de mes bandes préférées sont des Rages Contre la Machine et les Poivre de Chili Chauds Rouges. J'apprécie jouer sur l'ordinateur et regarder télévision. J'apprécie aussi d'Echecs jouant. Quand je ne fais pas n'importe quel de que j'aime dormir.

Should be this

Hello Eric,

My name is Cody Smith I'm 15 years old and I live with my parents in Phoenix, Arizona. I like to listen to music. Some of my favorite bands are Rage Against the Machine and Red Hot Chili Peppers. I enjoy playing on the computer and watching television. I also enjoy playing Chess. When I'm not doing any of that I like to sleep.

Close enough?

ermdevi@tion
05-11-2006, 02:16 AM
Purely a guess, but shouldn't the band names be written as they are in English?

T-6005
05-11-2006, 02:25 AM
Purely a guess, but shouldn't the band names be written as they are in English?
This is true. "Poivres de Chili Chauds Rouges" sounds unbelievably retarded.

WebDudette
05-11-2006, 02:27 AM
Yeah I know. I was going to change that in the morning before class. Any thing other then that?

Vera
05-11-2006, 05:42 AM
It was a pain for me to write my 200 word compositions in German and I often wanted to cheat but I'm glad to say I never did cheat. Better to type an error-filled thing than cheat. You hand in an essay that's in perfect French and then go to an exam and come out with an F in hand? What does that tell the teacher about your French skills? It just reveals that you're a cheat.

It's not worth using BabelFish and the like to cheat. If French isn't compulsory, just fucking stop studying it.

Sin Studly
05-11-2006, 06:49 AM
While Maria is always willing to help on anything French-related, beware. She speaks French the same way she speaks English.

Sin Studly
05-11-2006, 07:28 AM
You're a whore.

WebDudette
05-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Yeah, plenty.

Firstly, one doesn't say "j'apprécie jouer", unless one is at once a posh & an autist (a rare combination).

One simply says "J'aime" or "j'aime bien", the latter being slightly more informal.

And, pray tell me, do you have retard antecedents? What possessed you to translate Rage against the machine & Red Hot Chili Peppers? There's only one name for a band. You don't translate The Beatles as Les Coléoptères, do you? Not only that, but you managed somehow to translate them wrongly: it's "piment", not "poivre", in this case.

And it's "j'aime écouter DE la musique".

As for this sentence: Certaines de mes bandes préférées sont des Rages Contre la Machine et les Poivre de Chili Chauds Rouges, it's wrong from beginning to end. A better translation would be: Rage against... et Red hot... sont parmi mes groupes préférés.

Finally, this sentence: J'apprécie jouer sur l'ordinateur et regarder télévision. J'apprécie aussi d'Echecs jouant. Quand je ne fais pas n'importe quel de que j'aime dormir, is lousier than lousy.
Perhaps this translation might sound better: J'aime jouer sur l'ordinateur et regarder LA télévision. LA, for chrissake. L A . J'aime également jouer aux échecs (or better still: j'aime bien aussi les échecs, for the former translation of mine is too posh compared to the English sentence). Quand je ne fais ni l'un ni l'autre, j'aime bien dormir.

It wasn't actually me. I used a online translator. I'm beyond lazy.

Vera: I can pass the quizes there simple I'm just to lazy to right an actual essay. Also I wouldn't have taken the class were it not required to pass.

WebDudette
05-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Are you insiting that I did infact translate it my self?

In any case I odubt I will get a low grade. I have done close to nothing in this class and have a 81%

WebDudette
05-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Oh of course I should but I won't and that's why I used an online traslator rather then do it myself.

I got -10 points for pronunciation