PDA

View Full Version : iPod nano - yes or no?

Nina
02-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Should I buy an iPod nano? I'd get the 2GB one.
Opinions. Quick.

Andy
02-25-2006, 08:47 AM
I've got one - works fine and doesn't cause an unsightly bulge in your jean pockets. The only drawback is that it only holds 500 songs.

Nina
02-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Yeah I know. But I dont think I can get the 4GB one, or even a normal iPod for 40GB. Booh at not having money.

Andy
02-25-2006, 08:49 AM
Get one. The 500 song thing doesn't really matter, you can always update the songs that are on it.

Nina
02-25-2006, 08:50 AM
The updating goes quick, right?
Is iTunes easy to handle?
Is the battery really THAT good?

Andy
02-25-2006, 08:53 AM
iTunes is indeed easy to use. Basically: If I can use it, it's easy!

The battery is alright, I've never really paid much attention to its capacity as I always put it on charge (I know that's not good for it but it's much easier). I constantly use it and battery life hasn't been an issue yet, no.

Nina
02-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks for your help :]

Andy
02-25-2006, 09:07 AM
No worries, any time.

Lars
02-25-2006, 09:15 AM
They've improved the battery life. the thing is quite thin. itunes is pretty easy and all that. Flash memory means it should never skip whatever you do. no hard drive to worry about fucking up (such as the read heads exploding or scratching the platters or such.)

my ipod died last year. I ended up buying an archos gmini xs202. while it's only 20gb hd (which I can fill up easily) I like the fact that it's just simple. you put the songs on there in the music directory/folder and that's it. It reads the id3 tags and you can browse like that, or browse the directories/folders on it and choose to play. I've not looked into wheather you can put it on repeat or random though (I don't like random anyway, I like to listen to an album through). i know it supports playlists though. It could be similarily priced to the nano's.

Apathy
02-25-2006, 09:23 AM
nano = bad.

Doesn't hold as many songs, costs about the same.

Sunny
02-25-2006, 09:35 AM
my husband has a black 2gb nano and he loves it. the battery life is pretty good, the device itself is tiiny and cute, and iTunes works fine as always. =)

i prefer big ipods, but it's just me. if you're looking for something a bit cheaper and small, the nano is prolly the way to go.

wheelchairman
02-25-2006, 10:10 AM
If you want it. Personally I didn't like having an mp3 player with a lot of memory as much as having one with a smaller one.

With a smaller memory you have the time to memorize the lyrics of the songs and sing obnoxiously in public (which I do enjoy.) Also there is a higher probability of hearing songs that are new that you just uploaded onto it, without having to go through the menus.

But yeah it's really up to what you want in an mp3 player. Try to think if you didn't have one at all, then make a list of all the qualities it should have if could get the perfect one, whichever one is closest to what you want, should obviously be the choice.

Tizzalicious
02-25-2006, 10:34 AM
I don't know anything about them, but I do know that my 20GB sony is small too, and costs almost the same as an Ipod Nano. And it's great.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Well I am an iPod junkie I guess you could say.

There are 11 iPods apart of my house, the neighbor on the left side's house, and the neighbors and the left side of the house total. 5 being in our house.
We found some problems... but overcame them. None have a nano yet but I would say do more research with other MP3s or just wait to save up money and just get the new more song iPod minis. It isn't that much of a difference eithier pricewise. Look up the iPod minis, the newer ones and see prices. Or look at the old ones and buy one used for real cheap. Just to be safe.

Kerr
02-25-2006, 03:48 PM
browse the directories/folders on it and choose to play.
That's exactly how I'd love to browse my music, but my Creative doesn't have this feature and I have had to use Playlists. But I've gotten used to it.

Some people have complained about a scrated or split screen (or something like that) with nanos. But, if you have the money for it (even though the price is too high for what it holds), and don't listen to shitloads of music, buy it. Like someone said, it doesn't put a big bulge in your pocket.

Nina
02-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Well, I thought that iPod mini was replaced by the iPod nano? Mini isnt available in Germany anymore, at least not as far as I know.

Tizz, 20GB is too small?!

Lars, yours sounds pretty good, but it has a hard drive, you said, right? I have to admit that I chose the nano because it doesnt have any. And how come your iPod died?

Nineteen Seventy Nine, I'd definitely get a regular, big iPod but it does cost a LOT. And my current mp3-player is dying, this is why I wanted to get one within the next few days.

Scratched screens?! Horror scenario for me. I HAAATTEEE that.

Per, thanks for your suggestions, but I do want a big memory! As I said, I'd get the 40GB iPod if I had the money for it.

EEEEEEE I hate money atm.

jrk247
02-26-2006, 12:20 AM
Nina, before you buy the Nano you should check out the RIO Carbon it is 5 to 6 Gigs and has a really good battery life. I have a Rio Carbon 5 gig and it is awesome it is only $150-$200 US. It has a built in equalizer it comes with a fast uploading program and is really small (Dimensions of a credit card and half an inch thin).

Here is a link to the RIO site: Rio Carbon (http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/item_main_Rio.asp?model=267)

Lars
02-26-2006, 01:02 AM
Lars, yours sounds pretty good, but it has a hard drive, you said, right? I have to admit that I chose the nano because it doesnt have any. And how come your iPod died?
Yeah, it has a hard drive, which is apparently the 'smallest 20gb mp3 player with a hard drive.' The ipod died I think because the hard drive finally gave in. 3 years of it being abused running, walking and possible abusive/violent movements from cycling.

As for screens getting scratched, you can get something to put over it. I've seen these scrren protector things listed on ebay, not exactly sure what they're called, but if you did a search for an mp3 player they'll probably turn up.

Tizzalicious
02-26-2006, 01:10 AM
Tizz, 20GB is too small?!

I meant size-wise, as in...it's tiny machine =P

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-26-2006, 02:36 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NANO IS EVIL!

iPods = always breaking apple piece of junk!!! :mad:

all my friends iPods always break, i'm too scared to buy one now.

neocon58
02-26-2006, 03:23 AM
My damn mini died this afternoon. It's still under warranty, but it's not like the retailer can replace it with another mini, they're out of production!!! I'll go to the store tomorrow and see what the deal is.

*cries* I can't live without my Ipod!

offspring kid
02-26-2006, 03:37 AM
I've got one - works fine and doesn't cause an unsightly bulge in your jean pockets. The only drawback is that it only holds 500 songs.

500 songs are enough if you only listen to the offspring,i am thinking about shopping the 2gb...

Linda
02-26-2006, 10:00 AM
If they're abused they'll break.
Like anything else, you just have to take
care of it. I have no complaints about my
iPod.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-26-2006, 10:34 AM
[QUOTE=Nina]
Nineteen Seventy Nine, I'd definitely get a regular, big iPod but it does cost a LOT. And my current mp3-player is dying, this is why I wanted to get one within the next few days.
QUOTE]

I'm talking about getting an iPod mini, not regular iPod or Video. My sister got her's last year for $200. Now that the nano is out, less people are buying minis

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HTZ76/sr=8-4/qid=1140978835/ref=pd_bbs_4/103-9280533-1375854?%5Fencoding=UTF8

A little over $200 good?

Linda
02-26-2006, 12:33 PM
That seems a bit expensive to me. I bought my 40GB iPod a little over a year ago for $400. Big difference between 4GB and 40GB!! Better off to get a 30GB, they're only $299. I don't think they make the 40GB anymore.
A brand new 4GB iPod is $249. Why buy a refurbished one?

http://www.apple.com/ipod/

GreenTerror
02-26-2006, 08:27 PM
I don't have one of those fancy iPods, but I have one of these (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Beheaded/Picturegay001.jpg). Zen Nano plus, I think it's called. It's only 1GB, but it's just fine for me because I can just edit all my crap regularly. It's pretty good, for free. My parents won it in a raffle at my dad's company Christmas party.

Nina
02-26-2006, 11:31 PM

Well, as I said before, I dont have enough money for a regular iPod. I'd get one if I did. And I am probably buying one today. Soo..

And as I said before in this case as well: iPod mini = not available around here.

jrk247 and GreenTerror, thanks a lot, I will check it out today before I decide!

Lars, DUH you are right, I saw that the other day on ebay, I'm just too dumb to associate sometimes. :/

WebDudette
02-27-2006, 12:14 AM
500 songs are enough if you only listen to the offspring,i am thinking about shopping the 2gb...

Who listens to only The Offspring. I have a cheap MP3 player with a 512 card a 256 card and a built in 128 I could buy 20 of them for the price of an Ipod. Plus like Per said I like not having to many songs I don't have any song on the built in memory or on the 256.

Lars
02-27-2006, 02:18 AM
And as I said before in this case as well: iPod mini = not available around here.

Lars, DUH you are right, I saw that the other day on ebay, I'm just too dumb to associate sometimes. :/
There's a good reason for the mini not being available. The nano actually replaced it, it's just extra/remaining stock that's being sold at places.

:p I'm too cheap to spend 20 on some case for mine, so I'm just going to get one of those things to stick on the screen, the case is all metal so it won't really get scratched up.

Nina
02-27-2006, 03:04 AM
SEE

I said so in an earlier post: nano replaced the mini.
GRRR at you all for "helping" me but not really reading what I'm saying :P

offspringisoldschoolpunk
02-27-2006, 07:23 AM
i got the 2GB nano and its awesome and u can put pics on it and everything.