PDA

View Full Version : The Offspring, A Christian Band? Theoretical Framework...

haveyouever?
02-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Do I believe that the Offspring is a Christian Band? No I certainly don't.... however in loving their music and listening to their gripping lyrics throughout the years it is evident that they are on a quest for meaning...and boy are they close to the TRUTH...that God is the only answer...in an effort to establish this "theory" i will go to the Offspring "gospel" and talk some lyrics...

***disclaimer...i obviously do not know what was going through dexters head when he was writing these songs..and am perhaps taking the words out of context..but just for a moment bear with me***

"There was a time, looking through myself
Wanting to pretend
If I escaped, I could fill myself
I don‘t think you can
Been far and wide
But that hole inside
Never really leaves
When I went away, what I really left
Left behind was me"
sounds as if the world has been searched for meaning, that drunken party, that "true love", that killer wave, but all these things left was emptiness

"Have you ever felt like there was more
Like someone else was keeping score
And what could make you whole was simply out of reach

the answer to these lyrics is yes, we all have felt this way, because there is something more, if you really search yourself....you know God to be true...would you give Him a chance?

And when you know you can‘t relate
To one more shiny face
Your heart breaks
No one cares
And when you know you can‘t go on
Cause everything is wrong
Your heart breaks
But no one‘s there
boy that is some straight up truth...look around at this world and the moral decline..values are nonexistent...people fail us...friends, family mess up......but there is someone there..the only one who can make us whole....guess who? :) stop the heartbreak and give your heart to Him

All I want
All I need
Always lies just out of reach
I‘ve been coming up empty

I‘ve run as fast
As I can run
I‘ve pushed as hard as anyone
Still there‘s nothing for me
wow..so often do we strive and try hard to do the right things even, but it doesnt matter if we dont have the right motives, we can run we can hide but the truth will not escape us, that is why our lives our miserable because we refuse to accept the love of God

All along
I think I really knew
It was there in the words unspoken
All along
Still believed in you
Now I stand here betrayed and broken

Close my eyes from the burning
All along all the while it‘s true
Take it on, or turn your back
Either way, you can‘t escape it
i just love these lyrics they basically spell out everything i've said unto this point, i believe with my heart that the YOU in these lyrics is about God....almost every American has heard the gospel message and we are left with a choice to accept the love or refuse and go on feeling betrayed and broken...which do you prefer?

Every single day, what you say
Makes no sense to me
Letting you inside isn‘t right
Cause you‘ll mess with me
I never really know
What‘s really going inside you
I can‘t get my head around you
i will end this extremely long post with these lyrics...the reason why we are scared and run from God is just what this says....letting you inside isnt right...you'll mess with me....we know that if we give God a chance we will have to change things in our life and who likes change? no one does..its hard its scary..its unknown....but i urge you....just ask God and see what he does..he is not out to mess with you..he's out to give you a hope and a future to prosper you.....

i could go on and on and fill up 500 pages with lyrics but this is far too long....please forgive me if i come off as holier than thou....i am a horrible person each and everyday of my life....but God's grace is good.....thank you Offspring for your amazing band and inspiration throughout the years..and if you decide to kick me off of your message board i totally understand......

bd007h
02-25-2006, 09:17 PM
double-you tee eff?

Sinister
02-25-2006, 09:20 PM
double-you tee eff?
my thoughts exactly, except I'm not enough of a net junkie to think in abbreviations.

DeAtHsTaR
02-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Well, that was uh, interesting.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-25-2006, 09:35 PM
double-you tee eff?
Times ten .

That_Guy91
02-25-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm fairly sure this is just some religious guy trying desparately to get people to go to church, so he tries to find some vague link between The Offspring and god.

bd007h
02-25-2006, 09:45 PM
he's on a mission from god. Sounds kinda crazy, but he likes it a lot

jrk247
02-25-2006, 10:04 PM
^ so am I!

jrk247
02-25-2006, 10:05 PM
I really don't think any punk rock bands are Christian bands.

Christian bands don't use profanity.

jrk247
02-25-2006, 10:06 PM
I find it funny that he started this thread on his first post.

That_Guy91
02-25-2006, 10:09 PM
First, yes that was his first post, which kind of helps my point. Second, don't triple post. Really. Third, MxPx.

(these points aren't in order, by the way)

Revolver-2005?
02-25-2006, 10:12 PM

there are some christian punk bands...which is weird but what ever

and man what the hell is that crap?

jrk247
02-25-2006, 10:16 PM
and man what the hell is that crap?
What ?

Apathy
02-25-2006, 11:36 PM
The lyrics are deep. You can interpret them in many ways.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Whoever made this thread is a complete retard and should die.

by the way, i hope you burn in hell you christian peice of shit.

jrk247
02-25-2006, 11:52 PM
^Did you notice it was their first post? I think they are trying to convert Offspring fans into full blown CHRISTIANS! Oh NO! Not Church! :D

DeAtHsTaR
02-25-2006, 11:56 PM
That's pretty harsh, dickhead.

jrk247
02-26-2006, 12:03 AM
That's pretty harsh, dickhead.
I agree that it is harsh but, the creator of this thread is trying to force the Christian mindset of religion on the people who listen to the offspring. What if I am Budhist, a Hindu, Jewish, Islamic, etc... He has no right saying what the lyrics mean, because half of those have to deal with love and being heart broken not finding "GOD". He apparantly has no idea what the offspring are like.

DeAtHsTaR
02-26-2006, 12:07 AM
I agree that it is harsh but, the creator of this thread is trying to force the Christian mindset of religion on the people who listen to the offspring. What if I am Budhist, a Hindu, Jewish, Islamic, etc... He has no right saying what the lyrics mean, because half of those have to deal with love and being heart broken not finding "GOD". He apparantly has no idea what the offspring are like.
I know he's wrong too. But it's just fucking sick that that other guy hates people for being Christian.

Fspring
02-26-2006, 02:58 AM
Whoever made this thread is a complete retard and should die.

You are such an intolerant ass.....

Ó meu ganda anormal, é esse tipo de merdas ke faz com ke os ramalah's andem paí a aviar bombas no ppl....

Llamas
02-26-2006, 02:59 AM
I bet this guy doesn't actually like the offspring, just goes around making accounts on band websites with vague lyric connections...

I think there is meaning to Dexter looking for the truth, and I think that makes him agnostic. Certainly we don't know their beliefs, but their lyrics like "the meaning of life" basically point toward them trying to figure stuff out for themselves- definitely not being Christian.

Rutegard
02-26-2006, 05:24 AM
I'm fairly sure this is just some religious guy trying desparately to get people to go to church, so he tries to find some vague link between The Offspring and god.

LOOOOL hell yeah

Rutegard
02-26-2006, 05:25 AM
I bet this guy doesn't actually like the offspring, just goes around making accounts on band websites with vague lyric connections...

I think there is meaning to Dexter looking for the truth, and I think that makes him agnostic. Certainly we don't know their beliefs, but their lyrics like "the meaning of life" basically point toward them trying to figure stuff out for themselves- definitely not being Christian.

yeah that's the point
i second that

Lenny
02-26-2006, 05:56 AM
Really does it matter if the Offspring are a christian band, they still make good music so who cares, really?

Tijs
02-26-2006, 06:35 AM
Third, MxPx.
MxPx isn't a Christian band. They don't promote their religion in their songs. I've seen them live twice and haven't heard them say a single thing about God or religious related.
May I quote from their website's FAQ:

IS MXPX A CHRISTIAN BAND?
Mxpx are Christians in a band.

Drum Goddess
02-26-2006, 06:45 AM
i dont think the offspring is a christian band.

haveyouever?
02-26-2006, 06:49 AM
i'm not saying they are a christian band by any means.....i put in a disclaimer that said i do not know what their lyrics really mean...i'm just saying i can relate to the lyrics from a christian worldview...you can probably do it with any band....but the offspring has deep meaningful lyrics mostly....there not just about girls....drugs....parties...cops...there are some songs like that definitely...but many of the songs are depressing..and its because there is a void....there is some sense of emptiness...."how can one little street swallow so many lives..chances thrown....nothings free....longing for used to be..still its hard....hard to see fragile lives..shattered dreams.."

this is a message board where people can express their opinions..i'm by no means saying that i'm right...and i'm not trying to force "church" or "religion" on anyone..i'm opposed to religion....i am however for a relationship with God...let me ask you this...if God is real...that makes the Bible real...which makes heaven and hell real....if heaven and hell are real....wouldn't you want the resource to get you to heaven? what is the worst that can happen.....you ask God to show you that he is real...and he does....and you are saved from hopelessness, despair, HELL.....if you ask God to show you if he is real...and he doesn't(which he wont)....than you go on living like you are.....

peace out...thanks for the feedback...."someday i'll try again...not pretend...this time forever"...

STAY UP

punker
02-26-2006, 06:57 AM
i still think that you're trying to force people to get in to church or at least to believe in god, reminds of this girl i was talkin to on msn, that keep saying how stupid i was for not believing in god

Dmarques
02-26-2006, 07:00 AM
AMEN!! People...

Hyper nova
02-26-2006, 07:13 AM
isn't noodles jewish?

and isn't the reason why they never released Mission From God (until epitaph did) is becasue people would think they were a religious band when they aren't?

No offence to that guy but he's an idiot.

haveyouever?
02-26-2006, 07:28 AM
i still think that you're trying to force people to get in to church or at least to believe in god, reminds of this girl i was talkin to on msn, that keep saying how stupid i was for not believing in god

that someone would say that....to you...i'm very sorry....Christians can be so hypocritical and ridiculous...i am the first to admit that.....but how am i forcing you? i am not taking a gun out and saying read this...do this...i'm just saying if you(not just you..me everyone) is tired of getting loaded...cutting themselves....popping pills...going through life on a meaningless and grievous journey..maybe there is something else out there...??

Dmarques
02-26-2006, 07:35 AM
that someone would say that....to you...i'm very sorry....Christians can be so hypocritical and ridiculous...i am the first to admit that.....but how am i forcing you? i am not taking a gun out and saying read this...do this...i'm just saying if you(not just you..me everyone) is tired of getting loaded...cutting themselves....popping pills...going through life on a meaningless and grievous journey..maybe there is something else out there...??
I believe in god and i'm not christian,etc...

Revolver-2005?
02-26-2006, 07:38 AM
MxPx isn't a Christian band. They don't promote their religion in their songs. I've seen them live twice and haven't heard them say a single thing about God or religious related.

MxPx started as a christian band in their early incarnations.

And this thread still blows

Titus
02-26-2006, 07:49 AM
The lyrics are deep. You can interpret them in many ways.

I agree

Everyone got a different way to interpret offspring´s music. And he wrote what he think. Free expression. And I confess, that makes me think, but I do not agree.

Do I believe that the Offspring is a Christian Band? No I certainly don't....

He didn´t ask no one to think the same thing as him. And he didn´t force no one.

Rufus
02-26-2006, 08:16 AM
The Offspring aren't religeous

[WD]: What was the extra song from Ignition?
[D]: It was a song called ‘Mission From God‘.
[WD]: But you never did anything with that?
[D]: We just didn‘t think it was as good as the other songs and it was kinda‘ like a Blue‘s Brothers reference. We weren‘t seriously religious and so we were debating in the band that it might come across as a religious song. It wasn‘t, though. It was the farthest thing from it. Like in the vain of a ‘Bad Habit‘. The guy in the song is kooky and whacked out. I should re-write that about the Washington sniper now, huh? So that one was left off and we never did anything with it. That was that one….

Tomoo
02-26-2006, 09:17 AM
he's on a mission from god. Sounds kinda crazy, but he likes it a lot

^^LOL!! :D

alistair13
02-26-2006, 11:38 AM
yeah, who thought all along could be about god...? i never did

jrk247
02-26-2006, 03:17 PM
First of all I believe in GOD I am a Christian. And 2nd I don't get loaded, cut myself, pop pills, etc.. How fucking dare you say that shit to people, just because they don't believe in what you do. Fuck YOU, stop trying to say "instead of doing this go towards GOD." As I said before not everyone is a Christian, there are other religions out there. You are being Unconstitutional and prejudice. Stop expressing your religious thoughts, there is a difference of expressing your oppinion then there is at expressing your religion. Not all religions have a Heaven and Hell. Just STFU before you get banned!

Llamas
02-26-2006, 04:30 PM

Listen, you are not FORCING anyone to do anything. But you are being a typical manipulative Christian. With your "I'm against religion but for a relationship with God". Do you not know what religion is? it's a "relationship" or belief in a supernatural being. You are religious, and you're using manipulative tactics to try to stick your religion on people. I grew up as a Christian, and have spent most of my life around a lot of Christians... I can smell your shit from a mile away. I do NOT care if you're a Christian, I respect people who are religious. But you, sir, bring a bad name to Christians everywhere.

Okay you got me going. Christians are the most self-centered people I know. How dare you say that people who aren't Christian get loaded, pop pills, and cut themselves?? The best people I have ever met in my life have been agnostic and atheist. Why? Because Christians are good people for personal gain. They do good things so that they are good in God's book and will go to heaven. Agnostics and Atheists are good people out of the kindness of their hearts. They do it because they like to help people- NOT so they can get to heaven. Therefore, you are hypocritical, and stop judging people based on religion. That gives you negative points toward being a good person.

I bet you hate gays, too. Dick.

NDM1
02-26-2006, 04:39 PM
I'm going with Haveyouever? on this one. I too have thought there has been small connections with the offspring's lyrics and god. That's just my thoughts though.

That_Guy91
02-26-2006, 04:58 PM
May I quote from their website's FAQ:
Ok, fine. I'm not even a big fan, i'm just saying what i've heard.

Llamas
02-26-2006, 05:09 PM
oh, and relient k is a christian poppunk band.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-26-2006, 10:10 PM
You are such an intolerant ass.....

Ó meu ganda anormal, é esse tipo de merdas ke faz com ke os ramalah's andem paí a aviar bombas no ppl....

Fuck you fuckers, i lost my best friend over that fucking religion not long ago, i have no respect for it now.

Llamas
02-26-2006, 10:15 PM
how did you lose a friend because of Christianity?

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-26-2006, 10:19 PM
It's a long story which i choose not to explain in this thread... either way, The Offspring will never be Christian Rock.

offspringdude17
02-27-2006, 05:27 AM
STUDID DUMBSHIT GODDAM MOTHERFUCKER

SMELL'S LIKE SHIT GODDAMN

and i hate church

offspringer24
02-27-2006, 05:41 AM
most of the lyrics are about women being in and out of love and feeling empty when u dont have the girl u want
dexter is sex mad not a bible basher

Fspring
02-27-2006, 06:52 AM
Fuck you fuckers, i lost my best friend over that fucking religion not long ago, i have no respect for it now.

I never thought of having this conversation here, but you see, what i wrote in portuguese is that it's because of sentences like that that the muslims do bombings, were responsible for the 9/11, the 3/11 in madrid and the bombing in london.... and they say it's because of god.... The bad thing here it's not being a christain or a muslim ro whatever... the bad thing is being intolerant towards other people and not be able to see that we are all different. Second, categorizing people it's the first way to prejudice... I mean, there are a lot of different people among muslims, and among christains, jewish, etc... Some take their religion seriously, some dont, some are intolerants, some are asses... That's normal. What I don't see is why we should react so adverse to someone who says "I'm from some religion", just because of the fact he is from that religion!

As to conversions, except for some cases where they are forceful, like the muslims try to do in their countries, they are because people find something or other in a religion that makes sense... not just because someone says "you must be whatever..."

Third... I don't really think the offspring are christain or have any christain meaning in their lyrics, but that's just my view...

Punkette
02-27-2006, 07:04 AM
this is so stupid :D what a bible bashing freak :D :D

H1T_That
02-27-2006, 07:06 AM
this is so stupid :D what a bible bashing freak :D :D

how old are you?

mentally, not physically.

Little_Miss_1565
02-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Well...using Derrida's theoretical framework, one can make anything mean practically anything but what it was originally intended to mean.

/English major

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-27-2006, 04:17 PM
My dad says the Offspring worship the devil.

haveyouever?
02-27-2006, 04:24 PM
after reading the replies to this post...this is what i feel:

"have you ever buried your face in your hands because no one around you understands or has the slightest idea what it is that makes you be?"

i love*sarcasm* how "different" opinions and thoughts get discounted into things like you just want us to go to church...your an idiot...anyways i love you guys

stay up

Camilamazed
02-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Nah... I don't believe the songs are religion related.

barangatang
02-27-2006, 06:54 PM

Yeah man, your not a tru punk until you start swearing. And a band that doesn't use profanity are definitely not "punk"

Llamas
02-27-2006, 07:31 PM
I definitely don't think that cussing makes a band punk...

barangatang
02-27-2006, 07:37 PM
I definitely don't think that cussing makes a band punk...

Of course it doesn't. Any one who thinks otherwise is a complete and total idiot.

ps. In case you lack gathering skills, i was being sarcastic.

DeAtHsTaR
02-27-2006, 07:39 PM

Haha why's he say that?

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-28-2006, 01:31 AM

I think he was joking? was it a joke?

offspring_freak_3
02-28-2006, 08:00 PM
hmmm........... what???

T-6005
02-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Greg K is Marilyn Manson's gay lover on the side. Therefore - the Offspring are not Christian.

Vera
03-01-2006, 03:09 AM
I have to counter your post because it's always been evident to me who the Offspring vouch for. Their lyrics are, with a few exceptions, words to the Devil, dedicated to the Devil, written in inspiration to the Devil, from the love of the Devil etc. Chaos be to You, St. Lucifer!!

Anyway, I will take a few example lyrics and interpret them to prove you that the Offspring clearly worship Satan with their lyrics and believe in the word of the Black Bible.

666!!!

First a subtle hint,

something's odd / I feel like I'm God - Bad Habit

This is exactly what made Lucifer turn away from the God... these exact emotions... depicted in this wonderful song.. it tells me Dexter understands, he knows.. he's not one of the numb-minded Christians still struggling to realize that the truth lies on the other side... the SATANIC side... like in Star Wars, only better... and with blood.

by the way / I know your path has been tried and so / it may seem like the way to go / me, I'd rather be found / trying something new - Meaning of Life

This whole song.. so evident, it represents a different lifestyle.. instead of living a moral, Christian life, worshipping God and Jesus... turn to the face of the REAL saviour, the lover of TRUTH, Satanus... Christianity is so medieval!!! Do something new... be punk... punk is all about loving and worshipping the Devil, Satan Almighty.

it's cool to hate / it's cool to hate - Cool To Hate

SATAN THOUGHT SO TOO DAMMIt

When will the world / listen to reason / I have a feeling it'll be a long time / when will the truth / come into season / I have a feeling it'll be a long time - It'll be a Long Time

Saying Devil... is the truth... if you deny this, you're stupid... it's so clear and evident... but it'll be a long time ... SEEK SALVATION IN DEVIL TODAY!!! (Discount now!)

LAST BUT NOT LEAST!!!

Come full fill the prophecy
With our demons of debauchery
As virgins and spectres sing
This madness will never cease - Demons

That's right... DEMONS.. Not Angels... Not Jesuses... Not Saints.. DEMONS. DEMONS DEMONS DEMONS.. Satan's demons... it's clearer than ever.. the true way of being.. Dexter knows it I know it... LUCIFER commands you...

And let's face it.. Cool To Hate, Genocide, Beheaded, singing about sex and girls (She's Got Issues) and drugs (Mota, Worst Hangover Ever), immoral acts (Pretty Fly), and most importantly, DEATH and political rage (Kill The President), how could anyone assume the Offspring have a relationship with God?

There is no way their music could be secular, ironic, written to convey messages of feelings and portray emotions... No, I think Dexter writes with his blood and his blood is drawn to Satan.

Please.. Don't hate me because I'm evil.. Hate me because I'm right..

Disclaimer: It's a parody. Not too funny, I admit, but had to be done despite.

Little_Miss_1565
03-01-2006, 03:19 AM
Hail Satan!

Hypodermic_89
03-01-2006, 04:04 AM
hail Captain Caveman!

forcyn
03-01-2006, 04:53 AM
Do I believe that the Offspring is a Christian Band? No I certainly don't.... however in loving their music and listening to their gripping lyrics throughout the years it is evident that they are on a quest for meaning...and boy are they close to the TRUTH...that God is the only answer...in an effort to establish this "theory" i will go to the Offspring "gospel" and talk some lyrics...

***disclaimer...i obviously do not know what was going through dexters head when he was writing these songs..and am perhaps taking the words out of context..but just for a moment bear with me***

Wanting to pretend
I don‘t think you can
Been far and wide
But that hole inside
Never really leaves
Left behind was me"
sounds as if the world has been searched for meaning, that drunken party, that "true love", that killer wave, but all these things left was emptiness

the answer to these lyrics is yes, we all have felt this way, because there is something more, if you really search yourself....you know God to be true...would you give Him a chance?

To one more shiny face
Your heart breaks
No one cares
Your heart breaks
But no one‘s there
boy that is some straight up truth...look around at this world and the moral decline..values are nonexistent...people fail us...friends, family mess up......but there is someone there..the only one who can make us whole....guess who? :) stop the heartbreak and give your heart to Him

All I want
All I need

I‘ve run as fast
As I can run
wow..so often do we strive and try hard to do the right things even, but it doesnt matter if we dont have the right motives, we can run we can hide but the truth will not escape us, that is why our lives our miserable because we refuse to accept the love of God

All along
I think I really knew
All along
Still believed in you

i just love these lyrics they basically spell out everything i've said unto this point, i believe with my heart that the YOU in these lyrics is about God....almost every American has heard the gospel message and we are left with a choice to accept the love or refuse and go on feeling betrayed and broken...which do you prefer?

Makes no sense to me
I never really know
i will end this extremely long post with these lyrics...the reason why we are scared and run from God is just what this says....letting you inside isnt right...you'll mess with me....we know that if we give God a chance we will have to change things in our life and who likes change? no one does..its hard its scary..its unknown....but i urge you....just ask God and see what he does..he is not out to mess with you..he's out to give you a hope and a future to prosper you.....

i could go on and on and fill up 500 pages with lyrics but this is far too long....please forgive me if i come off as holier than thou....i am a horrible person each and everyday of my life....but God's grace is good.....thank you Offspring for your amazing band and inspiration throughout the years..and if you decide to kick me off of your message board i totally understand......

AMEN.

yeah, you're right, every Offspring song is about GOD!

No Comments...

Jojan
03-01-2006, 08:58 AM
I hate colors.

T-6005
03-09-2006, 12:57 PM
SEEK SALVATION IN DEVIL TODAY!!! (Discount now!)

This was the best part.

offspring_freak_3
03-09-2006, 01:31 PM
omfg, you guys make me laugh :p

rlplaymaker
03-09-2006, 04:40 PM
WOW, this thread just made me realize.......SATANIC PEOPLE ARE A BUNCH OF FAGGOTS............. Star Wars with blood??? wow interesting...

Well listen up Darth and Mr. Christian, neither of you are right......Im a Christian too but i can tell that the Offspring are NOWHERE close to being a Christian band. Plain and simple, and anyone with eyes can see that none of the guys in the band are satanic, thats just retarded. Theyre a punk band, over and done.And unless you know any better, not really involved with God or satan. THats just my two pennies.........

PS MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Emily_offspring_fan
03-09-2006, 04:51 PM
WOW, this thread just made me realize.......SATANIC PEOPLE ARE A BUNCH OF FAGGOTS............. Star Wars with blood??? wow interesting...

Well listen up Darth and Mr. Christian, neither of you are right......Im a Christian too but i can tell that the Offspring are NOWHERE close to being a Christian band. Plain and simple, and anyone with eyes can see that none of the guys in the band are satanic, thats just retarded. Theyre a punk band, over and done.And unless you know any better, not really involved with God or satan. THats just my two pennies.........

You're totally right. This thread is crazy! :eek:

TMDGJ
03-16-2006, 05:41 PM

you do know that the post about Offspring being a satanic band was a joke right. It was a parody and a way to show the creator of the thread that you can acknowledge the lyrics that way instead which is just as silly. None of the arguments for being a christian or antichrist-band was any good. But like i said it was a joke, A very good one. Realy perfect parody.

Jase
03-17-2006, 06:43 AM
Okay, now while I agree on the fact that people are entitled to interpret lyrics in anyway they want, much the same as you interpret any text differently depending on the context in which you place it, you can't possibly believe that the Offspring purposefully try to promote christianity in their lyrics? I mean just the line from bad habit "something's wrong, feel like I'm God" is being blasphemous according to christian values. Another point, and I realise you weren't saying the offspring are a christian band but just for future reference, you CANNOT have a christian PUNK band. Sure you can play music in the vein of punk rock, by which I mean the simple blasting out of power chords which is at the heart of every punk rock song, but the minute you start trying to promote christian values you're moving away from what punk actually means. Punk is an expression of indiviuality, granted the number of so-called "pop-punk" rock bands around these days ie. Good Charlotte, Simple Plan etc etc. that all sound exactly the same is pretty rediculous, I think most people would agree with the opinion that they're not really punk either, especially considering the amount of songs they produce whining about how sad and misserable their lives are which makes them seem more emo at times than punk. Punk, at it's roots isn't just music, it's a style of life, one in which you go against the norm, resist societies attempts at forcing their hegemony upon you. Christianity is the opposite of this... Once you try to put punk and christianity together you destroy the whole idea of punk, effectively cancelling out any relation to punk there is other than the simple style of music. Anyway, this is just my opinion, you can all disagree with it if you want, I don't really care I just felt I had to say something.

P.S. Vera... that was hillarious

Hypodermic_89
03-17-2006, 06:57 AM
This thread deserves to die.. Or at least get injured.

no_way
04-19-2006, 06:55 AM
isn't noodles jewish?

jewish people believe in God what they don't believe in is in Jesus Maria and that crap

anyway, we can be sure that in the lyrics they mantion the word "God" lotsa times, so it might barely have sth to do

"but you can't kill a man when he's got no hope,
you can't kill a man when he's...-- GOD HELP ME!!!"

"i did not choose this God Dammit
i don't really know, what i wanna say, i can't afford to throw, God make it go away now"

......... i don't wanna search for more but i'm sure there's still some others.

i know people say that sometime uncontiously but these are songs, dexter wrote them and they must have practised it like hundreds of times so you can't say that came out spontainously.

doesn't matter offspring is still a damn awesome band!!!!

crrrN
04-19-2006, 07:03 AM
Christian bands are not allowed to play with distorted guitars.

brothadave79
04-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Punk, at it's roots isn't just music, it's a style of life, one in which you go against the norm, resist societies attempts at forcing their hegemony upon you. Christianity is the opposite of this... Once you try to put punk and christianity together you destroy the whole idea of punk, effectively cancelling out any relation to punk there is other than the simple style of music. Anyway, this is just my opinion, you can all disagree with it if you want, I don't really care I just felt I had to say something.

I disagree. Punk isn't about being contrarian in every way. And as far as norms go, punk establishes its own norms. When it does that, isn't the "punk lifestyle" just forcing a new hegemony of behavior upon a person? There aren't any rules to being punk - that would defeat the whole purpose. Punk is defined by its lack of definition. It says not to accept things just because that is what you've been told. Follow your own convictions, even if they conflict with the ones of those around you. If one of those convictions happens to be religion then so be it.

Rutegard
04-19-2006, 08:59 AM
I disagree. Punk isn't about being contrarian in every way. And as far as norms go, punk establishes its own norms. When it does that, isn't the "punk lifestyle" just forcing a new hegemony of behavior upon a person? There aren't any rules to being punk - that would defeat the whole purpose. Punk is defined by its lack of definition. It says not to accept things just because that is what you've been told. Follow your own convictions, even if they conflict with the ones of those around you. If one of those convictions happens to be religion then so be it.

ohyeah
there you go :D awesome

Rutegard
04-19-2006, 09:01 AM
and i remember...of dexter saying...bout mission from god...that they were "afraid" of puting it out that time cause he didn't want people to think they were religious...but he also said something like this...we weren't religious THAT TIME...don't know if now they are.....and can't remember where i hear it but i'm sure you guys hear it too

SaiKYoU
04-19-2006, 09:13 AM
omg, is that really true??! :D

Little_Miss_1565
04-19-2006, 09:22 AM

No, punk is a counterculture--or rather, was, since it really doesn't exist anymore and what you're describing is what is sometimes now called punk but really isn't at all. In real, actual, authentic punk from the late 70's, it was all about bucking the system, and one of the biggest systems of all other than government was religion. Sid Vicious rolls in his grave every time someone says that Christianity and punk are not necessarily uncombinable, because they really are.

brothadave79
04-19-2006, 09:34 AM
No, punk is a counterculture--or rather, was, since it really doesn't exist anymore and what you're describing is what is sometimes now called punk but really isn't at all. In real, actual, authentic punk from the late 70's, it was all about bucking the system, and one of the biggest systems of all other than government was religion. Sid Vicious rolls in his grave every time someone says that Christianity and punk are not necessarily uncombinable, because they really are.

What I described may not be true punk, but I think it makes more sense. I have a real problem with an ideology that tells you to cast off current systems because they are constraining while forming its own restrictive mores. It's the height of hypocrisy, and unfortunately many countercultures embrace such contradictory ideas. So maybe you're right. Maybe it's not punk. But if you ask me, shunning one master for another still leaves you a servant.

wheelchairman
04-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Sid Vicious was a member of the first boyband. What a douche.

no_way
04-19-2006, 09:50 AM
let's just call punk as what everyone of you thinks punk is ok???

yeah i also want to know if it's true that when you're christian they doesn't let you play with distorted guitars i do't think that......... at least in my school every year there's a band that plays with distorted guitars.... they seemed alright with it.... maybe inmy country it is allowed

Rutegard
04-19-2006, 10:44 AM

LOLOLOLOL
yeah right

brothadave79
04-19-2006, 11:06 AM
They're also not allowed to use electrical lighting. That's why all their concerts are outdoors.

rlplaymaker
04-19-2006, 05:23 PM
WOW! I really can't believe that the creator of this thread took so much heat for expressing his opinion. You little Atheists are being total dickheads to this guy for trying to get his point across, which believe it or not, IS WHAT A FORUM IS ALL ABOUT!!! I'm a Christian myself and we don't give Atheists crap about what they believe in so DONT GIVE US CRAP ABOUT WHAT WE BELIEVE IN!!!! But no, I dont believe the Offspring are a Christian band.

Nood!es
04-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Ever heard of POD? Underoath? Zao?

rlplaymaker
04-19-2006, 05:34 PM

do you honestly still concider the Offspring a Punk band? not since Ixnay in my eyes.......

crrrN
04-19-2006, 05:55 PM
omg, is that really true??! :D
Yee it'd be true.
God despises distortion.

Nood!es
04-19-2006, 06:35 PM
I really hope your being sarcastic...

Jase
04-19-2006, 11:09 PM
yeah i also want to know if it's true that when you're christian they doesn't let you play with distorted guitars i do't think that......... at least in my school every year there's a band that plays with distorted guitars.... they seemed alright with it.... maybe inmy country it is allowed

Uh.... I think he was making a joke there, obviously went over alot of people's heads though hahaha.

And brothadave79, you make some good points. I get what you're saying but my point was that it just wouldn't make sense to call a christian band punk because it would be a complete contradiction of what it is to be punk. Punk isn't about forcing people to dress or act in certain ways. That's just a belief that's been brought on because of clothing labels and whatnot trying to profit by selling "punk" clothing to kids so they can go around pretending they're all about punk. It's more about not caring about the rules and the latest trends or whatever. So it just seems to me, having a band that's trying to get a message across to people about a religion, which is all about following rules and a specific lifestyle, doesn't quite fit with what it means to be punk.

Jim Olejar
04-20-2006, 12:46 AM
For a christian band to say "you stupid, dumb shit, GOD DAMN, motherfucker!" they must be hardcore. Also I think their writing context fits into the punk genre. You are def wrong about this...

wait wait

Ill bet you will tell us that Bad Religion is Christian Punk too right?

right?
:cool:

brothadave79
04-20-2006, 12:08 PM
And brothadave79, you make some good points. I get what you're saying but my point was that it just wouldn't make sense to call a christian band punk because it would be a complete contradiction of what it is to be punk. Punk isn't about forcing people to dress or act in certain ways. That's just a belief that's been brought on because of clothing labels and whatnot trying to profit by selling "punk" clothing to kids so they can go around pretending they're all about punk. It's more about not caring about the rules and the latest trends or whatever. So it just seems to me, having a band that's trying to get a message across to people about a religion, which is all about following rules and a specific lifestyle, doesn't quite fit with what it means to be punk.

Yeah, you're right. Punk does have a message, but it's a political and social one, not religious. A Christian band can play punk-style music, but it still wouldn't be punk. Agreed.

And Jim, if you're referring to the creator of the thread he said in the first sentence of his post:

Do I believe that the Offspring is a Christian Band? No I certainly don't.

Jim Olejar
04-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Right never said anything bad about buddy starting the post. Just the theory of the Offspring being a christian band as sstated in the title.

DeAtHsTaR
04-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Sid Vicious was a member of the first boyband. What a douche.
The Monkees were the first boy band. I think the Pistols were the second though...

no_way
04-21-2006, 10:43 AM
it gets me so sick that lately this PUNK IMAGE is everywhere i look, and people like avril lavigne, hilary duff pink or green day brought them out!!!
there are lots of people in my school saying that they0re punk 'cause they like my chemical romance, good charlotte and green day. all dressed in black... as if they were real punk people... lol!!

wheelchairman
04-21-2006, 11:13 AM
The Monkees were the first boy band. I think the Pistols were the second though...
I obviously didn't mean that literally. Jesus.

Jase
04-21-2006, 07:42 PM
it gets me so sick that lately this PUNK IMAGE is everywhere i look, and people like avril lavigne, hilary duff pink or green day brought them out!!!
there are lots of people in my school saying that they0re punk 'cause they like my chemical romance, good charlotte and green day. all dressed in black... as if they were real punk people... lol!!

My Chemical Romance is emo not punk :D

Simon_Yue
04-21-2006, 07:50 PM
The new NOFX album is religious, just in an athiest kind of way.

brothadave79
04-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Atheism is a religion in itself. It takes just as much faith to say there absolutely is no God as it does to say there certainly is.

Jase
04-22-2006, 07:57 AM
Atheism is a religion in itself. It takes just as much faith to say there absolutely is no God as it does to say there certainly is.

Atheism isn't a religion. A religion implies some sort of organisation and rules/guidelines/set of morals to follow whereas anyone can be an athiest. Also, i don't think you can say it takes as much faith to believe there isn't a God. I find it very easy to believe there isn't one, I've seen nothing to prove there is.

German Andres
04-22-2006, 08:36 AM
The Offspring (best punk rock band)....church....gospel....Christian Band??!!
You gotta be kidding. :cool:
The Offspring rocks

Vera
04-23-2006, 05:12 AM
Atheism isn't a religion as much as it is a system of beliefs. As even Jase said

I find it very easy to believe there isn't one

'Believe' is the word of importance here, I believe.

brothadave79
04-23-2006, 11:21 AM
True. What I really meant was that it requires just as much faith to say there is no God as it does to say there is. In that way, the religious and atheists are very much alike - as opposed to those who say there may or may not be.

no_way
04-23-2006, 05:25 PM
My Chemical Romance is emo not punk :D

well there are people who think it's punk cuz they don't know anything about it. they just see the singer dressed in black and say: oh, sso this is punk music, i am punk!!!

D0Kl3_th3_PUNK
12-19-2008, 08:35 PM

Umm... I beg to differ on this. If you really listen to punk you would know that there is a punk band that is entirely behind god.This is MXPX. also even though there are bands that use profanity it does not mean that they are not Christians. In fact some of the biggest bands in the world(punk or not) are Christain bands but use profanity. I mean looka t linkin park:eek:

SK8rocka
12-20-2008, 10:15 PM
staring at the sun

The words “staring at the sun” are kind of a metaphor, or an analogy, for people that are being self-destructive, or compromising themselves. And in the song, I‘m saying that I won‘t be a part of that. Maybe this line wraps it up the best:

But I won‘t be burned by the reflection
Of the fire in your eyes
As you‘re staring at the sun.

That‘s like me trying to say that if you‘re going to destroy yourself, you‘re not going to drag me down with you.

Does that make sense? I think it‘s so important for kids (or anybody) to just be who they are and not care what anyone else thinks. And that‘s the hardest thing to do.

Ok, now I need another mocha, dammit. Waiter!

yeah btw dexter write this on the dexter on song thing.

Iwishitallaway
12-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Why is this even thread?

Budzy
12-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Why is this even thread?

Freedom of speech has its down sides sometimes.

Iwishitallaway
12-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Freedom of speech has its down sides sometimes.

Apparently! Case in point!

Szandi
12-21-2008, 02:55 AM

He is a cleric.

ad8
12-21-2008, 03:08 AM
I'm pretty sure that the Offspring's lyrics and the christian spirit share many things... but the difference between actual christians and offspring fans is... well, big:D

ThunderPX
12-21-2008, 07:29 AM
"GOD DAMMIIIIIIIIT"
- Never Gonna Find Me

Seriously though, I think songs like Lightning Rod and Have You Ever are evidence that Dexter's lyrics sometimes play with the idea of a god, but there's no evidence that The Offspring's music involves any specific religion.

Ninty Man
12-21-2008, 05:44 PM
"GOD DAMMIIIIIIIIT"
- Never Gonna Find Me

Seriously though, I think songs like Lightning Rod and Have You Ever are evidence that Dexter's lyrics sometimes play with the idea of a god, but there's no evidence that The Offspring's music involves any specific religion.

they are not bad religion... but they are not MXPX

rlplaymaker
12-21-2008, 11:14 PM

Wanting to pretend
I don‘t think you can
Been far and wide
But that hole inside
Never really leaves
Left behind was me"

To one more shiny face
Your heart breaks
No one cares
Your heart breaks
But no one‘s there

All I want
All I need

I‘ve run as fast
As I can run

All along
I think I really knew
All along
Still believed in you

Makes no sense to me
I never really know

the only song that has ever jumped out to me as being somewhat religious would actually be " trust in you "....i listened to it and thought it may be about some guy who has gone against his creator all his life, and is now outta juice and needs God to help him. But are the offspring a religious band? uhmmm, listen to 'bad habit' and then ask yourself that again lol.

holland25
12-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Nominated for the Worst Bump of the Year award.

Trek
12-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Hmm this is what i think.
........................./´¯/)
......................,/¯..//
...................../..../ /
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´(..´......,~/'...')
.........\.................\/..../
..........\............... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\
That guy sure is some fcked up shitbag. I wonder where did he ge the courage to post thisin here.

The song is about people not about fcing flying pigs. Thank ya.

rlplaymaker
12-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Hmm this is what i think.
........................./´¯/)
......................,/¯..//
...................../..../ /
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´(..´......,~/'...')
.........\.................\/..../
..........\............... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\
That guy sure is some fcked up shitbag. I wonder where did he ge the courage to post thisin here.

The song is about people not about fcing flying pigs. Thank ya.

You know what? In the boards, we talk about EVERYTHING. " POST YOUR FAVORITE OFFSPRING PICTURE ", " HOW MANY MORE ALBUMS WILL THE OFFSPRING MAKE", mindless crap. But thats what this is about, this a web board. But the MOMENT someone dares to bring up God in the boards, he gets an astronomical amount of grief. This is a board, we talk about everything else, so skip over the thread if you dont wanna hear it.

And as for Trek and the rest of you jerks giving this guy crap, go smoke a pole you immature fucks. I give this guy ALOT of credit for posting this. I only HOPE that Dexter comes out as some huge Bible thumper just to chap all of your asses.

Trek
12-22-2008, 10:31 AM
You know what? In the boards, we talk about EVERYTHING. " POST YOUR FAVORITE OFFSPRING PICTURE ", " HOW MANY MORE ALBUMS WILL THE OFFSPRING MAKE", mindless crap. But thats what this is about, this a web board. But the MOMENT someone dares to bring up God in the boards, he gets an astronomical amount of grief. This is a board, we talk about everything else, so skip over the thread if you dont wanna hear it.

And as for Trek and the rest of you jerks giving this guy crap, go smoke a pole you immature fucks. I give this guy ALOT of credit for posting this. I only HOPE that Dexter comes out as some huge Bible thumper just to chap all of your asses.

You wish!Well fuck you, good for you if you like this crap! Btw tell me one thing, how many people have died and are dieing every day because of their dumb god. You probably see the new albums artwork too as the jesus crist itself is insteed of the chained angel. Good for you! !"#peace#"!

metalmania
12-22-2008, 10:48 AM
i think:offspring is a pop-punk band and if christianity culture is pop-punk so offspring can be a christian band :D :p :D:cool:

Thomas
12-22-2008, 10:50 AM
This thread is so full of fail, it's not even funny.

metalmania
12-22-2008, 10:52 AM
This thread is so full of fail, it's not even funny.
ok dude,relax ;)

rlplaymaker
12-22-2008, 11:21 AM
You wish!Well fuck you, good for you if you like this crap! Btw tell me one thing, how many people have died and are dieing every day because of their dumb god. You probably see the new albums artwork too as the jesus crist itself is insteed of the chained angel. Good for you! !"#peace#"!

well first off, I think its just SUPER that the special needs home that you live in lets you use the internet. Super. Secondly, dude you don't even know what my views are. My point was the whole fact that God was brought up in the matter causes everyone to attack the poster, kinda like you just did here. Its a board, don't attack people becuase of their views, thats why the world is such a shitty place. In the meantime, enjoy Estonia before someone else takes it over again.

Rooster
12-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Dear thread creator:

1. What were you smoking, because that must have been some strong shit...
2. Can you get me some of that shit?
*3. Why on earth was this bump neccessary?
4. Goddammit, get me the shit you were smoking, and fast!!!

*indicates the point that wasn't aimed at the thread creator

Cock Joke
12-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Who added that fuckin' shit tag down there!? You know which one I'm talking about!

Rooster
12-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Who added that fuckin' shit tag down there!? You know which one I'm talking about!

"even god hates..." tag? Same person as "salad market crisis" tag in sell-out thread :D

anyway it was meant to be a joke...

edit: changed the tag, someone might take it in the wrong way...

Cock Joke
12-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Oh, ok then. Never mind.

Trek
12-22-2008, 02:04 PM
well first off, I think its just SUPER that the special needs home that you live in lets you use the internet. Super. Secondly, dude you don't even know what my views are. My point was the whole fact that God was brought up in the matter causes everyone to attack the poster, kinda like you just did here. Its a board, don't attack people becuase of their views, thats why the world is such a shitty place. In the meantime, enjoy Estonia before someone else takes it over again.

Lol i don't attack noone.I just critisize, because I'm so amazed how people dare to come with religious talk.
Getting personal Chicago goes to Americas top with fat people? Cut the offtopic will we btw? Pm me if you can't get a the satisfaction. I'ld be glad to develope my English and political view.

Jojan
12-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Religion is bad for everyone.

double-you tee eff?

It should be double-jew.

the Mota Boy
12-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Lol i don't attack noone.I just critisize, because I'm so amazed how people dare to come with religious talk.
Getting personal Chicago goes to Americas top with fat people? Cut the offtopic will we btw? Pm me if you can't get a the satisfaction. I'ld be glad to develope my English and political view.

I like how a guy comes here with a passion for something and you tear him to shreds. I found the thread to be very well written and being a Christian I find it interesting that I share a lot of the same thoughts and questions with the OP.

You need to get your head out of your ass. Atheism is not synonymous with Punk. Even Dexter would tell you that.

PS (To one of the other posters)
Christians aren't magically bound to any specific code of language. We're perfectly capable of pointing out idiots for being the fucking retards that they are.

rlplaymaker
12-23-2008, 02:45 PM
I like how a guy comes here with a passion for something and you tear him to shreds. I found the thread to be very well written and being a Christian I find it interesting that I share a lot of the same thoughts and questions with the OP.

You need to get your head out of your ass. Atheism is not synonymous with Punk. Even Dexter would tell you that.

Christians aren't magically bound to any specific code of language. We're perfectly capable of pointing out idiots for being the fucking retards that they are.

Well said, dude. Well said.

StupidDumbShit
12-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Bad Habit is actually a Christian allegory for the Crucifixion of Jesus.

StupidDumbShit
12-23-2008, 04:34 PM
btw i cant stand seeing how all u dicks just lash out against this guy for having any sort of free thought.

last time I checked, the bill of rights lets us have the freedom of speech and religion. We have freedom of religion, not freedom from it. godamnit let the kid share his views.

btw. although i don't fully agree with your interpretations haveyouever, i did certainly enjoy reading your post.

Budzy
12-23-2008, 05:40 PM
I know I've crapped on about deeper meanings in the lyrics and stuff, but I'm starting to doubt whether Dexter actually means anything other than what is first obvious. He probably just sits here with a nice glass of wine every now and then, reads some of these post crapping on about God and all that, and gets a good kick out of it.

"Hehehe, stupid fuckers, I just wrote that 'cos it sounded good."

Little_Miss_1565
12-23-2008, 07:04 PM
btw i cant stand seeing how all u dicks just lash out against this guy for having any sort of free thought.

last time I checked, the bill of rights lets us have the freedom of speech and religion. We have freedom of religion, not freedom from it. godamnit let the kid share his views.

btw. although i don't fully agree with your interpretations haveyouever, i did certainly enjoy reading your post.

Correction: we have both the freedom OF and FROM religion.

Anyway. No one is criticizing him for his religious views, only trying to force them where they clearly were not intended to go. Free speech doesn't shield you from criticism.

disclaimer_07
12-24-2008, 05:18 AM

Quoted for truth.

Quoted for truth.

Quoted for truth.

It's not about his interpretation, it's all about the fact that he brought God into discussion. Anyone who dares mention God in this forum always ends up getting a raw deal for that. I really don't understand why there is so much hatred in you people for Christians. Then again, I don't get why many of you still even "celebrate" Christmas, it's a religious holiday after all.

disclaimer_07
12-24-2008, 05:47 AM
Correction: we have both the freedom OF and FROM religion.

Nah, I guess you misunderstood him, "freedom from religion" as in "no religious people". I believe you're thinking about "freedom from religion" as in "I can be an atheist if I want to".

Rooster
12-24-2008, 06:41 AM
Well, i just find it funny how he can find very religious meanings in those songs. Sure, someone can personally relate to a song and everyone can find their own meaning in a song, but i don't think that every deep line in some song has a connection to God. I mean, even non-religious pesons ask themselves about why they are feeling empty and so on, and God doesn't have to be the answer to that. It could be simply a lost love or something. I think that guy has completely over-analysed those lyrics.

Now about my view on turning to god to find some inner meaning of your life and thus making yourself better (this was mentioned too on the previous pages if i'm not mistaken)

I was born Christian, but as a kid i didn't believe in God. Later for some years i found faith, but for the last couple of years i lost it again, and i have a good reason. Christians say that God has some "master plan" with us, and we shall listen to him and everything would be good. BULLSHIT! My mother had cancer, my grandfather had cancer (luckilly everything is right with them now, they've been successfully cured), there are a lot of family problems within my family. Not to mention many people i know who had (or still have) cancer, one of them being a 14 year old girl (a sister of someone i know) who has been diagnosed with the worst form of leukemia and has no hope of being cured. Tell me, what master plan this is? Bringing suffer to the people? We used to regulary go to church and pray, but God (who in my opinion doesn't even exist) was only, sorry for harsh expression, fucking us over. I didn't mention all our problems, it's too complicated.

Personally, instead of turning to God i turn to people i love and trust. Kind people i know are kind because of themselves, not because they would turn to God. In fact, people that consider themselves religious and "turn to God" are in my experience the most greedy and envious i know, at least in the place i live.

So i'm sorry, but i don't want to be told that God is also in the lyrics of one of my favorite bands. If he could express his opinion about the situation, well this is mine.

edit: And about celebration of Christmas, well i have nothing against it. It's that time of the year that people gather together, a time for joy and happiness. This means celebrating Christmas to me, the fact that it's connected to religion doesn't bother me nor is it important to me. It's also a tradition.

On the side note, the day we celebrate Christmas now was in the past (many centuries ago) a day when pagans celebrated the winter solstice, and church later changed it to celebrate Jesuses birth, because they wanted to make a conversion from paganism to christianity easier for people. Christ was born around march in reality. So we probably would celebrate this day wether christianity would rule or not...

rlplaymaker
12-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Well, i just find it funny how he can find very religious meanings in those songs. Sure, someone can personally relate to a song and everyone can find their own meaning in a song, but i don't think that every deep line in some song has a connection to God. I mean, even non-religious pesons ask themselves about why they are feeling empty and so on, and God doesn't have to be the answer to that. It could be simply a lost love or something. I think that guy has completely over-analysed those lyrics.

Now about my view on turning to god to find some inner meaning of your life and thus making yourself better (this was mentioned too on the previous pages if i'm not mistaken)

I was born Christian, but as a kid i didn't believe in God. Later for some years i found faith, but for the last couple of years i lost it again, and i have a good reason. Christians say that God has some "master plan" with us, and we shall listen to him and everything would be good. BULLSHIT! My mother had cancer, my grandfather had cancer (luckilly everything is right with them now, they've been successfully cured), there are a lot of family problems within my family. Not to mention many people i know who had (or still have) cancer, one of them being a 14 year old girl (a sister of someone i know) who has been diagnosed with the worst form of leukemia and has no hope of being cured. Tell me, what master plan this is? Bringing suffer to the people? We used to regulary go to church and pray, but God (who in my opinion doesn't even exist) was only, sorry for harsh expression, fucking us over. I didn't mention all our problems, it's too complicated.

Personally, instead of turning to God i turn to people i love and trust. Kind people i know are kind because of themselves, not because they would turn to God. In fact, people that consider themselves religious and "turn to God" are in my experience the most greedy and envious i know, at least in the place i live.

So i'm sorry, but i don't want to be told that God is also in the lyrics of one of my favorite bands. If he could express his opinion about the situation, well this is mine.

edit: And about celebration of Christmas, well i have nothing against it. It's that time of the year that people gather together, a time for joy and happiness. This means celebrating Christmas to me, the fact that it's connected to religion doesn't bother me nor is it important to me. It's also a tradition.

On the side note, the day we celebrate Christmas now was in the past (many centuries ago) a day when pagans celebrated the winter solstice, and church later changed it to celebrate Jesuses birth, because they wanted to make a conversion from paganism to christianity easier for people. Christ was born around march in reality. So we probably would celebrate this day wether christianity would rule or not...

I'm a Christian, but I can respect your stance. Just wanted to say I hope everything gets a little better for ya buddy.

disclaimer_07
12-24-2008, 07:36 AM
I never claimed God was in all of the Offspring lyrics. And perhaps the person who started this thread went a bit too far, but still, it was just their own interpretation. But there are at least two obvious references to God/religion in their songs I can think of right now:

Lightning Rod - "He will strike me" (I read "He" as "God")

Gone Away - "I reach to the sky, and call out your name, and if I could trade, I would" (it may imply that the narrator believes there's something "above"), and also, "Hail Mary's" from the same song is somewhat religion-related.

Dexter says "God" in a couple more, but I'm just focusing on the serious songs, cause he even is "making deals with God" in The Worst Hangover Ever.

Those are just simple facts, you can't deny them. And I'm not saying that The Offspring are a Christian band, that's their personal thing, I'm only pointing out the undeniable references.

I also respect what you said, Raptor88, that's your opinion. And I do hope everything gets better and better for you. :)

Trek
12-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Yep truth is , when "god" is mentioned it doesn't make the band christian. Merry xmas btw.

Rooster
12-24-2008, 08:30 AM
I'm a Christian, but I can respect your stance. Just wanted to say I hope everything gets a little better for ya buddy.

Thank you, and i respect yours. I'm sure that Christians like those who live where i do are just the minority (but they really are greedy, and they go to church just so that they would seem more "important", and they always spread bad word about anyone who they don't like, but those are usually lies). I also hope that everything would somehow turn good for that girl and her family, although i think there is no hope :(. Doctors tried everything, but nothing helped. Things like these make me wonder if God exists. If you believe in God, that's allright, and if it makes you happy that's even better. It just doesn't work for me any more.

I never claimed God was in all of the Offspring lyrics. And perhaps the person who started this thread went a bit too far, but still, it was just their own interpretation. But there are at least two obvious references to God/religion in their songs I can think of right now:

Gone Away - "I reach to the sky, and call out your name, and if I could trade, I would" (it may imply that the narrator believes there's something "above"), and also, "Hail Mary's" from the same song is somewhat religion-related.

Dexter says "God" in a couple more, but I'm just focusing on the serious songs, cause he even is "making deals with God" in The Worst Hangover Ever.

Those are just simple facts, you can't deny them. And I'm not saying that The Offspring are a Christian band, that's their personal thing, I'm only pointing out the undeniable references.

I also respect what you said, Raptor88, that's your opinion. And I do hope everything gets better and better for you. :)

Wel, you're right, in certain cases it really seems so. But i don't think that it is so in the songs he mentioned.

And things are slowly turning better for me (if nothing else, i finally have a band!). The fact that both my mother and grandfather were successfully healed is encouraging (they still go to doctors for tests regulary, but my mum has been healthy for 5 years and grandfather for 1 year now, they didn't even need chemotherapy, only surgery). I hope this is a sign that better times are comming :)

I apologise for being a bit harsh when i gave my opinion, but this thread brought back all the bad memories to my mind...

TRoffspring
12-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Yep truth is , when "god" is mentioned it doesn't make the band christian. Merry xmas btw.

Exactly!..
Many bands use the word "God" in thier lyrics...doesnt make them christians or a christian band,
only makes them a christian band if it's in the context of thier beliefs ect

jacknife737
12-24-2008, 08:50 AM
This entire thread is just one giant facepalm.The purpose of this thread was not to determine whether or not Dexter and company were atheists or Christians, but rather to argue that in fact they were a "Christian Band" (ie a band that has a specific agenda of only singing about religious themes, ect), which is just fucking stupid. The original poster got a large amount of (deserved) flack for starting this thread, because it was a stupid idea, not because he was a Christian, or whatever.

SweetTatyana
12-24-2008, 09:42 AM

Yeah, I can see what you are saying here but I just want to look at it a different way for a second. Do you think perhaps, Dexter is mentioning God not out of personal belief but more to what it means in society, to really protray the feelings of the song? Similarly in Gone Away, reaching to the sky and screaming out the name of a beloved deceased gives a really clear mental image of the pain and anguish trying to be described by the song. With the mention of hail mary's too, I mean, everyone knows what that is, and he uses it in content of like black roses and hail mary's can't make him feel better that he's lost this person. I think because God is a very common topic in society, it is easy that God or other religions symbols/acts like prayer get into songs but I dont feel like Dexter uses it in a way to show that its meaningful to him, more like a lyrical tool to protray a message.

Sorry if that is messed up or scrambled, I am very hungover lol

disclaimer_07
12-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I can see what you are saying here but I just want to look at it a different way for a second. Do you think perhaps, Dexter is mentioning God not out of personal belief but more to what it means in society, to really protray the feelings of the song? Similarly in Gone Away, reaching to the sky and screaming out the name of a beloved deceased gives a really clear mental image of the pain and anguish trying to be described by the song. With the mention of hail mary's too, I mean, everyone knows what that is, and he uses it in content of like black roses and hail mary's can't make him feel better that he's lost this person. I think because God is a very common topic in society, it is easy that God or other religions symbols/acts like prayer get into songs but I dont feel like Dexter uses it in a way to show that its meaningful to him, more like a lyrical tool to protray a message.

Sorry if that is messed up or scrambled, I am very hungover lol

Yeah, that pretty much makes sense. I never said The Offspring were a Christian band anyway. Saying "God" or referring to "God" doesn't instantly make anyone religious. If it were so, then anyone who says "OMG" and alike should be seen as religious. Which personally, as a Christian, I consider profanity.

metalmania
12-24-2008, 12:17 PM
wow i see that people can till about this strange and boring subject!!!! relegion and music?hehe its so comic how can you harmonize these terms? so there is no relegion in music( except church singers :D ) anyway i said that if christianity is a pop-punk culture;maybe offspring can be a christian band ;) :D

Rooster
12-24-2008, 01:00 PM
wow i see that people can till about this strange and boring subject!!!! relegion and music?hehe its so comic how can you harmonize these terms? so there is no relegion in music( except church singers :D ) anyway i said that if christianity is a pop-punk culture;maybe offspring can be a christian band ;) :D

Click this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_rock)

Little_Miss_1565
12-24-2008, 01:10 PM

Christian rock, punk, whatever, can have the outward signifiers and trappings of punk but by definition cannot actually be punk itself. You can look punk rock in church, but facial piercing and bondage pants do not make you truly punk. Distorted guitars and three-chord songs do not make you truly punk. Just as mentioning God a few times in songs doesn't make you truly Christian. There's a whole series of beliefs that go along with both structures that are not exactly compatible.

And, as it's been mentioned numerous times, this thread was not about the believability or not of religion, it was about this person coming in and saying that the Offspring is a Christian band based on very tenuous arguments. And yes, we have free speech so people are free to express their feelings about religion, whether it's positivity or anger.

And seriously, any further discussion on this that has nothing to do with the band -- and I think all angles having to do with the band have been covered a few times already each in this thread -- and it'll have to be moved to Politics.

metalmania
12-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Christian rock, punk, whatever, can have the outward signifiers and trappings of punk but by definition cannot actually be punk itself. You can look punk rock in church, but facial piercing and bondage pants do not make you truly punk. Distorted guitars and three-chord songs do not make you truly punk. Just as mentioning God a few times in songs doesn't make you truly Christian. There's a whole series of beliefs that go along with both structures that are not exactly compatible.

And, as it's been mentioned numerous times, this thread was not about the believability or not of religion, it was about this person coming in and saying that the Offspring is a Christian band based on very tenuous arguments. And yes, we have free speech so people are free to express their feelings about religion, whether it's positivity or anger.

And seriously, any further discussion on this that has nothing to do with the band -- and I think all angles having to do with the band have been covered a few times already each in this thread -- and it'll have to be moved to Politics.
your ideas re ok and it seems a clever view anyway yes i think punk is the sound of philosophy of anarchism and these arguments terms against the relegious dogmas ;) (i guess offspring was a punk band but now pop-punk band)but yep everybody's free what does everybody want to beleive?;)

Free?
12-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Brrbrrbrrbrr...
To me it looks that everyone's over reacting about metalmania's joke.

if christianity is a pop-punk culture;maybe offspring can be a christian band
This one. It wasn't a serious statement, but metalmania's English is quite specific and sometimes it's difficult to understand what he just wrote (at least for me) so a misunderstood joke can start few pages discussion.

Cock Joke
12-24-2008, 08:59 PM
so a misunderstood joke can start few pages discussion.

You can say that again.

metalmania
12-25-2008, 06:39 AM
Brrbrrbrrbrr...
To me it looks that everyone's over reacting about metalmania's joke.

This one. It wasn't a serious statement, but metalmania's English is quite specific and sometimes it's difficult to understand what he just wrote (at least for me) so a misunderstood joke can start few pages discussion.
yeah when i write here ; im living difficult times, sometimes cause its the foreign language for me ;) my ideas re same about christianity and offspring.;) c ya

rlplaymaker
12-25-2008, 08:42 AM
your ideas re ok and it seems a clever view anyway yes i think punk is the sound of philosophy of anarchism and these arguments terms against the relegious dogmas ;) (i guess offspring was a punk band but now pop-punk band)but yep everybody's free what does everybody want to beleive?;)

IF punk is just about Philosophy and Anarchism , then the Offspring clearly are not a punk band.

metalmania
12-25-2008, 08:51 AM
IF punk is just about Philosophy and Anarchism , then the Offspring clearly are not a punk band.
hm not just philosophy!philosophy of anarchism!anyway i think offspring is a pop-punk band and you can see it in their albums like pretty fly song,prankstar song and new album's songs..... but i respect everyone's view ;) so i guess everybody can say about whats the offspring(christian band or not) i just cant join this idea

IamSam
12-25-2008, 11:56 PM
I like the fact that once someone caused this thread to resurrect from the dead (lolz Jesus joke) it got way more attention than it really had originally. The topic is dead/moot/stupid/etc. I mean...we all know they aren't a Christian band because they were anti-Bush and Noodles without a doubt voted Obama. And remember class, Obama isn't a Christian.

There is literally a ton of sarcasm in here. Don't take me literally.

Budzy
12-26-2008, 12:32 AM
I like the fact that once someone caused this thread to resurrect from the dead (lolz Jesus joke) it got way more attention than it really had originally. The topic is dead/moot/stupid/etc. I mean...we all know they aren't a Christian band because they were anti-Bush and Noodles without a doubt voted Obama. And remember class, Obama isn't a Christian.

There is literally a ton of sarcasm in here. Don't take me literally.

Well the thread was created years ago, before half of the people on these forums became members, like myself, so I can understand why the topic is getting dicussed again although the thread was already dead, but yeah, I think all this Christian bullshit is just that, bullshit, and I'm Christian.

Jojan
12-27-2008, 05:05 PM
In Fix You Dexter sing "Allah-la-la".

Rooster
12-27-2008, 05:14 PM
In Fix You Dexter sing "Allah-la-la".

NO SHIT! In Stuff Is Messed Up he sings that too!!!!!1!!1!11!1

metalmania
12-27-2008, 05:48 PM
i think that this thread is just a joke cause these argues just empty!!!! so goodbye ;):p

Gayman
12-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Well...isn't Noodles jewish?

D0Kl3_th3_PUNK
12-28-2008, 02:21 PM

dont be dissing peoples god just because of whaqt you think. there is a thing i like to call cooth. try it sometime. it helps. I think the offspring may be a christian band because they have some refrences to the bible and stuff. Such as Psalms 23:4
"I wealk through the valley of death for thou art with me" in hammerhead. and even if they are christian would that be a good reason to hate the offspring?
I don't know... just thinking.
It kinda :(:confused::mad::p

Free?
12-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Yea though I walk through the valley of the
shadow of death, I will fear no evil:
for Thou art with me
Locked and loaded
Gonna find my truth
Now I’m busting through
All hell breaks loose

And you can all hide behind your desks now
And you can cry, ‘teacher come help me!’
Through you all
My aim is true
Dude, read the whole lyrics part. It's not about praising Bible, it's about using words from Bible to cover/justify your dirty works. Seriously...

Tonight I will pray for this thread to be closed.

Budzy
12-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Dude, read the whole lyrics part. It's not about praising Bible, it's about using words from Bible to cover/justify your dirty works. Seriously...

Tonight I will pray for this thread to be closed.

Free?, A Christian Member? Theoretical

Free?
12-29-2008, 03:01 AM
Free?, A Christian Member? Theoretical

I'm not a Christian, I lost my doubts right now when I'm seeing this thread isn't closed yet after all my prayers during teeth brushing. God doesn't exist!

hangovered
12-29-2008, 03:08 AM
God doesn't exist!-said Free?
Free? doesn't exist. Any more.- said God;)

If someone find christian texts in Off songs than imo he's the person who finds Christianty in everything or he really wants to reconicle two things that don't usually goes together-punk and Christianity. Knowing Bible doesn't mean someone is Christian,right?

disclaimer_07
12-29-2008, 03:21 AM
If someone find christian texts in Off songs than imo he's the person who finds Christianty in everything or he really wants to reconicle two things that don't usually goes together-punk and Christianity. Knowing Bible doesn't mean someone is Christian,right?

Yeah, knowing The Bible doesn't make you Christian. You have to believe in what is written there.

And to the ones I'm pointing at, if all you can do is mock religion and insult Christians, then please let this thread die.

Budzy
12-29-2008, 06:02 AM
Yeah, knowing The Bible doesn't make you Christian. You have to believe in what is written there.

And to the ones I'm pointing at, if all you can do is mock religion and insult Christians, then please let this thread die.

But who ARE you pointing at? Now THAT, is a question.

EDIT: And this thread won't die, it will rise again, in accordance with the scriptures.