PDA

View Full Version : Do you think?

DeAtHsTaR
02-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Do you think The Offspring will have a resurgence of popularity? I think they will. I mean, look at the facts.

-They played the Warped Tour, probably got some fans there.
-Can't Repeat was the theme song of the Dew Action Sports Tour on tv.
- Angels and Airwaves shares a member, so that might direct some more poeple to Offspring.
-Steady Ground is really good and will probably get a lot of fans, and people will likely listen to The Offspring because Ron Welty used to be with them.

Hux
02-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Not really. They might get a very small percentage but definately nowhere near anything like Smash.

peko
02-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Possibly. But I highly doubt it. The facts you named are little and insignificant, that probably won't contribute at all to a regain of popularity. They've always been doing things like that.

Teemu
02-26-2006, 02:13 PM
-Steady Ground is really good and will probably get a lot of fans, and people will likely listen to The Offspring because Ron Welty used to be with them.

how do you know that? did you listen to some song??? :confused:

edit: oh.. just found out myspace :)

DeAtHsTaR
02-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Possibly. But I highly doubt it. The facts you named are little and insignificant, that probably won't contribute at all to a regain of popularity. They've always been doing things like that.
Since when have they been doing things like that?

jacknife737
02-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Well Green Day did the same thing after Warning was released, the Warped Tour, and a Greatest Hits, and look what happened to them.

Llamas
02-26-2006, 04:59 PM
yeah but green day didn't hit it huge cause of that... they hit it huge cause they made an album that was specifically directed to shock everyone and they promoted it like mad and acted like a bunch of dicks. if the offspring did that, I'd be so pissed. And I don't want the offspring to get huge again. I don't want their concerts to be full of 13 year olds who only know their new singles, and their tickets to cost $50... that would suck :-/

nameless
02-26-2006, 05:39 PM
i cant see them repeating previous success, although i would love it if they did!

pretty_fly_white_guy858
02-26-2006, 05:48 PM
I hope not. I dont want them to get popular. I just want them to make great music so I can buy it.

Original prankstA
02-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Do you think The Offspring will have a resurgence of popularity? I think they will. I mean, look at the facts.

-They played the Warped Tour, probably got some fans there.
-Can't Repeat was the theme song of the Dew Action Sports Tour on tv.
- Angels and Airwaves shares a member, so that might direct some more poeple to Offspring.
i agree it's already kinda happened to my school, so many kids went to warped tour and act like offspring is their favorite band but it's sad cause they aren't true offspring fans, they are just overwelmed by songs like all i want and come out and play and none of them have a username here

Jakebert
02-26-2006, 05:54 PM
The Offspring most likely won't get big again, but it is a possibility if one of 2 things happen.

1.) The band buckles down and makes the best album that they've ever made in their entire career. I don't see this happening at all. Splinter was a step in the right direction, but I feel there's too many jokey songs left in them, plus Can't Repeat sucked.

The main problem is that critics hate the Offspring, and that has a lot to do with popularity. If critics like it a lot and it gets a huge reception, the rest of the industry will follow, at least with an established act. But in order to get that, they'd have to say goodbye to joke songs and record a serious album without being formulaic and predictable, which they haven't been able to do for some time now.

2.) They record another novelty song that gets huge becuase of stupid dumbasses who like those kinds of things. With songs like "The Worst Hangover Ever" on their most recent album, this could happen.

Llamas
02-26-2006, 06:09 PM
jakebert has it right. I'm glad you don't like can't repeat. I think it's a shitty song, and I was very disappointed when they released it... so generic. There are two extremes. They could either release a gem of an album to please us- the real fans, or they could release a gem of an album to please the music industry. The former would be an album that was pointed in the direction by "the noose" "never gonna find me" "head around you" "race against myself" and "lightning rod"... the latter would be one directed by "worst hangover" "hit that" and "spare me the details". I'd rather a great album for the real fans that doesn't do that well in the media...

Jakebert
02-26-2006, 07:35 PM
But I think if they were to do another great, solid album the media would notice because they did with Smash, which was their last great album. (I like Ixnay, but it had a lot of generic sounding stuff, so I understand that it wasn't recieved well by critics.)

I've said this a bunch of times on here, but I'll say it again because I have nothing better to do: I just don't think they have it in them anymore to make something like Smash which is really fresh and outstanding. Even the good songs on Splinter didn't have that same spark that the older stuff did.

But, I hope they prove me wrong.

Llamas
02-26-2006, 07:58 PM
I think that they did two good things on splinter that could potential lead to a successful next album: experimentation, and heavy alt rock songs (which is kind of stemmed from experimentation). The problem was, most of the experimentation was with stupid things, like reggae, hard fast repetative punk, acoustic sounds, and 1920s music. The songs like "the noose", "never gonna find me" and "head around you" are great, but they're nothing new. They've done those songs forever. race against myself and lighting rod were new. They didn't have songs on older albums that had that slow, heavy rock feel. That was a great move in experimentation.

Basically, what they need to do is make this next one experimental in a GOOD way. Don't experiment with jokey- fun songs. If they just make another album of "the noose", they're just gonna end up with another generic "already been done" album. I love those songs, but they've done 7 albums, and the last three sounded the same. It's time for some new ideas. I think if they did some of that, they'd have a great shot.

Jakebert
02-26-2006, 08:12 PM
If they put another "Race Against Myself" song on an album, I will have lost faith in them. That song is the single most formulaic song they've ever done, except for maybe "Denial, Revisited", which was utter garbage, and I usually love ballads when they're done well.

It's not that the good songs weren't anything really new, because neither was Smash, they were just good songs that had something to them that I can really figure out. With the newer albums, that something seems to be absent. Even CO1, as bad as it was, could have been fairly decent if that was there.

The next album just has to be a good album. It doesn't have to be anything hugely experimental or anything, it just has to have really good songs, even if they are just simple punk tracks.

Hux
02-26-2006, 08:15 PM
If they put another "Race Against Myself" song on an album, I will have lost faith in them. That song is the single most formulaic song they've ever done, except for maybe "Denial, Revisited", which was utter garbage, and I usually love ballads when they're done well.
They're like my favourite on both albums. Lots of people like them, you're just probably one of those people who hate slow songs. The lyrics are also really meaningful and the way Dexter sings it.

Jakebert
02-26-2006, 08:25 PM
and I usually love ballads when they're done well

I like slow songs if they're done right and in an interesting way. For example, my favorite band is R.E.M., a band famous for it's slow ballads, because they arn't cheesy and cliched.

"Denial, Revisited" sounds like it could be on an Ashlee Simpson CD and the lyrics are really, really bad. It sounds like dialouge out of a bad teen romance movie.

"Race Against Myself" sounds like every other generic post-grunge band to come out since 2000, and it makes me sad that the Offspring would put such crap on an album. The slower tempo doesn't sound natural, and just drags the whole thing down.

Llamas
02-26-2006, 08:28 PM

It's not that the good songs weren't anything really new, because neither was Smash, they were just good songs that had something to them that I can really figure out. With the newer albums, that something seems to be absent. Even CO1, as bad as it was, could have been fairly decent if that was there.

The next album just has to be a good album. It doesn't have to be anything hugely experimental or anything, it just has to have really good songs, even if they are just simple punk tracks.

now I disagree with you... how were either of those songs formulaic? And how are their "simple punk tracks" not formulaic? I like denial and I like race... I think both songs are very well done- especially race.
are there any slow offspring songs you like?

If they release another album like ignition, the fans might like it, but it wouldn't be publicly embraced... and it wouldn't be the direction they're heading.

smash was considerably different from their first two albums... the jump from ignition to smash was probably the greatest gap in their musical career.

Jakebert
02-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Dirty Magic, Amazed, and Gone Away (that one really isn't slow, but it could count in that category if you wanted it to) were really good songs.

I alreayd explained both of those in the posts above, and if you don't see how those songs are formulaic, then listen to them and then go watch MTV or Fuse. See how every song by bands like TRAPT and Puddle of Mudd have songs that sound so much like "Race Against Myself", then listen to the corny overdone sappiness of "Denial, Revisited". Seriously, those songs rank among the worst things they've ever done.

Jakebert
02-26-2006, 08:35 PM
And yes, the punk rock is fairly formulaic, but the Offspring can and have made that interesting on a lot of different occasions, they've failed to do that with that crappy straight-forward "alterna-rock".

And when I mean an album full of good punk rock songs, I ment like Smash, not Ignition. Ignition does not hold up as well as it gets boring after a while because the songs are just plain weaker.

Ninty Man
02-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Men, Can't Repeat rules, and it's technically thje answer to this thread... they won't be the same again, their best time has passed

Conspiracy and Splinter were good albums, but with factual mistakes that made the band flop

Sinister
02-26-2006, 08:41 PM
I don't think they'll ever be super big again. but maybe it's better that way.

Llamas
02-26-2006, 08:54 PM
jakebert, amazed and dirty magic aren't slow... especially not amazed.

gone away is the slowest of those three...

come to think of it, they don't really have slow songs... denial, ram, and lightning rod are the only truly slow songs... I retract my question about slow offspring songs.

Hux
02-26-2006, 10:28 PM
... lightning rod are the only truly slow songs...
Lightning Rod isn't a slow song, it has some "slowish" parts in the song but that wouldn't classify it slow.

Ninty Man
02-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Lightning Rod isn't a slow song, it has some "slowish" parts in the song but that wouldn't classify it slow.

Lightning rod slow???

and Worst hangover it's a punk song

Hux
02-26-2006, 10:36 PM
The Worst Hangover Ever is a pop song without doubt...at least the music is.

Llamas
02-26-2006, 10:41 PM
worst hangover is pretty slow... and lightning rod is slow if you listen to the tempo... at points they go into cut time so it SOUNDS faster, but it's really a slow song if you tap out the tempo...

Ninty Man
02-26-2006, 10:42 PM
worst hangover is pretty slow... and lightning rod is slow if you listen to the tempo... at points they go into cut time so it SOUNDS faster, but it's really a slow song if you tap out the tempo...

MMM, well, If you think that

Llamas
02-26-2006, 10:45 PM
umm seriously... the bpm of that song is around 85. That's damn slow. Of course, when they go into cut time, it's 170... but that's just cause it's in cut. Fact is, 85 is a very slow tempo... Andante is always considered pretty slow...

Ninty Man
02-26-2006, 10:46 PM
umm seriously... the bpm of that song is around 85. That's damn slow. Of course, when they go into cut time, it's 170... but that's just cause it's in cut. Fact is, 85 is a very slow tempo... Andante is always considered pretty slow...

Again, if you think that

Llamas
02-26-2006, 10:47 PM
what the fuck? that's a fact.

saying it's not a fact that lightning rod is around 85 bpm and saying that 85 bpm is not Andante and saying that Andante is a not a musical term that means "slow"... is as ridiculously ignorant as saying that the world is not round.

Ninty Man
02-26-2006, 10:49 PM
what the fuck? that's a fact.

saying it's not a fact that lightning rod is around 85 bpm and saying that 85 bpm is not Andante and saying that Andante is a not a musical term that means "slow"... is as ridiculously ignorant as saying that the world is not round.

The world It's not round, it's a little bit ovale

Hux
02-26-2006, 10:49 PM

Again, if you think that
Dude, if that's true, it's statistics, you have to agree with it.

Though I can see what you mean because it sounds fast.

Llamas
02-26-2006, 10:52 PM
The world It's not round, it's a little bit ovale

"round" does not mean that it's a sphere. Of course the world isn't a perfect circle. Round just means it's not a straight line. Yes, the world is in fact ROUND. You're really bad at retorting my point... and Hux is right. I can understand maybe thinking it sounds like it's fast, but only because the drums pick up to cut time, and dexter sings quickly over the slow music.

Hux
02-26-2006, 10:54 PM
"round" does not mean that it's a sphere. Of course the world isn't a perfect circle. Round just means it's not a straight line. Yes, the world is in fact ROUND. You're really bad at retorting my point
Ninty Man, you got owned.

Ninty Man
02-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Ninty Man, you got owned.

Men... IM tired and I have a badass stomachache, do you think I really care about this guy tells???

Hux
02-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Your grammar is terrible also making your sentence hard to understand who it is directed to and who you are talking about.

Try again if you wish...

Llamas
02-26-2006, 11:14 PM
he was telling you... asking you if you think he cares what I say (and I'm not a guy). He couldn't possibly come up with a comeback (even though he's been trying to retort everything I've said up to this point...) so he totally copped out and said "oh boo hoo! I lost the argument, so I don't CARE what you say because I have a tummyache!"

Hux
02-26-2006, 11:17 PM
he was telling you... asking you if you think he cares what I say (and I'm not a guy).
I thought so, but when he said guy I got confused because I know your a girl.

He couldn't possibly come up with a comeback (even though he's been trying to retort everything I've said up to this point...) so he totally copped out and said "oh boo hoo! I lost the argument, so I don't CARE what you say because I have a tummyache!"
Haha, nicely said.

Jakebert
02-27-2006, 01:01 PM

Yeah the bpm is slow when you look at it technically, but just listen to the song and you'll see that the bpm really doesn't slow it down at all. Especially if it's played in cut time.

Anyway, it's not what the song is written on paper that matters, it's how the band plays it, and it's in no way a slow song.

Jakebert
02-27-2006, 01:03 PM
The Worst Hangover Ever is a pop song without doubt...at least the music is.

It's reggae and ska. That's different than pop. Either way, I can't stand it because it just wasn't a good song, but yeah, it's not straight out pop.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-27-2006, 01:05 PM
I hope not. I dont want them to get popular. I just want them to make great music so I can buy it.

I want them to sell albums, be somewhere on MTV and stuff, but not all over it where it gets played 24/7.

Hux
02-27-2006, 02:12 PM
I want them to sell albums, be somewhere on MTV and stuff, but not all over it where it gets played 24/7.
Yeah, I'd want that too.

Ninty Man
02-27-2006, 09:14 PM
he was telling you... asking you if you think he cares what I say (and I'm not a guy). He couldn't possibly come up with a comeback (even though he's been trying to retort everything I've said up to this point...) so he totally copped out and said "oh boo hoo! I lost the argument, so I don't CARE what you say because I have a tummyache!"

I was trying to said:

I WAS OWNED, so...???