PDA

View Full Version : Offspring should advertise more

jovidexter4life
12-09-2004, 10:42 AM
You all i hear now a days is Green Day this other punk rock bands that. I mean the Offspring has been around for so many years and have so many hits but they cant contend with Green Day because they dont go on MTV or any station to promote there new cd. I mean if they were more public about there new cd's they would be doing alot better right now. I hope if/when they come out with a new cd they advertise like hell and get the word out. I think they lost there popularity from 2 songs. why dont you get a job and pretty fly. What are you opinions on this topic :confused:

jovidexter4life
12-09-2004, 10:44 AM
sorry for all the typos i didnt read it over shit!

addiepauluk
12-09-2004, 11:24 AM
well it aint gona happen. Dexters said in so many interviews that the offspring dont like all this publicity, and some girl/guy (soz can't remember) posted an old interview earlier and dexter said they wouldnt even make videos if MTV and record compnays made them coz they dont like the faces on tv. well hey thats what ive read any way

Hysteria
12-09-2004, 12:34 PM
No, no they shouldn't.

Jojan
12-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Why should they be more famous than they alredy are? Everybody know about them. And should they do like... ehm... Britney Spears (or some other artist who is on MTV 24 h a day) and just make songs becasue they want to be famous and make money for themself and the record label. The record label (by the way) is often just givin like 5 % of what the band makes to the band. Ok. Now that shit about making money comes up again. But if Offspring makes the music (Dexter is writing their songs, and not some other asshole (MAX MARTIN, on of Swedens most sucked people) have made) they should at least have 50 % or more of the incoming money. The rest could go to make another record and videos and promoting stuff. If they need they could pay for themself, I think they would. But if the band has someone to write a song for them thay dude should have money. The band should then only get paid for gigs then. I wonder how many of you accually will read this. How many of you agrees whit what I'm tellin you? I maybe will change my opinion during the upcomming years as (I hope) my band gets better and better. We are just doing it for fun. And I don't care if we don't make any money on this. They could pay us in other ways. If we went on a (little) tour we would need a place to sleep and probobly patrol money. But the real thing about music is to have fun, the music should unite people. Music shouldn't be something you make money on. That sucks. That's why I'm downloading music. But as Dexter said in some it interview that (some) people likes to have the music in their hand, in a form of CD (or LP, casette). That's how I am. I like to have CDs and LPs.

midnightfire582
12-09-2004, 01:14 PM
I really don't think they should advertise more, they have enough money and are already famous (even though those two things shouldnt matter much but whatever). In my opinion, when it comes to the question if a band should advertise more, the answer is always no.

jovidexter4life
12-09-2004, 01:33 PM
All i hear on different sites and around here is "The Offspring sux" all this and that. Im saying when pretty fly and why dont you get a job came out the record sales went way down and Splinter barely even stay on the top 40 for 3 weeks. I dont care if they are rich whatever im saying i would like to see one of my favorite bands on tv and maybe get more popular like they used to be back in 1994. but i guess that aint gonna happen

jovidexter4life
12-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Look at Green Day and there sales. they were all over MTV and thats all you hear about now Green Day is awesome i mean i cant find anyone that hates them for this type of music except for me. Thats my opinion. Does anyone understand what im saying its not about the money at least i wouldnt care. Well i just feel bad promoting Offspring and stuff and all i hear about is that they suck. i dont hear there music on the radio except for hit that once in awhile. i dont see any of there music videos its like where the fuck are they.

Jake
12-09-2004, 01:43 PM
offspring are real punk, not just the music, but the way they act to. green day is more pop because if you remember was pop means, it popular. so even if green days music is punk, the fact that they are on mtv all the time makes them popular, so they are more pop.
id rather have the offspring stay the same then to be everywhere and be in the news all the time because it recks celebrities lives when alls there is in the news are rumors and people are getting into their private life.

enchiladitos
12-09-2004, 03:07 PM
the offspring has made it thus far with minimal advertising, why start now?

jovidexter4life
12-09-2004, 03:10 PM
the offspring has made it thus far with minimal advertising, why start now?

Yes they have made it this far but if they dont advertise now they sales will keep on falling, just falling, falling. If they keep quiet there next album will be just as successful as Splinter.

midnightfire582
12-09-2004, 03:38 PM
i dont hear there music on the radio except for hit that once in awhile. i dont see any of there music videos its like where the fuck are they.
You don't hear them on the radio? That's weird, over here they're played almost constantly on WHFS (they co-headlined HFStival this summer with The Cure). And if you have digital cable or satelite, "can't get my head around you" and "hit that" or on Fuse sometimes. There was a pretty good article about them in the Washington Post last May. They're not gone, they're JUST famous enough to get recognition but not so famous it's obnoxious.

Radi0_havana52
12-09-2004, 07:53 PM
this is the reason i like the offspring is because they don't advertise and everyone hates them where i live. i like unpopular bands.

Unnatural Disaster
12-09-2004, 08:24 PM
You don't hear them on the radio? That's weird, over here they're played almost constantly on WHFS (they co-headlined HFStival this summer with The Cure). And if you have digital cable or satelite, "can't get my head around you" and "hit that" or on Fuse sometimes. There was a pretty good article about them in the Washington Post last May. They're not gone, they're JUST famous enough to get recognition but not so famous it's obnoxious.

The offspring songs they play on the radio here are: Gone Away, All I Want, and Come Out And Play... Occasionally they'll play The Kids Aren't Alright or Self Esteem.......but the thing is, they'll only play about 2 offspring songs a month......

code_blue
12-09-2004, 10:41 PM
the offspring may not enjoy having their faces splashed all over mtv and magazine covers, but they do like success. they definitely enjoyed the success that albums like smash and americana brought to them, and they would like to repeat those successes. they were disappointed by co1's sales, as documented in many interviews, and they were probably even more bummed by splinter's failures (although i don't think they did much to help themselves). anyone who saw the band play at any of their splinter shows (and who has seen the band on previous tours) can tell you that dexter really isn't as into it as he once was. he'd probably be a lot more happy and energetic if his album was in the top 10 on billboard, like americana was around this time six years ago.

unfortunately dexter seems to think that by writing and releasing singles that sound more 'fun' and kitschy like 'come out and play' and 'pretty fly,' he'll be helping his band sell albums. obviously this strategy hasn't worked for them with the past two albums. splinter probably would have done a lot better if they'd released 'head around you' as a first single.

i will be very disappointed if offspring don't release a song that is more representative of who they truly are as a band as their first single for the next album. kindof like releasing 'all i want' as a first single for ixnay way back when. i'm sick and tired of my favorite band being represented as some shitty, "jokey" band because of the singles they've chosen to release. anyone else tired of hearing "oh yeah, offspring ... i really like their older stuff", in reference to smash/ixnay/even americana, whenever you tell someone that they're your favorite band? i am.

jovidexter4life
12-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Anyways i just saw Dexter on MTV for like an hour telling about his trip around the world and saying he plans on getting in the studio and stuff like that. Its kinda weird how everyone disagrees with me but all of a sudden they are on MTV again. interesting good job on getting the word out and i think it will happen even more. They know they need to get there word out or else there next album like i said before will be disapointing. Can i have at least one person on this site who agrees with me. i mean im new here jeez

jovidexter4life
12-10-2004, 11:23 AM
This interview was yesterday Dec 9th maybe he read my thread lol :p

lousyskater
12-10-2004, 11:26 AM
they don't need to advertise. i don't care if they're popular or not. as long as they make good music, i'm happy.

Chainsaw
12-10-2004, 12:05 PM
well.. it would be nice to hear something decent from radio and music channels once in a while, the only thing they play is rap shit or something like good charlotte, but i'd like The Offspring to have success without advertising too much and without poppy singles... i liked the singles, but their other songs are much much better...

enchiladitos
12-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Yes they have made it this far but if they dont advertise now they sales will keep on falling, just falling, falling. If they keep quiet there next album will be just as successful as Splinter.

well as far as i can tell there isnt too much gas left in the tank due to age. at this point in their careers i doubt they care so much about sales because where most bands flounder the offspring have flourished for 20+ years.

Skate Rat 19
12-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Ya know ur right. The Offspring are the best punk band but no one thinks that because they're practically unknown. My friends all listen to Green Day and Sum 41(no offense to them) but when I say the offspring is better they don't know what to say because they barley hear about them. They know the hits but those aren't really rock. They are cool but they're more like little joke songs, unlike The Noose or All I Want. So because of this non fans automatically think 1 Hit Wonder when they hear about the Offspring.

"You've gotta speak up and yell out your peace"
All I Want, Xnay on the Hombre

GetaJobWhiteGuy
12-10-2004, 03:14 PM
but all i want was a single

jovidexter4life
12-10-2004, 06:06 PM
well as far as i can tell there isnt too much gas left in the tank due to age. at this point in their careers i doubt they care so much about sales because where most bands flounder the offspring have flourished for 20+ years.

Well The Offspring started out in the late 80's yes but they barely sold any albums back then. there biggest album was in 94 with Smash. So just say 10 years with that. Flounder they aint gonna flounder anytime soo. Bon Jovi has been around since 83 and he has a new album coming out next year hes not floundering and i dont think Dexter will either.

enchiladitos
12-11-2004, 05:38 PM
Well The Offspring started out in the late 80's yes but they barely sold any albums back then. there biggest album was in 94 with Smash. So just say 10 years with that. Flounder they aint gonna flounder anytime soo. Bon Jovi has been around since 83 and he has a new album coming out next year hes not floundering and i dont think Dexter will either.

i wasnt implying that they are going to flounder first off. second some of their best music came from those first 10 years so we cant just right them off like that and third whats with all this dexter this and dexter that, granted he is a major creative force in this band and the lead singer but its the offspring for a reason, not dexter and the offspring.

Skate Rat 19
12-19-2004, 10:24 AM
I sorta agree. Ecxept i didn't see dexter on mtv, i saw on this site that he flew around the world and mtv interviewed. but i didn't know it was on air let alone see it on air.