PDA

View Full Version : Newspapers

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-28-2006, 02:29 AM
Got a favourite?

The Daily Telegraph is my favourite broadsheet, though I rarely have the opportunity to buy it. Insightful without being too overly critical or judgemental, and it doesn't have a particular political viewpoint. Though with big issues, it's ready to take a stand. Perfect balance.

The Daily/Sunday Mirror I mostly read because my parents buy it. I read it solely because it's not as bad as The Sun or The News Of The World.

I hate, scorn and despise The Daily Mail and The Daily Express.

Paint_It_Black
02-28-2006, 02:35 AM
The Daily/Sunday Mirror I mostly read because my parents buy it. I read it solely because it's not as bad as The Sun or The News Of The World.

Same here. Well, at least back when I lived in England. I don't read newspapers anymore. 90% of my news comes from the internet now.

the_GoDdEsS
02-28-2006, 02:38 AM
I never read them. Only sometimes when I got them for free as a student. But generally I don't like the way the paper stinks and I can't be bothered. And I'd rather read them online, if I feel like reading.

Tizzalicious
02-28-2006, 02:39 AM
I usually just read the one we get, which is AD - Utrechts Nieuwsblad. It changed to tabloid sized sometime ago, I like it because it's a lot more readable. I hate huge newspapers that I can't even hold. The content didn't change into a bad gossip paper though, so that's good. It's not the best paper around, but the one I do like best (Volkskrant), didn't change to tabloid, and I don't read it at all if I cant't hold it or have to bend over the table to do so. So this is better for me.

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-28-2006, 02:40 AM
Yeah, I like broadsheets, but you can't read them on the bus. Unless you happen to get a bus to yourself.

Izie
02-28-2006, 02:40 AM
I never read them. Only sometimes when I got them for free as a student. But generally I don't like the way the paper stinks and I can't be bothered. And I'd rather read them online, if I feel like reading.

Yup yup. I read the ones my parents get, for amusement purposes, since they lie a lot anyway.

Tizzalicious
02-28-2006, 02:41 AM
Yeah, I like broadsheets, but you can't read them on the bus. Unless you happen to get a bus to yourself.

I can't read them anywhere, my arms just don't spread that wide. Plus they take up the entire table! I need extra glasses to read the top of the page. It's annoying.

Paint_It_Black
02-28-2006, 02:51 AM
I forgot to mention that I hate broadsheet newspapers, for the reasons now already mentioned.

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-28-2006, 02:53 AM
Best way to annoy people on a train is just to get out a broadsheet. You don't even need to unfurl it. Just look like you're going to.

Paint_It_Black
02-28-2006, 02:56 AM
Best way to annoy people on a train is just to get out a broadsheet.

I find pulling out a knife is much better. Oh wait, that's the best way to terrify people on a train. Still, being terrified is kinda annoying.

the_GoDdEsS
02-28-2006, 03:00 AM
Ugh, there's one here I completely hate because it's all based on gossip bullshit rather than facts.

Vera
02-28-2006, 03:18 AM
Helsingin Sanomat, the biggest one in Finland.

Gotta love it for it slight left-leaningness & the general good journalism.

Endymion
02-28-2006, 03:23 AM
my personal choice is the weekly world news. what i like about them is how thuroughly they research the stories prior to writing the articles, and it really shows while reading. any time a question comes to mind i know that if i continue reading it'll be answered shortly.

Evilbaboon
02-28-2006, 03:25 AM
I generally hate the Tabloids, but the Sun has had a few great witch hunt recently

i like the Times

Rocky-girl
02-28-2006, 03:25 AM
I don't like newspapers, because I think that it's more easy to take information from internet.

killer_queen
02-28-2006, 07:30 AM
I used to buy newspapers just to read Garfield, Dilbert, Cathy and all. Now, like Simona I read them on the net.

Nina
02-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Dont read the newspaper very often. I feel really uneducated because of that, but whatev. If I read it, it's the FAZ - Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung

Tired_Of_You
02-28-2006, 07:57 AM
Le Devoir or maybe La Presse. Those are the only ones I read.

Le Journal de Montréal is horrible. It's only about stupid stuff and when they finally decide to talk about politics or something interesting...they manage to do it the wrong way.

wheelchairman
02-28-2006, 09:27 AM
The Portland Mercury. This week's edition was in the form of a Choose Your Own Adventure. And it's free.

Yatesy
02-28-2006, 10:51 AM
The only newspaper I really read is The Metro that you get on a bus, I generally get news off the internet/tv.

Tizzalicious
02-28-2006, 10:52 AM
This week's edition was in the form of a Choose Your Own Adventure..

How does that work?

Camilamazed
02-28-2006, 10:53 AM
I don't read papers here. I'm tired of knowing about the same thing every single day.... Violence bla bla bla. Plus, the papers only happen to talk about the shit thing on Tv and the celebrities' life. I don't give a fuck about it. There is only one page talking about the things around the world. So, I prefer reading things on linhe or sometimes I read things through the boards.

wheelchairman
02-28-2006, 12:10 PM
How does that work?
It's exactly like a choose your own adventure. Except some of the choices lead into articles.

Tizzalicious
02-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Haha, that's pretty cool :)

offroadster
02-28-2006, 12:19 PM
I don't read papers here. I'm tired of knowing about the same thing every single day.... Violence bla bla bla. Plus, the papers only happen to talk about the shit thing on Tv and the celebrities' life. I don't give a fuck about it. There is only one page talking about the things around the world. So, I prefer reading things on linhe or sometimes I read things through the boards.

ya ya, here the papers are a fuckin shit

Lammat
02-28-2006, 12:36 PM
In belgium we have 'de standaard' it means 'the standard'
I think every Belgian knows that that's the most qualy-full newspaper in belgium.

wow srry for the spelling.

darko
02-28-2006, 12:47 PM
When I can be bothered i buy the Daily Record or the Sun and the Local weekly paper Stornoway Gazette {to look for jobs and the police files/sheriff Court}

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-28-2006, 12:50 PM
The home page on the internet tells me the news and I just use that. So does comcast.net count?

Edit: and if I do read the paper, it is just the local Ile Camera, or the less local Detroit News or Detroit Free Press. I'd prefer either.

Hux
02-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Every now and then I read The Age. Got loads of information and stories and have heaps of mind puzzles. The mX is also great because it has lots of interesting short stories (like strange stories, etc) but I get that rarely since it's a free newspaper which you pick up in the city.

Mota Boy
02-28-2006, 02:13 PM
There are few better Sunday routines than going to a coffee house, getting a Sunday edition New York Times and ordering Eggs Benedict, then spending the next couple hours devouring both.

coke_a_holic
02-28-2006, 02:16 PM
I only really read the Washington Post, but occasionally, I'll read the school paper or another quasijournalistic paper.

Iddy
02-28-2006, 04:11 PM
The Independent, although i can't afford it everyday. I also sometimes get the Irish Independent here... when i can find it. At home i usually steal someones Irish Examiner although its a broadsheet so not really user friendly.