PDA

View Full Version : Random Ska Junk

JCwes2005
02-28-2006, 05:54 PM
I don't know if anyone here likes or even knows what ska is but I'm plugging my site anyways.
I made this site with my brothers and the site itself isn't finished, yet. The message board is. Here are the links:
Random Ska Junk (http://www.geocities.com/randomskajunk/)
RSJ Message Board (http://randomska.conforums.com/index.cgi)
It would be cool if you could tell me what you think of the site and board, so far.
thanks.
http://www.geocities.com/randomskajunk/RandomSkaJunkLogoSMALL.JPG

Endymion
02-28-2006, 06:14 PM
i do not know of this 'ska' you speak of; could you please elaborate?

JCwes2005
03-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Ska is a style of music that most people describe as rock or punk mixed with reggae. That's the easiest way to describe it, even though thats not totally right.
This place a pretty good description of what it is: http://www.skasummit.com/ska_what.php

Some ska bands you might already know are Sublime, (old)No Doubt, Less Than Jake, NOFX plays a little ska, Reel Big Fish, and other bands like thoes.

coke_a_holic
03-01-2006, 02:43 PM
If those bands are your definition of ska, I wonder how well your forum must be.

"POLL: Were the Ramones a ska band?"

0r4ng3
03-01-2006, 02:52 PM
"POLL: Were the Ramones a ska band?"
No, duh, they're metalcore.

JCwes2005
03-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Some ska bands you might already know are
When some boady asks what ska is I don't really expect them to know any SKA bands. Thoes bands play ska, but thay do other stuff too.

XYlophonetreeZ
03-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Is "boady" a new gay British slang term for a hated group of people, like "chav"?

noodlesfan
03-02-2006, 04:44 PM
you forgot voodoo glow skulls and Arrogant Sons of Bitches

Iddy
03-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Wasn't ska the original dance-hall music that was the influence, not the consequence, of reggae?

I know thats what 'kind of' written in the website you posted, but i still don't think people understand it...

coke_a_holic
03-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Most forums don't have Geneal chat, but I think that would be a pretty interesting forum to be in.

Paint_It_Black
03-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Is "boady" a new gay British slang term for a hated group of people, like "chav"?

Yeah, probably. Damn britfags.

Andy
03-02-2006, 05:37 PM
But he's from Missouri.....

thisplacesucks
03-02-2006, 08:05 PM
i think the ska that that first poster guy is talking about is like third generation ska, after it got to america, the more modern version

if you want ska thats easy to find try big d and the kids table or if you dont mind a religious theme 5 iron frenzy, these will give you a pretty good idea i think........

but im probably totally off

btw the skank is like the coolest dance ever

coke_a_holic
03-02-2006, 08:07 PM
i think the ska that that first poster guy is talking about is like third generation ska, after it got to america, the more modern version

if you want ska thats easy to find try big d and the kids table or if you dont mind a religious theme 5 iron frenzy, these will give you a pretty good idea i think........

This is somewhat true. Particularly the parts about skanking and Big D and the Kids Table.

thisplacesucks
03-02-2006, 08:10 PM
yea i think it depends on what kind of ska ur talking about....
the heavy punk grind kind or the smooth almost swingy kind

lol jus to ask who here likes animal collective, cuz they rock my world

GreenTerror
03-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Skanking is what makes a ska show. Ska pits are the greatest.

Never heard of 'em. Mind posting a link to a Myspace, Purevolume or something?

nieh
03-02-2006, 08:29 PM
yea i think it depends on what kind of ska ur talking about....
the heavy punk grind kind or the smooth almost swingy kind

I heard one song by Animal Collective that I liked quite a bit. It was interesting but seemed to be more odd and novelty-ish than being actually entertaining though, so I never checked out anything more by them. Are they normally ska? I never would've guessed from that song.

thisplacesucks
03-02-2006, 08:34 PM
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=34901479

no not ska at all
kind of experimental tribal psychedelic music
very building rising noise sound to it tho, so maybe theres some sonic youth influence

GreenTerror
03-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Well, I got fucked there. I have ghetto ass dial-up so I am completely incapible of streming music. I would have been able to spend an hour downloading a song if they had any available for download. :(

thisplacesucks
03-02-2006, 08:43 PM
just goto a cd store and sample it

GreenTerror
03-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Good idea. I'll probably be visiting Best Buy Saturday anyway to get my goddamn MSI cd I've been needing. I'll have to write down the name of the band and carry it in my wallet because I'll forget for sure.

thisplacesucks
03-02-2006, 08:48 PM
check out:

*ween
*orbit service
*melt-banana

if you can

specially melt banana look for uhm cellscape

GreenTerror
03-02-2006, 08:53 PM
I will, if you check out the band in my sig, because they are awesome and I'm going to make babies with them.

thisplacesucks
03-02-2006, 08:55 PM
sorry, no speakers, just a dock.

do you have msn or aim?

GreenTerror
03-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Laaaame, yeah it's all in my profile. MSN and AIM. I'm not signed into either at the moment. But I'll go into MSN right now.

JCwes2005
03-04-2006, 11:00 AM
you forgot voodoo glow skulls and Arrogant Sons of Bitches
Both very awesome bands.

Wasn't ska the original dance-hall music that was the influence, not the consequence, of reggae?

I know thats what 'kind of' written in the website you posted, but i still don't think people understand it...
I don't totally know the perfect history of ska. But, I know it started in Jamaica, with the combination of Mento and Calypso. This was in the 50s I should add. The best known first wave ska band is The Skatalites. Then I think it kind of died out.
Then in the late 70s, ska reemerged with the 2nd wave. Good 2nd wave ska bands are The Specials and Madness. 2tone was the name for most ska at that time. Then I think it kind of died out again.
Then I guess in the very late 80s, the 3rd wave of ska started. There are too many bands to mention. But it also spreads out into tons of little sub genres. Like ska-punk, ska-core, and you get the idea.

ya, skanking is way to fun...
and Big D is awesome, I haven't given Five Iron Frenzy a good try yet, I know they've broken up and they were prety popular.