PDA

View Full Version : Atom On Zildjian ZHT Box Set

icklebabygremlin
03-02-2006, 11:45 AM
http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/products/productDetail.ad2?catalogID=1050&typeID=0&productID=2273
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/icklebabygremlin/detailImage_2273.jpg
Yay atom!

Tijs
03-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Awesome. Looks like the picture is from Warped Tour.

icklebabygremlin
03-02-2006, 11:59 AM
yeh i think i may get these cymbals when they come out

Tijs
03-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Great, send the empty box to me then.

icklebabygremlin
03-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Great, send the empty box to me then.
Im buyin them for the box :p

offspring_freak_3
03-02-2006, 12:04 PM
i was going to say the same haha

wish i played drums, so i would get that :o

offspring kid
03-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Thats Kickass......

Ceejio21
03-02-2006, 03:40 PM
As this thread is kinda an Atom related thread (and to spare creating a new one over something so trivial) who do you think drums the best on 'The Noose'? Josh Freese or Atom Willard? Probably a question best answered by someone who's seen 'The Noose' live.

Drummerguy, you know a fair bit about drums, whaddya reckon?

I think it's the intro to the song thats the best drum part in that song

Ceej

Llamas
03-02-2006, 05:15 PM
josh played on the album, and atom plays live, I assume? I don't think it's fair to compare studio drumming with live drumming... studio drumming is always much more articulate and perfected, with much less enthusiasm and energy... live drumming is always a lot more energetic and exagerrated, but less perfect. Not really fair comparison, unless we could get a few examples of each of them playing live.

Drummerguy123
03-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Holy crap, I have been out of it. Usually I am on top of this sort of thing, but I guess since i spent all my money on my 14'' K Zildjian Hi-Hats (buy them, they are worth it), I haven't really needed any new cymbals. But yeah, as far as the cymbals go, they appear to be sheet cymbals, not cast, so I probably wont get them, and I highly doubt Atom will use them, even though he is on the box. His current cymbals (A Customs) are sheet cymbals and much higher quality than these appear to be.

As for the Noose, the intro is a very fun part with much power, but it is not all too hard to play. There are several fills within the song that are really difficult to play. Even in the beginning on the snare is fairly difficult.

|ooOoooOoooOoooOo|

^that part

Actually, there is one fill in particular that is one of the hardest on the album, but the rhythm escapes me now. Btw, I'm flattered that you looked to me for this! :D ;)

Llamas
03-02-2006, 05:50 PM
hey, I'm not trying to be a bitch... just genuinely curious... I just listened to the noose cause of your post... and the beginning, (like during the guitar riff, before it speeds up), he's hitting the snare on 3 and the "and" of 3... which isn't hard... then when it speeds up, he's just hitting the snare on the off-beats (2 and 4), which is typical punk drumming... and the fills? aren't they just rolls on the snare (and sometimes rolling from the snare to a tom)? I really am not hearing anything remotely hard in the drumming on The Noose... Any chance you could give, like, specific times in the song when the drumming is hard, and what exactly he's doing that's difficult? Unless this is something that only occurs live and not on the studio recording...

Drummerguy123
03-02-2006, 05:56 PM
I wasn't saying that particular part was hard, I was just saying it was harder than the intro. And there is one fill toward the end of the song that isn't just a roll on the snare and down the toms that I am thinking of, I just can't remember how it goes right now. I'll find the exact time later. Overall, the drumming in The Noose is not too hard, although it is really fast. It just doesn't compare to the drumming in Lightning Rod, Long Way Home, and Never Gonna Find Me.

Llamas
03-02-2006, 06:05 PM
what's hard about the drumming in long way home? Also don't hear the difficulty in never gonna find me... I like the short switches from cut time to only the hard beats (1 and 3)... but I don't think it's really hard... and once more, I don't hear the difficulty in the drumming in lightning rod, either... maybe you find the transitions difficult? going into half time... I dunno... he's always playing right on the beats, never missing a beat... no synopation, no tricky rhythms or anything... I just don't get what's hard :-/

Drummerguy123
03-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Long Way Home is hard because of it's fills and the stamina required to play the whole song. Lightning Rod is probably the hardest Offspring song to play on drums because of it's syncopation and coordination needed (listen to the hi-hat pattern in the "throw me down" part. It sounds easy, but it requires a lot of coordination) and the "Locked up forever inside" part is really fast between the crashes and ride (yes, there are ride hits in there. Listen really closely). That and it is really fast. Never Gonna Find me is mostly hard because of it's speed, although I have never really had trouble playing it.

Llamas
03-02-2006, 06:28 PM
now that you explained a little more, I can hear the difficulty in lightning rod... I think it's really just cause of the transitions, though... there's very little syncopation. the other two are only hard cause of speed, and I don't think speed is one of the more important pieces of talent in music. But I see what you're saying.

Drummerguy123
03-02-2006, 06:34 PM
It's not the transitions in Lightning Rod that make it hard, it's everything else. Have you ever tried playing it yourself? Josh just makes it sound easy. I know that a fast drummer isn't neccesarily a talented drummer, but those fast beats do require a lot of stamina. They are physically hard to play, not mentally, if you know what I mean. Like, the rhythms are easy to understand, just hard to play.

Llamas
03-02-2006, 06:39 PM
You know, I definitely think this is a matter of the individual player, you know? Like, I was talking to someone on MSN recently, and I said I thought dirty magic was hard to play on guitar, but the kids aren't alright riff is easy... and he said the opposite... neither is REALLY hard, but it's totally based on the person's individual talents.

Speaking in general drumming (not offspring drumming), I think that for me, the hardest part of drumming is getting the bass drum to synch up with everything... seeing as the offspring never does anything hard with the bass drum, it makes things fairly easy. Speed is not an issue for me, maybe it's because I'm a tennis player and am used to having a lot of stamina in my arms. Therefore, for me, hard drumming is never something that's fast, but rather something that consists of a lot rhythms that totally defer from what the guitars and vocals do... it's a lot harder for me when you're not playing on the beat (syncopated rhythms), and when you're doing something totally different- ever listen to Tool? Or system of a down's self titled album? I can't do that kind of drumming... I think it's just that we see different aspects as being hard. Sorry this post got so long... :P Think we've got some good discussion going, though.

Drummerguy123
03-02-2006, 07:09 PM
I know what you mean. For me, bass is not much of a problem and speed is definately no issue for me, but for some reason synchopated hi-hat rhythms (Hypodermic) I have a lot of trouble with. I do just fine with synchopated rhythms with my hands and bass, probably because I have a little bit of experience in some basic music theory, but when my left foot does a synchopated rhythm, I fall apart. What's really strange is that my left foot does fine with double bass. It all depends on what sort of music you like to play and what rhythms you practice. For example, I worked for weeks trying to get the insane modulated 32nd note fill in Stairway to Heaven and I finally almost got it down, and when I tried it on my school drumset, another drummer got on and got it in less than 3 minutes. He has just had experience with similar fills and I haven't. But, I can play a lot of faster rhythms better than him because I am into more of the faster drumming rhythms than he is. A lot of Splinter's drumming is really fast, but not particularly hard, except for Lightning Rod, which is just insane. I don't even fins Long Way Home to be all that hard.

Llamas
03-02-2006, 08:33 PM
agreed. and I think that the reason a lot of that stuff is easier for me is because I have a lot of experience with music and theory. I am proficient on around 10 instruments, I own 8 instruments, most of my friends are music majors, and I took a number of classes because I started out wanting to major in music... plus I participate in several university bands. So I think I find most of what the offspring does to be easy... that stairway to heaven fill is not something I've ever looked at learning... in fact, I haven't really listened to the song enough to make note of the fill. Seriously, if you haven't heard much tool or system of a down... listen to the drumming in "soil" by soad... it's not that hard of a rhythm, but playing it with the rest of the music- it's soooo off and different that I find it really hard. I find the style of the drumming in "cubert" to be similar to that of "lightning rod", too, as in some of the synchopations and transitions... and the drumming in in "PLUCK" is mad (especially when he's screaming), I think. Also, the drumming in Tool's "Pushit"... slower song, but damn hard, I think. Also in "hooker with a penis"... damn this turned into a drumming thread. :P

Drummerguy123
03-02-2006, 08:50 PM
I am very familiar with John Dolmoyan's work (SOAD) and, although I do not own any of their albums, I am aware that Tool's drummer is incredible. Although I like metal drumming every once in a while, I don't get into it that much. It's mostly just double bass rolls and cymbal crashes. Now I see that you are more familiar with music theory than I, because I haven't actually taken the class yet, and I'm only a sophomore in high school. If you want to see some good drummers, check out artists such as Carmine Appice (he is the master of 7/8 timing, 9/8 timing, and is noted for inventing double bass playing as it is used today) and John Bonham from Led Zeppelin (he is one of the worlds greatest, but it's like he has no need to show it off because his beats sound easy, but are actually incredibly hard, until he gets to his fills like the ones in Stairway to Heaven and Rock and Roll). Of course, there are obvious ones like Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, etc. There is also one jazz drummer that has influenced me a lot, even though I don't play much jazz. His name is (was?) Max Roach and you wouldn't believe some of his work. Wow, for all that typing, that proved to be quite a useless post. Oh well.......

Llamas
03-02-2006, 09:00 PM
no, seriously, I love hearing about different artists with different talents... I think that jazz drumming is incredibly hard. Because it doesn't SOUND fast, it sounds really easy, but it's the SOUND, not the speed and rhythms... those guys get such cool sounds from a drum set... sounds that take a lot of talent. I understand what you mean about metal drumming mostly being double rolls and cymbal crashes... though tool definitely doesn't follow the metal mold for drumming at all. Both bands' drumming is just crazy, I think. I've never been much of a Zep fan, but I will check them out just for the drumming. Speaking of 7/8 and 9/8 timing, I'm not positive of how much tool you know, but they are known for having songs with virtually no time signature, and songs where they change every single measure... it's so incredible. You ever heard Dispatch? They definitely have some sweet-ass drumming... with not only drumsets but tons of percussive instruments... so awesome. If you don't know them, check out "elias" for starters- just bongos and tambourine for taht song... Can you sing while drumming? That's one of the most impressive things I've ever seen a drummer do... like, not backup vocals- I mean lead. Sing a terrific lead while doing your drumming great. That's something I can NOT do for the life of me! I know the guy from 3 doors down did it before they hired a drummer, and the guy from Night Ranger does it (that guy has an amazing voice, and he's a damn good drummer)... also Hanson does it in some songs... their drummer is very good for a modern rock drummer, and he's got a great voice. In short, I think that punk drumming is incredibly easy, just fast... but drumming is often underrated. Oh, and I didn't realize you were a sophomore... cool that you've got theory knowledge that young :)

Drummerguy123
03-02-2006, 09:17 PM
I would totally buy albums for all of those guys if I didn't just spend $200 on my new 14" K Zildjian Hi-Hats (hey! I payed $200 for them! I have a right to brag!). I will probably ask a friend of mine (who happens to be a drummer) to burn some Tool for me. I have heard a little bit on the radio, and what I have heard was incredible. AS for singing, I have one of the worst voices known to mankind, so that is definately not an option. True, jazz drumming doesn't need to be fast, but this Max Roach guy is incredible. On one cd I have of his, one track is 22 minutes long and he is basically doing straight rolls on his toms/snare/rims/everything you can think of the entire song without stopping. Not only is he fast, he is...well...I'll just upload some later when I'm at home so you can see what I mean. I would now, but I'm at my grandma's house and the music is on my home computer. And I'm actually not very good with music thoery in general, I can't even read multi-tonal music (I had a horrible middle school experience) but I can play mallets just fine and I understand several poly-rhythms, too. I am getting better very fast though because I was lucky enough to get into a school with an above-average music program. I have one question. What do you think of Dave Grohl? I have heard what was supposedly his best work, with Probot and QOTSA, and quite frankly, it sucked. I don't consider him a legend at all because I have never once heard a beat of his I couldn't play. What do you think?

Llamas
03-02-2006, 09:38 PM
if you want, I can zip some tool for you and send it to you, and some dispatch (if you're interested). I think dave grohl is severely overrated... I don't get what the big appeal is with him. I'm pretty bad at doing more than one thing at once... like mallets and shit. I can do guitar, and kind of piano (piano is an amazing instrument that is soooooooo incredibly hard! reading bass and treble clef at the same time is amazingly hard...) Most of the instruments I play, minus percussion ones and guitar, are wind instruments. Definitely wanna hear Max Roach.. I know the name, and I'm positive I've heard him, but for some reason I can't put a sound to the name.

Drummerguy123
03-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Glad to know another fellow musician finds him grossly overrated. And i would love some Tool. That would be awesome TO THE EXTREME!!!! *ahem* Yeah..... I'll upload som Max Roch tomorrow if you want. He is really good (and I belive at the time of the recording, he was like 70 years old).

Autonomist
03-04-2006, 01:04 AM
Random fun fact - Josh Freese has drummed on two songs called "The Noose" - one for The Offspring and the other for A Perfect Circle.

Talman
03-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Atom doesn't use those cymbals. The situation woulda went something like this:

zildjan: "Hey, Atom, we'll give you a shitload of money if we can put your face on the box of these cymbals.
Atom: "But i don't play those Cymbals"
zildjan"Who cares, the kids are dumb and they'll buy shit cymbals to be like their idols"
Atom"na i can't"
Zildjan"We'll give you more $$$$"
Atom"Yeah ok then"

Never buy Zildjan cymbal packs. They sound like ass and the drummer on the cover certainly doesn't play them.

And about the drummer discussion. Josh Freese is better than Atom. However, the drumming on splinter isn't anything difficult. Some songs might take a good hour to get down, but there's really no need to learn the song exactly the way it's played on the album.

Daney Carey is a fucking legend. Listening to him play should make drummer's think "what the fuck is happening?"

Drummerguy123
03-04-2006, 11:59 AM
That is probably how it went, but I don't think many would consider Atom as their idol, at least apart from these forums. And I have to agree with you on the fact that Josh is better than Atom, but Splinter's drumming is far from easy, at least if you play the rhythms correctly.

nameless
03-04-2006, 08:41 PM
id say josh played it better!

Talman
03-05-2006, 10:59 AM
That is probably how it went, but I don't think many would consider Atom as their idol, at least apart from these forums. And I have to agree with you on the fact that Josh is better than Atom, but Splinter's drumming is far from easy, at least if you play the rhythms correctly.

it depends what you consider hard. I consider splinter easy. I also consider all bullet for my valentine stuff easy. I'm not saying i can listen to splinter through once then i can play all the songs.
The snare roll at the beginning of the noose boggled my brain, until i thought about it and realised what josh was doing. There's a couple of fast fills on the album that take a while to figure out, but they things don't make the album hard to play on drums.

Bullet for my valentine stuff probably sounds complicated to the non-trained ear, but it's basic double bass drumming in 4/4 timing most of the time.

Go listen to Trivium's ascendancy. Travis Smith can fucking play, and he can pull his shit off live. Not many drummer's can do that. Take Lars Ulrich of Metallica for example. Probably the best 'pro tool'd' drummer in existence. He can't pull of his double pedal beats live for shit, but people still rate him as one of the best, when infact he's a mediocre drummer.

I really need to make a video or audio clip of me playing live. I post a lot in drumming threads, but i've got nothing to back up what i can actually do. I'll record some stuff on my electronic kit using my 18 track, the i'll burn it to cd. But you guys will just have to take my word and believe it's me playing since it won't be video footage.

Drummerguy123
03-05-2006, 11:04 AM
I agree that Lars Ulrich is a mediocre drummer, but Splinter is far from easy. If you pay attention to all the little notes (i.e. the ride taps in between the crashes in Lightning Rod at the "locked up forever inside..." part), then you will discover that is isn't just straight forward drumming. I would also pos some clips of me playing, but I have nothing to record with. Once I find something, I will post it.

Talman
03-05-2006, 12:31 PM
As i said, just because you find something hard to play doesn't mean i do. Also every intricate detail may not have been played. Chances are they were added using pro tools or whatever editing equipment they used.

Drummerguy123
03-05-2006, 12:51 PM
I don't think they'd go into that much trouble for something like that. You are just going to have to face it, Splinter's drumming is not easy.

Talman
03-05-2006, 01:36 PM
I don't think they'd go into that much trouble for something like that. You are just going to have to face it, Splinter's drumming is not easy.

I take it you've never been in a studio recording before, or watched a dvd where recording is happening? If so you'd see the lengths they go to for production, and offspring being a multi million dollar franchise, they have very good producers hence the over-production on some of their albums.

A few hits on the ride doesn't make an album hard dude. Whether you like it or not i don't find splinter a hard album to play, and if you think it's hard then spend some time learning it. But don't force your opinion on me.

Drummerguy123
03-05-2006, 02:06 PM
I know it's not phenomenal drumming, because I have played all of the beats before, I was just saying that that it is not an easy album to learn.

And I'm only a sphomore in high school, so I have never had any opportunities to play at a recording studio.

Talman
03-05-2006, 02:50 PM
It is an easy album to learn for some people. That's the point i'm trying to get accross.

I'm from Scotland, so i dunno what age a sophmore would be, but i'm guessing around 15 or so. My first time in a studio i was 16. It's a good experience. I wasn't having a go at you for not having recorded before. That would be completely retarded. I was just trying to tell you that for fully produced albums a hell of a lot of editing goes into it, even down to the smallest detail like a cymbal hit.

Drummerguy123
03-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I'm 16. But the details I'm talking about would have been so miniscule that it would be pointless to add them in.

Llamas
03-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Random fun fact - Josh Freese has drummed on two songs called "The Noose" - one for The Offspring and the other for A Perfect Circle.

yup... the APC "the noose" is my favorite APC song... and I like it more than the offspring's "the noose" :P both are great songs, though!

icklebabygremlin
03-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Splinter's drumming is not easy.
I think lightining rod is if u have pratice it a bit