PDA

View Full Version : Under What Circumstances Do You Laugh?

wheelchairman
03-03-2006, 10:18 AM
I've noticed for the longest time that I just don't laugh by myself. Unless of course I am really tired and it's late at night, or if something is extremely funny.

Laughter comes to me usually when I am with other people. I can find things funny, I just won't laugh. And I will enjoy comedies less too.

So do you laugh alone? What circumstances do you laugh?

BREAK
03-03-2006, 10:23 AM
I laugh when I'm in a good mood and something amuses me. I'm actually MORE likely to laugh out loud when there's nobody around than when I'm with people. That makes me superior to you.

wheelchairman
03-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Yeah but you're married. Therefore I have the last laugh.

Tizzalicious
03-03-2006, 10:24 AM
I giggle when I'm alone, at things people say online, or things on TV. Not a lot though, it has to be really funny.

I laugh at lot around other people.

killer_queen
03-03-2006, 10:30 AM
This make me sound really stupid, I know but I almost laugh everytime when I'm with my friends. The things they say are not quite funny, it's like when I start to laugh I can't stop it. Everything sounds funny. Of course this happens in a certain group.
I rarely laugh and smile when I'm with my family.
When I'm with other friend groups people laugh at the things I say, don't know why though.
I laugh a lot when I'm reading posts on this board. Especially when I'm alone.
And the most embarrassing one, don't know why but I try so hard for not laughing when I'm having private lessons. It gets funnier when the teacher offends when he sees me laughing.
And I always laugh at silly things when I don't feel peaceful and I'm in a bad mood.

Vera
03-03-2006, 10:33 AM
It's very much a mood thing, I guess. I know that I can watch the funniest comedy and merely smile thorough instead of laughing out loud, if I'm tired or just in a REALLY awful mood.

Also, I've noticed the annoying syndrome that is online amusement exaggeration. Meaning I'll type "hahaha" even if I'm not really amused enough to laugh. It's so annoying. Like those people who use "lol" as if it was a period.

"i like you lol you're so cool lol maybe we should do something sometime lol go out for coffee maybe? lol"

Those people should be shot.

But yeah, sometimes I need company to find something truly funny. Then again, for example with movies, sometimes the entertainment is good enough and gets me in a mood where I feel like laughing out loud.

Tizzalicious
03-03-2006, 10:40 AM
I used to totally overuse 'lol' even when something wasn't even funny. Not even close. More like...the opposite.

wheelchairman
03-03-2006, 10:41 AM
I overuse lol all the time. Because I find it amusing.

Tizzalicious
03-03-2006, 10:45 AM
It's different when you use it like that on purpose. I do too. We are cool.

Izie
03-03-2006, 11:02 AM
It's very much a mood thing, I guess. I know that I can watch the funniest comedy and merely smile thorough instead of laughing out loud, if I'm tired or just in a REALLY awful mood.

I agree.

But when I'm happy-go-lucky, I'll laugh at anything.

Sin Studly
03-03-2006, 11:04 AM
I laugh at the suffering of others.

Rocky-girl
03-03-2006, 11:42 AM
With my friends of cause! And sometimes I can laught at myself.

Nina
03-03-2006, 11:53 AM
When I watch funny TV shows, I am always able to laugh out loud, whether I am alone or not, whether with my family and we're speaking of a pervy joke, or not. Heh.

I rarely laugh out loud when I read/see something funny. But there've been times when I read a book (Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, for instance) and laughed out loud for minutes. Obviously I was alone while reading (and pissing myself from laughter..... well, almost).

When I chat with people, and write "LOL", "HAHAHAHHA" or "HI-LARIOUS!!!111", then I've definitely laughed out loud.

When I am with people I do laugh, but only if it's really funny. I'm rarely in the situation when I just laugh and laugh and then suddenly everything is funny. I just aint that type of person.

In general, I only laugh when something is REALLY funny to me.

When I meet new people, I tend to laugh because I am nervous. But that's not serious laughter, just a tiny little laugh every once in a while. I dont know how to explain it.

I sound like the happiest person ever :/ I just love to laugh. Sadly I dont do it very often lately :[

Sunny
03-03-2006, 11:54 AM
i laugh less when i'm by myself, but it still happens. oddly, i laugh when i'm nervous, stressed or extremely pissed off. and at funerals, which is an awful habit. not because they're so damn entertaining, but because of all the stress and emotional weight of the whole thing and all.

and sometimes i'll just find everything funny and i can't finish a sentence without bursting into laughter.

ugh, bah.

T-6005
03-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty horrible about laughter. I'll laugh when something funny - it's more likely when around my friends, because I surround myself with hilarious people, but I occasionally laugh alone.

I laugh during the saddest parts in a movie. I seem to have a complete inability to tear up unless I've yawned or I've been pepper sprayed. So I'll start laughing at some of the horrible moments in Midnight Express, or some of the scenes in Rent or Dances With Wolves (both of which, in my emo heart, I love because they're so sad).

Nina
03-03-2006, 12:11 PM
I seem to have a complete inability to tear up unless I've yawned or I've been pepper sprayed.

You mean you've tried?

I wish I didnt get teary eyed so easily. But damn I dooooooo. *sob*

T-6005
03-03-2006, 12:13 PM
You mean you've tried?

I wish I didnt get teary eyed so easily. But damn I dooooooo. *sob*
I didn't personally try. Some people are just paranoid. And that stuff hurts! You're not really willing to accept apologies of "it was an accident" after that.

Paint_It_Black
03-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I laugh when other people are around a lot more than on my own. But most of that is just social laughter. If something is extremely funny I react the same whether I'm alone or not.

I chuckle a lot while reading amusing things. Occasionally I'll laugh out loud. Not often, but when I do it tends to last a while.

I definitely reach the point where I've laughed so much that suddenly everything becomes funny.

Sin Studly
03-03-2006, 12:26 PM
So I'll start laughing at some of the horrible moments in Midnight Express

But Mightnight Express was funny.

0r4ng3
03-03-2006, 01:00 PM
I laugh more when other people are around, and something is, obviously, funny. I let out the occasional "ha!" when no one's around, but other than that, dead silence from me.

Andy
03-03-2006, 01:21 PM
I laugh all the time. I am a very jovial man.

I laugh on my own (with stimuli, otherwise would just be strange), I laugh in groups, I (unfortunately) laugh on the bus listening to the radio. That is very embarrasing.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
03-03-2006, 01:21 PM
When I'm alone, I have a silent laugh where I just laugh with my mouthed closed and you just hear air coming out my nose. I do tend to laugh more with friends because that's when the really funny things happens (things are always funnier when you are their to experience them). And sometimes if a friend makes a really stupid joke anyways, I just pretend to laugh to make them feel better. Just like when I say "lol". I never laugh when I say "lol". It is just to make the other person feel better or it was a humorous stupid thing. I like making people feel better.

Mr. Noodles
03-03-2006, 01:27 PM
i laugh when something's funny, or weird.
i laugh at something's that are perverted.
i laugh whenever i watch Beavis and Butthead!

I don't really laugh THAT often though.
Just a few times per month!
Unless something really funny is on TV or something!

All About Eve
03-03-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm a lot like WCM in that I hardly laugh alone, more with other people, except that I still don't laugh as much then. People actually ask why I never laugh. I could find something hilarious and just smile. Situational humor makes me laugh the most, about 95% of the time.

Camilamazed
03-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Hmmmmmm

- When I'm with friends on weekend (Specially when we're all drunk)
- At shows (We look for odd people everywhere, laugh about them and take pictures so we can laugh after that)
- When I'm at work. I speak very fast and sometimes stutter, then my students laugh at me. Therefore I laugh at myself....
- I use to laugh by myself a lot. I remember funny things all the time.
- In front of the computer. Green day and Offspring Brazilian communites make me laugh a lot. The emo kids specially..
- At comedy tv shows... errrr nope. I just cannot.

Basically that.

Nina
03-03-2006, 02:19 PM
I (unfortunately) laugh on the bus listening to the radio. That is very embarrasing.

That's really cute.
I'd prolly laugh because you laugh.

WHICH REMINDS ME:

I always have to laugh when others laugh. It annoys me soooo much. People use it against me when they know I am mad :(

Andy
03-03-2006, 02:45 PM
I always have to laugh when others laugh. It annoys me soooo much. People use it against me when they know I am mad :(
You laugh WHENEVER other people laugh? I mean, the contagious laughter thing happens to me. But to happen even when you're mad? That's great!

(I just laughed so hard that the girl in the room next to mine banged on the wall. I need help.)

F@ BANKZ
03-03-2006, 02:49 PM
i never laugh, even when i send a stupid invalied post to a perfectly respectable thread never lol.

killer_queen
03-03-2006, 03:21 PM
WHICH REMINDS ME:

I do that a lot but I just can't stop it. It sucks when people stare at me and ask "why are you laughing?" when I do that.

reader
03-03-2006, 04:33 PM
When I find something funny

Kerr
03-03-2006, 04:52 PM
I've noticed for the longest time that I just don't laugh by myself. Laughter comes to me usually when I am with other people. I can find things funny, I just won't laugh. And I will enjoy comedies less too.

Exactly like me - comedies on my own are a bit lamey really.

I also have a very nasty habit of smiling in the most inconvenient situations like walking through the town centre, i something funny has happened in the past ad I was thinking of it again. Very embaressing. Also, when in a good mood, I even laugh at what the immature people say.

But I haven't properly laughed out loud in....weeks. Or even months. I can't remember the last time I actually did.

endlesst0m
03-03-2006, 05:32 PM
ever been kicked out of a class for laughing? i have.

Sinister
03-03-2006, 05:35 PM
I laugh when I'm with people much more than on my own.

except when I first saw the Emo Emu pic.

JoY
03-04-2006, 08:14 AM
right now I have this bad ear-infection on the operated side of my head & a guy I know died from an OD a few days ago. so yeah, I'm not likely to laugh at anything.

of course it depends on my mood, but it also depends on my mood what I do. I don't watch the fucking Muppets, when I feel like strangling the planet. I don't know about you, but 'funny' stuff REALLY can't amuse me when I'm down.

when I'm just doing fine & peachy, I might giggle on my own. when together with persons I deeply appreciate, I'm never just fine & peachy, but then I'm always doing good. I don't gather people around me when I'm cranky, so there's the aspect again of what I do & don't do depending on my mood. of course it influences one another. if it wouldn't, there'd be no way someone could make me go from :( to :) .

when I'm doing good, I laugh. generally a lot. also when I'm on my own, watching Will & Grace, & EVEN when a joke pops up inside of my head. people have influence on how loud I'll laugh, but generally it isn't the defining factor, unless I'm faking my mood.

Preocupado
03-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Man, i've seen this thread for three days in a roll, read it, clicked the reply button, but still can't think of an answer.

ThrashedThrasher
03-04-2006, 01:32 PM
I laugh a lot more and louder when I'm by myself then when I'm with a group of people. I never really figured out why, maybe it is for the same reason that I don't talk very much when I'm with a group of people but yeah. If I am with others I usually giggle and such. What makes me laugh really depends, for example, my friend Cameron sent me a present icon thing on MSN last year on my birthday. He told me it was just what I wanted, a box full of freshly suffocated kittens waiting to be freebased. Now that was funny to me and I laughed about it for an excessive amount of time. Then when I was with my friends not too long ago I was making fun of one of their boyfriends for being short, someone popped off with a Hobbit comment and everyone started laughing like crazy and I simply giggled and walked off.