PDA

View Full Version : Pennywise

Autonomist
03-05-2006, 04:56 AM
To all the Pennywise fans on the board - I'm sorry, but I really have no idea how the hell you can stand them.

Having always been a moderate fan of most punk music, it's never been a big problem for me when bands have many songs that sound the same (one of my favourite bands used to be The Offspring, a prime example of my point), however with Pennywise they overdo the similar song diagnosis more than any band I have ever heard!

I've previously owned three Pennywise albums - Full Circle, Straight Ahead and From The Ashes, and I have tried many times to get into them, but I just can't anymore. The vocalist has a dull, boring voice, and the instrumentals to every song all sound exactly the same. Listening to three Pennywise albums in a row for me would be like picking a random song out of the lot and putting it on repeat roughly 40-50 times.

I've counted maybe two or three songs I really like and even they sound very much alike to each other.

Lithuanian Offspring
03-05-2006, 06:24 AM
Yeah, I agree. They sound the same. But I, on the other hand, really like their music. I guess it's sort of conveniant for me if I listen to one song I've heard them all. But I'd say the album that I really liked, and had the most diversity was "Straight Ahead". And really that's the only album I listen to.

0r4ng3
03-05-2006, 06:32 AM
Well, of course you don't like them. You don't have Self Titled, Unknown Road, or About Time, their 3 greatest albums.

Kerr
03-05-2006, 08:50 AM
I was pretty disappointed in them to be honest. I have the self titled, About Time (I think the best of the ones I have), Full Circle, Land of the Free (VERY disappointing) and From the Ashes (the least samey I find of all the albums I have, and actually better than Land of the Free, even though From the Ashes is considered their worst.). I tried to like them as much as possible too, but I just simply can't. There are just the odd song I like really. I still might give their s/t a chance due to it's good reputation, but I have given up on Full Circle Land of the Free and From the Ashes.

0r4ng3
03-05-2006, 08:51 AM
I think that Unknown Road is their best album. It seems to have the most variety in their songs (out of their early albums).

Kerr
03-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Variety? I might actually be interested, because where Pennywise do a really good song, it really is really good. Which then renders the rest of an album this really good song comes off, boring, alongside the other really good song, due to the sound-alike nature. I must check Unknown Road out then.

0r4ng3
03-05-2006, 09:02 AM
I mean, it's pretty varied as far as Pennywise songs go. My favorites off that album are Unknown Road, Homesick, It's Up To Me, Time To Burn, Vices, and City is Burning.

Paint_It_Black
03-05-2006, 09:25 AM
I haven't listened to them much, but Bro Hymn is one of my favourite songs.

Jakebert
03-05-2006, 09:37 AM
I'm glad someone else actually agrees with me on this, as a lot of people tend not to. But aside from "Sraight Ahead", everything Pennywise has ever done has been boring. It's just the same song over and over again, and the singer's voice is one of the most monotone voices that I've ever heard.

opivy21
03-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Pennywise used to be one of my top three bands, but I haven't listened to them in a very long time. It's not just the music that's repetitive, but also the lyrics. And to cancel out any good songs that have made, they also made awful songs such as Fuck Authority.

noodlesisalliwant
03-05-2006, 12:45 PM
I am a big fan of Pennywise and currently own Straight Ahead, Unknown Road and Full circle and I can see what you are saying, quite a few of their songs do sound really similar- especially a few on Straight Ahead, even though that is probably my favourite album. As people just pointed out, Some of the songs are also trying to present the same message which i find sliightly annoying but i still continue to like them. In particular i find songs such as One Voice and Watch me as I fall kinda similar in some ways. and I definitely agree with the fact that Jim, the vocalist really doesn't have much of a vocal range. However, they are still one of my favourite bands because of songs such as "Nowhere fast" and "City is Burning". sorry about the long post there.

0r4ng3
03-05-2006, 01:25 PM
I liked Pennywise so much better in their early years, when they weren't so damn political.

bouncingcoles
03-05-2006, 03:21 PM
i know what you mean. but i really like pennywise. the energy to there music is great and i dont think the singer has an amazing voice or anything, but who fucking cares, they have a lot of catchy songs. there are plenty of worse punk bands then pennywise to complain about

rocketman
03-05-2006, 03:31 PM
there are plenty of worse punk bands then pennywise to complain about
*cough*The Causualties*cough*

Jakebert
03-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Agreed. The Causualties are even more of a joke than Blink 182.

That_Guy91
03-05-2006, 05:02 PM
I liked Pennywise so much better in their early years, when they weren't so damn political.
I wouldn't mind the politcs if they were a little smarter about it.

Jakebert
03-05-2006, 05:40 PM
fUcK aUtHoRiTy!1!1!!!!! ANACCHYYY

Flexing Wings
03-05-2006, 06:00 PM
pfft Alien is great.

Usually I respect people's opinions, but REALLY? To bother making a thread dedicated to telling Pennywise fans that they (the band) are shit... what is the point? Really, I'd like to know.

I saw them live about 2 1/2 years ago and I thought they were amazing. Sure the quality of sound on the CD's weren't perfect, but still it's about the music.

Autonomist
03-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Fair point Flexing_Wings, but in my post I tried to avoid actually calling the band shit because I didn't make this thread to piss off their fans, I made it to broadcast my opinion, and see whether or not people agreed with me, which I was generally interested in.

Amiralanal
03-06-2006, 07:56 AM
i like it when they sound the same. You can really trust pennywise. theyve kept their dignity. do you want them to change genre every album?