PDA

View Full Version : Call me obsessed if you want, I don't care

Drummerguy123
03-05-2006, 01:40 PM
The Complete Analysis of

Ixnay on the Hombre

Note: It is suggested that you read this with the Ixnay on the Hombre booklet that comes with the album

Title: Ixnay on the Hombre: Rought translation: Down on the man; a repeated theme throughout the album.

Artwork: Mexican Dia de los Muertos: Symbolises their "death" of their old more punk style while celebrating their new style.

Skull with "Alla Te Espero" written on it's forehead: rough translation: I will see youin the afterlife; I see your soul (reference to track 7, Gone Away)

Various religious symbols (i.e; Virgin Mary, crosses, angel, demons, etc.):

The power of God syblolises the power and wealth of "the man."

Skeleton flipping off the large group of skulls (back cover): Shows how "the man" is screwing over all the little people below him.

Skeleton whipping the other skeleton: Shows the abuse given to those helpless from "the man"

Woman shooting the other woman (booklet): Yet another symbol of the power hungry "man" destroying the little people

Demon eating the person as the woman watches: Symbolises how people ("the man") can act friendly and helpful until their help is really needed

Business man being dragged away by Death: Symbolises the eventual fall of "the man"

Demons pulling the little girl into the pit of Hell as the mother lays dead on the floor: Shows how the deoms ("the man" once again) does not care for the well being of those in need, just their own benefit

Skeletons protesting to the larger skeletons: Shows how when the little people try to protest against "the man," they are oppressed and and rejected by the larger authority figures

The Music*:

Disclaimer: A great introduction to the album explaining how people can't get mad at an artist for their music when they could simly just not listen to it

Meaning of Life: Our first song following the albums main theme. It describes how the world wants us to live our lives on a set path, but they don't want to live this pre-determined life. They would rather carve their own path instead of following what everyone else has been doing for generations.

Mota: A song criticising the lives of drug users. It describes the hassles and problems a drug user faces every day and criticises their waste of money/life on their addiction.

Me and My Old Lady: A song showing how the relationships of many people are: abusive and apathetic, yet somewhow they seem to work fairly well. Another meaning that could be taken from ths song is how the American public always likes to keep an uncomfortably close eye on celebrities, escpecially those with out of the ordinary relationships. either way you take this song, you will find the meaning includes how these people don't care what others think about their relationships.

Cool To Hate: A sarcastic song that is easy to find the meaning in. It is simply making fun of all the people around the world who hate everything and everyone around them.

Leave it Behind: A short, yet powerful song. Much doesn't need to be said about the lyrics. It basically describes how pointless it is to hold a grudge for too long, escpecially when it destroys a good friendship.

Gone Away: A song about the loss of life. Although the lyrics themselves don't follow this idea of "Ixnay on the Hombre.," the style does. They were defying the traditional punk style (in this case, "the man") and going in a direction they want, not what all the older punk fan base wanted.

I Choose: A very complex song in it's meaning. It requires muc thought to realize the message. In short, it is saying that life pretty much sucks and there is nothing we can do about it, but as long as we are here, we might as well have a good time because the human race is destined to fall and "hit the ground" eventually.

Intermission: A short interlude seperating the album into two parts. Although the song alone has no meaning, when taken in context with the rest of the album, it says (brace yourself, this gets deep) that within all of this excitement and speed of this world (in this ccase, this album), we all still need a little breather or "intermission" every once in a while.

All I Want: This song definately follows Ixnay on the Hombre's main theme well and is very similar to Meaning of Life. The message in this one is that they are being dragged down and controlled that society, so they are trying to break free of this control.

Way Down The Line: This song is about the neverending cycle that is going on within families everywhere. Basically, if you had bad parents, you end up being a bad parent, and your children will be bad parent, etc. It is summed up by the line, "The world you get's the one you give away."

Don't Pick it Up: A song mostly intended for humorous purposes only, but a symbolic meaning can still be pulled out of it. Everything they are saying you should not "pick up" represent all of the trends many people are picking up on. This song is speaking out against peer pressure or anything you might want to try that will be very bad for you.

Amazed: A ballad that is much different than the rest of the album. It is talking about how their life is down the tubes and nobody is around to help out. The apathy everybody has toward each other is depressing and they would be amazed if things could turn out better.

Change the World: Definately the defining song of this theme. The message it contains is that all of the corparate leaders of the world say that they are going to help everybody in need, but in reality, they are all in it for their own profit. It is telling them to stop the corruption because it will eventually lead to their downfall.

Kiss My Ass: Although it not an actual song or track, it is worth mentioning for it's pure genious. The long pause makes people think that the album is over and they jump at hearing this. The message in this one short line is that people need to be open to any kind of music that might come across to them, which is something people did not do when this album came out.

*All lyrics can be read at http://www.plyrics.com/o/offspring.html

Hux
03-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Nicely done, it's good to see people who are willing to do and to take the time to do these things.

Drummerguy123
03-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks. I was planning on doing the other abums next, but I'm too lazy and this took too long.

Amiralanal
03-05-2006, 02:03 PM
thanx. very interesting. i guess its your favorite album?

Drummerguy123
03-05-2006, 02:05 PM
That would be correct.

paulrose
03-05-2006, 02:07 PM
This is just amazing, i love trying to analyse albums and songs, you are not obsessed you are clever in respect that you can find these meanings with in songs. Are you going to do anymore albums? that would be good

Drummerguy123
03-05-2006, 02:08 PM
I might. If I do, Ignition would be next. I actually have ideas in my head for all of the albums, I just don't know if I want to spend the time doing this again.

Hux
03-05-2006, 02:10 PM
This got me thinking to do one and I was gonna pick Ignition...

Drummerguy123
03-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Actually, I'll probably do one of Ignition later, it will just be a while.

Hux
03-05-2006, 02:12 PM
I might do Ignition soon, we'll just have to wait and see..

Drummerguy123
03-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Oh, and steal my glory! :mad:

Call it an Obsession
03-05-2006, 02:34 PM
wasnt it fuck the man? not down with the man... u know from maximum offspring

Hux
03-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Oh, and steal my glory! :mad:
Yep :D

Don't worry, if I am going to do it, it probably wouldn't be as good as yours. You'll get credit.

Drummerguy123
03-05-2006, 02:36 PM
wasnt it fuck the man? not down with the man... u know from maximum offspring

I haven't gotten that yet, so I wouldn't know. But I believe my translation is more accurate, even though it may not apply to this one.

darko
03-05-2006, 02:37 PM
bloody hell thats good

Call it an Obsession
03-05-2006, 02:37 PM
I haven't gotten that yet, so I wouldn't know. But I believe my translation is more accurate, even though it may not apply to this one.
yea basically means the same anyway

Drummerguy123
03-05-2006, 02:40 PM
bloody hell thats good

Thank you! :D

Drummerguy123
03-05-2006, 02:41 PM
yea basically means the same anyway

lol. I think my obsession beats yours!

noodle654
03-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Excellent work there Drummerguy!! :D Now when there are threads about songs on Ixnay, we can look back to this!! You rock :)

Drummerguy123
03-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks a lot! :D ;)

noodle654
03-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Somebody mos def do Ignition, that would be SICK!! I am way to lazy to, and I got a ton of stadarized tests for the next 2 weeks :cool:

i-want-him-only
03-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Awsome!!! I love artwork analysis, i always wondered what all that meant...
now i know, thanks!!!

Drummerguy123
03-05-2006, 03:54 PM
No problemo. Maybe I'll do Ignition next week.......hmmmmmm...........

I don't know
03-05-2006, 04:57 PM
very good :D

Ixnay 09
03-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Really cool man. Congrats :D

.:SMASH:.
03-06-2006, 12:07 AM
i heart you <3

GreenTerror
03-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Thomas = My hardcore Tacoheadpimp

Yaah.

That was cool, dude.

Drummerguy123
03-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeet........

:cool: ;)

Emily_offspring_fan
03-06-2006, 08:16 AM
it's amazing! :D

noodlesisalliwant
03-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Hey thanks for doing that, very interesting and helped clear up a few, minor confusions I had about some of teh songs and artwork references. Thanks again, must've taken you ageees though. I would do ignition but I don't think I'll have the time, got revision to do all week.

Superdope
03-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Man that kicked ass!!!! :D
I completely agree with your entire analysis...
that was exactly what I got out of the album, but I never thought about posting it. :eek:
nice job. im looking forward to more!

bhg_rulz2
03-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeet........

:cool: ;)

that was exellent men...congrats! haah...besides...now u r famous for ur explaining of all the album including artwork...nice job!! :D :D

skiddles824
03-06-2006, 11:25 AM
holy crap man nice :cool:

Sinister
03-06-2006, 11:37 AM
keep this somewhere safe, it's definitely worth it.

offspring_freak_3
03-06-2006, 02:38 PM
pretty cool man, i would read it all but i'm too lazy and i have to do some thing, but i read a good part of it, nice work ;) :cool:

Drummerguy123
03-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Oh, goddamit. Now I have to do another one. I hate you all. If anybody is going to try making one of these, do Smash. I have ideas for all the other albums in my head already and if you try to do one of these and ruin my glory, I will kill you. ;)

BIG Nicky
03-06-2006, 06:41 PM
nice job :D

Camilamazed
03-06-2006, 07:43 PM
It's amazing when someone does such thing. I would never analyze the CD the way you did. Congratulations!

I posted it totally translated in an Offspring Brazilian community.

:D

bhg_rulz2
03-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Oh, goddamit. Now I have to do another one. I hate you all. If anybody is going to try making one of these, do Smash. I have ideas for all the other albums in my head already and if you try to do one of these and ruin my glory, I will kill you. ;)

hahaha c'mon dude!...u have fans now hahaah....make another one...ignition or smash...u decide haha..u explain really good ur ideas and meanings,...thats a good thing...

Drummerguy123
03-06-2006, 09:28 PM
hahaha c'mon dude!...u have fans now hahaah....make another one...ignition or smash...u decide haha..u explain really good ur ideas and meanings,...thats a good thing...

HOLY SHIT I HAVE A FAN CLUB!!!!! :eek:

But yeah, my next one will either be Ignition or S/T. I haven't made up my mind yet. Smash will be one of the last because I don't have all my ideas in order yet and I haven't fully grasped the whole theme of the album yet, although I know it exists and I have a vague idea of it.

Drummerguy123
03-06-2006, 09:35 PM
It's amazing when someone does such thing. I would never analyze the CD the way you did. Congratulations!

I posted it totally translated in an Offspring Brazilian community.

:D

Haha. Now I'm being translated for other countries! Goddammit, I want my Pulitzer! :mad:

Llamas
03-06-2006, 11:39 PM
I think it was nice, but I think you're bragging about it too much... getting kinda old...

Drummerguy123
03-07-2006, 06:46 AM
I was being sarcastic. It was a joke. Mostly everything I said were thank yous, unless it was a sarcestic joke. But I'll stop it anyway.