PDA

View Full Version : Oscars WTF.

Vera
03-05-2006, 09:19 PM
What.The.Fuck.

Edit: I have more thoughts to contribute but it's 7 am my time and this is the main thought on my brain so there you have it.

Little_Miss_1565
03-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Dude, other countries watch the Oscars the day they happen?

XYlophonetreeZ
03-05-2006, 09:22 PM
I told myself I'd make an effort to watch them this year because Jon Stewart was hosting. Even so, I still couldn't bring myself to watch the Oscars. If somebody tells me that he was entertaining, I'll watch some of it when they replay it in the next week. If somebody tells me that the actual awards were entertaining, I simply won't believe them.

Paint_It_Black
03-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Didn't watch it, but I did just look up the winners.

JohnnyNemesis
03-05-2006, 09:28 PM
That bullshit Crash movie won Best Picture. Effing ridiculous.

Vera
03-05-2006, 09:38 PM
1565 - Not all countries get it live, obviously. But one of the Finnish networks has been, for the past few years. They have a Finnish studio commentating team and everything, it's pretty fun.

Ricky omg I KNOW. I liked Crash, it was well-made and deserved that editing award but BEST PICTURE GAH WTF.

Also, I was just talking to a friend on AIM and she was like "I bet people will call me a racist for saying Crash didn't deserve that award. I hope people have more reason than that but eh, I know some won't."

Lithuanian Offspring
03-05-2006, 09:44 PM
I liked that Crash is an indie film, and yet it was able to pull off 3 Oscars just like Brokeback Mountain.

JohnnyNemesis
03-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Also, I was just talking to a friend on AIM and she was like "I bet people will call me a racist for saying Crash didn't deserve that award. I hope people have more reason than that but eh, I know some won't."

Fucking UGH!:IOHJLEFUGLUGHVDFLIFHGUOHFGDIHGFDIOGH

KILL YOUR FRIEND IN MY NAME NOW!!!

The reason I hate Crash is because people always hail it as an anti-racist movie, when if you really pay attention, the movie itself justifies racism.

All it does is present these little scenes with no context, no historical background, no knowledge of the systems in place or the when those systems were created that perpetuate the scenes you're watching. No, just scenes that are suppoed to "shock" you and make you think that they're being courageous by showing you these things, or make it seem like they're taking no stance on the issue, failing to see that taking no stance is ITSELF a stance.

Also, some people see that kind of shit everyday. The whole "here's racism! If you're a middle to upper-class American, this is going to be somewhat new to you!" approach is annoying to anyone who's not a middle-class American.

ifhf;h;gdh;hrfhgkjnfdkj.gbv.jhcifghv I've explained it all so many times that my head is already spinning in advance.

Not Ozymandias
03-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Crash is a piece of shit. I was shocked it didn't win more awards.

The Oscars get duller and less relevant each year. I really should stop paying any attention at all.

Lithuanian Offspring
03-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Fucking UGH!:IOHJLEFUGLUGHVDFLIFHGUOHFGDIHGFDIOGH

KILL YOUR FRIEND IN MY NAME NOW!!!

The reason I hate Crash is because people always hail it as an anti-racist movie, when if you really pay attention, the movie itself justifies racism.

All it does is present these little scenes with no context, no historical background, no knowledge of the systems in place or the when those systems were created that perpetuate the scenes you're watching. No, just scenes that are suppoed to "shock" you and make you think that they're being courageous by showing you these things, or make it seem like they're taking no stance on the issue, failing to see that taking no stance is ITSELF a stance.

Also, some people see that kind of shit everyday. The whole "here's racism! If you're a middle to upper-class American, this is going to be somewhat new to you!" approach is annoying to anyone who's not a middle-class American.

ifhf;h;gdh;hrfhgkjnfdkj.gbv.jhcifghv I've explained it all so many times that my head is already spinning in advance.
You see, the movie makes all of these problems visible. It's aimed at a demographic that believes that America is the land of liberty and freedom. It's designed to shock people into seeing it. Obviously it's been done many times, but I'm looking forward to see this movie. The Oscars have been known, especially in recent years, for picking the most political stories. I'm sure another movie could have been better than Crash. I'll watch all of the movies and than I'll tell you what I think. Crash sounds interesting from a filming perspective, cause it's many stories.

JohnnyNemesis
03-05-2006, 09:59 PM
You see, the movie makes all of these problems visible. It's aimed at a demographic that believes that America is the land of liberty and freedom. It's designed to shock people into seeing it.

Yeah, it shocks people into seeing it and makes the problems visible to people who wouldn't know, but what does it do from there? If the movie doesn't provide the context, background, or other kinds of education on these issues that I mentioned earlier, it makes it look like all of these complex issues are as simple as just the little things you see from day to day. And that's just not how it works in real life, y'know?

Sure, MAYBE people might be interested in learning more as a result, but then again, many MORE people might get the message that what you see is what you get.

Crash sounds interesting from a filming perspective, cause it's many stories.

I can respect that.

Vera
03-05-2006, 10:00 PM
If that's the case, Ricky, I don't think the director intended it. But I do see your point and I agree to it in a way. It's kind of a film that tries to say something but doesn't really end up saying anything about anything in the end.

In other words - good watch, yes, Best Picture? No.

Lithuanian Offspring
03-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah, it shocks people into seeing it and makes the problems visible to people who wouldn't know, but what does it do from there? If the movie doesn't provide the context, background, or other kinds of education on these issues that I mentioned earlier, it makes it look like all of these complex issues are as simple as just the little things you see from day to day. And that's just not how it works in real life, y'know?

Sure, MAYBE people might be interested in learning more as a result, but then again, many MORE people might get the message that what you see is what you get.

I really think it's about, awareness. But, listen, I wanna see the movie first and then I can have this discussion, cause I don't wanna make an ass of myself.

Vera
03-05-2006, 10:04 PM
But I think in the end it all comes down to this: Jon Stewart and George Clooney would be so fucking hot together.

T-6005
03-05-2006, 10:05 PM
I happened to love Crash, just for the way it was filmed, the interlinking of the stories, and the brilliant cast. Of the movies I knew of in the running, it definitely deserved best Feature. I wouldn't have nominated it for the Oscars in the first place, though - or probably any of these movies. Especially not Brokeback Mountain, for anything whatsoever.

Lithuanian Offspring
03-05-2006, 10:06 PM
But I think in the end it all comes down to this: Jon Stewart and George Clooney would be so fucking hot together.
That was hilarious. I got up at 2:30 am and it was worth seeing that.

Italia311
03-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Everyone was saying that the Capote film was going to win Best Film...gee what happend?

Vera
03-05-2006, 10:16 PM
That was hilarious. I got up at 2:30 am and it was worth seeing that.
Ditto! :D

Overall I think Jon did great. I was giggling throughout, but the Oscar audience sucked. They laughed more at fucking Little Chicken than Jon Stewart. WTF, yo? LITTLE CHICKEN.

His comment after the pimp-song was priceless, though.

Lithuanian Offspring
03-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Nah, they said that Brokeback Moutain was gonna win six Oscars, but poo to you, Ang Lee!!

T-6005
03-05-2006, 10:17 PM

Overall I think Jon did great. I was giggling throughout, but the Oscar audience sucked. They laughed more at fucking Little Chicken than Jon Stewart. WTF, yo? LITTLE CHICKEN.

"Pimps are like agents with nicer hats."?

Vera
03-05-2006, 10:18 PM
"I think life just got a little bit easier for a pimp out here."

Lithuanian Offspring

Yeah, I honestly can't believe that they had to choose from those three songs. I would have chosen Dolly Parton, she's sooo old and reminds me of a pretty Marilyn Manson (wtf!?!?1!?1).

XYlophonetreeZ
Nah, they said that Brokeback Moutain was gonna win six Oscars, but poo to you, Ang Lee!!
I'm glad. I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain, but he should never be forgiven after directing The Hulk.

Lithuanian Offspring
03-05-2006, 10:19 PM
"I think life just got a little bit easier for a pimp out here."
Oscar Count
Martin Scorsese = 0
6...Mafia (can't remember) = 1

Lithuanian Offspring
03-05-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm glad. I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain, but he should never be forgiven after directing The Hulk.
That was him!!!!! They should have not given him the Oscar for just shit-mound that the Hulk was.

Vera
03-05-2006, 10:22 PM
63 Mafia. I never really got that one to be honest.

Vera
03-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Ang's award should've gone to the cinematographer who was ROBBED because of the stupid Japanese whore film.

Lithuanian Offspring
03-05-2006, 10:29 PM
My prediction for next year:
Best Movie: "The Splendifrous Zepplin Escapades of Filliam H. Muffman"
Best Male: Felicity Huffman
Best Female: William H. Macy

Betty
03-06-2006, 12:03 AM
I'm not really that up on movies/pop culture/the oscars/etc.

I really enjoyed Crash because of the interwoven plots, etc. I can see how you might not like how they dealt with the "issue" Rick, but I mean, I AM a middle class naive young female, and so I don't think I could possibly view it from your point of view.

I also really enjoyed Brokeback Mountain because it depressed the hell out of me. Honestly, even thinking about it now makes me depressed. So there was huge impact factor there.

JoY
03-06-2006, 03:37 AM
the movie with Heath Ledger should've won.

..according to some Dutch critics. but I thoroughly like that guy as an actor. I haven't even seen the movie, but whatever, it can't be bad. Gay Sheepmen, omgz!

Sin Studly
03-06-2006, 04:25 AM
Heath Ledger is an embarrassment to my country.

JoY
03-06-2006, 04:42 AM
but.. but.. I find him kind of sexy & ima suckah for accents. =(

Vera
03-06-2006, 04:57 AM
Heath Ledger is the smallest embarrassment to your country, believe me.

Tizzalicious
03-06-2006, 05:13 AM
the movie with Heath Ledger should've won.

..according to some Dutch critics. but I thoroughly like that guy as an actor. I haven't even seen the movie, but whatever, it can't be bad. Gay Sheepmen, omgz!

I like him too! He is hawt.

Sin Studly
03-06-2006, 05:39 AM
Let me put it this way.

Heath Ledger played the most famous Australian folk hero of all time, and did a worse job of it than Mick Jagger did in the 70s.

He's an embarrassment to the nation. I'd rather see Steve Irwin as Prime Minister with Crocodile Dundee as leader of the opposition than Heath Ledger win an Oscar.

JoY
03-06-2006, 06:24 AM
I like him too! He is hawt.
I know! omgz yummiez.

JohnnyNemesis
03-06-2006, 06:32 AM
I can see how you might not like how they dealt with the "issue" Rick, but I mean, I AM a middle class naive young female, and so I don't think I could possibly view it from your point of view.

I think my point might be missed a little bit here. It's not that I don't like how they dealt with the "issue"...I don't like the fact that they refused to deal with the issue in any substantial way at all. I'm not saying people should have my point of view, but they should have an educated point of view if they have one at all, not surface level stuff.

Sin Studly
03-06-2006, 06:37 AM
But surface level stuff wins oscars....

JoY
03-06-2006, 06:39 AM
just for the record;
THIS
http://members.lycos.nl/lunapictures/Men/heath%20ledger.jpg
is not an embarrassment to your country.

add the accent.

Sunny
03-06-2006, 07:17 AM
oh man. the best moment was when three 6 mafia won.

i was just like OH MY GOD THREE 6 MAFIA JUST WON AN ACADEMY AWARD *aneurysm*

WHY DIDNT JACQUIN PHOENIX WIN BEST ACTOR? i was so fucking pissed.

i am just so happy Capote or BBM didn't win best picture.

reese witherspoon totally deserved best actress, but omg she kept going and going.

i wish the film editing award went to Walk the Line. =/

art direction, costume and cinematography awards all went to memoirs of a geisha, and that was pretty awesome.

and yay for march of the penguins!

ugh @ best actor though. ugh.

Vera
03-06-2006, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I like Reese but her speech was so annoying. Teary Best Actress acceptance speeches suck.

What's with the Capote & BBM dislike, Sunny? Just curious.

Sunny
03-06-2006, 07:34 AM
i thought she was never gonna get off the damn stage.

and i didn't particularly like either, or feel like they deserved all the ridiculous hype. i mean, i thought they were good movies. but not the "OMG AMAZING" people make them out to be. i'd probably like both more if they didn't have a cult following at this point... that i feel they don't necessarily deserve.

JohnnyNemesis
03-06-2006, 07:35 AM
But surface level stuff wins oscars....

This is true, and this is exactly why I'll admit that I should stop my whining already. It's just annoying.

i was just like OH MY GOD THREE 6 MAFIA JUST WON AN ACADEMY AWARD *aneurysm*

Me too. I was with my buddy at the time, and he said to me "Well, that just set my people back a few decades".

Of all the legitimate hip hop out there that gets ignored everyday, some ignorant Southern stereotypical bullshit is what makes a big splash on such a huge stage. Besides, it's fuckin' THREE SIX MAFIA!

Vera
03-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Oh, so that was what the Mafia thing was. Damn, I didn't have the volume up loud enough because of the 3 AM thing so I totally missed that. Also, mostly I was just boggled that a song about pimps was nominated in the first place to notice who performed it.

I think the Oscars always come down to this certain type of films that get nominated. They're good but none of them are ever my absolute favorites.

I wish BBM had won cinematography, though. That, or Batman Begins. Bleh, Geisha film.

Sunny
03-06-2006, 07:42 AM
sippin on some sizzzur*, sip, sippin on some, sip..

* syrup.

yes. masterpiece.

Sunny
03-06-2006, 07:43 AM
I wish BBM had won cinematography, though. That, or Batman Begins. Bleh, Geisha film.

i thought geisha was a really gorgeous movie. i'm not sure how authentic the whole thing was, but holy damn was it ever pretty.

JohnnyNemesis
03-06-2006, 07:46 AM
sippin on some sizzzur*, sip, sippin on some, sip..

* syrup.

yes. masterpiece.

Don't forget their other classics, such as "Fuck Dat Hoe", "Dis Bitch, Dat Hoe", and my personal favorite, "Slob on my Knob":

Slob on my knob
Like corn on the cob
Check in with me, and do your job
Lay on the bed, and give me head
Don't have to ask, don't have to beg
Juicy is my name
Sex is my game
Let's call the boys, let's run a train
Squeeze on my nuts
Lick on my butt
The natural curly hair, please don't touch
First find a mate
Second find a place
Third find a bag, to hide the ho face
Real name rover
I said bend over
I started to knock, then came the odor
Smelled like mush
Shouldn't had a woosh
Told her to stop, and take a dush
While she did that
I didn't want the cat
So I bounced out and never came back

Suck a nigga dick or some (4x)

My nigga D-Magic
Said they had to have it
I said just forget it, it's too craby
Know a little freak, in Hollywood
Sucks on dick, does it real good
She'll give you money, feel up your tummy
House full of kids, parents all schummy
Once had a down, backyard ground
Hit it from the back
Enjoy the sound
Lay on the cover
Always use the rubber
Till I got caught, fucking with her mother
She blamed it on me
We fought in the street
She pulled out a knife, so I had to flee
Called up the boys
Went to her house
Charged the whole place
Threw the bitch out
Police busted in
Where the niggas at
We left just in time, and never came back
Roll through the hood, waving at the freaks
Who's sniffing all the rocks, and smoking all the geeks
Made another stop
Police station
Saw a few cops
Drove by and sprayed them
Licensee tag number
A nigga said he saw
Bogus all the time
Never get caught
Slob on my cat
Cause you know it's fat
Che

Sunny
03-06-2006, 07:49 AM
oh the depth! the beauty! man...

Vera
03-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Beats Dolly Parton any day? ;p

Sin Studly
03-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Joy, there has not been a bigger embarrassment to my country since Gough Whitlam.

Imagine the folk hero of Holland if you have one, Janny van Johannes or whatever his name is. Imagine he's a 6'6 revolutionary/armed bandit famous for taking on a squad of police clad in 150lbs+ of iron armour, and refusing to stop fighting even after he'd been shot over 30 times. Basically, one of the hardest motherfuckers in history.

Then imagine he and his gang were played by Heath Ledger and Orlando Bloom.

Vera
03-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Justin, Bella's was a fangirl reaction.

Fangirl reactions don't come from the brain, they come from the ovaries. There's no convincing he's not hot. Our brain might be listening but our ovaries won't care.

JohnnyNemesis
03-06-2006, 07:54 AM
oh the depth! the beauty! man...

Ya, I kno, rite?!

It kills me that this ignorant bullshit is gonna represent hip-hop for awhile. All the folks who don't listen to hip-hop are going to listen to that song, and say something like "SEE? That's why I don't like rap!!!" When, of course, they're failing to see that Three Six Mafia speaks for all of rap about as much as Korn speaks for all of guitar driven music.

Sin Studly
03-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Justin, Bella's was a fangirl reaction.

Fangirl reactions don't come from the brain, they come from the ovaries. There's no convincing he's not hot. Our brain might be listening but our ovaries won't care.

I'm not saying he isn't hot. I'm just saying he's an embarrassment to the nation, and Australia hates him more than the Crocodile Hunter.

Vera
03-06-2006, 08:01 AM
That's a shame. Crocodile Hunter is not hot. :/

Sin Studly
03-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Crocodile Hunter didn't besmirch Australia's greatest folk hero by playing him alongside Orlando fucking Bloom. Crocodile Hunter never reprised a role played by Mick fucking Jagger and did an indisputably worse job than him.

Heath Ledger was okay in "Two Hands", though.

JohnnyNemesis
03-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Don't forget "10 Things I Hate About You".

Preocupado
03-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Dude, other countries watch the Oscars the day they happen?
Yes miss, we saw it live here in Brazil too.

JoY.
I hate that guy in the picture. And if he is australian, i don't simply hate him, but i also think he was nominated for the most pathetic role that a man could do, wich was that plastic cowboy accient, wich i pretty much could do when i was six years old. Justin says the guy is an embarassement to the nation. I believe him. (although i wouldn't recognize the word pride after Crocodile Dundee)

And the best things about the Oscars were definetly: Charlize Theron and her astonishing cuteness, Jon Stewart and his perfect timing, and, of course, Jack Nicholson - "Good night... and good luck." *walks away*

I wish Jack was my uncle http://www.offspring.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Sin Studly
03-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Australian's generally like Crocodile Dundee and the impact its had on our international image. But then, we also like telling foreigners about Drop Bears.

Sin Studly
03-06-2006, 09:04 AM

Right, it's like he followed up on butchering Shakespeare by butchering the greatest Australian legend of all time.

Vera
03-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Right, it's like he followed up on butchering Shakespeare by butchering the greatest Australian legend of all time.
Yeah, but it was hot.

Sin Studly
03-06-2006, 09:09 AM
His hotness is part of the problem. Possibly even more so than his inability to act.

I suppose it's not his fault people chose to cast Hollywood pretty-boys for the role of a lazy-eyed sunweathered fullbearded scar-faced teenaged psychotic killers, but he's more high profile than the casting agents so we chose to blame him and Bloom anyway.

Vera
03-06-2006, 09:11 AM
You and Heath would be so hot together.

Sin Studly
03-06-2006, 09:37 AM
I'd only do him if it made you and Bella upset and jealous enough to outweigh the self-loathing I'd feel afterwards.

Twinkle
03-06-2006, 10:01 AM
just for the record;
THIS
http://members.lycos.nl/lunapictures/Men/heath%20ledger.jpg
is not an embarrassment to your country.

add the accent.

Holy good goodness. And that is apparently an embarrassment to Australia?? I think somebody needs to get their brain checked out.

Vera
03-06-2006, 10:03 AM
I'd only do him if it made you and Bella upset and jealous enough to outweigh the self-loathing I'd feel afterwards.
It could be violent sex.

el_monkey
03-06-2006, 10:04 AM
the oscars suck; teh reel mainstream

Vera
03-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Yeah, because Batman Begins wuz totally indie!11

Sin Studly
03-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Holy good goodness. And that is apparently an embarrassment to Australia?? I think somebody needs to get their brain checked out.

1) Stop thinking with your ovaries
2) Stop being a fucking idiot
3) Stop sharing your opinions

It could be violent sex.

Naturally, but I still wouldn't be interested unless it hurt somebody elses feelings at least 30% as badly as it would hurt mine.

Twinkle
03-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Personally, my opinions aren't shared all that often anyways.

Also, on the true subject of the Oscars. I think Harry Potter definitely should have won the scenery award, and not memoirs of a Geisha, who won two things.

JohnnyNemesis
03-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Heath Ledger is an embarassment to both Australia and the rest of the planet no matter how hot he is. Plenty of really good looking people don't deserve to live either, both male and female. Meh.

Not Ozymandias
03-06-2006, 11:29 AM
The following people should have their Oscars revoked immediately:

Reese Witherspoon
George Clooney
The writers of Crash
The producers of Crash
Everyone who won for Memoirs of a Geisha
The makers of March of the Penguins
The lady who won for Best Costume Design, because the gown she wore proved her not much of a costume designer

I have spoken.

Vera
03-06-2006, 11:32 AM
The lady who won for Best Costume Design, because the gown she wore proved her not much of a costume designer
Word x 1,000.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
03-06-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't even care about the Oscars anymore. This kind of thing is normal, the same with the Grammys. Last year it was Million Dollar Baby and Ray Charles. Who liked that movie and has that CD? I enjoyed Crash, and there must be more fans of Mariah but these kind of award shows get a thumbs down.

JoY
03-06-2006, 03:02 PM
*nods like her life depends on it*

sorries, still a chick.

& Sanni? your replies cracked me up like nothing can. bahahahaa.

JoY
03-06-2006, 03:04 PM
I know! there is something about Heath.

& no, it isn't his acting. *blank face*

BREAK
03-06-2006, 03:26 PM
The Oscars have always been retarded. Look at the history: any institution that awards "best picture" to My Fair Lady, The Sound Of Music, and West Side Story does not deserve to be taken seriously.

That said, I rejoiced to see Keira Knightley lose. :)

Revolver-2005?
03-06-2006, 04:13 PM
I didn't even watch the oscars...I just found the clip with Jon Stewart and watched that