PDA

View Full Version : I just realized...

T-6005
03-08-2006, 10:43 PM
I tend to think of people with fewer posts as younger most of the time, the first time I read one of their posts. That's probably because most people who join post "lolz i luv ofspring mor" a few times and then leave.

But honestly, that's the heirarchy I have in my head when I read people's posts. If it's a well-thought out or amusing post, and it's written correctly, I naturally assume that the person is older.

I realize that this doesn't hold true, but what I'm getting at here is: Do you use some sort of mental heirarchy to sort out users by how they post? Or is it just Good, Bad, Wishomie?

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-08-2006, 10:47 PM
When people use correct spelling and punctuation, I automatically add on about three years. I don't do the posts thing though.

T-6005
03-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Well, if the first post is well-written, I sort of waive that assumption.

I think it's mostly because of the way people post in Other Bands or GOD. They all have a low post count (especially Other Bands) and the way they write makes me assume that they're 12.

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-08-2006, 10:51 PM
I think you're right that there's a parallel, especially in GOD.

Another thing I add years on for is a good signature and avatar.

T-6005
03-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Haha, yes. For a cool signature I add on 1337 posts.

The avatar I'd like to say I don't notice so much, but the truth is that it's much easier to recognize users.

Except for Endy and Jebus.

Preocupado
03-08-2006, 10:54 PM
u no dat kind of teen who types liek this? That's the only kind of poster that i'll automatically disconsider.

WebDudette
03-08-2006, 11:23 PM
If they have offspring, hit that, fly white guy or anything like that in there name I assume there young and childish. Also what TUNB said about spelling and grammar.

Oh, and the people that make the "wen are u guys coming to (insert country)" always come of as young and annyoing to me. I just want to fly to (insert country) and punch them in the face.

Tizzalicious
03-08-2006, 11:59 PM
When people use correct spelling and punctuation, I automatically add on about three years. I don't do the posts thing though.

I just deduct a certain country.

T-6005
03-09-2006, 12:01 AM
I just deduct a certain country.
Notengland?

Tizzalicious
03-09-2006, 12:02 AM
No, I add that one.

the_GoDdEsS
03-09-2006, 12:15 AM
The first thing that catches my attention or makes people easy to recognise is avatar and name. It's as if you assigned something visual to the poster. Spelling and coherency follow immediately. And then I just pay attention to what the poster has to say. I don't necessarily think people with less posts are younger. It's pretty much the spelling and what they have to say that counts to me.

wheelchairman
03-09-2006, 12:28 AM
Tizz was close.

I don't add years, add posts, this or that. I categorize them as not British or British depending on their coherency, spelling, and how they represent themselves.

Of course there are some exceptions to this rule, like a smart brit here and there, or a person who is not British yet amazingly dumber than a Brit, that's pretty spectacular.

And you can instantly tell a Brit in the photoalbum. :p

Vera
03-09-2006, 02:21 AM
It always makes me feel like such an ass to find a poster at 16 or 15 who is way smarter than I ever was at that age.

Rocky-girl
03-09-2006, 05:30 AM
Do you use some sort of mental heirarchy to sort out users by how they post? Or is it just Good, Bad, Wishomie?
I think that's not right to separete peoples on Bad and Good, every peson has good and bad side, maybe sometimes you just don't see it. And really I veru rare sort users, at least I try.

Sin Studly
03-09-2006, 05:33 AM
I tend to think of people with fewer posts as younger most of the time, the first time I read one of their posts. That's probably because most people who join post "lolz i luv ofspring mor" a few times and then leave.

No, it works. All new users obviously still like the Offspring, and therefore are young, stupid, and don't know any better.

el_monkey
03-09-2006, 10:01 AM
when a user has only few posts and he licks somebody's ass ( can I say so? )
I always assume he's young

Rocky-girl
03-09-2006, 10:29 AM
No, I think he is just such person and I don't like them.

ThrashedThrasher
03-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Eh, the way I think has already been said so, I agree with T-6005, TUNB, and the_GoDdEsS.

Spelling and grammar are major to me though because I'm very anal about those kind of mistakes.