PDA

View Full Version : Reviving Ophelia..

Sunny
03-10-2006, 10:04 AM
..by Mary Pipher is an amazing book. i got it yesterday and i couldn't put it down for hours.

if you have any interest in psychology, feminism, cultural "programming", gender issues and growing up in Western society, you'd probably love it.

if you don't, hell, check it out anyway.

Vera
03-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Hmm, sounds interesting. Fiction or non-fiction?

Nina
03-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Awesome suggestion. I'll check it out (in German, mind you).

the_GoDdEsS
03-10-2006, 10:25 AM
I really don't like feminist literature. It doesn't even have to be military femimist and shit but in general, too emo, too female. I was forced to read two books by feminist authors and it wasn't my thing. Maybe not good to generalise but... So uh.

Sunny
03-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Sanni - non-fiction. the author has a Ph.D (in psychology, i believe, heh) and throughout her career as a therapist, she's had to deal with hundreds of adolescent girls (going through what she calls the Ophelia phase). this book is mostly her observations of similarities in behavior, case studies of girls, her theories why that behavior occurs, and broader commentary on growing up female.

Sim, it's not stereotypical feminist literature per se. you wouldn't find angry rants or emoness there - it's a rational and pretty relevant critique of western (that includes European) culture. it's more of a psychology study than anything else, though. certainly, she quotes The Feminine Mystique and The Second Sex, and has strong feminist leanings, but i don't see that as a flaw, more as awareness of our culture.

and speaking of stuff being "too female".. well, funnily enough, she mentions that cultural programming enforces the notion of female being "less-than" the default human (ie: male human), and as such, less deserving of consideration. so you might find it interesting as it is something that might challenge your views.

Rag Doll
03-10-2006, 12:27 PM
oooh. i should definitely pick that up. just got done with another book on women's issues (slutbashing, to be specific). Slut! by Leora Tanenbaum, if anyone's interested.

thanks for mentioning the book, Sunny.

Sunny
03-10-2006, 12:51 PM
i've heard a lot about that book. i'll definitley check it out.

other women's issues books i want to read are "fat is a feminist issue" by susie orbach and "a hunger so wide and so deep" by becky w. thompson. they mostly deal with disordered eating (well, duh) but apparently also talk about a lot of other stuff. hm.

i find that kind of literature fascinating, personally. it's so eye-opening sometimes. lame as it sounds, Reviving Ophelia had me going "oh my god... that's so true" like.. 50 times. heh.

ninthlayer
03-10-2006, 01:16 PM
zomg dykes.

JohnnyNemesis
03-10-2006, 01:27 PM
I love that shit. I'd definitely be interested in checking that one out; thanks for the review.

Nicole
03-11-2006, 12:57 AM
I'll definately have to keep an eye out for it. I've only learnt recently of the scope of feminism and that there are aspects that aren't man-bashing and generally irrational and written by people with too much anger that I could never relate to. But these days I'm a little bit more open to this kind of thing, if it makes a valid point. Cheers.

HornyPope
03-11-2006, 04:49 AM
Hey it sounds like somethng I'd like to read too. Just to see the perspective. But i'll probably hate it like i hate all critiques (because they arent mine... and only mine are accurate)

JoY
03-11-2006, 08:06 AM
sounds like something I'd enjoy a shitload. thanks, you just gave me an idea for a birthday-wish, because I never have a clue what to ask for.

Rag Doll
04-14-2006, 03:55 PM
yes, this is an old topic...but, i want to give a mention to this book somewhere and this topic seemed appropriate.

*Our Guys* by Bernard Lefkowitz. It's about the gang rape of mentally retarded girl, by a group of popular high school athletes in affluent Glen Ridge, New Jersey. It can get pretty graphic and I've definitely had to put it down because certain parts made me feel physically sick...but it's a good read. A lot of it may make you think "how is this true? how did that really happen?". Really shows how people blame the victim and the failings of the system and sex privilege. So...yeah. Check it out if any of that interests you.

Anya82
04-14-2006, 04:38 PM
nice, I'll add it to my list of books to read. :)

Endymion
04-14-2006, 04:44 PM
i love books where retarded people get what's comin' to 'em!

*cough*