PDA

View Full Version : Dexter (how does he do it?)

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
03-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Ok, i've been listening to Totalimmortal and Sin City, not to mention a few of the other covers lately, but honestly, in all the covers i have heard from different bands covering different songs...Dexter is REALLY good at matching the voice of the original singer of the song, does anybody else agree?

noodle654
03-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Yes he is, some songs he sound alittle off. Sounds good to me

Sinister
03-13-2006, 08:31 PM
I agree, except for Feelings. I haven't heard the original version. but I doubt like hell Morris Albert sang it like that.

bd007h
03-13-2006, 08:34 PM
He doesn't sound anything like Davey Havok

DeAtHsTaR
03-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Yeah.... Dexter is great at doing covers. I doubt Killboy Powerhead sounded like the Didjits version though..... haven't heard the original by the Didjits.

Drummerguy123
03-13-2006, 09:15 PM
I'd have to disagree with the first post. Dexter does not imitate the voices very well, but he doesn't need to because his voice is incredible anyway and the point of doing a cover is to make it you own anyway, not make it sound exactly the same.

Drummerguy123
03-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Yeah.... Dexter is great at doing covers. I doubt Killboy Powerhead sounded like the Didjits version though..... haven't heard the original by the Didjits.

It doesn't even sound close, but Dexter's voice is much better.

Llamas
03-13-2006, 09:40 PM
I don't think dexter sounds like the people he covers, but again, you're not supposed to sound like what you cover. it's supposed to sound different.

rlplaymaker
03-13-2006, 09:45 PM
I love the Ramones, but the offspring's cover of "i wanna be sedated" is sooooo much better than the original song....basically because of dexter

Llamas
03-13-2006, 10:01 PM
haha I agree. though the ramones were great, I love hearing dexter sing that song... same with totalimmortal. I think most of the offspring's covers are better than the originals. Though, I could be biased? :P

Drummerguy123
03-13-2006, 10:08 PM
haha I agree. though the ramones were great, I love hearing dexter sing that song... same with totalimmortal. I think most of the offspring's covers are better than the originals. Though, I could be biased? :P

Yeah, their covers were definately bettter than all the originals. The only one that might not be as good as the original would be Hey Joe, but I still enjoy The Offspring's version more because of it's fast tempo.

WebDudette
03-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Totalimmortal cover was terrible.

Mr. Noodles
03-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Quote of rlplaymaker

I love the Ramones, but the offspring's cover of "i wanna be sedated" is sooooo much better than the original song....basically because of dexter

Quote of ilovellamas

I agree with both of u.
Dexter makes the Ramones cover sound a lot better than the original. :D

Llamas
03-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Totalimmortal cover was terrible.

really? hmm. I like AFI plenty, but I think the offspring's cover of that song sounds better...

.:SMASH:.
03-14-2006, 02:13 AM
yer i reckon also. except totalimmortal. i liked the afi version 5 times better

Danboy_88_No_Hero
03-14-2006, 05:02 AM
I think that totalimortal sounds better coming from the offspring because it seems faster and has alot more energy than a.f.i's version.Wierd thing is that I didn't really like totalimortal until I heard the Offspring's version I like Boy who destroyed the world the best off all hallows e.p.

offspring_freak_3
03-14-2006, 08:11 AM
I'd have to disagree with the first post. Dexter does not imitate the voices very well, but he doesn't need to because his voice is incredible anyway and the point of doing a cover is to make it you own anyway, not make it sound exactly the same.
i second every single work you just said

_JJB
03-14-2006, 08:15 AM
In my opinion Dexter has good very good voice and that's mainly why can he sing lots of songs, don't you think?

Emily_offspring_fan
03-14-2006, 09:10 AM

hmm I think the original version of the Didjits sucks but I like the Offspring version a lot.