PDA

View Full Version : What instrument requires the most skill?

Skip91
03-14-2006, 11:59 PM
So what instrument does require the most skill? When I say this I mean do you think that Guitarists like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen are better than Drummers like Steve Gad, Buddy Rich and Dave Weckel or than Bassists like Flea from the Chilli Peppers?

mrconeman
03-15-2006, 03:47 AM
Popular rock instruments are wayyyyyyy at the bottem of the barell when it comes to hardest instrument to play.

Talman
03-15-2006, 06:30 AM
Every instrument is hard to play when you're just starting out. Everyone finds different instruments difficult. But standard Rock instruments aren't the easiest to play. Once you actually learn how to play any type of instrument it just depends how well you excel at learning.

Some people literally can't play drums. You need co-ordination and rythm, and not everyone has co-ordination.Anyone can sit down at a drum kit and get a noise out the thing, but if you gave someone a guitar they wouldn't know how to get a decent note out of it without being shown how.

Bass however is an easy instrument to play in my opinion. There's nothing hard about it. Big frets, big strings, limited amount of notes and chords. Any good guitarist can pick up a bass and shred away on the thing.

JoY
03-15-2006, 06:49 AM
having attempted to play quite a few instruments, I'd say that violin is the hardest to play. (my personal opinion) the location where you put your finger has to be extremely exact, the position of your arms is incredibly unnatural & has to exactly right, or else you'll fuck up a muscle, or a tendon. plus the coordination of the arms, one with the bow, synchronised with the other pressing the snares.. I could play a lot of things by ear, but with the violin I need the technique I once was taught so much, I couldn't do jack shit without it.

killer_queen
03-15-2006, 07:13 AM
It's easy to learn to play piano but being a professional must be the hardest. I agree with Bella about violin. Also cellos are not easy but at least you don't have to carry them. Learning how to make a sound with flute is pretty hard and needs skills and available body parts to play it (like thin lips) and carrying it needs effort.

JoY
03-15-2006, 07:24 AM
what seems most difficult to me, when it comes to any instrument like the flute, is always needing to have breath available. & not being able to eat during rehearsels. :p or else everything will get stuck inside your instrument.

clarinets are relatively simple to play on & also the flute. I have big lips & it takes some effort, but I *can* produce a sound & once you can, you only have to push the right buttons. what seems most difficult to me is the trombone (you need to slide the 'pipe' exactly right & everything depends on lip-tension) & horn. when a horn isn't wrapped into the round thing that it is, it's about 3 meters long. try to press air through that! ugh. same with a fagot. (I've tried out so many instruments! yay for symphonic orchestras)

what's a plus when it comes to cellos, is that the black wood under the snares ('toets' in Dutch) is way longer than that of a violin. so you don't have to place your fingers as exact. I like that. & the fact that it's as low as it is & that you can place it on the floor. mmm.

killer_queen
03-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Flute is especially hard for people who can't stop giggling in front of big crowds like me. I have a lot of emabrrassing memories about it.

JoY
03-15-2006, 07:37 AM
that used to my best form of entertainment; making my friend, the flutiste, laugh during concerts. mwahaha.

el_monkey
03-15-2006, 07:57 AM
the one that I know no player of , is didgeridoo. I think even for basic skills you need to train hard, because there's this very special breathing method.

but there's not just one correct answer.
you couls also say guitar needs most skill if you wanna play with a mach 3 velocity :D

T-6005
03-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Fretless instruments seem like they'd be the hardest, to me. Or anything without a way to produce exact notes. This includes everything from Violins and cellos to trombones and sanchin.

coke_a_holic
03-15-2006, 11:47 AM
I'd say the trombone, but that's just because stringed instruments are pretty easy to me. The trombone has no way to gauge what how far you move the slide to get the right notes, it takes lots of precision and practice; something I lacked when I picked it up/dropped it in 4th grade.

0r4ng3
03-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Fretless instruments seem like they'd be the hardest, to me. Or anything without a way to produce exact notes. This includes everything from Violins and cellos to trombones and sanchin.
I agree with this. Without frets, I have no idea how they work.

pyromaniac
03-15-2006, 01:38 PM
a quad-electric-guitar... :D

harrytaylor
03-15-2006, 02:04 PM
I say the Banjo, it just has to many strings u know...

Sinister
03-15-2006, 02:08 PM
I think the bagpipe is the hardest thing to play. the technique is really weird.

coke_a_holic
03-15-2006, 02:38 PM
I say the Banjo, it just has to many strings u know...
You're fucking retarded, seriously. A banjo has 4 strings, you're thinking of a completely different instrument.

Which brings me to my next point: the sitar looks insanely hard to play.

T-6005
03-15-2006, 04:09 PM
I think the bagpipe is the hardest thing to play. the technique is really weird.
A bagpipe is hard to get sound out of. Which I'd count as an entirely different thing from how difficult it is.

coke_a_holic
03-15-2006, 04:57 PM
http://www.engineering.usu.edu/ece/faculty/wheeler/NIU/Images/sitar.jpg

16-17 strings of FURY. But yeah, it's an Indian instrument.

Also, he wasn't being sarcastic he just has no idea what he's talking about.

Drummerguy123
03-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Violin and piano are supposedly the hardest to play, but I know from experience that accordion is very hard. But to top the list of hardest instruments to play, I'd have to say the kazoo. Damn thing took me years to figure out! :mad:

pyromaniac
03-15-2006, 05:17 PM
http://www.engineering.usu.edu/ece/faculty/wheeler/NIU/Images/sitar.jpg
:eek: what will they come up with next?!

Andy
03-15-2006, 06:38 PM
Surely difficulty is subjective? What may be easy for one, will be near impossible for another. Personally I would say intricate and delicate instruments like the Harp most difficult, because I don't have the discipline or patience to use every one of my fingers individually*.

*why does that spelling look so wrong?

pyromaniac
03-15-2006, 06:42 PM
you spelled 'individually' right.

Eddie
03-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Bass however is an easy instrument to play in my opinion. There's nothing hard about it. Big frets, big strings, limited amount of notes and chords. Any good guitarist can pick up a bass and shred away on the thing.

Imo, I don't agree with this.
I've been a guitar player for many years and I can't do anything at all on a bass guitar. Sure there's not a lot of chords but the different techniques with fingers or slap bass, harmonics and stuff are pretty difficult.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think guitar and bass are similar. It's two very different worlds and honnestly I am really poor at bass playing.

Jebus
03-15-2006, 10:52 PM
You're an idiot.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I'm not sure what I'd do without my frets.

Also, eletric guitar isn't the hardest thing to master but classical guitar is a completely different instrument. I think it might somewhere up there with violin. The discipline it takes to play classical guitar is so overwhelming. I mean, the positions are damn awkward since you have to be playing bass and treble notes at the same time. EDIT: Here's an interesting video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6416705611075195897). My favorite part starts around the 42th minute mark.

Duskygrin
03-15-2006, 11:20 PM
it's hard to get to learn the violin, but it gets easier later on.
it's easy to strike a few keys on the piano, but to tame the beast it requires much effort, skill, assiduity, & talent.

as for the other instruments I have barely an idea. oh yeah... when my bro started on the didgeridoo I thought I would go mad. a pretty distressful experience -part of the reason I moved out.

Vera
03-15-2006, 11:27 PM
I hear a sitar player takes 20 years to learn how to play the instrument, 20 years to play it as a profession and 20 years to teach others how it's played. So yeah, doesn't sound like the easiest instrument to master.

mrconeman
03-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Some people literally can't play drums. You need co-ordination and rythm, and not everyone has co-ordination.Anyone can sit down at a drum kit and get a noise out the thing, but if you gave someone a guitar they wouldn't know how to get a decent note out of it without being shown how.

No.
Anyone without any natural rythm or co-ordination can be taught, why do you think we have teachers? and that doesnt just go for drums, someone without any rythm or co-ordination will be a hopeless musician with any instrument.

That bass bit was just silly too. Its arguably easier to play than a guitar depending on style of what you want to play, I'm a semi-decent rock lead guitar player but I couldnt slap on a bass to save my life, point proved right there.

The argument also turns the other way, because the physics of the bass and guitar are so similar it will be naturally easier for any bassist to switch to a guitar and guitarist to bass than it would for someone with no musical experiances.

And I disagree that popular rock instruments arent the easiest, I think they are. Point taken that it depends on what exactly 'learning' is, is it learning a few chords, or totaly mastering the isntrument. But either way, just about every other instrument like violin, piano, all sorts of wind instruments, I would say are harder than bass/guitar/drums.