PDA

View Full Version : famous quotes by famous people.

pyromaniac
03-15-2006, 05:22 PM
hey guys.
How about a thread about things famous people have said?
go for it.(here's an example below)

pyromaniac
03-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
-confucious

Iddy
03-15-2006, 05:30 PM
"Being Irish, I have an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains me through temporary periods of joy"

-WB Yeats

pyromaniac
03-15-2006, 05:53 PM
I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I am not.
-Kurt Cobain

Andy
03-15-2006, 06:21 PM
I'll have to insert some Ghandi in here. When he arrived in the UK, and was asked by a reporter what he thought about Western Civilisation he answered, "I think it would be a good idea".

He may have worn a nappy but he was one sharp motherfucker.

T-6005
03-15-2006, 06:22 PM
He may have worn a nappy but he was one sharp motherfucker.
Tell me if you're ever famous. Because this will come up again.

JohnnyNemesis
03-15-2006, 06:24 PM
I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I am not.
-Kurt Cobain

Pfft, Cobain wasn't famous.

coke_a_holic
03-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Who's Kurt Cobain? Was he a politician?

pyromaniac
03-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Pfft, Cobain wasn't famous.
well...he is "well-known".

All About Eve
Mike, have you read The Education of Little Tree by any chance?

0r4ng3
I dunno, I'll look for a MySpace.

pyromaniac
03-15-2006, 06:32 PM
a small leak can sink a great ship
-Ben Franklin

Andy
03-15-2006, 06:33 PM
"I am what I am"
- Popeye the Sailor Man

coke_a_holic
03-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Mike, have you read The Education of Little Tree by any chance?
Was I supposed to?

pyromaniac
03-15-2006, 06:37 PM
history shows that there are no invincible armies
-Joseph Stalin

All About Eve
03-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Was I supposed to?

I don't know, it's about a little part Indian kid living with his grandparents and all that jazz, and his grandfather is dead set against 'politicians' (anyone who wears a suit) and goes on about it the whole book. It's actually the only Indian learning based books I've ever liked though.

coke_a_holic
03-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Nope, can't recall it. I did read The Sign of the Beaver, which, despite having a hilarious title for my 5th grade mind, I can't remember much else about.

Here's a quote for all of you:

"In the early days all I hoped was to make a living out of what I did best. But since there's no real market for masturbation, I had to fall back on my bass playing abilities."

-Les Claypool

Paint_It_Black
03-15-2006, 06:45 PM

I think he used to be in Foo Fighters.

More Gandhi for you:

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Drummerguy123
03-15-2006, 06:46 PM
"I am what I am"
- Popeye the Sailor Man

*ahem*

"I yam what I yam."
- Popeye the Sailor Man

pyromaniac
03-15-2006, 06:48 PM
I think he used to be in Foo Fighters.
yeah I think so,because I watched something and the lead singer of the Foo Fighters was talking about him like he used to be in their band.

barangatang
03-15-2006, 06:49 PM
"A verbal contract is not worth the paper it's written on."
-Samuel Goldwyn

Camilamazed
03-15-2006, 06:51 PM
If you love me fuck me , if you don't love me fuck you.

- probably a rebel emo.

All About Eve
03-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Don Marquis had a bunch of good ones. He was a poet with a daily collumn in a paper, and wrote poems through a Archie the cockroach who interviewed different animals and such and gave his views on the world through the cockroach.

-A pessimist is a person who has had to listen to too many optimists.

-A sequel is an admission that you've been reduced to imitating yourself.

-Bores bore each other too; but it never seems to teach them anything.

-I get up in the morning with an idea for a three-volume novel and by nightfall it's a paragraph in my column.

-In order to influence a child, one must be careful not to be that child's parent or grandparent.

-Ours is a world where people don't know what they want and are willing to go through hell to get it.

Sin Studly
03-15-2006, 07:28 PM
My favourite Irish

A true friend stabs you in the front.

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.

Ambition is the last refuge of the failure.

As yet, Bernard Shaw hasn't become prominent enough to have any enemies, but none of his friends like him.

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.

How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.

I am not young enough to know everything.

I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself.

I can resist everything except temptation.

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.

I sometimes think that God in creating man somewhat overestimated his ability.

It is better to be beautiful than to be good. But... it is better to be good than to be ugly.

It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true.

One can survive everything, nowadays, except death, and live down everything except a good reputation.

One of the many lessons that one learns in prison is, that things are what they are and will be what they will be.

One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.

One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards.

The difference between literature and journalism is that journalism is unreadable and literature is not read.

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

These days man knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

When a man has once loved a woman he will do anything for her except continue to love her.

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Jebus
03-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Excerpts of a couple letters from James Joyce to his wife when he went to Dublin:

At every fuck I gave you your shameless tongue came bursting out through your lips and if a gave you a bigger stronger fuck than usual, fat dirty farts came spluttering out of your backside. You had an arse full of farts that night, darling, and I fucked them out of you, big fat fellows, long windy ones, quick little merry cracks and a lot of tiny little naughty farties ending in a long gush from your hole. It is wonderful to fuck a farting woman when every fuck drives one out of her.

Tired of lying under a man one night you tore off your chemise violently and got on top of me to ride me naked. You stuck my prick into your cunt and began to ride me up and down. Perhaps the horn I had was not big enough for you for I remember that you bent down to me face and murmured tenderly "Fuck up, love! Fuck up, love!"
such a dirty man...I <3 him

EDIT: well, not famous...

Sin Studly
03-15-2006, 09:55 PM
I believe that was a Wilde quote, not a Shaw quote, Maria.

Sin Studly
03-15-2006, 10:05 PM
With a source like that, how can I doubt you?

.:SMASH:.
03-15-2006, 10:24 PM
i ate a big red candle - that retard on anchorman

Sin Studly
03-15-2006, 10:41 PM
just shut up & look it up for yourself leetle mr knowitall.

I did. The internet also says it's a Wilde quote. Heavens, who am I to believe now?

wheelchairman
03-15-2006, 11:34 PM
One man with a gun can control 20 without.
- V. I. Lenin

History is a set of lies agreed upon.
- Napoleon

It is better for a Prince to appear virtuous than to actually be it.
- Niccolo Macchiavelli

And I had some more, but it's 8.30 am and I won't be able to think of them. Here is one that continues to be popular among Stalinists,

Thoughts are far more dangerous than bullets, if we wouldn't let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have thoughts?
- J. V. Stalin

Rocky-girl
03-16-2006, 05:06 AM
It's better to do nothing than do nothing. Tacit

Platon is my friend but I value truth more. Aristotel

Mud blinks while sun shine. B.Shaw

Try to have that you love or you have to love that you have. B.Shaw

Study, study and one more time study

If you want to be happy person, be that person!

demon_slayer
03-16-2006, 07:55 AM
yippy yeah ky ah mother fucker

el_monkey
03-16-2006, 09:18 AM
"Do it like I do, earn money!" - fatass silvio berlusconi to the poor population of italy about how to get out of poverty
he's just laughable

ruroken
03-16-2006, 09:29 AM
The person I have chosen is the second most famous non-Offspring member. The most famous (I would assume) being Justin.

Your mother's a whore.

ruroken
03-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Fuck it, two tears and a bucket

From here on, I'll be quoting Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, because I've been playing WWWWWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY too much of them.

"Lower thine guard and thou art allowing the enemy in." - Frog

And the most inspirational: "Drooooooooooo!!" - Yakra

"There are two sides to every coin. Love and
hate. Life and death. They are all the same."
- Lynx, Chrono Cross

"There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death."
- Miguel, Chrono Cross

"In order to survive, all living things in this world fight desperately and
devour those they defeat... Must one kill other living things in order to
survive? Must one destroy another world in order to allow one's own world
to continue? The wounded in turn wound and torment those weaker than they
themselves are... There are only the killers and the killed... The sinners
who are judged, and the victims that do the judging. What meaning is there
to such a world?"
- Time Devourer (Dragon Gods), Chrono Cross

Sin Studly
03-16-2006, 12:37 PM
You really suck, ruroken.

pyromaniac
03-16-2006, 01:36 PM
all men by nature desire to know.
-Aristotle
all paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind
-Aristotle

Preocupado
03-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Friends call themselves sincere; the enemies are. Arthur Schopenhauer.

Sin Studly
03-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Some from one of my favourite men.

"[Constable Hall] called for assistance to a man named Cohan and Barnett Lewis, Thompson Jewell, two blacksmiths who was looking on I dare not strike any of them as I was bound to keep the peace or I could have spread those curs like dung in a paddock" (after a policeman tried to shoot him in the head three times, at age fourteen)

"but [the police] knew well I was not there or I would have scattered their blood and brains like rain I would manure the Eleven mile with their bloated carcases and yet remember there is not one drop of murderous blood in my Veins."

"the bullet passed through the right side of [Constable Kennedy's] chest & he could not live" (after the Stringybark gunfight)

"all those that have reason to fear me had better sell out and give 10 out of every hundred to the widow and orphan fund and do not attempt to reside in Victoria but as short a time as possible after reading this notice neglect this and abide by the consequence which shall be worse than rust in wheat in Victoria or the drought of a dry season to the grasshoppers in N.S.Wales I do not wish to give the order full force without giving timely warning but I am a Widow's Son, outlawed and my orders must be obeyed" (final paragraph of the Jerilderie Letter)

"Ah well, I suppose it has come to this. Such is life" (last words, spoken at the gallows)

Jakebert
03-16-2006, 06:20 PM
"Your kid is not special. You think it's special that one seed in over 10 million connected with an egg? Big-whoop. You want special? I've whiped entire civilizations off of my chest with a gray gym sock."
-Bill Hicks

"Everyone should think for themselves. I learned that in a book I got called Everyone Should Think For Themselves..
-Christopher Titus

"I have just as much authority as the Pope. I just don't have as many people that believe it."
-George Carlin

XYlophonetreeZ
03-16-2006, 11:37 PM
"Because it is there."- George Mallory

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Douglas Adams

"Both salvation and punishment for man lie in the fact that if he lives in the wrong way he can befuddle himself so as not to see the misery of his position."- Leo Tolstoy

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."- Neils Bohr

killer_queen
03-17-2006, 02:05 AM
Excerpts of a couple letters from James Joyce to his wife when he went to Dublin:

such a dirty man...I <3 him

EDIT: well, not famous...
I love you for <3ing Joyce.

wheelchairman
03-17-2006, 02:09 AM
I don't know how anyone who read A Portrait can like him.. ick

the_GoDdEsS
03-17-2006, 02:11 AM

I didn't like it either. Meh. I read one story from Dubliners though, which was fine. But still nothing so impressive.

killer_queen
03-17-2006, 02:12 AM

I can't understand how you could find it boring. It was the best book I read this year.

Not Ozymandias
03-17-2006, 02:25 AM
Had we gone into Baghdad - we could have done it, you guys could have done it, you could have been there in 48 hours - and then what? Which sergeant, which private, whose life would be at stake in perhaps a fruitless hunt in an urban guerilla war to find the most-secure dictator in the world? Whose life would be on my hands as the commander-in-chief because I, unilaterally, went beyond the international law, went beyond the stated mission, and said we're going to show our macho? We're going into Baghdad. We're going to be an occupying power - America in an Arab land - with no allies at our side. It would have been disastrous.
Nyuk, nyuk.

HornyPope
03-17-2006, 03:48 AM
Meh, the thread had more potential.

The Wilde quotes are nice, Justin, but Lord Henry should never be taken at face value... except for that it sounds witty and awesome... but it really lacks depth. Or something. Can't quite nail it.

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 03:57 AM
If only you could bottle and sell pretentiousness..

offspringrammsteinfan
03-17-2006, 01:26 PM
I love this one, Yeah I would love to taste her lotion :p

I love to put on lotion. Sometimes I'll watch TV and go into a lotion trance for an hour. I try to find brands that don't taste bad in case anyone wants to taste me.
Angelina Jolie

pyromaniac
03-17-2006, 07:06 PM
The beast in me is caged by frail and fragile bars.
-Johnny Cash