PDA

View Full Version : May the luck of the Irish be with you today

Camilamazed
03-16-2006, 08:40 PM
So, It's Saint Patrick's day. I'm reading about it right now. :)

Sin Studly
03-16-2006, 09:01 PM
"O Paddy dear, and did ye hear the news that's goin' round?
The shamrock is by law forbid to grow on Irish ground!
No more Saint Patrick's Day we'll keep, his color can't be seen
For there's a cruel law against the Wearin' o' the Green."
I met with Napper Tandy, and he took me by the hand,
And he said, "How's poor old Ireland, and how does she stand?"
"She's the most distressful country that ever yet was seen,
For they're hanging men and women there for the Wearin' o' the Green."

"So if the color we must wear be England's cruel red
Let it remind us of the blood that Irishmen have shed;
And pull the shamrock from your hat, and throw it on the sod
But never fear, 'twill take root there, though underfoot 'tis trod.
When laws can stop the blades of grass from growin' as they grow
And when the leaves in summer-time their color dare not show,
Then I will change the color too I wear in my caubeen;
But till that day, please God, I'll stick to the Wearin' o' the Green

edit;
With an aidee aidee aidee and an aidee aidee ay,
The English are all bad!

mrconeman
03-16-2006, 09:21 PM
I love living in Ireland this time of year, tomorow should be fun filled with me getting shitfaced :D
Merry Paddys day!

T-6005
03-16-2006, 09:32 PM
I plan to be hammered in tribute to the Irish. Who are lesser than my own people, but still worthwhile drinkers.

mrconeman
03-16-2006, 09:36 PM
Lesser than Canadians?
Maybe you meant Iraqi..or Iranian or even Icelandic ...not Irish

~*hit_that*~
03-16-2006, 10:02 PM
happy st paddy's day from a fookin cold england rofl!

am on le guinness later (as i usually drink it anyway) :)

Paint_It_Black
03-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Lesser than Canadians?

He's not Canadian. He's far worse than that I'm afraid.

Sin Studly
03-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Even the Iranians, Iraqis and Icelandics are better than the loath-ed French!

Sin Studly
03-16-2006, 11:03 PM
A gift to you all on this great day!

Click (http://s12.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2BW81I06C10FT32FNCN2ZSBHEA)

sk8ter-hater
03-16-2006, 11:31 PM
It's an Irish holiday, if you're not Irish, shut the fuck up.
Had to let that out.

GreenTerror
03-16-2006, 11:45 PM
Who came up with the pinching thing? I don't understand it. But I never get pinched. Anyone who's stupid and says my hair doesn't count and pinches me anyway usually get punched in the face.

Andy
03-17-2006, 12:33 AM
St Paddy's day: the one day of the year I refuse to drink Guinness. Nothing against the Irish; I just don't like looking like one of those pathetic people who only drink it because of the occaison.

I have Irish roots, and I wore green once last week, so I wish you all a Happy Paddy's day!

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 02:13 AM
You're still a hated britfag. St. Paddy's should be known as "Irish for a day", it should be known as "Wanting Andy to get shredded by PIRA shrapnel for a day".

Not Ozymandias
03-17-2006, 02:22 AM
I always felt that wishing someone the "luck of the Irish" was a subtle way of wishing them misfortune. What's "lucky" about a people who were colonized by a nation of brain-dead, green-toothed, death-complexion limey faggots? Need I even mention the Irish Curse?

Releasing V For Vendetta on St. Patrick's Day was a brilliant idea, I always feel like blowing up Parliament myself every March 17.

Iddy
03-17-2006, 03:25 AM
It's an Irish holiday, if you're not Irish, shut the fuck up.
Had to let that out.

And what is so great about us is that everyone is welcome at the party!

oh and Justin.. thanks for the track! Don't have that version..

I'm wearing a green ribbon in my hair as I type and Shamrock in my lapel later :)

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 04:25 AM
This holiday pisses me off. People in the US go crazy for it. And you know what else pisses me off? Irish Americans. You're not fucking Irish. Just because one of your ancestors was Irish doesn't mean shit. Same for African Americans, Italian Americans and anyone else. Stop it, you're just American. I know that sucks, but get over it. Stop trying to steal another nationality and accept that you're just another god damn yank.

However, I do think that Americans of Indian (true Indian, not Native American) descent should call themselves Indian Americans just to confuse everyone.

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 04:27 AM
Italians are Italians. Forever. You don't get Italian Americans, Italian Australians, Italian Canadians, that kind of shit. You just get Italians. Full stop. Even when they're twelfth fucking generation, they refuse to go by anything else. And they keep their culture.

More power to 'em, I guess.

But the African and Irish thing is true enough.

wheelchairman
03-17-2006, 04:28 AM
Why not? People can relate to their ancestry in the way that they want. It's part of getting to know your place in the world (as an American, and in America) and it's necessary for the people of a country who's history starts 200 years ago.

Not to mention the fact that most of the Irish in America have been here for barely 100 years.

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 04:30 AM
If you haven't maintained your culture, you've integrated.

If you're an American nigger and don't know what tribe you came from, you're American, not African American. If you're an American of bogtrotter ancestry and don't ship guns to the Old Country, you're an American, not Irish American.

JoY
03-17-2006, 04:35 AM
This holiday pisses me off. People in the US go crazy for it. And you know what else pisses me off? Irish Americans. You're not fucking Irish. Just because one of your ancestors was Irish doesn't mean shit. Same for African Americans, Italian Americans and anyone else. Stop it, you're just American. I know that sucks, but get over it. Stop trying to steal another nationality and accept that you're just another god damn yank.

However, I do think that Americans of Indian (true Indian, not Native American) descent should call themselves Indian Americans just to confuse everyone.
it's fucking funny that Americans are so proud to be American, but many still would like to associate themselves with another nationality. American pride. there's nothing more hilarious.

wheelchairman
03-17-2006, 04:37 AM
Now I don't get it. It's not more ridiculous than being proud of Holland or being proud of being Dutch. The difference is that the land America is not the same as the blood.

JoY
03-17-2006, 04:40 AM
though I recognise the fact that my grandfather originally came from Germany, I'd never call myself a native German, or something ridiculous like that. my family from the other side is partly Scottish, but I'd never NEVER say I'm partly Scottish aswell. see my point? (or well, Richard's point) I'm Dutch. I'm not necessarily extremely proud to be Dutch, but I am & I'd never want to be associated with any other nationality, because this IS my nationality. even if I were pitchblack, I'd be Dutch.

wheelchairman
03-17-2006, 04:44 AM
Perhaps. But you are in a country that is homogenously Dutch. And you have mentioned the fact that you are also Jewish. I mean it is something that has been heard before.

In a country with a short history, you seek for what your history was before that. In a country with no national homogeny you seek for where you belong. It's perfectly normal. You see what I mean?

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 05:00 AM
it's fucking funny that Americans are so proud to be American, but many still would like to associate themselves with another nationality. American pride. there's nothing more hilarious.

That has occurred to me too. And the other point you raised, which is that only Americans seem to do this.

The difference is that the land America is not the same as the blood.

So? Blood has very little to do with who we are. The society in which we live accounts for almost everything. Let me give a fictional example of three white Americans who grew up in the same town. The first American's grandparents were English. The second American's grandparents were Irish, and the third American's grandparents were German. Now, does the location of their grandparents birth really have any relevance to their lives? They all look alike and talk alike, share the same values and concepts of morality. There's no difference unless they choose to create the illusion of one.

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 05:09 AM
If they've maintained their culture, there's still a difference. Fool.

JoY
03-17-2006, 05:11 AM
And you have mentioned the fact that you are also Jewish. I mean it is something that has been heard before.

"However, I do think that Americans of Indian (true Indian, not Native American) descent should call themselves Indian Americans just to confuse everyone."

that is mostly for the above mentioned reason. I mean, come on, even my grandfather hated orthodox Jews.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 05:19 AM
If they've maintained their culture, there's still a difference. Fool.

Maintained their culture? It's not possible. They can play at it, wear green once a year or whatever, but that is not maintaining a culture. It's an illusion people create to feel special and somewhat unique. Sure there's a difference, but it's usually artificial and stupid.

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 05:26 AM
Maintained their culture? It's not possible. They can play at it, wear green once a year or whatever, but that is not maintaining a culture. It's an illusion people create to feel special and somewhat unique. Sure there's a difference, but it's usually artificial and stupid.

And then there's the people who speak the language of the old country at home, observe the holidays of their old culture, spend most of their social time at the local Turk/Greek/Serb/Whatever club, and carry on the deep ethnic hatreds of their people.

I'm not talking about the 1/32nd Irish morons from New York here, I'm talking about people who've maintained their national heritage and culture. And yes, it happens.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 05:33 AM
And yes, it happens.

I'm sure it does. But it's a small minority, and therefor irrelevant to my complaint. On the other hand, many Americans like to mention their "heritage" while knowing almost nothing about it and maintaining none of the culture. That is what irritates me, and it's very common.

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 05:37 AM
A small minority. Amongst the Italians? The Jews? The Greeks or Turks? Hell no.

Amongst the Irish, it almost never happens. They forget their heritage by the second generation.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 05:41 AM
A small minority. Amongst the Italians? The Jews? The Greeks or Turks? Hell no.

Amongst the general population of Americans. It's a general complaint based on repeated observation.

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 05:43 AM
Does it apply to Italian Americans and Jewish Americans? How many have you met that don't speak Italian/Hebrew?

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 05:53 AM
Does it apply to Italian Americans and Jewish Americans? How many have you met that don't speak Italian/Hebrew?

I don't know any of them well enough to say. My experiences have mostly been with African, Irish, Scottish, and German Americans. I've been to many parts of America, but I'll admit I really only know a lot about the people in the mid-west. I suppose I'm willing to accept that other parts of the country could be significantly different.

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 06:03 AM
African, Irish, Scottish, and German Americans

You're right. But don't think it extends to all minorities.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Fair enough.

mrconeman
03-17-2006, 06:22 AM
Cant say I've ever met an "Irish-American", but unless directly both or at least one parents are Irish, they loose the right to call themself Irish in my opinion.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 06:25 AM
And for once the opinion of an Irishman actually counts.

Seriously though, do you find it offensive when Americans call themselves Irish? Or just silly?

JoY
03-17-2006, 06:33 AM
And then there's the people who speak the language of the old country at home, observe the holidays of their old culture, spend most of their social time at the local Turk/Greek/Serb/Whatever club, and carry on the deep ethnic hatreds of their people.

I'm not talking about the 1/32nd Irish morons from New York here, I'm talking about people who've maintained their national heritage and culture. And yes, it happens.
I fully agree with that. if there's anything we Dutchies have to deal with a LOT, it's foreigners maintaining their culture here. mostly because we invited them here to pick up our trash, but yeah.. it forms a problem now, because there are so many foreigners, who were raised here, have lived here for years & still refuse to act remotely 'Dutch', that our cultures clash.

those kind of people are actually pretty annoying. the other day I met someone from England, who's lived here over 25 years & still doesn't speak a word Dutch. I mean, if you plan to stay here, make an effort to mingle. fuck.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 06:36 AM
Bella, I read recently that prospective immigrants now have to take a test, aswell as watch a video involving men kissing and a topless woman. I think I like your country.

JoY
03-17-2006, 07:09 AM
we do. part of the test is published on the internet & most Dutch fail it. you have to know quite a lot about the Dutch topography, attitude (like, one question was what you'd do if you weren't invited to a wedding, but still would like to congratulate the couple in a Dutch way), history, royalty, insurances, finances, etc, etc.

I passed it with a 5.5. :/ but my boyfriend filled in a couple of wrong anwers for me. then again, he filled in a couple of correct ones too. we suck. we so suck. but seriously, how am I supposed to know how long it takes by train to go from Amsterdam to Enschede? I've never even fucking been in Enschede.

*Edit: about the homosexuality; there was a question how you'd react here if two men are kissing in a bar. three options; saying as loud as possible to your friend that gay men are disgusting - telling them to knock it off - letting them in their value & ignore it. the last one was correct, since - yesyes - autonomy & freedom of choice & sexuality is extremely important from a Dutch viewpoint.

Not Ozymandias
03-17-2006, 07:49 AM
Ever notice how the American descendants of filthy limey scum never refer to themselves as English-Americans? Almost like they're ashamed....

wheelchairman
03-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Maybe in Holland it's a problem, but seeing as there is no homogenous culture in America, it is perfectly acceptable to explore your own heritage. There should never be a problem with that.

And why should they act remotely Dutch? They are the underclass of Dutch society, you have brain surgeons driving taxi cabs. If I were them, I wouldn't want to be Dutch either for that kind of ridiculous abuse.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 07:58 AM
Every notice how the American descendants of filthy limey scum never refer to themselves as English-Americans? Almost like they're ashamed....

Ah, I can see how you might draw that incorrect conclusion. It's actually that they have the intelligence to just call themselves American, probably because of their superior English genes.

I could almost say that with a straight face. Almost.

JoY
03-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Maybe in Holland it's a problem, but seeing as there is no homogenous culture in America, it is perfectly acceptable to explore your own heritage. There should never be a problem with that.

And why should they act remotely Dutch? They are the underclass of Dutch society, you have brain surgeons driving taxi cabs. If I were them, I wouldn't want to be Dutch either for that kind of ridiculous abuse.
that's extremely NOT the case. originally we invited them in, because they were unemployed & broke, to do 'our dirty work' (unethical, if you ask me). now I have shitloads of 'them' walking around at my university.

what I said, is what I meant; if you go somewhere & you plan on staying there, fucking mingle. like Iz - she studied her ass off to learn Dutch, so she could speak with the people. I mean, I know it's convenient that almost all Dutch speak English, but not all do & it's not our first language. if you want to live here, it's just a hell of a lot more practical if you speak the language & can understand our culture.

over here we cope with issues like 'bloodrevenge'. we & our lawsystem simply won't accept dads stabbing their daughters, because their virginity was taken before marriage. I mean, SERIOUSLY. I'm very open minded, but we have a system here & it's always worked & we won't adjust it for people who came to live here. catch my drift? the Dutch culture clashes with extreme cultures. generally not with that of Italians, the English, or whatever.

*Edit; too much fucking Dutch influences in my English. Engluch, lolz.

Rocky-girl
03-17-2006, 08:46 AM
St.Patric's Day. In Moscow is exceed some sreets, as a holiday can be celebrated. But I don't understand one thing are there too many Irish in Moscow?

Not Ozymandias
03-17-2006, 08:46 AM
Please stop posting.

Not Ozymandias
03-17-2006, 08:48 AM
superior English genes.
Oh, if only you were serious, I would've been able to quote literally thousands of posts just from this board that demonstrate the opposite is true.

Suddenly I miss the horsefaced Nazi Jew.

Rocky-girl
03-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Please stop posting.
Exuse me that I've broken your interesting talk.

Not Ozymandias
03-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Please stop posting. I'm not kidding.

Rocky-girl
03-17-2006, 08:56 AM
And what are you gonna do?

Not Ozymandias
03-17-2006, 08:59 AM
This message is hidden because Rocky-girl is on your ignore list.

Rocky-girl
03-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Just right, that's the best way, thought it'll be hidden 'cause RG is on your ignore list.

Camilamazed
03-17-2006, 09:04 AM

Just like the Halloween. They celebrate it as if it was part of their past.

demon_slayer
03-17-2006, 09:04 AM
the luck better be with me i have things to do that need some luck

wheelchairman
03-17-2006, 09:46 AM
that's extremely NOT the case. originally we invited them in, because they were unemployed & broke, to do 'our dirty work' (unethical, if you ask me). now I have shitloads of 'them' walking around at my university.

what I said, is what I meant; if you go somewhere & you plan on staying there, fucking mingle. like Iz - she studied her ass off to learn Dutch, so she could speak with the people. I mean, I know it's convenient that almost all Dutch speak English, but not all do & it's not our first language. if you want to live here, it's just a hell of a lot more practical if you speak the language & can understand our culture.

over here we cope with issues like 'bloodrevenge'. we & our lawsystem simply won't accept dads stabbing their daughters, because their virginity was taken before marriage. I mean, SERIOUSLY. I'm very open minded, but we have a system here & it's always worked & we won't adjust it for people who came to live here. catch my drift? the Dutch culture clashes with extreme cultures. generally not with that of Italians, the English, or whatever.

*Edit; too much fucking Dutch influences in my English. Engluch, lolz.

No one's defending blood revenge. That is not even part of the discussion. The discussion at hand is that these people don't need to be Dutch. You want them to mingle, but you don't seem to want them to walk around at your University. Make up your damn mind.

And you are wrong, the immigrants came to Holland not because they were unemployed and broke (which you should never say to anyone in real life, plz) but because you NEED them, your economy NEEDS immigrants. The majority of your population is about to retire and demand benefits. You need people to produce, you need immigrants. It is not the other way around most of the time.

Sunny
03-17-2006, 10:01 AM
in response to the original post, i shall celebrate St Patrick's Day by having (drunken) sex with an Irishman. weeeo.

Not Ozymandias
03-17-2006, 10:44 AM
i hope you're husband doesnt mind. LOL!! :D :D

Ahem.

T-6005
03-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Fuck St. Patrick's. It's 3PM and I'm fucking hungover.

For a day like this, I'm really not starting off too strong.

endlesst0m
03-17-2006, 01:20 PM
in response to the original post, i shall celebrate St Patrick's Day by having (drunken) sex with an Irishman. weeeo.
That's the kind of mentality I like to hear from girls, especially being part Irish.

T-6005
03-17-2006, 01:46 PM
That's the kind of mentality I like to hear from girls, especially being part Irish.
And all virgin?

the_GoDdEsS
03-17-2006, 01:48 PM

You're a motherfucking idiot.

wheelchairman
03-17-2006, 02:04 PM
He's forgetting that even though he is Irish, love is still shallow.

JoY
03-17-2006, 02:15 PM
No one's defending blood revenge. That is not even part of the discussion. The discussion at hand is that these people don't need to be Dutch. You want them to mingle, but you don't seem to want them to walk around at your University. Make up your damn mind.

And you are wrong, the immigrants came to Holland not because they were unemployed and broke (which you should never say to anyone in real life, plz) but because you NEED them, your economy NEEDS immigrants. The majority of your population is about to retire and demand benefits. You need people to produce, you need immigrants. It is not the other way around most of the time.
no, we invited them for that reason. I recognise that fact. & circumstances seemed better here than in their own country, so they accepted the invitation in the beginning. we promised them things we couldn't live upto.

I DO want them at my university. I want anyone who seems ambitious & truly seems to love medicine for everything that it can be & for everything you can make it to be at my university. with a brain, of course. I have quite a few friends, who aren't originally from the Netherlands. dark people, yellow people, white people, wherever the hell they come from & whatever the hell they look like, I really don't give a shit. it disturbs me that you think I would. seriously. I know you know I vote 'right wing', though it's only slightly right from the middle, but what you are talking about doesn't suit me in any way. (therefore I'll punish you with a long, long essay on how exactly I mean what I said. mainly out of fear to come across wrong)

make up your mind? for all I care they practice the most extreme religions & cultures. you just don't BOTHER anyone with that shit, like we don't push our own religion & habits under everyone's noses. just believe whatever you believe in & stand for whatever you stand for & let others do the fucking same. so this is not a rant turned against foreingers, but against closed mindedness & not being willing to be accepting.

what bugs me at uni is people who DON'T make an effort WHATSOEVER to mingle, people who will ONLY talk with people who are as black, yellow, typically dressed (I don't know how you say that in English) as they are. weird, awkward cliques at my university that will talk to you individually during practical class, but won't turn their head to say "hi", when you meet them in the hallway & tell them "hello". I understand it must be REAL hard to find your place in a culture that is different from what you're used to. but if they don't accept the people that are originally from here, then how the hell are we supposed to accept them? how can you find your place here, if you only talk to people that are as foreign as you are? if you have such a tunnelview, that no one else exists? how can you exclude the people that originally are Dutch, or seem to be, from your world? in THE NETHERLANDS?! this I ask you.

because a great deal of foreigners is fucking awesome & are as interested in our culture as I am in theirs (or most often just general interests, because regularly I don't talk about cultures that much) & as they try to build a future here (which I applaud, since it's not as easy as it is for me), they try to understand our ways & language. like the English woman I spoke of. she's been living here for over 25 years & still admits not even having tried to learn the language. forgive me, I've never been confronted with foreigners so much in my life as now I live in Amsterdam. it's quite the culture-shock. but I don't mind any of this at all, as long as they don't clutter together like citydoves on a piece of bread for the rest of their stay here. we're adjusting our ENTIRE society to foreigners (which is logical, because it's a process of giving & taking & it's definitely not a bad thing that we're becoming more & more multi-cultural), but a rather great group of foreigners don't put ANY effort whatsoever in adjusting to our society.

what's the idea of moving somewhere, planning to live there for the rest of your life & not wanting to know anyone from, or anything about the place you're going to? I just don't get it. & like I said, I'm also talking about extreme cultures. why extreme cultures? because they generally are the most unaccepting towards other influences. & especially when those influences are just basic things FROM here, their home, I can't get it into my head without it annoying me.

I'm not talking about fucking tulips, windmills, hagelslag & carrot/potato dishes, but ideas, morals & ethics our entire society rests on. when I go to another country, I also respect the fundamental basis they rely on. even if I'm Dutch & where ever I go, I'll always be Dutch. & by all means, they don't have to *become* Dutch, they have to respect Dutch. so I said "'act' Dutch", which wasn't the way to put it into words, hence why I placed the ''. the Dutch grew up with a strong feeling of freedom of speach & autonomy & then there's a public figure, stating his opinion openly & he gets shot for it. that's NOT how we solve things here & that goes against EVERYTHING we believe in. & it's not all foreigners, or that it 'happens to be' all foreingers with a dark colour, or any of that ridiculous shit. it's just people who REFUSE to understand the culture they plan to live in the rest of their lives & accept it for what it is.

*Edit; this was a rant with a twist. not everything I said in this post made complete sense & reading back I don't even agree with myself sometimes, but I was just unable to explain myself better. which sucks & made this rant even longer than it had to be. generally it's just strange to see people come to live here, no matter where they come from & no matter for what reason, & don't have any interest knowing what we're about (for instance, clutter together, don't interact, refuse to understand Dutch, which forms a natural barrier some choose for).

arak0r
03-17-2006, 02:41 PM
i think st patrick would be very disappointed in how this thread has been derailed.

JoY
03-17-2006, 02:41 PM
& if the above post by my hand makes me unloved & even hated, so fucking be it.

Joey, I think so too. I'm too easy to wind up & launch a rant from.

T-6005
03-17-2006, 02:43 PM
& if the above post makes me unloved & even hated, so fucking be it.
I still love you.

Actually, after reading that post my headache went away. You must be good at medicine.

But honestly, I see where you're coming from. I don't agree with everything you said, but for the most part it's a fairly reasonable point of view.

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Please stop posting.

You're dead to me.

arak0r
03-17-2006, 02:54 PM
ugh. id like someone to point out a country that is as large as america AND has the huge diversity of cultures races etc. then you can compare that to this country.

back in the day (1800s, early 1900s), when immigration from ireland and italy was crazy, believe it or not, they were all hated on :eek:.

in fact they (italians in this example) had to LEARN to speak english. immigrants weren't catered to like they are now. italian and irish immigrants had a lot to deal with, shitty conditions, horrible jobs when they could get them, its part of why they have pride in what they were and are. the fact that they overcame those obstacles.

id love to spend more time going off about american culturual identity and whatnot, but im really too fucking lazy to atm.

http://www.italiamerica.org/id49.htm

hah. decent read there

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 02:58 PM
"we"? When did you step off the boat?

arak0r
03-17-2006, 03:05 PM
"we"? When did you step off the boat?

?

whats that? i edited that bit out BEFORE your post, but it was referring to italian/irish americans. i am of course, irish/italian/polish.

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Nice edit job.

arak0r
03-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Nice edit job.

the edit i made was for the link, the we bit was changed out only a bit after the original post. i did explain what the we was for though.

JoY
03-17-2006, 03:25 PM
I still love you.

Actually, after reading that post my headache went away. You must be good at medicine.

But honestly, I see where you're coming from. I don't agree with everything you said, but for the most part it's a fairly reasonable point of view.
aw. *heart-warmage* <3

maybe you needed something to distract you from your headache for over five seconds? lolz. I'll try my long rants with future patients. "*while chopping off a leg* foreignersblahblahblah, languageblahblah, cultureblahblah"

reading back, I realise I came across harsh sometimes. but WAH, here in Amsterdam I walk on fucking eggshells all fucking day. & I'm not used to it & I need a fucking vent.

(you seriously don't have to read this)
some people would rather understand/[over]hear anything that could be twisted into an insult, than anything else that comes out of your mouth. say "Turk" at the supermarket & at least five heads will turn. without a relation between what nationality the owners of the heads have, because it's just as often Dutch people, that react aggressive/defensive/upset/wah wah. maybe even more often. their looks; "what do you think you are doing, making a difference between different nationalities?!" & "so Turks, what about them, eh?!"

because WHERE did I say I don't want foreigners at my university? just the word foreigners fired off the discussion. when I said we once pretended we were a whole lot of something, when we were a whole lot of nothing, to get people here to do fucking crappy work, I got reactions that came across to me as "bombs away". I just said that today people come here to study medicine with me. the fact I say "fuck" & "fucking" a lot doesn't mean I don't like it. I think it's fucking fantastic & fucking love it.

fuck, even if I just talk about a friend of mine from Iran.. the idiotic thing is that *he* doesn't react as strong to that kind of crap, even if people are really actually trying to offend him. he's wise enough to know how fucked up & goddam stupid racism is, or insults based on his nationality, & that he's too good for that shit. I should be like that.

GOD, eggshells, eggshells, eggshells. I have my goddam limits. if your bike was stolen & it happened to be by someone with tan, you can't even tell that to the police normally without receiving 'teh raised eyebrow'. but when you assume, or tell them it was stolen by "some junk", they'll laugh nodding & say "shit happens". so defining someone by their addiction suddenly isn't degrading & defining them by their nationality is? GAH! howwwww???!

& this whole topic/issue/thing wasn't about racism at all, but EVERYTHING is getting associated with it. I could say "Black Beatle" & I'd upset the planet. every outspoken opinion on the matter is forbidden. even if you scream you disagree wholeheartly with any form of racism, you'll either be called a racist in disguise, or be told you would've been a racist, would you have lived in the second world war.

it just.. I've had it & my bomb just bursted. I guess I couldn't handle the insinuation/hint/same kind of attitude I have to deal with here, coming from Per. I may be posh, I may be well of, I may be a doc's daughter, but fuck, I wasn't raised to become some kind of sick minded immoral bitch. I thought that was obvious & if it wasn't, it was at least obvious to Per.

JoY
03-17-2006, 03:33 PM
ugh. id like someone to point out a country that is as large as america AND has the huge diversity of cultures races etc. then you can compare that to this country.

back in the day (1800s, early 1900s), when immigration from ireland and italy was crazy, believe it or not, they were all hated on :eek:.

in fact they (italians in this example) had to LEARN to speak english. immigrants weren't catered to like they are now. italian and irish immigrants had a lot to deal with, shitty conditions, horrible jobs when they could get them, its part of why they have pride in what they were and are. the fact that they overcame those obstacles.

id love to spend more time going off about american culturual identity and whatnot, but im really too fucking lazy to atm.

http://www.italiamerica.org/id49.htm

hah. decent read there
sweety, I *can* understand it. it just wouldn't be an attitude I'd ever adopt & I don't see anyone here adopting such an additude. I can understand the pride of having survived as many obstacles. but I don't feel it's necessary people with 1/823017th drop of Irish/ Italian/ Antillian/ Indonesian/ Jewish/ German/ Turkish/ African blood feel the same pride. also when they often don't even know anything about the culture they're so proud of. & that was originally my point.

arak0r
03-17-2006, 03:41 PM
yes but who has that little bit? :\ just that here, most italian-americans stay around the same people. youll get mixes like italian/irish american or irish german american, but mainly they stay together. that is to say, it doesnt get diluted down that much. these people learn the pride from previous generations.

sometimes its just a great or greatgreat grandparent away from "the old country" irish side of my family got here sometime before the civil war. polish and italian side sometime right before the world wars. yknow i love history, my families heritage is no exception

Andy
03-17-2006, 04:26 PM
I just had a few pints of Guinness. I feel so cheap :(