PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful or Intelligent?

FauxElitist
03-17-2006, 04:14 AM
What would you rather be, moderately beautiful and fantastically intelligent or moderately intelligent and absolutely stunning. What would you choose if it was one or the other?

Let's assume that by 'absolutely stunning', we're talking an appeal to a large majority of the populace... just incase any cunts think they're clever and start saying 'Oh my God, but beauty is so, like, subjective and what I find attractive isn't the norm and my opinion counts fantastically and... <whiny lame shit continues>'.

Answer away.

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 04:16 AM
I'd rather stay the same, fantastically intelligent and absolutely stunning.

Rocky-girl
03-17-2006, 04:20 AM
It's kind of what do you prefer to be without hand or leg? It's hard to say 'cause it's different. And I choose happiness, thought it isn't here.

killer_queen
03-17-2006, 04:25 AM
I choose the second one. Pure beauty and average intelligence are the only things what a woman needs.

FauxElitist
03-17-2006, 04:25 AM
like it's mutually exclusive. there are multitudinous cases in history when ppl are seen to be far above average both in beauty & intellect.

Stupid fucking pseudo-intellectual psychotics such as yourself make me ashamed to be French; go be fucking slavic or African, you retarded whore.

As for the rest of you, this hypothetical assumes the isolation of the two traits.
Justin and I, for example, are fantastically intelligent and attractive... however, this fact has nothing to do with the question.

Personally, I'd rather be amazingly beautiful and of average intelligence... largely because I disagree with the point made in Voltaire's 'Story of a Good Brahmin', and because I actually understand many of the fantastic opportunities that beauty can afford someone.

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 04:27 AM
Naturally, I'd take beauty over intelligence. I'm already too intelligent for my own good. The less I understood about the world would mean the less I'd have to blot out with pills and alcohol.

Rocky-girl
03-17-2006, 04:28 AM
Gulsah, women more cleverer that men but they use all their brain to hide it.

Rocky-girl
03-17-2006, 04:29 AM
Naturally, I'd take beauty over intelligence. I'm already too intelligent for my own good. The less I understood about the world would mean the less I'd have to blot out with pills and alcohol.
Very modest person.

killer_queen
03-17-2006, 04:31 AM
Gulsah, women more cleverer that men but they use all their brain to hide it.
I don't think so. Women are really not that clever and too much intelligence on a woman is not appreciated from what I've seen in last 16 years.

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 04:35 AM
If you're so clever, why do you get periods and not men? Idiot.

Nicole
03-17-2006, 04:36 AM
I'm a fan of intellect over beauty. Beauty is a wonderful thing to have but it's about an inch deep and kind of static. Intellect is something that can be deleved into and explored and grows. A persons intellect is something you get to know and love more and it can even enhance beauty.

If you can have both at the same time then that's another story altogether.

Rocky-girl
03-17-2006, 04:37 AM
I don't think so. Women are really not that clever and too much intelligence on a woman is not appreciated from what I've seen in last 16 years.
Well I think that women are not stupid and they are very clever but we use our mind on different things. And also I think if men are cleverer, women are wiser.

Paint_It_Black

Same here. Stupid people seem to be so happy.

FauxElitist
I'm a fan of intellect over beauty. Beauty is a wonderful thing to have but it's about an inch deep and kind of static. Intellect is something that can be deleved into and explored and grows. A persons intellect is something you get to know and love more and it can even enhance beauty.

If you can have both at the same time then that's another story altogether.

So what you're getting at is the fact that you're ugly and have grown to accept the fact?

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 04:38 AM
Monthly courses are a bigger impediment to people like you, it means you're out of work 1 week in 4.

Rocky-girl
03-17-2006, 04:40 AM
Stupid people seem to be so happy.
Everyone has different happiness...

Rocky-girl
03-17-2006, 04:41 AM
Monthly courses are a bigger impediment to people like you, it means you're out of work 1 week in 4.
Why do you spoke about things that you don't know for sure?

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 04:41 AM
Maria is a prostitute, Tanichka. Stay away from her, I don't want you corrupted by her wicked ways.

Rocky-girl
03-17-2006, 04:42 AM
Maria is a prostitute, Tanichka. Stay away from her, I don't want you corrupted by her wicked ways.
Don't be afraid I hope I won't be. She is interesting person.
uff, it's hard when parents know all you have spoken

killer_queen
03-17-2006, 04:50 AM
Same here. Stupid people seem to be so happy.
And beautiful people (especially girls) are unhappy. They always whine about not getting attention with a quality of them except their appearance and wish they were ugly. God, this is so stupid. Intelligence is not appreciated by everyone not makes anyone happier. But beauty is and it does make you and people around you happy.

Women are as clever as men but for centuries they've been kept away from every opportunity to show it.
Now they have the opportunity but I can see just a few people showing.

FauxElitist
03-17-2006, 04:54 AM
Killer Queen, you sound like an intelligent and wise young woman - a realist untainted by the ravages of syphilis.

Maria, you're a stupid bitch.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 04:56 AM
Killer Queen, you sound like an intelligent and wise young woman

But she'd rather be beautiful and dumb.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 05:01 AM
Maria, you're a stupid bitch.

don't call me Maria.

Well, I have a new signature.

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 05:02 AM
Why don't you throw another hissy-fit and delete all your posts again, you stupid insane whore?

Sin Studly
03-17-2006, 05:03 AM
Why don't you just stop posting if I don't like you?

FauxElitist
03-17-2006, 05:04 AM
don't call me Maria.

The most beautiful sound I ever heard
All the beautiful sounds of the world in a single word
Maria
I just met a girl named Maria
And suddenly that name
Will never be the same
To me
Maria
I just kissed a girl named Maria
And suddenly I found
How wonderful a sound
Can be
Maria
Say it loud and there's music playing
Say it soft and it's almost like praying
Maria
I'll never stop saying
Maria
Maria, Maria...
Maria
Say it loud and there's music playing
Say it soft and it's almost like praying
Maria
I'll never stop saying
Maria
The most beautiful sound I ever heard
Maria

I love you, honeykins... call me Jacques.

Nicole
03-17-2006, 05:05 AM
So what you're getting at is the fact that you're ugly and have grown to accept the fact?

Shit I should have seen that coming a mile off when I posted that. But you're wrong anyway so who cares.

FauxElitist
03-17-2006, 05:06 AM
After your reply I am guessing 'not you', right ugly?

killer_queen
03-17-2006, 05:11 AM
When I was younger I thought pianists & composers (who surely are nought else than artists!) were the most intelligent ppl in the world, more so than writers, because they could touch the soul & play on its strings immediately. Well the fact that so few women have ever been composers or interprets made me wonder about their intelligence. Later on I learnt that they were prohibited from playing in concerts for they would then be labelled whores. The fact that such double standards were applied is a mere hint as to what they had to cope with at the time...
Sorry but I think this is bullshit. Firstly pianists don't "touch soul". They just play what has been composed. Anyone with a little talent, long fingers and hard working can be a pianist.

And being emotional isn't the same thing as being intelligent. I believe composing great songs is a result of being sensitive and emotional. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 05:19 AM
& anyway, why shouldn't art be put on the same level as science?

Because art will never cure disease. Art will never feed the hungry. Art will never...wait, fuck it. Why am I answering a stupid question?

Nicole
03-17-2006, 05:32 AM
After your reply I am guessing 'not you', right ugly?

Your insults are amusing but I'm not ugly so it's kind of pointless.

& Maria, you're one to talk about using first names, seeing as how you're always using a certain board members first and last name.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 05:39 AM
I never said art answers the same purpose as science, precisely it is entirely different... but it is as worthy of commendation as science, & should be put on the same plane. ppl need science as much as they need art.

I'm sorry, but that's absolutely ridiculous.

Nicole
03-17-2006, 05:43 AM
It's a regular name, I don't see the funny side. Nor do I see why you've got a double standard about the issue.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 05:44 AM
you don't have to be sorry when you express your opinion.

It's just a polite manner of speaking. I'm not apologising. I'm expressing my sorrow at your ridiculous beliefs.

Vera
03-17-2006, 05:44 AM
Shouldn't the options be more extreme? Like, butt-ugly and extremely intelligent or stunningly gorgeous and dumb as a brick?

Anyway, I wouldn't say it was beauty that was suspect but rather the intelligence and what counts as it. I think PiB had a topic on this and it's all very hazy. I mean, some people call "intelligence" what others call "talent". So, a composer might either have "musical intelligence" or just be talented in understanding music. Some say intelligence is something you're born with and others think it can be learned or at least developed to its maximum.

But yeah, I think I'd still go for intelligence, whatever one means by that.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 05:46 AM
I think PiB had a topic on this and it's all very hazy.

Mine was about defining what intelligence actually is, and effective ways to measure it. I was quite fond of that thread.

JoY
03-17-2006, 05:46 AM
you don't need intelligence, if you're fucking gorgeous. two of my friends totally prove this point. they can fuck themselves to the top any time.

besides, intelligence can be a burden. but then again, so can beauty.

Vera
03-17-2006, 05:48 AM
Mine was about defining what intelligence actually is, and effective ways to measure it. I was quite fond of that thread.
Er, that's what I meant. And I meant that the issue was hazy and pretty much a non-defined area as of now, not that the thread was odd.

Bella, aha, but they'd need to have some intelligence to use their looks to their advantage.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 05:52 AM
Er, that's what I meant.

Oops, I slightly misread your original post.

JoY
03-17-2006, 05:52 AM
sharp point, my dear Sanni. they both are, naturally. or else it'd be impossible to talk with each other. but I've seen so many successful older guys in their 30+ crisis devorce their wives for some giggly airhead..

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 05:53 AM
Bella, aha, but they'd need to have some intelligence to use their looks to their advantage.

Nah, just natural female cunning and manipulation. It's innate.

JoY
03-17-2006, 06:04 AM
I think we're pretty much born with that.

HeadAroundU
03-17-2006, 06:11 AM
But that's maybe Hollywood.

I guess it's totally individual.

Paint_It_Black
03-17-2006, 06:13 AM
Anyone else noticed a significant improvement in HAU?

HeadAroundU
03-17-2006, 06:18 AM
Well I think that women are not stupid and ( they are very clever, maybe not :) ) but we use our mind on different things.
That's true.

And also I think if men are cleverer, women are wiser.
I found it very interesting although it's childish.

Mota Boy
03-17-2006, 07:22 AM
Moderately beautiful and fantastically intelligent, no contest. Beauty matters much more for women than men, as men are able to disguise average looks by confidence alone. Intelligence is also able to get you a great job, which leads to money and power, which become far, far more important than mere looks. Plus, being intelligent gives you much more interesting options in life.

Rocky-girl
03-17-2006, 07:30 AM
And beautiful people (especially girls) are unhappy. They always whine about not getting attention with a quality of them except their appearance and wish they were ugly. God, this is so stupid. Intelligence is not appreciated by everyone not makes anyone happier. But beauty is and it does make you and people around you happy.
They just know that they are beautiful and don't use it in daily life. They think that it's it is enough to be beautiful, but don't behave themlelves like beautiful. And I think beauty is that thing that is given to you from your born, like strength, but intellect you can get.

Betty
03-17-2006, 08:06 AM
I already am moderately beautiful and fantastically intelligent and it suits me just fine. Sanni's right, not including the extremes changes the question quite a bit. Moderate beauty will get you anywhere you need to go as it will never detract from your goals. You will never be too ugly for the goal, you will always be "good enough". And at the same time, you will avoid being used for your looks to an extent. People have made the "ignorance is bliss" argument, and I'm sure there's a whole bunch of truth to it, but after having led a life as an intelligent individual and quite honestly having felt superior in this regard to the majority, whether I tried to or not, I couldn't fathom choosing to be placed in that inferior position myself.

Camilamazed
03-17-2006, 08:24 AM
I'm okay. Moderate beautiful and moderate intelligent :D

Sinister
03-17-2006, 08:25 AM
I'm ugly, and people say I'm very intelligent. I'd love being beautiful and stupid for a change.

Not Ozymandias
03-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Anyone else noticed a significant improvement in HAU?
"This message is hidden because HeadAroundU is on your ignore list."

Nope.

The thread's question is all wrong; it's more interesting to see if people would rather be gorgeous & dopey or brilliant & homely.

killer_queen
03-17-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm ugly, and people say I'm very intelligent. I'd love being beautiful and stupid for a change.
WTF?! Who says it?

Sinister
03-17-2006, 08:38 AM
WTF?! Who says it?
people I shouldn't trust tell me I'm intelligent - my parents and the like. Actually I think I'm stupid.

Sinister
03-17-2006, 08:47 AM
I love you.
I don't love you.

Sunny
03-17-2006, 08:57 AM
moderately beautiful and fantastically intelligent.

i think extreme beauty would be a huge burden to have. i'm not beautiful, but i'm somewhat attractive... and at the age of 21 i am already worried and paranoid about signs of aging, and that attractiveness fading away as i grow older. i think that if i posessed extreme beauty, i would eventually go insane.
i know people who are amazingly gorgeous and getting botox shots at the age of 23 just to preserve the beauty they grew so used to.
if something becomes the most important part of your identity and turns out to be temporary.. well, that's gotta cause you a lot of pain.

besides, i don't need to be extremely beautiful to get where i want to be. "mildly pleasant to look at" is perfectly sufficient.

Preocupado
03-17-2006, 08:58 AM
Too much beauty on me and i rapidly become an idiot, so i'd choose the super brains.

the_GoDdEsS
03-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Men look at me in lust and women in hate. I'm confident in saying I'm both stunningly beautiful, hated and admired for my intelligence at the same time. So the if question does not really bother me.

WebDudette
03-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Beauty doesn't last forever were as intelligence last until your dead and if you used it right it will carry on after your death. I choose Intelligence over beauty.

the_GoDdEsS
03-17-2006, 11:07 AM
beauty isn't necessarily temporary. anyway all those who say they're at once stunning & clever are liars. I've yet to see a mixture of Madonna & Einstein. The nuclear sex bomb that's gonna blow the world to pieces? my arse. hahaha how many nuclear sex bombs do we have on OFFSPRING BBS??? come here lil notdoc, show your face to the world

Shut your mouth, it wasn't made for talking.

WebDudette
03-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Are you claiming Notdoc is beautiful and a genius?

Sunny
03-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Madonna looks like a man.

and beauty is very very much temporary.. your skin starts to lose firmness around the age of 25.. later on, wrinkles appear, your metabolism slows down, your boobs start to sag, you get dark spots and you start accumulating fatty deposits in the oddest of places (like your eyelids). sure, you can be an attractive 40 year old, if you have good bone structure, but you won't have the firmness or freshness you had at 16.

WebDudette
03-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Madonna looks like a man.

and beauty is very very much temporary.. your skin starts to lose firmness around the age of 25.. later on, wrinkles appear, your metabolism slows down, your boobs start to sag, you get dark spots and you start accumulating fatty deposits in the oddest of places (like your eyelids). sure, you can be an attractive 40 year old, if you have good bone structure, but you won't have the firmness or freshness you had at 16.

Exactly and someones intelligence can still be used and respected well after thier death. Of course you could say the same thing about Marilyn Monroe I suppose.

JohnnyNemesis
03-17-2006, 11:13 AM
No way in hell can I read through all of this. BUT the question annoys me not because it's been asked so often, but because so many people have insanely illogical opinions on the matter.

If I'm going to bring up examples from the BBS, just give me someone like Sim or Isa Isa or Sunny so that I can combine intense physical beauty with lotsalotsa smarts.

As far as which I'd rather have, beauty or intelligence, I dunno. I already have the intelligence, but I'm ranging from average to slightly above average to slightly below average in the looks department. Give me both, but not at the same time.

Sinister
03-17-2006, 11:14 AM
so YEAH beauty & charm do last. till the menopause I think.

they only last if you have some to begin with.

WebDudette
03-17-2006, 11:14 AM
oh yes. I am. oh I so am.

to Sunny: wow my mom is still the wonderwoman she's been so for the last 20 years. She's not as fresh as when she was 20 but her skin is remarkably fine for a woman of her age, she has a stunning smile (& men told me, distinctly told me, literally told me "your mother... you look a lot a lot like your mother... do you know she is a very beautiful woman? got lot of charm, she has")

But is anyone going to say anything about her 100 years from now or even 20 years from now.

the_GoDdEsS
03-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Maria, just shut up. You are below average and dull. You don't have to voice your worthless opinion anywhere. It's not wanted.

Sunny
03-17-2006, 11:17 AM
oh yes. I am. oh I so am.

to Sunny: wow my mom is still the wonderwoman she's been so for the last 20 years. She's not as fresh as when she was 20 but her skin is remarkably fine for a woman of her age, she has a stunning smile (& men told me, distinctly told me, literally told me "your mother... you look a lot a lot like your mother... do you know she is a very beautiful woman? got lot of charm, she has")

well, of course beauty doesn't just go away. and of course people can look good for their age... but to posess amazing beauty at 20 and watch it gradually fade away year by year has to be painful.
my grandmother practically depicted the Aryan ideal at the age of 20 (why didnt i get her genes??).. she remained an attractive woman, but i know she misses her beauty dearly, and despises the process of aging that took it away.

and, well... your intellect can remain sharp well into your 80s.

JohnnyNemesis
03-17-2006, 11:20 AM
The ideal is boring, lifeless. Be glad you look the way you do...

Sunny
03-17-2006, 11:23 AM
but it can also disappear.

I don't see how, unless you get some kind of a degenerative brain disease or frontal lobotomy.

Ricky, sometimes i wonder what it feels like to look perfect.. just because i'll never know.

JohnnyNemesis
03-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Ricky, sometimes i wonder what it feels like to look perfect.. just because i'll never know.

You mean THEIR definition of perfect, right?

Thing is, I've never really known anyone who bought into that idea of perfect. I, and everyone else I know, usually sees right through it. So I'm sorry if I come across as insensitive; I just can't grasp it, y'know?

You may not know what it feels like to have your looks recognized as perfect, but actually looking perfect is a different story.

0r4ng3
03-17-2006, 01:04 PM
I'd rather take the intelligence. I want to know what it's like to be smart, for once.

killer_queen
03-17-2006, 01:07 PM
I'd rather take the intelligence. I want to know what it's like to be smart, for once.
Please don't do that.

T-6005
03-17-2006, 01:45 PM
After pondering the question, I feel like saying I'd take the intelligence - but I'm not sure that that's the way I really want to decide.

pyromaniac
03-17-2006, 01:49 PM
I would want the knowledge,hands down.
That way I could actually do something different with my life, then a repeated system of being beautiful,getting old and dying,then someone taking my place.

Mota Boy
03-17-2006, 01:55 PM
and beauty is very very much temporary...
Which is one reason I love being a dude. When it comes to ideal qualities in the opposite sex, men seek out youth and women power.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know it's an oversimplification, but there's no denying its inherent truth.