PDA

View Full Version : The Story Of My Band...

Mushroom
03-17-2006, 10:02 AM
I had a band for a while, actally it was till a few weeks ago. We actually were no good but It was fun while it lasted. We started off when I was playing Rugby with my friend Marc. I grabbed the ball, sat on the floor and started to hit it like a bongo. I then shouted "Go on! Tackle the beatnik!" and Marc said "Forget that, Flykick him!" And I said "hey, 'Flykicking Beatniks', that's a good name for a band!" after that we got talking and decided to make a band, calle 'Flykicking Beatniks'. We got people together and ended up as me on vocals, Marc on guitar, my mate Josh on bass and Marcs mate Simon on drums. Then the fun started. Simon couldn't play the drums so we kicked him out Josh moved on to the drums and Marcs music teacher told him to play bass for his GSCE lessons so he moved onto bass and we were left without a guitarist. Over the next few weeks I searched for a guiterist while playing the only song Marc could play throiugh on the bass, 'Holiday' by Green Day. We brought Marc friend Louise on guitar but found out she'd only been playing for two weeks, so she moved in a second vocalist and then never came again. I finally found a guitarist in my friend Tommy who was just starting to kick his drugs habit. He was a brilliant guitarist but could be bothered to learn the songs we were playing. Then a couple of weeks ago Marc and Josh left the band because it wasn't going anywhere and louise came back to complain at us for not listentening to ideas she didn't give. and it ended up as me and Tommy standing there wondering what had just happened. The 'Offical Statement' about the fat of the band is "we all went solo" I'm actually going solo and trying to write some material right now.

Anyone else been through something like this? Could you be bothered to read all that?

el_monkey
03-18-2006, 07:53 AM
Could you be bothered to read all that?

...hm...

yes

JoY
03-18-2006, 10:55 AM
I never started my own band. I did read your story, though. here's mine, that's as similar as it gets, coming from me.

I played in an symphonic orchestra & a few years before I went into the board of the orchestra, we had gigantic troubles with our director. he was old & insane, kept throwing people out without good reasons, kept intimidating members so they would 'play better', there were accusations that he sexually intimidated small boys & in the end we had to let him go & fire him. I think I was 14, when we made the decision together. there was paperwork going from our board to him & back & somewhere something went wrong. he claimed we didn't properly fire him, or whatever, & sued us for 5.000 guilders, which were 5.000 guilders we didn't have. (5.000 guilders is about 2.000 dollars? or more, I don't know) he knew the lawsuit would wreck the orchestra & leave us bankrupt.

we tried to talk with him, lower his price, raise money in every way we could, but then he found a new lawyer & raised the price from 5.000 guilders to 40.000. the situation was pretty much hopeless. people left the orchestra & all that was left of the most blossoming & skilled symphonic youth orchestra from the Netherlands with 50 members & the only one with a youth-board, travelling around the entire planet, were 20 miserably playing members with little to no musical skills.

again we tried to lower his price & eventually came to a sum of 10.500 guilders. the music level sank like the fucking Titanic & the situation couldn't be worse. I'd been playing for almost 7 years in that orchestra by that time, so I was unwilling to give up on it. I called up a few friends of my dad, they called up their businesses, etc, & all of them made sure we'd have enough to pay for everything. paperwork going from my house to theirs, I was typing letters all day, begging for money, signed by "Isabella Ullmann, Public Relations". the day came we had 10.500 guilders. some orchestra-members even cried. we'd lost everything, including our best & most skilled members, our friends, the oportunity to go travelling that year, all our savings, our instruments, our high musical level, our name & reputation as best youth orchestra, but we weren't bankrupt, meaning we at least still existed.

slowly we crawled out of the hopeless gap we fell in. I stayed in the orchestra till I was nineteen, but it never reached the same level that it had, when I entered the orchestra at the age of nine.

T-6005
03-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Bella, that story makes me feel for you. That....

Aw man. No, but it really does. Le big suck.

As for the thread - I've been in 2 bands. Neither was a serious project. The first one fell apart because we just had no interest in playing together anymore, and the second one fell apart because we all graduated and left Tokyo. The second guitarist lives about an hour away by car, and we've only hung out once this year. The two people we had playing drums are in Montreal and Scarborough, England. And the bass player is finishing his senior year of High School back in Tokyo.

There's no moral to this story, just that I had a lot more fun in the second band - it wasn't centered on a serious musical premise, even if I think that we made some songs sound pretty kickass. I was no good at guitar and my voice was even worse (not much has changed), the second guitarist was even worse, the bassist could barely do anything, and one of the drummers had only just started.

We didn't sound too bad, to be honest. Once you found out what people could play and shaped what you wrote around that, you could wring out a cohesive, nice song. As long as you didn't expect too much.

Which, since we were based on fun, we didn't.

And... damn, my heart just isn't in my story - I'm still going "aw man" over Bella's.

killer_queen
03-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Bella's stroy is really touching. Noone can easily handle a situation like that. I have to congratulate you.

I don't have a real band. I had a few bands until now and figured out that I can't stay in a band. Since most of the people in my school play guitar it's pretty easy to have a band. Of course being the pianist and flute player makes me the most important member easily. So, people couldn't handle it, I didn't want to share the success with the other idiots, I left all of them. It's just not my type of thing. People must applause me, just me. I want to be the number one. It's not too much, isn't it?

JoY
03-18-2006, 12:54 PM
grouphug! my story is teh win. gets me cuddles.

Gulsah, with your attitude you'd make a brilliant solist. to be able to step to the foregound & to WANT to step into that frightning spotlight is what it takes. I'm fucking scared of playing alone/solo/the main theme, but at the same time it gives me a rush that beats everything. the cold, shivering, shaky fingers, the scared feeling at first that makes me want to crawl in a dark corner, the mistakes & fuck ups by nervousness... it's totally worth it. I always lose myself, playing the violin, just in what I'm doing & what I'm playing. at some point every bit of fear flows out of me into the violin & brings on an energy, that releases all tension I ever piled up inside of me.

when I entered the orchestra (I was still real young), some friends told me I was more suited for playing solo/the main theme, because I don't interact enough with the rest (too much in my own world) & basically suck at technical stuff, like reading, strict rhythm (necessary in classical music), & such things. I laughed & said that would never happen, since my discipline always cracked & I never practiced. I'm technically not good enough to pull it off, but these days I do. not for technical reasons, but because I'm suited for it. I didn't even had much of a choice. they asked me for the gypsy band I'm in, placed me right on the spot & there I learned to take the lead. or it was my only skill that was finally being used & that I had to learn to use. it took me a year & it still creeps the hell out of me, but it still can't be compared to any other kick in the world.

it's not particularly positive, or something you could applaud (though many people tend to), but it's a simple observation that some people aren't made to play in [large] groups, unless they can take the lead. it's my weakness of being stubborn, unrhythmic, untechnical & too lost in my own head & mind, that basically leaves me with no other option with a good outcome. basically I'm sloppy & need the space to make my own interpretation.

killer_queen
03-18-2006, 12:58 PM
You mean somethin' like this?

http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8180/grouphug5yv.gif

JoY
03-18-2006, 01:13 PM
awz! <3

I should tell stories like this one more often..

neocon58
03-18-2006, 03:38 PM
I jammed with a drummer friend about two years ago, I was no fuckin' good on the guitar and had a shitty little practice amp that, to my ears at the time, was godlike. We recorded stuff with a little tape recorder. When I play that stuff back now, I just cringe!

We keep trying to organize jams, but for whatever reason, they never eventuate, so I pretty much gave up for a while.

This year, I've written and arranged some more crap, and I've found a drummer who is willing and able to lay down some tracks for me, a singer who is going to be supplying her awesome voice and lyrics, and as for bass...I don't know anybody good enough to do the part I've written, so since we're multitracking during recording anyhow I'm just gonna do it myself.

The main song we're gonna try to do has multiple guitar tracks, some pretty active bass lines (compared to most popular music, no Flea shit or anything like that), and I'm even gonna try do some strings and synth.

I'm gonna chuck some other songs together, and if they turn out, who knows, we might have to go looking for a bass player, and become a real band.

That story about the crazy director fag was fucked up. Stab him in the throat.

JoY
03-18-2006, 04:10 PM
That story about the crazy director fag was fucked up. Stab him in the throat.
I know! he even disowned his own son, because he kept his membership & wouldn't leave the orchestra. revengeful little piece of shit. the worst thing is that he has the most fantastic musical reputation in our country, so everyone's like; you're nothing without him & how could you let him go, etc etc. in-sa-ni-ty. fucking creep, being honored for his 'creative talent' he dug up from his twisted brain. gah.

T-6005
03-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Don't you hate it when brilliant people do stuff like that? It's like they believe that their talent allows them to brush aside others whenever they want.

JoY
03-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Thi, he was just nuts. seriously fucked in the brain. I think many orchestra directors are. they all seem to hear instruments in their head, like musicophrenics.

when you ever get to set up a band again (& you should, I've heard your stuff), you should just force yourself to play every week together, even if you don't practice at home & aren't serious about the band. just make it a social commitment. you can make a bandpractice as fun as you like. we practice every week, even though it's just a form of entertainment to us, but we do grow & it keeps the spirit of the band alive. just for the bond between bandmembers, which makes you play better together, more used to each other & more comfortable around each other musically. you can be friends, but being in a band together is different. you all have certain expectations of how good/successful you want to be & having an instrument in your hands certainly is a whole lot different from having a beer in your hand. reallyreallyreally, your music is pretty awesome & if you'd give it a go again & would retry to play in a band, I'd be your biggest fan.

T-6005
03-18-2006, 05:59 PM
Thank you for the compliment - I plan on releasing more stuff over the summer. Mostly in the way of Endings or Words Ready, and they'll be on a different webpage to my regular stuff. However, experimentation on acoustic makes me also want to release more stuff like 1 minute or Anymore.

But yeah, I know what you mean. Unconsciously, you begin to learn the cadences that others prefer and where those match your own, or where they don't - and you learn to work with that. Whether to them in a standard 4/4, beat 1 or 3 seems more important to them, etc, etc. Even if you're just playing for fun, a sort of unity develops.

I'll be serious - I can't imagine ever playing the violin like you do, or fitting in to any song that well. But I do know what you mean, if on a much more simplistic level.

T-6005
03-18-2006, 06:00 PM
your music is pretty awesome & if you'd give it a go again & would retry to play in a band, I'd be your biggest fan.
I totally missed this.

I'm totally floored. Hah - I plan on setting up another band. I don't know if it'll be "another go", since the first one wasn't really an attempt to "make it", it's just about having fun and making the best music I possibly can at that moment.

JoY
03-18-2006, 06:03 PM
But yeah, I know what you mean. Unconsciously, you begin to learn the cadences that others prefer and where those match your own, or where they don't - and you learn to work with that. Whether to them in a standard 4/4, beat 1 or 3 seems more important to them, etc, etc. Even if you're just playing for fun, a sort of unity develops.

I'll be serious - I can't imagine ever playing the violin like you do, or fitting in to any song that well. But I do know what you mean, if on a much more simplistic level.
what, simplistic?? that was pretty much what I was talking about. *giggle* just learning how to play together, like you said. although I play a completely different instrument, the concept's still the same.

T-6005
03-18-2006, 06:34 PM
what, simplistic?? that was pretty much what I was talking about. *giggle* just learning how to play together, like you said. although I play a completely different instrument, the concept's still the same.
The concept, perhaps - but I feel that the difficulty level difference between what you play and what I play is so huge that, although the comparison is accurate, it should still be noted.

JoY
03-19-2006, 04:15 AM
*scratches head* I'm extremely flattered & have no idea where to put all this fantasticness. all I can say is; babes, you create. you make your own music. & I respect that so much. I can play a random something on the violin & it might not sound bad, but it'll never turn into something complete & I can't write it down & remember it. I make the shittiest composer. basically all I do is putting my worthless interpretations of work creative minds worked on out there.

this comes down to me being very, very flattered & feeling it's for unjustified reasons. *blush*

Paint_It_Black
03-19-2006, 04:33 AM
The 'Offical Statement' about the fat of the band

Look, if you expect us to read through that, at least show that you read it yourself. If you can't be bothered to read your own shit at least once, don't ask us to read it either. Sorry for being anal.

if you'd give it a go again & would retry to play in a band, I'd be your biggest fan.

Actually, you'd probably be the second biggest.

JoY
03-19-2006, 04:34 AM
YOU CAN'T TELL, nar nar nar.

killer_queen
03-19-2006, 06:53 AM
Isa, I used to feel the same things about playing alone. Even while playing with bands my hands used to shake madly. But after the time I played alone to a fucking big crowd I've never wanted to play with anyone again. It was like a drug. In that month I had five concerts.

Getting exicted is a great thing before playing. It's so different and nice in a weird way.

By the way, don't get me wrong about all of these "I only play alone" thing. I would love to meet you one day and play with you.

JoY
03-19-2006, 07:15 AM
naturally. =) because you love music, your instrument & playing on it. like me & I would LOVE to play with you some time. it's not like I don't like playing together, I love it. or else I wouldn't be in a band. but something like being a part of an orchestra - never again. like I said, some people are just *better* at playing alone. naturally they're just as good in a group, but it doesn't do their playing justice, because it doesn't work out for them quite as well. & oh, isn't it a total rush?! that spotlight? *gets excited* it can literally floor me.

the first time I had to play for a gigantic crowd, we were in Saint Martin with the orchestra & I had to play in front of a full church, because I was the youngest. I hated it. I hatehatehateHATED it. I wanted to beat up the director for screwing me over so much & for standing there, doing nothing, while a nine year old was sweating from every pore of her body. I remember it so well. everything was uncomfortable about that day - they also burned herbs (how do you call that stuff?) right next to me, so I couldn't read the music, because I had tears burning in my eyes from the smoke. but when I stood there, played (& in my opinion I played horribly) & every person in that church stood up to walk towards me one by one & all of them made a cross.... (do you know what I mean? going with their hands from their forehead to their chest & both their shoulders) that was the most special moment in my entire 'carreer'. I won't ever forget it. since then it still freaked me out, but I knew there was a wonderful side to playing there in the spotlight all alone.