PDA

View Full Version : A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole

SicN Twisted
12-10-2004, 01:31 PM
This is, by far, the funniest book I have ever read. I've disturbed quiet libraries by laughing rediculously loudly.. It's also an amazing book with provokes thought as well as laughs. Those of you who can read (whichis like, 5 of you) absolutely have to read this. Now.

Betty
12-10-2004, 03:46 PM
This is, by far, the funniest book I have ever read. I've disturbed quiet libraries by laughing rediculously loudly.. It's also an amazing book with provokes thought as well as laughs. Those of you who can read (whichis like, 5 of you) absolutely have to read this. Now.

1. Would I find it at the library?
2. Any more details regarding what it's actually about?

SicN Twisted
12-12-2004, 11:10 PM
1. Yes, you would
2. All I can say is it's about the single most rediculous human being in literature.

Mota Boy
12-27-2004, 07:49 PM
I'm almost done with it. I tried reading it for the first time during my enormous reading spate during grade school, but couldn't push myself past the first few pages. I decided to get back to reading it upon returning home in part because of this thread (my family has a copy, so I don't have to swing by the library).

It's quite amusing, but not the funniest book I've read (that title goes to the Hitchhiker series). I'm trying to decide if I see the brilliance in it that others see. It's interesting trying to interpret books without the guidance of an English teacher at least setting the discussion. I've proven excellent at bullshitting about the implications of particular paragraphs, but when asked to explain entire works I lose myself.

Personally, I love it for the New Orleans setting, if anything. I absolutely adore the city and like to think of myself as a part of it, though the only extended time I've spent there was eight months in the womb.

Betty
12-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Ahhh... it's surfaced... I'm like halfway through...

I find it very entertaining but not so much "laugh out loud" funny like you said. So I guess more entertaining than funny... we'll see... I'm seriously waiting for a part where I actually laugh out loud. I've sorta chuckled a bit though.

So far I'm intrigued... however I am not very good at analyzing that kinda stuff. I guess it's because my mind is not automatically trained to do it, and I just read it like a story. I have to force myself to really sit down and think about it. But if I DO do that, I'll probably wait until I've finished more or am done.

It's funny cause I actually borrowed The Hitchhikers Guide series (first 4 in a book) from my boyfriend and also intend to read that over the break... so many people have recommended it to me lately, and without me even asking. I have such a huge pile of books and I'm making slow progress. Have been too busy with Christmas related stuff... but that should be slowing down...