PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Magic's would be path

Hux
03-18-2006, 11:34 PM
I was just wondering what you think would've happened if Dirty Magic was released as a single. How would it have affected their popularity, success, albums, songs, etc.

I think Dirty Magic would've gone far making them more well known, slightly more successful and more popular. I don't think any of their songs or albums (style) would be changed but I base that on the fact that when they released Smash, they didn't release a "Smash 2" kind of album, they gave Ixnay On The Hombre a different style.

Also, do you think they should try and get people back into Dirty Magic and if so how. It's an old song however they could reintroduce it in tours or in their other, new albums possibly as a hidden/bonus track like they kind of did in the greatest hits dual disc, putting Dirty Magic acoustic version on the album.

I would love it if they started to play Dirty Magic at their concerts and wouldn't mind putting the new version on their new album.

So, how far (or low) could Dirty Magic have gone would reintroducing this be a good or bad idea, what's your opinion?

Hypodermic_89
03-18-2006, 11:45 PM
It could've made The Offspring more popular, since the whole Ignition album is a mix of old school punk and Nirvana, and Nirvana was huge during the early 90's.

.:SMASH:.
03-19-2006, 01:11 AM
if it did, and it got popular like a single, i would doubt they would have songs like pretty fly, want you bad, original prankster...you know, that mob

forcyn
03-19-2006, 01:25 AM
I don't know why, I got strange feeling that new Offspring album will be as sucesful as Americana or Smash...

Hux
03-19-2006, 01:46 AM
And that's got what to do with what we're talking about?

Lithuanian Offspring
03-19-2006, 01:52 AM
It would be pretty awesome if they release it as single. Dexter sort of hinted that they might put it into the new album. In his post about them recording.

Kitten
03-19-2006, 03:15 AM
I feel that the re-recorded version could successfully be released as a single, seeing as how, new fans would hear it like it was a new song and old fans would dig the revamp of it. However, sounds more like it could be a b-side or a special website release.

Hux
03-19-2006, 04:23 AM
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/4737/guitarint.html

This article shows how The Offspring wanted to put Dirty Magic on a magazine to get people interested and aware of the song but due to an error Get It Right was featured instead.

That would really suck, they should've tried again or something.

DeAtHsTaR
03-19-2006, 09:05 AM
Dirty Magic would've done great, but critics would diss them for sounding like Nirvana because DM sounds like Come as you Are.

Drummerguy123
03-19-2006, 09:13 AM
I think Dirty Magic would let the general public know that they don't only write songs like Pretty Fly or OP. More people would see that they are a serious band that can write serious music. They need a real powerful single for their new album to lead them away from the path of Americana and Co1. Splinter was definately a step in the right direction, but with the release of Dirty magic as a single and a longer album with less humorous songs might bring back The offspring's image as a legitimate punk band, and not just a trendy pop band like everyone sees them as now. Personally, I think that Dirty Magic shoudn't be on the new album because people would think that they don't have the ability to write new music and that they have died as musicains. Dirty Magic would make an incredible single/video, but I think it would do best on a movie soundtrack or something, much like Defy You.

Burnt.Offerings
03-19-2006, 12:43 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Dexter said he wanted to re-record it sometime in the future, but that may have been refering to the acoustic version of the dual-disc greatest hits. If they released Dirty Magic as a single when the album was released I think it would have done very well in the mainstrem because it had a certain sound similar to what was popular at the time, but at the same time it wouldn't have been the best representation of the entire album which might have pissed some people off. Just a thought.

Llamas
03-19-2006, 02:45 PM
I agree with the comment that people would criticize it for sounding so much like "come as you are". I love that song, but I do not think they need to use it to create new fan interest. I think they should do so with NEW material. They should come out with a new album of pure gold with a lead single that is who they are, and not what they think the public wants (the last three lead singles...). Something in the vein of DM would be great, but I don't think that releasing a 14 year old song as a single is the right way to go.

Had the band been able to release it as a single in 1992... I think it would've been huge. I think it would've hit it as big as smash did. If a song like DM had been their first hit, instead of self esteem, come out and play... it would've been a good thing. I've read that when they made the singles for smash, the producers didn't like self esteem, and they made them remove parts from it... their producers were so negative about it, that couldn't have made them respect those producers much. Had DM made it, that was a song that was untouched- it was solely done by the offspring. I think it would have made the band realize that they could do THEIR thing and do well, rather than having to do what the producers want in order to make it. That's the kind of thing that caused pretty fly, op, and hit that... the "producer knows best" mentality. But DM making it huge would've created more faith in themselves, and I think they'd be closer to the band we all want.

Hux
03-19-2006, 04:48 PM
When did Come As You Are get released (it's a single yes?).

offspring_freak_3
03-19-2006, 05:01 PM
i kinda dont know why i think this but, i think if they release dirty magic as a single, and it keep playing in radios, or even if they make a video for it, i think a lot of emo kids will start to listen to the offspring :eek: :confused:

Hux
03-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Well it does sound depressing and the lyrics are kind of depressing.

DeAtHsTaR
03-19-2006, 05:32 PM
When did Come As You Are get released (it's a single yes?).

Drummerguy123
03-19-2006, 05:37 PM
i kinda dont know why i think this but, i think if they release dirty magic as a single, and it keep playing in radios, or even if they make a video for it, i think a lot of emo kids will start to listen to the offspring :eek: :confused:
I wouldn't worry about that. Dirty Magic is sad, but it would probably end up being the only sad song on the album. Besides, they would all cut themselves to death before it became a real problem.

Sinister
03-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Converting emo kids to The Offspring would do them good, and I'm pretty sure DM would be awesome as a single, even though it's old stuff. Heck, if some bands can put the same song twice on the same album (one being "reprise" or whatever) and be successful, how could Offspring be dissed for digging up some really overlooked (by the public) awesome stuff ?

Drummerguy123
03-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Converting emo kids to The Offspring would do them good, and I'm pretty sure DM would be awesome as a single, even though it's old stuff. Heck, if some bands can put the same song twice on the same album (one being "reprise" or whatever) and be successful, how could Offspring be dissed for digging up some really overlooked (by the public) awesome stuff ?
Much agreed. Good point.

Ninty Man
03-19-2006, 06:16 PM
I think Dirty Magic would let the general public know that they don't only write songs like Pretty Fly or OP. More people would see that they are a serious band that can write serious music. They need a real powerful single for their new album to lead them away from the path of Americana and Co1. Splinter was definately a step in the right direction, but with the release of Dirty magic as a single and a longer album with less humorous songs might bring back The offspring's image as a legitimate punk band, and not just a trendy pop band like everyone sees them as now. Personally, I think that Dirty Magic shoudn't be on the new album because people would think that they don't have the ability to write new music and that they have died as musicains. Dirty Magic would make an incredible single/video, but I think it would do best on a movie soundtrack or something, much like Defy You.

Are you conscious about what are you saying??? Splinter a good step???

OMG

Drummerguy123
03-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Are you conscious about what are you saying??? Splinter a good step???

OMG
Yes. Songs like The Noose, Long Way Home, Race Against Myself, CCGMAY, Never Gonna Find Me, and Lightning Rod were incredible. It was definately a step forward with those songs, but they still need to move away from songs like the other ones in Splinter.

Llamas
03-19-2006, 06:25 PM
I agree that splinter was a good step. it was much better than co1 (except that it lacked a theme)... and while there were no knock-out songs on co1, there were several on splinter. sure, there were some sucky ones on splinter, but there were MORE on co1. co1 was mediocre- splinter stood out and sucked in various ways. I think that that diversity is a big step away from mediocrity.

offspring_freak_3
03-19-2006, 06:26 PM
^^ i agree, and with the idea of a video for a soundtrack too, but i think would be better if they pu it as a hidden track on the new album, like they do in every album

Drummerguy123
03-19-2006, 06:27 PM
I agree that splinter was a good step. it was much better than co1 (except that it lacked a theme)... and while there were no knock-out songs on co1, there were several on splinter. sure, there were some sucky ones on splinter, but there were MORE on co1. co1 was mediocre- splinter stood out and sucked in various ways. I think that that diversity is a big step away from mediocrity.

Splinter had a theme, it just wasn't as obvious as their other ones. The theme wasn't as much lyrical as it was musical, but it was there. I'll explain later.

Drummerguy123
03-19-2006, 06:28 PM
^^ i agree, and with the idea of a video for a soundtrack too, but i think would be better if they pu it as a hidden track on the new album, like they do in every album
But then we wouldn't get a video and people wouldn't really know about it.

offspring_freak_3
03-19-2006, 06:30 PM
oh man, u people r too worried about a video. they could make it exclusive, live an CD Extra, like the splinter one, and co1

Llamas
03-19-2006, 06:32 PM
a musical theme? it was their least inconsistant album as far as music is concerned... it hits slow metal, harder metal, fast pop punk, fast hard punk, reggae, acoustic pop, 1920s music... chanting... it's the most diverse musically, but there is no theme...

Ninty Man
03-19-2006, 06:48 PM
OK, maybe The Noose and other songs are good, but, WHOE, Da Hui, when you're in prison makes the album sucka, and I still think that Conspiracy it's underrated...

Million Milles Away, Come out Swinging, One Fine Day, Denial, Vultures, Conspiracy and Huck it... well, Original and Want You Bad rock too... only the crappy are living in chaos and All Along... but not as much as the Splinter bad songs

rlplaymaker
03-19-2006, 07:03 PM
I was just wondering what you think would've happened if Dirty Magic was released as a single. How would it have affected their popularity, success, albums, songs, etc.

I think Dirty Magic would've gone far making them more well known, slightly more successful and more popular. I don't think any of their songs or albums (style) would be changed but I base that on the fact that when they released Smash, they didn't release a "Smash 2" kind of album, they gave Ixnay On The Hombre a different style.

Also, do you think they should try and get people back into Dirty Magic and if so how. It's an old song however they could reintroduce it in tours or in their other, new albums possibly as a hidden/bonus track like they kind of did in the greatest hits dual disc, putting Dirty Magic acoustic version on the album.

I would love it if they started to play Dirty Magic at their concerts and wouldn't mind putting the new version on their new album.

So, how far (or low) could Dirty Magic have gone would reintroducing this be a good or bad idea, what's your opinion?

they already remade dirty magic dude, and i heard em play it live at warped tour this summer

Llamas
03-19-2006, 07:05 PM
there are only two bad songs on splinter- whe, and wyip... smtd is not good, but it's average.

you just happen to like more songs on co1 than I do. Plus my co1 doesn't have huck it on it. the good ones on co1, for me, are come out swinging, mma, dammit, living in chaos, denial, vultures and co1. I do not like op, want you bad, special delivery, one fine day, or all along. that's 5 songs I dislike, and 7 songs I like (and all but two of those 7 I like are average). On splinter, I don't like worst hangover, spare me the details, and when you're in prison. Good ones are neocon, noose, lwh, hit that, race against, head around you, never gonna find me, lightning, and da hui. that's 3 vs. 9... I think that's a much better ratio, and splinter has some standouts, while co1 doesn't. Of course, it's all opinion. I just dislike more of co1, and you like more of it. I think we feel similarly abuot splinter... it's just our differing co1 opinions.

offspring_freak_3
03-19-2006, 07:06 PM
^^ he knows that, hes just wondering what would happen if it turns out a single

JohnnyNemesis
03-19-2006, 08:19 PM
It's not as simple as just releasing a song and watching it take off. Ignition was released at a time when Epitaph would not have been able to promote any singles properly because they could not afford it yet.

The success of later albums like Bad Religion's "Recipe For Hate", Rancid's first self-titled album and Pennywise's "Unknown Road", all in 1993 is what gave Epitaph the money to promote Offspring's "Smash" the way they did. If "Dirty Magic" was released a single during the Ignition days, with a video and everything, NO ONE would have heard of it because of what I just said.

Little_Miss_1565
03-19-2006, 08:22 PM
thank you Johnny.

Llamas
03-19-2006, 08:38 PM
It's not as simple as just releasing a song and watching it take off. Ignition was released at a time when Epitaph would not have been able to promote any singles properly because they could not afford it yet.

The success of later albums like Bad Religion's "Recipe For Hate", Rancid's first self-titled album and Pennywise's "Unknown Road", all in 1993 is what gave Epitaph the money to promote Offspring's "Smash" the way they did. If "Dirty Magic" was released a single during the Ignition days, with a video and everything, NO ONE would have heard of it because of what I just said.

dude, epitaph barely promoted smash... as far as that album is concerned, it was VERY much of a "watch it take off" situation. Americana was a different story. But smash was barely promoted...

Little_Miss_1565
03-19-2006, 08:39 PM
dude, epitaph barely promoted smash... as far as that album is concerned, it was VERY much of a "watch it take off" situation. Americana was a different story. But smash was barely promoted...

What makes you say that? Epitaph even re-released the Ignition singles to radio after Smash started getting airplay on KROQ and taking off.

DeAtHsTaR
03-19-2006, 09:17 PM
What makes you say that? Epitaph even re-released the Ignition singles to radio after Smash started getting airplay on KROQ and taking off.
Actually, they released ONE single from Ignition, and it was for the first time.

Llamas
03-19-2006, 09:39 PM
exactly... plus it's not that much effort to release a single... it obviously didn't do that well...

Kitten
03-19-2006, 11:46 PM
exactly... plus it's not that much effort to release a single... it obviously didn't do that well...

So where can I buy your band's single?

bhg_rulz2
03-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Dirty Magic is an awesome song...musically and lyrically....if its released as a single...it will make it really big :D

labtech
03-20-2006, 10:19 AM
I have seen them play DM in concert.
In Fresno california, they did a little effect on stage and said they had an equipmant falure, then proceded to play about 3 songs acusticly, also played a short riff from metallica so they could get a good napster joke in.

I think the reason they did it was so that some medical people could get in a and get someone out of the pit.

JohnnyNemesis
03-20-2006, 03:26 PM
dude, epitaph barely promoted smash...

Now that's just straight-up not true.

Drummerguy123
03-20-2006, 06:16 PM
I was like 5 years old when Smash was released, but I am pretty sure it got a bit of promotion. But just the fact that is sold millions (was it 11 million? I forget.) on a label like Epitaph is very impressive.

Little_Miss_1565
03-20-2006, 08:10 PM

Ever worked for a record label? It's a hell of a lot of work to release ANYTHING.

Hux
03-20-2006, 08:47 PM
I was like 5 years old when Smash was released, but I am pretty sure it got a bit of promotion. But just the fact that is sold millions (was it 11 million? I forget.) on a label like Epitaph is very impressive.
Pretty sure it's over 11 million copies sold by today.

Drummerguy123
03-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Pretty sure it's over 11 million copies sold today.

That's what I thought. And if I'm not mistaken, that is also a world record.

Hux
03-20-2006, 08:58 PM
I've read articles and such saying that it is a record, but I'm not sure, wikipedia (although it may not be reliable) says it is the most records sold for an indie labelled band. Does anyone know of a reliable source?

DeAtHsTaR
03-21-2006, 06:27 AM
That's what I thought. And if I'm not mistaken, that is also a world record.
For an indie record.

Drummerguy123
03-21-2006, 03:20 PM
For an indie record.

Well, yeah. 11 million albums has been done many times before.

jacknife737
03-21-2006, 04:48 PM
I've read articles and such saying that it is a record, but I'm not sure, wikipedia (although it may not be reliable) says it is the most records sold for an indie labelled band. Does anyone know of a reliable source?

I've also read that; as well Alan Cross mentioned it on his program The Ongoing History of New Rock.

Hux
03-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Well this should be enough to conclude that they have sold over 11 million copies making a record for an indie labelled band.

Eternal Yamcha
03-22-2006, 08:00 AM
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I could swear (in my sleep deprived state) that in the Offspring Music Video DVD that they stated that Smash sold 11 million copies, which was a record for an indie record label.

As for re-releasing Dirty Magic and its impacts? I'm completely for it, I just got Ignition this past Christmas and there are tons of gems on the CD (Dirty Magic, Take It Like A Man, We Are One and a few others.) If they did re-release it, it might promote their older stuff, which is not known to many.

I don't see a real reason why it shouldn't be re-released. Either it strikes well and people suddenly become interested in their older work... Or it might strike well, but not to the point where mass amounts of people end up buying their older stuff.

DeAtHsTaR
03-22-2006, 08:14 AM
Remember guys, it's re-recorded, so it won't be the same as the original. I'll actually have good production!

Llamas
03-22-2006, 11:48 AM
good production is overrated... I liked the raw sound of the first two albums.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
03-22-2006, 11:52 AM
If they do make a video for it or make it a single on the new album, alot of the not-very-good-offspring-fans-if-offspring-fans-at-all people will just think it is a new song. Like when a newer band does a cover of a song that was made a long time ago, people sometimes think the newer band originally created and wrote the song.

Drummerguy123
03-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Well, they could release it as a single and call it something like "Dirty Magic 2005" or something.

Hux
03-22-2006, 04:27 PM
They would have to promote it a lot and comment on Ignition.

Drummerguy123
03-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Not if they make it a single with a video. People willfind out where it is from.

Hux
03-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Yeah, that would help a lot, I wonder how the public would react and how the sales would be.

Llamas
03-22-2006, 09:32 PM
I think the people who actually liked it enough to care would find out where it was from. Also, they could just make a note of it in the booklet for the new album so that anyone who bought the album cause of the new DM knew.