PDA

View Full Version : Don't Pick it up

DeAtHsTaR
03-21-2006, 09:48 PM
So it's obviously a ska song, but I just found out something.

http://www.nothingnice.com/comics/20021211.gif

Do ska kids say "Pick it up?"

Shit thread, sue me.

Llamas
03-21-2006, 10:06 PM
not a shit thread :) I like your threads. I've never thought about that... I've seen that comic before and didn't catch that. I see the connection, don't know if it's related...

OffspringPhreak
03-21-2006, 10:58 PM
You know I honestly never thought of that(nice comic by the way). The lyrics in that song are priceless, I don't necessarily like ska songs, but that's one of the few I do like.

Llamas
03-21-2006, 11:13 PM
same here, I can't usually stand SKA, but that's one of my favorite songs on ixnay :P

DeAtHsTaR
03-21-2006, 11:51 PM
http://www.nothingnice.com/comics/20050801.gif

Llamas
03-21-2006, 11:58 PM
haha! I guess that proves it, then. :P

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
03-22-2006, 01:35 AM
This is kinda off-topic, but the title of thread made me say it.

I love the tounge roll Dexter sings in this :p

Llamas
03-22-2006, 02:37 AM
haha I love that, too... I used to try to do it myself, but I never could. :P

barangatang
03-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Holy shit, now im reall interested. Some one really needs to answer this. Apathy?(The user)

there's even a "pick it up" forum: http://www.pickitupska.com/forum/

Taime13
03-22-2006, 06:20 PM
I thought it was just a song about dog crap.

I saw a little kid as he walked around he picked a candy bar up off the ground he chowed about a half then his face turned blue turned out that candy bar was doggy-doo.

DeAtHsTaR
03-22-2006, 06:36 PM
I thought it was just a song about dog crap.
No, that's just the first couple lines.

jacknife737
03-22-2006, 09:25 PM
How could anyone hate ska?

DeAtHsTaR
03-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Yeah, it's such happy music!

Throb'n'guzzle
03-22-2006, 10:38 PM
I wonder what an "emo" ska band would sound like.

Drummerguy123
03-22-2006, 10:39 PM

I don't know, but I sure as Hell don't want to find out.

DeAtHsTaR
03-22-2006, 11:48 PM
Couldn't happen. Emo is depressing and ska is just uplifting.

Llamas
03-23-2006, 12:07 AM
it's so predictable and boring... I can hear the first line of a ska song, and predict how the rest of the song will sound. Plus, the structure is so overdone. Ska is so specific that it all sounds very similar in the end.

Real ska (like the stuff derived from reggae) is great! But this newer pop/ska (reel big fish, no doubt, mighty bosstones, etc) just gets boring, to me.

Eternal Yamcha
03-23-2006, 04:23 AM
I was just reminded of something I saw on the homestarrunner.com site.

In one of the cartoons (Teen Girl Squad Issue #8) had a one man band named "Fatty's Big Chance." In the HRWiki, they describe Fatty as "A Ska" machine and all he said was "Pick it up, pick it up. Hup hup. Pick it up, pick it up."

So apparently the phrase "Pick it up" is either used in Ska alot... Or... Is something to stereotype Ska with.

Venom Symbiote
03-23-2006, 06:51 AM
It's said a lot in ska songs, as a sort of stereotypical breakdown before a big chorus or horn line. Eg. *insert guitar lick here* "Pickituppickituppickituppickitup!" *musical interlude follows*.

It's pretty common.

And as for ska music being "uplifting"? Reel Big Fish aren't fucking uplifting. They're about the most depressing cynical band I know.

Not all ska bands are the Christian-Teen-Marching-Band types.

*defends ska for a while, rambling on insanely*

And whoever was taking shots at the 'Fish and the Bosstones, kindly go and rape something. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones are such a seminal classic band, you can't badmouth them. It's like slagging Megadeth or Judas Priest or something. Blasphemy.

And RBF have their good qualities, too.

DeAtHsTaR
03-23-2006, 07:40 AM
it's so predictable and boring... I can hear the first line of a ska song, and predict how the rest of the song will sound. Plus, the structure is so overdone. Ska is so specific that it all sounds very similar in the end.

Real ska (like the stuff derived from reggae) is great! But this newer pop/ska (reel big fish, no doubt, mighty bosstones, etc) just gets boring, to me.
Listen to Streetlight Manifesto dude!

DeAtHsTaR
03-23-2006, 07:43 AM
And as for ska music being "uplifting"? Reel Big Fish aren't fucking uplifting. They're about the most depressing cynical band I know.
They have cynical lyrics, but they sound so happy! They could be singing a Cannibal Corpse song and it would still sound happy! In fact, the only RBF song I've heard that was the least bit depressing to me was One Hit Wonderful. Good song though.