PDA

View Full Version : Re: Photo Album - "If you don't like it, don't comment on it"

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Bullshit.

If you post something, anything, in my opinion you leave yourself liable to all comments, good or bad. If you can't cope with bad comments, don't post said item.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
03-22-2006, 12:33 PM
I just don't like offending people. I try to be "cool" with everyone. But I don't expect everyone to follow this. It is just me. I believe it is all just a bunch of Barney (yes, Barney, the purple dinosaur), "If you can't say something nice, don't say it all." Not possible.

Edit: To sum it up, I side with you. But you still won't see me call someone an "ugly, worthless bastard" unless it really needs to be said.

JohnnyNemesis
03-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Bullshit.

If you post something, anything, in my opinion you leave yourself liable to all comments, good or bad. If you can't cope with bad comments, don't post said item.

I say word teh fuxkz up on this one. Not surprising that the person who said this in the Photo Album thread is well-known for bullshit compliments...

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-22-2006, 12:36 PM
I just don't like offending people. I try to be "cool" with everyone. But I don't expect everyone to follow this. It is just me. I believe it is all just a bunch of Barney (yes, Barney, the purple dinosaur), "If you can't say something nice, don't say it all." Not possible.

Edit: To sum it up, I side with you. But you still won't see me call someone an "ugly, worthless bastard" unless it really needs to be said.

There's a difference between bad comments and really offensive comments.

JohnnyNemesis
03-22-2006, 12:38 PM
And there is also a difference between genuine sympathy and pity. I see too much of the latter all around, and rarely any of the former.

Kinda makes me sick, to be honest, because people so often give pity to make up for the fact that they feel no genuine sympathy. It's usually more about them than the person they should be feeling sympathy for.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
03-22-2006, 12:40 PM
There's a difference between bad comments and really offensive comments.

True. It was hard to notice what you meant in your first description. So when you put it those terms... I guess it is okay to post the comment, most definitely. The person should know when their work or themselves is just "awful" but they might not realize it when it is "bad". Therefore, they should be told. I'm pretty glad I was told some "bad" things about myself so I could improve in it.

Nirushika6789
03-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Ooooh...JN someone is in a bad mood today! Chill out!...And I don't talk bullshit...and please instead of saying 'this person' say my damn name, stand by your comment!

and Tunb I said what I said Because she went out of her way to say something mean...Also do you think she would have said something if it was say, I dunno, you that had drawn those pictures...no because she likes you so she will refrain from hurting your feelings...but because it is ruroken she doesn't mind saying something mean which will hurt someone...

JohnnyNemesis
03-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Ooooh...JN someone is in a bad mood today! Chill out!...And I don't talk bullshit...and please instead of saying 'this person' say my damn name, stand by your comment!

I'm being honest, not mean. And I AM standing by my comment; check the Photo Album for proof.

and Tunb I said what I said Because she went out of her way to say something mean...Also do you think she would have said something if it was say, I dunno, you that had drawn those pictures...no because she likes you so she will refrain from hurting your feelings...but because it is ruroken she doesn't mind saying something mean which will hurt someone...

She's friends with ruroken too, I believe.

Nirushika6789
03-22-2006, 12:45 PM
I just read the photo album...you can check my comment...

I was wrong, ok...

JohnnyNemesis
03-22-2006, 12:46 PM
We know.

This thread is gonna start a whole new wave of debates later on this evening though, the same way this subject always does. Ergh.

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-22-2006, 12:46 PM
It's not just you that says it, it's plenty of people. This thread isn't solely made because of you.

Nirushika6789
03-22-2006, 12:49 PM
We know.

This thread is gonna start a whole new wave of debates later on this evening though, the same way this subject always does. Ergh.
Then close it before it turns to rubbish.

And TUNB I thought it was for me?!...*cries* I'm not special anymore:p jk,not serious

@Adrainn:ok

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-22-2006, 12:55 PM
.. wait, are you talking to me? I never said it was just me that says that. And I know this thread isn't just about me.

No, that was to Niruk.. etc.

Sunny
03-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by TheUnholyNightbringer
Bullshit.

I say word teh fuxkz up on this one. Not surprising that the person who said this in the Photo Album thread is well-known for bullshit compliments...

hrm.

So... if someone fugly posts a picture of their fugly mug, and they are otherwise a very nice person and a good poster... is it better not to say anything or to say ZOMG UR FULL OF FUG?

personally, i'd pick the former.

mind you, i don't like bullshit compliments; in fact, i often find them offensive. however, i also believe that being considerate and keeping your negative opinions to yourself can be a good thing. this doesn't include giving constructive criticism or tips for improvement, of course.

All About Eve
03-22-2006, 03:55 PM
I think you're missing the point, Sunny. He's saying that it's alright to post your opinion, even if it may not be what the person was wanting; not that you have to.

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-22-2006, 03:55 PM
hrm.

So... if someone fugly posts a picture of their fugly mug, and they are otherwise a very nice person and a good poster... is it better not to say anything or to say ZOMG UR FULL OF FUG?

personally, i'd pick the former.

mind you, i don't like bullshit compliments; in fact, i often find them offensive. however, i also believe that being considerate and keeping your negative opinions to yourself can be a good thing. this doesn't include giving constructive criticism or tips for improvement, of course.

This is the difference between a bad comment and an offensive one.

And can I just say, ZOMG UR FULL OF FUG made me laugh so very hard.

Sunny
03-22-2006, 04:00 PM
eep. i might've missed the point indeed. what i was commenting on was the "If you don't like it, don't comment on it" statement being bullshit... which i don't think it is..

anyway, no, i definitely agree that there's a difference between offensive comments and bad comments.. i just feel that the line between these two can be easily crossed.

ya know, before i embarrass myself further, may someone please link me to the photo album discussion in question. i feel a little out of the loop here. >_>

Sunny
03-22-2006, 04:00 PM
yey! sigged!

..ahem.

All About Eve
03-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Sunny, you're full of fug, but it's just my opinion!:):):)

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-22-2006, 04:03 PM
ya know, before i embarrass myself further, may someone please link me to the photo album discussion in question. i feel a little out of the loop here. >_>

Basically ruroken posted some art and someone said it sucked (Adriann I think) and he said something along the lines of "if you dont like it, don't respond to it!".

anyway, no, i definitely agree that there's a difference between offensive comments and bad comments.. i just feel that the line between these two can be easily crossed.

Of course it's easy to cross the line. But my point is if you post your pic you leave yourself open to any kind of comment, so don't cry if someone leaves you a less than glowing comment.

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Sunny, you're full of fug, but it's just my opinion!:):):)

If Sunny's full of Fug, I sure want my Fug levels topped up.

Eh? EH?

Sunny
03-22-2006, 04:12 PM
omg i feel like such a fool because i didn't know we were even talking about art.

now.. art is a whole different story. ripping people new ones because their art sucks is one of life's greater pleasures. in fact, it never fails to brighten a dull and boring school day. :D :D :D

i'm going to hell. =/

i thought the discussion was about, well, Photo Album content, which is essentially mugshots... and i believe that when we're talking about physical appearance, it's sometimes better to keep your opinion to yourself. certainly, the poster makes themselves open to all kinds of comments by posting a picture.. but, eh. *shrugs*

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-22-2006, 04:14 PM
It applies to pictures too. But obviously what counts as bad and offensive with a picture is different to art.

Sunny
03-22-2006, 04:22 PM
see.. to me the difference is huge. with physical appearance.. it's something that everyone is very focused on and insecure about.. so i feel like a jerkoff making a bad comment about it. it's also something that's very difficult (potentially costly or painful or plain impossible) to change, and it's generally a touchy subject.

also, it's hard to determine what's "just bad" and what's offensive when commenting on something the poster has to live with. =/

Andy
03-22-2006, 04:24 PM
What's FUG???

All About Eve
03-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Edit: To Sunny.

You're not taking into account that many arists, regardless of what their art is, care more about that than they do their appearance.

What's FUG???

A noun form of Fugly, basically.

Sunny
03-22-2006, 04:29 PM
oh, i'm well aware of that. however, creating art is a skill. an acquired skill, in most cases. it can be gradually improved and perfected with practice. you choose the subject matter and the medium. i have no problem criticizing someone's level of skill or questioning the decisions they make.

appearance, aside from minor grooming choices, is something you don't get to choose. unless you are addicted to plastic surgery, your appearance has been determined mostly by factors you have no control over.

Andy
03-22-2006, 04:31 PM
I prefer Pug Fugly

All About Eve
03-22-2006, 04:35 PM
oh, i'm well aware of that. however, creating art is a skill. an acquired skill, in most cases. it can be gradually improved and perfected with practice. you choose the subject matter and the medium. i have no problem criticizing someone's level of skill or questioning the decisions they make.

appearance, aside from minor grooming choices, is something you don't get to choose. unless you are addicted to plastic surgery, your appearance has been determined mostly by factors you have no control over.

You have to take into account different choices for hair color, hair styles, eye color even (contact lenses), not to mention all the different makeup possibilities for women. It's almost just as diverse these days; and they're all mostly choices.

Sunny
03-22-2006, 04:41 PM
those are all minor compared to the bone structure, cartilege structure, eye shape/size, lip shape, nose size, body type and hair type. those determine how attractive or not a person is. grooming (which is essentially all the stuff you named) can help, but the most important factors aren't things we can't change.

Sin Studly
03-22-2006, 04:46 PM
I respect your right to bite your tongue when some hideous fuck posts a picture, you should respect our right to call them a hideous fuck. I can't help but think you feel so strongly about this because you're terrified somebody is going to call you a hideous fuck.

All About Eve
03-22-2006, 04:54 PM
So you'd feel justified insulting and tearing down someone's life accomplishments, but not saying their ugly although they may not care about it?

Sunny
03-22-2006, 05:23 PM
I respect your right to bite your tongue when some hideous fuck posts a picture, you should respect our right to call them a hideous fuck. I can't help but think you feel so strongly about this because you're terrified somebody is going to call you a hideous fuck.

the reason why I feel so strongly about this is not fear anymore, because I'm no longer as afraid as I used to be. It's actually having experienced that kind of criticism. Luckily for myself, the things that are "wrong" with my face are easily fixable with a couple of grand and a week with an icepack. Yay? However, I still remember being told that my nose is too big, which is a pretty mild criticism.. and feeling incredibly insecure and most of all helpless, because it was something i felt i couldn't change. I'm not that vulnerable anymore, and i know i have the ability to correct that flaw, but I try to refrain from making others feel the same way. Simply because, well, it is a god damn shitty feeling.

All About Eve
03-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Sunny, I really understand your point of view, but I really think it depends on the person. I'd much rather have my looks be called inferior than whatever I'm trying to accomplish in life. If that happens to be looks for the person, yeah. But often times it's not.

Sunny
03-22-2006, 05:29 PM
So you'd feel justified insulting and tearing down someone's life accomplishments, but not saying their ugly although they may not care about it?

Quite honestly, I don't think that the stuff that's being posted here or shown at my school can be considered one's "life accomplishment". In fact, I giggled when I read that... If a person was at the end of their path, so to speak, and showing me their life's work, I would certainly be considerate. Otherwise... no. If they are showing their work, i would hope that they desire to improve and learn, and criticism can greatly help that. I try not to be rude, I don't "insult" people (where did you get THAT?) but I will be critical if I feel it's adequate.

All About Eve
03-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Then why can't you be critical as adequate if it's as simple as looks? And I apologize, insult was the wrong word for lack of a better one.

Sunny
03-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Because I don't feel that it's fair. Let's compare two very specific criticisms:

"The spaces between letters in your poster are really uneven".

and

"Your chin is really long"

of course, both can be just ignored. but say the person does take the criticism to heart:
with the former, the criticized thing is easily fixable, if the person wants to do so and feels insecure about it. the latter, not only is it something they can't control, but also the only way to fix it is to get surgery for it.

see what i'm sayin?

Sin Studly
03-22-2006, 05:56 PM
But you still seem to think that we should care if the person is hurt or not.

All About Eve
03-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Yes, but to me that almost goes down to giving "special" people TOO much attention and stuff. If you have to tip-toe around all the ones who can't change what they're criticizable for, then you're being unfair to the ones you don't have to.

Tizzalicious
03-22-2006, 05:59 PM
I agree with everything Sunny said in this thread, I don't think there's more to add.

Linda
03-22-2006, 08:43 PM
I agree with Sunny too.

Also, a few people here are being very dense....or...
maybe it's just that whole "not everyone has common sense" thing.

Paint_It_Black
03-23-2006, 01:09 AM
Oh good, photo album controversy of the week.

JoY
03-23-2006, 04:25 AM
I wanted to say something about constructive criticism, but then Mags did & I didn't need to say anything. but then I still did, because I just wanted to say I agree with Mags.

I'm not exactly a total saint on the subject, but yeah.. overal, I don't go around telling people every single negative point that pops up in my head. to me that seems incredibly immature, offensive & uncalled for. if someone posts a picture, they show themselves & don't necessarily ask for comments. often it's obvious people want comments, but sometimes it's just a matter of showing your face to match it with your screenname. if someone posts a picture of their ugly mug, I don't feel I'm in the position to tell them they're teh hideous.

killer_queen
03-23-2006, 06:02 AM
Art is something that you can get better at and you need honest comments from people to improve yourself. So there's no point at posting pictures of them if you are planning to answer "you can't do better".

Sunny
03-23-2006, 08:49 AM
killer_queen - exactly.

i'm glad to see that people get what i'm saying... i dunno, i got the "some people being deliberately dense" vibe from this discussion too.

Yes, but to me that almost goes down to giving "special" people TOO much attention and stuff. If you have to tip-toe around all the ones who can't change what they're criticizable for, then you're being unfair to the ones you don't have to.

i don't see it as tip-toeing, i see it as being respectful. just because i don't tell people "your face is crooked" doesn't mean i have to TIP-fucking-TOE in a conversation with them.

i don't mean to compare ugly faces to a disability, but if you had a friend in a wheelchair, would you say "shit, man, your legs sure do suck", or would you shut the hell up? it's something they can't help. not mentioning it is NOT it's not tip-toeing.

and i don't see myself as being unfair when i criticize people who can change. they have the ability and the potential to change the criticized trait, so they won't feel stuck and powerless when criticized. zomg get it?

JoY
03-23-2006, 08:58 AM
I fully, wholeheartly agee.

JohnnyNemesis
03-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Even though I agree too, I don't think people are being deliberately dense so much as they're challenging the "point-zero" perspective you're basing your claims on.

Still, I agree with you because what you're saying applies to enough people, and as a result, you're making total sense. I think what everyone is holding on to is the fact that it doesn't apply to everyone.

Sunny
03-23-2006, 10:02 AM
i'm glad you agree. :] i just didn't see their argument as particularly valid, i guess, because DUH, OF COURSE it doesn't apply to every single human being. i got that. nothing does.. except maybe for "we're all gonna die". but what i was talking about IS extremely common. at least from my experience.

JohnnyNemesis
03-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Well, I'M not gonna die!!! =P

Sunny
03-23-2006, 10:06 AM
don't you be a smartass, mister, or i'll have to prove you wrong!

*angry sunny kung-fu hand chop*

;D

JohnnyNemesis
03-23-2006, 10:07 AM
*head falls off due to crazy sunny kung-fu hand chop in SUPER-COOL movie style*

JoY
03-23-2006, 10:31 AM
this conversation is taking a turn towards the topic on media-induced violence. *giggles*

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-23-2006, 10:32 AM
this conversation is taking a turn towards the topic on media-induced violence. *giggles*

I JUST WATCHED BARNEY. DON'T FUCK WITH ME!

(<3)

JoY
03-23-2006, 10:35 AM
hehe, oh you watch it, baybee. I just watched Oprah.

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Don't go near her guys, she's unstable.

She's like Chernobyl, in Dutch form!

JoY
03-23-2006, 10:40 AM
lolz, I thought Chernobyl was already a synonym for Tizz? XD

wheelchairman
03-23-2006, 10:47 AM
(because of the farting.)

JoY
03-23-2006, 10:50 AM