PDA

View Full Version : bass or guitar?

sanjo
03-22-2006, 07:03 PM
i dont know what instrument to play???

im starting but i cant choose....

my friend wants me too get a bass that way all we would need is a drumber for our band!
i would also be lead singer though!

can u guys give me sum pros and cons to each instrument so i can maybe choose

T-6005
03-22-2006, 07:27 PM
You can be lead singer and play bass or guitar.

And I can't recommend between guitar and bass. Personally I play guitar, but who knows what's right for you?

coke_a_holic
03-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Bass would probably be easier, seeing as you'd be playing Offspring songs, most likely. Playing bass with a pick is similar to raping an infant, you just need to get over some initial problems that are normal for beginners with no experience before it becomes smooth sailing.

Jebus
03-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Depending on the type of band, guitar is usually the dominating intrument so you'll get noticed more. That's the only pro I could think of. Then again, bands that use bass as the leading instrument usually pwn guitar eccentric bands. There really isn't a better instrument. It all depends on preference and style. If you're serious about starting a band, then just go for the bass but I wouldn't start the band right away. Get to know the instrument and learn the basics first. Also, bass tends to be easier than guitar when just starting. More advance stuff are at par with each other.

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-23-2006, 08:12 AM
^ Perfect. Nothing more to say.

I'd also like to add, if you're going to play the bass, don't use a pick. Please. I know it's easy and it's tempting but please. It'll be easier in the long run if you just start with fingers.

el_monkey
03-23-2006, 11:09 AM
hm... I'd say bass. as a lead singer you won't play lead guitar anyway. and since every standard high school band singer plays guitar it would drag more attention when you played bass

mrconeman
03-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Try both, pick a winner, no one can tell you what you like.
But most of whats been said in this topic is also good information to go by.

sanjo
03-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Depending on the type of band

it would be a classic rock band w/ sum blues and jazzy stuff. in honor of creedence & the who...
plus im a littlebit inspired by JACK BRUCE as he plays bass and is prittyu much the lead singer of cream :cool:

sanjo
03-23-2006, 05:37 PM
^ Perfect. Nothing more to say.

I'd also like to add, if you're going to play the bass, don't use a pick. Please. I know it's easy and it's tempting but please. It'll be easier in the long run if you just start with fingers.

so start with fingers and then move up to the pick. or stay with the fingers 4ever?

Jebus
03-23-2006, 05:41 PM
fingers 4ever

sanjo
03-23-2006, 05:46 PM
dosnt that mess up ur fingers?
blisters ect...?

Jebus
03-23-2006, 05:51 PM
You'll develop calluses on both your right and left hand giving you tough skin. It helps because your fingers tips will hurt a bit when just starting but later on you won't feel anything.

coke_a_holic
03-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Also: Pick bassists suck ass.

yay
03-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Also: Pick bassists suck ass.You do realise that on songs such as LAPD it was quite obvious that Greg K used a pick.

Jebus
03-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Greg K is a bad bass player.

yay
03-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Greg K is a bad bass player.I agree, I'm just suprised people here realise it.

coke_a_holic
03-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Greg K is a bad bass player.
1 2 3

T-6005
03-23-2006, 07:01 PM
it would be a classic rock band w/ sum blues and jazzy stuff. in honor of creedence & the who...
plus im a littlebit inspired by JACK BRUCE as he plays bass and is prittyu much the lead singer of cream :cool:
Blues and jazz and you don't play at all yet?

Manic subsidal
03-23-2006, 08:14 PM
I've been playing on the bass lately. I think using a pick sounds a lot better than using fingers actually. It gives a really nice crisp sound. But I guess it depends on the type of music. The pick style seems more suited for punk rock music and stuff. But meh.. I've actually wrote some funky bass lines and when I play them with a pick, it sounds uh... daaamn funkay gurl

T-6005
03-23-2006, 09:42 PM
I've been playing on the bass lately. I think using a pick sounds a lot better than using fingers actually. It gives a really nice crisp sound. But I guess it depends on the type of music. The pick style seems more suited for punk rock music and stuff. But meh.. I've actually wrote some funky bass lines and when I play them with a pick, it sounds uh... daaamn funkay gurl
Considering the fact that fingers go from Muse to Jazz, I'd say they're a better choice.

DeAtHsTaR
03-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Also: Pick bassists suck ass.
Chris Squire used a pick, dumbass.

edit: nevermind, you probably have no idea who that is or how good he was.

To the topic starter, don't decide to pick or play with your fingers, just do what feels better. Don't do what people tell you to do, do what you want.

T-6005
03-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Chris Squire used a pick, dumbass.

edit: nevermind, you probably have no idea who that is or how good he was.

To the topic starter, don't decide to pick or play with your fingers, just do what feels better. Don't do what people tell you to do, do what you want.
Dain, the people in this topic know what they're talking about, as opposed to SB-C.

Jebus
03-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Hey thibault, I bought my friend's Ipod and I found some Muse mp3s in it which I like a lot. Got any album recommendations?

Dain, when I started playing guitar, I only wanted to down pick because it felt better and it was easier. If I didn't follow other people's advice of learning how to alternate pick, I'd still probably be using that inefficient down picking technique. Sure, it took me a few months to get comfortable to play that way, but it was better for me in the long run. Just like down picking vs, alternate picking, using picks vs. fingers is more about proper technique than preference. Even though Chris Squire is a good bass player, finger picking is just more versatile and efficient.

EDIT:
Nothing more to say.

I'd also like to add,
This made me laugh.

T-6005
03-24-2006, 01:21 AM
Hey thibault, I bought my friend's Ipod and I found some Muse mp3s in it which I like a lot. Got any album recommendations?If you like listening to individual songs, easily Origin of Symmetry - strongest all-around muse album. Probably the best mixed album, however, is Absolution.

If you're a huge Radiohead fan, I'd say pick up Showbiz.

Other than that, I'd honestly recommend Origin of Symmetry as generally the best Muse album ever.

So much so that it's on my all time top 3 albums.

DeAtHsTaR
03-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Dain, the people in this topic know what they're talking about, as opposed to SB-C.
So you're gonna maintain that Chris Squire sucks ass at playing? After all, ALL pick players suck pretty bad.

http://chrissquire.com/images/imgSquireHPMiddleLeft.jpg
Can't see the pick, but it's there.

DeAtHsTaR
03-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Dain, when I started playing guitar, I only wanted to down pick because it felt better and it was easier. If I didn't follow other people's advice of learning how to alternate pick, I'd still probably be using that inefficient down picking technique. Sure, it took me a few months to get comfortable to play that way, but it was better for me in the long run. Just like down picking vs, alternate picking, using picks vs. fingers is more about proper technique than preference. Even though Chris Squire is a good bass player, finger picking is just more versatile and efficient.

Good point.... as for the alternate picking debate, I can't just downpick, I have to alternate. Honestly, I just like the sound of pick playing on bass better for the types of music I play. Fingers sounds a lot better for blues and jazz, that's obvious. Most people will agree that picks are mroe efficient for punk and metal. Of course, it's still about preference, so whatever floats your boat, so to speak.
And for my metal comment, don't be a smartass and bring up Cliff Burton. ;)

mrconeman
03-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Steve Harris anyone?

II NOODLES II
03-24-2006, 05:05 PM
What about Steve Harris

Jebus
03-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Most people will agree that picks are mroe efficient for punk and metal.
From the bassists that I've spoken to or met online, this seems to be true only for noobs but more experienced players will agree fingers are better. Most guitarists and bassists that start out playing punk tend to start playing more difficult stuff once playing punk gets old. You might as well start learning to play with your fingers because picks just won't cut it later on and making a transition of picks to fingers will be tough if you're too used picks. The thread starter also said he was going for a classic rock/jazz/blues type of band so fingers are the way to go.

Thibault, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to look for some on soulseek.

mrconeman
03-24-2006, 05:34 PM
What about Steve Harris
Guy above me mentioned that picks are better for metal, Steve plays fingers.
Agree with Jebus too. Ask anyone whos more serious about their selected instrument than any one particular genre they can play on it, any one genre will get old for that kind of person and they will move on to bigger, harder and probably better things, with bass, for those kind of people, I would say learning to play with your fingers is essentail.

T-6005
03-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Generally, pick bassists suck ass. Are you going to contest that? There are always exceptions to the rule, you stupid idiot. Get the hell over it. He didn't mean that 100% of pick bassists suck ass, just that most do. And I agree with him.

Fingers tend to be more popular in good players of any genre. Minus punk, of course - oh wait, there are no good punk bassists.

Dain, just fucking give up. From the one shot I've seen of you playing bass, you don't even fucking know what you're doing.

DeAtHsTaR
03-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Generally, pick bassists suck ass. Are you going to contest that? There are always exceptions to the rule, you stupid idiot. Get the hell over it. , just that most do. And I agree with him.

Fingers tend to be more popular in good players of any genre. Minus punk, of course - oh wait, there are no good punk bassists.

Dain, just fucking give up. From the one shot I've seen of you playing bass, you don't even fucking know what you're doing.
Psh, that was recorded two days after I started. It's been three months.

He didn't mean that 100% of pick bassists suck ass
Okay, but that's what he said.

jasofern
03-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Psh, that was recorded two days after I started. It's been three months.

wow, you must be learning, what, how to use the A string now?

DeAtHsTaR
03-24-2006, 07:05 PM
wow, you must be learning, what, how to use the A string now?
Where did that come from?

jasofern
03-24-2006, 07:16 PM
dont worry

what sort of stuff do you play anyways?

OddOneOut_Bassist
03-24-2006, 07:19 PM
i dont know what instrument to play???

im starting but i cant choose....

my friend wants me too get a bass that way all we would need is a drumber for our band!
i would also be lead singer though!

can u guys give me sum pros and cons to each instrument so i can maybe choose
bass... is usually easier... 4 strings for 4 fingers lol...

jasofern
03-24-2006, 07:22 PM
well now there's a great way to choose an instrument, match it with the amount of fingers you have.

i've played bass for a while now, and i reckon its great. im in a band, and we have 2 guitarists as well. i'd say for your situation, you'd probably be better off playing bass.

really, if you want to, you can take up guitar as well further down the track. thats what i did. but if you're playing bass for your band, dont let guitar steal your attention from the main instrument you're supposed to be playing.

DeAtHsTaR
03-24-2006, 08:02 PM
bass... is usually easier... 4 strings for 4 fingers lol...
Easier at first I guess, but advanced stuff is right on par with each other.

sanjo
03-24-2006, 08:24 PM
so playing with a pick is whack??

did JACK BRUCE(CREAM) USE A PICK?

sanjo
03-24-2006, 08:27 PM
is playing guitar equaL TO PLATIN THE BASS?

LIKE IF I LEARN TO PLAY THE GUITAR WILL I KNOW HOW TO PLAY THE BASS??

CAUSE THERES ONLY GUITAR CLASS IN HIGH SCHOOL NO BASS CLASS SUCKS!

DeAtHsTaR
03-24-2006, 08:32 PM
so playing with a pick is whack??

did JACK BRUCE(CREAM) USE A PICK?
Most of the time I think.

DeAtHsTaR
03-24-2006, 08:33 PM
is playing guitar equaL TO PLATIN THE BASS?

LIKE IF I LEARN TO PLAY THE GUITAR WILL I KNOW HOW TO PLAY THE BASS??

CAUSE THERES ONLY GUITAR CLASS IN HIGH SCHOOL NO BASS CLASS SUCKS!
If you know how to play one, you can play the other, but not that good of course, but it gives you an idea.

mrconeman
03-24-2006, 08:34 PM
The psysics of both bass and guitar basic stuff, is idendicle really. Learning one will give a general idea of how the other works.

Jebus
03-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Most of the time I think.
I don't listen to cream but form the pictures I'm finding, he uses his fingers.
http://www.jackbruce.com/images/Jack_1970_JPG.jpg http://www.jackbruce.com/images/JackSings2.jpg

The psysics of both bass and guitar basic stuff, is idendicle really. Learning one will give a general idea of how the other works.
yeah, the physics are pretty much the same, but I wouldn't say that you could play bass because you know how to play guitar. Both instruments are played differently. Still, knowing one instrument will help you with the other a lot.

mrconeman
03-24-2006, 09:07 PM
yeah, the physics are pretty much the same, but I wouldn't say that you could play bass because you know how to play guitar. Both instruments are played differently. Still, knowing one instrument will help you with the other a lot.
Yep, thats what I was trying to get at.
It gives the idea but knowing how to play one instrument wont be the be all and end all of learning the other, me and my bassist friend have traded around a few times at jamming sessions, I get real awkward on bass, but I'm definatly and obviously more capable due to playing guitar beforehand

noodlesfan
03-24-2006, 09:37 PM
it all depends on the picking method you're comfortable with, if you can do the finger picking, good for you, but if you NEED a pick in your hand, you can do bass, but guitar is more fun as far as i'm concerned.

sanjo
03-24-2006, 10:02 PM
thanks im a go for the bass

all fingers man

DeAtHsTaR
03-25-2006, 11:01 AM
I don't listen to cream but form the pictures I'm finding, he uses his fingers.
http://www.jackbruce.com/images/Jack_1970_JPG.jpg http://www.jackbruce.com/images/JackSings2.jpg

Yep, he plays both way. I've seen pics of him using a pick, but I don't feel like finding more.

guitarboy
03-27-2006, 06:46 PM
i play both guitar and bass as far as pic or fingers for bass it really depends on the style of music as most of the replys i've seen here say for jazz and blues use fingers for punks and metal use a pick when you start writhing your own music it will all depend on the feel of the song

one_fine_day
03-29-2006, 04:24 PM
well a bass is just a little bit bigger than guitars.. so i guess you'd look cooler behind one