PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Guitar

T-6005
03-24-2006, 02:23 AM
So a drunk person fell on my acoustic guitar a while ago, and pretty much put a chip in it. I'd like to get it patched up with wood glue, since other than muting, the sound is still perfect.

Does anyone - guitar players or otherwise - have any recommendations for the most effective wood glue?

Lupin
03-24-2006, 02:51 AM
erm, well a chip in you're guitar would probabily be better off being looked at by someone from a guitar shop.
Failing that, i'd recommend going to an actual builders shop. They have glues for everything and would have a glue suited to the wood you're guitars made from.
The only thing you'd wanna watch is using a very chemically glue, some super glues may actually fuck with the varnish finish on an acoustic.
________
Buy vapor tower (http://www.vaporshop.com/vapor-tower-vaporizer.html)

JoY
03-24-2006, 06:13 AM
you can buy mine. it's been in the hands of a famous violinste! who wouldn't want my guitar? ;P *advertise-talk* but seriously though, I've got this lovely acoustic guitar & I don't do anything with it & I'm just afraid the poor thing will get offended at some point, feel neglected & lose it's soul. =( so.. if anyone wants it & will treat it right....

when I first saw this topic, I thought Damaged Guitar was the name of a band. you know, it wouldn't even be that bad for a bandname. *giggle* (I've seen worse ideas around here, maybe my standards have lowered)

as for using glue.. I wouldn't do that, if I were you. sounds like that could get messy & once there's a crack in a wooden instrument, you'll always notice it in the sound. a violin with a crack is worth absolutely nothing, not even if it was made by fucking Stradivarius.

T-6005
03-24-2006, 10:41 AM
I realize that - there's a bit of a squeak when I mute the strings nowadays. But I just can't afford a new acoustic guitar.

killer_queen
03-24-2006, 02:03 PM
I don't think your guitar would be the same. See, my mom used to have a really good acoustic guitar. One day one of her friend hit another friend of my mom with the guitar. She had it repaired, the sound of it was still good. But after a couple of months it started to sound weird. I used it to make my room decorative for a while. Now it's in the basement. Pretty sad story, in my opinion.