PDA

View Full Version : To Give Or To Take?

Rocky-girl
03-24-2006, 10:12 AM
What do you prefer more to give a present or to take a present?

el_monkey
03-24-2006, 10:14 AM
life is taking and giving...
depends on the concerned person. giving, when my girlfriend is the recipient

wheelchairman
03-24-2006, 10:15 AM
I prefer to give.

But I just hate gratitude. Whenever I do something nice I usually don't stick around long enough to get a thank you. (like when you hold a door or give up your seat on the bus.)

Tizzalicious
03-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Give, definitely.

wheelchairman
03-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Give, definitely.
pfff apparently not for sex.

Sunny
03-24-2006, 10:32 AM
i enjoy both. hm.

i love receiving certain gifts... like, when it's obvious the person put a lot of time and thought into it. and it's great when you love the gift and the person who gave it to you lights up when they see your reaction. =) and i love receiving unexpected "just-because" gifts. hehe.

i also enjoy giving gifts... but only to people i actually care about. it's a lot of fun when it's for my parents (i send them flowers like.. every month ha) or husband or good friends. but um... getting gifts for others is just a hassle.

i'm such a bizotch.

the_GoDdEsS
03-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Both. As long as it's honest. And as long as it's not about expectations afterwards. I love giving the right kind of present or doing something, cheering up the ones I love and care about. I don't want anything in return. At the same time receiving can be awesome and sometimes even more wonderful when it's non-material things or things the other person does for you only. Little things too.

Nina
03-24-2006, 10:37 AM
I enjoy giving gifts more than receiving, because people usually dont understand what I like/dont like :[
Which is absolutely not understandable to me, because I like sooooo many things. :/ Ah well. I still like to give a lot more. I just hate always giving and giving and giving and never ever getting anything in return..

Italia311
03-24-2006, 10:38 AM
I like to give. I like to see the expression on ppls face when I give them something..heh. I have been given alot over the years from my parents as well so I would say it is half and half. While I do love recieving gifts, I also like to give gifts too.

I see it as a form of appreciation...i dunno

Andy
03-24-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm a taker. I think that's why I was so popular in Physical Education.

T-6005
03-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Taking, when it comes to material gifts. But I do things for people all the time that don't revolve around physical objects.

I'd still refer to myself as a taker, though.

JohnnyNemesis
03-24-2006, 11:33 AM
When it comes to gifts:

I think I like to give more than receive, except lately. Lately it's been much better to receive than to give because some people act weird when I do nice things for them. Rather than explain, I'll quote an old LJ post of mine from XMAS time '05:

Why is it that almost every person I've given holiday love to with that CD I made has been totally awkward about it?

Some quotes:

"A gift for me? Why?!" (in the form of genuine slightly hostile inquiry, not a modest fake question)

"You went through all this work?" (same form)

"You came here just to give this to me?" (same form)

(After glancing at tracklist) "Eww, you listen to (insert band here)?! Er, heh. (insert laugh here)"

...am I missing something? Is there something sketchy about what I'm doing? Is it not normal to give gifts during the holiday season? 'Cause I didn't get the memo.

Yeah, people are idiots.

Another reason I've been liking receiving more than giving lately is because I'm really into collectibles and all types of nostalgia, and people are finally realizing that about me/buying me shit to cover that.

When it comes to everything else:

It doesn't fucking matter, since all I EVER do is give and never receive anything.

...er, yeah.

Duskygrin
03-24-2006, 11:36 AM
I fucking take & when you turn your back, I take some more.

Rocky-girl
03-24-2006, 11:38 AM
life is taking and giving...
Very philosophic.:)
I can't decided what I like more:( I think to give just to see smile on the face that whom I love :)

Italia311
03-24-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm a taker. I think that's why I was so popular in Physical Education.

Not to be mistaken for reciever??? I dunno...

@ Dusky...hahahahahaha thats what Im talkin about!

JoY
03-24-2006, 11:51 AM
giving has some complications;
you have to find something - no, I WANT to find something - that's original & from the heart. sometimes I'm just uninspired & can't think of anything & then eventually I hate every single thing I dare to lay my eyes on as a possible present.
just the awkwardness of someone feeling they need to react like a happy bunny with their present. even if they're totally completely happy with it, you'll never know, because they put so much effort in letting you know, it seems fake either way.
the moment they're unwrapping the present. you just wait & stand there, like "lookie, I gave a present! I know what's in it, wait till you see it! open up open up!". uuuuuuncomfortable.
then there's the sincere thank you's & gratitude of which I never know where to put it. it's like compliments. I never know where to put those either.

but then again.. I for instance love to spoil my boyfriend. I wish I had the money to spoil him more than I do, but relatively I already spend too much on him. the other day I spent my last money on flowers for him. white tulips. they were adorable! I just found his room so lifeless, it needed a little something on his dinnertable. <3

so yeah, I DO like buying unexpected presents for no particular occasion. because of the surprise-factor. just to let the other know I don't only buy him/her presents if I'm 'socially obligated', but also just because. it's a statement of appreciation & luurrrve.

receiving is obviously great, but even then I like to be surprised most. I don't want to force my friends in a position when I give a birthday party, that they feel they *have* to buy me things, because I fucking age. that's just.. bahh. of course this is just the way it goes. I just wish people would surprise me more, not out of gratitude, for achievements, or with congratulations, but just because they occasionally think of me.

Tizzalicious
03-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Aww I like receiving surprise gifts too, better than birthday//whatever gifts. Same with giving actually. I don't like shopping for presents when I HAVE to get something, but I love running into something I think someone will love, and then getting it for them, just because.

Today my mom got me a plant//flowers, just to bring some spring in my room and to thank me for always emptying the dishwasher. So sweet!

JoY
03-24-2006, 12:03 PM
exactly!

surprise-gifts.. doesn't seem a very Dutch attitude.

Tizzalicious
03-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Nope, true. Which is a shame!

JoY
03-24-2006, 12:08 PM
we don't belong here. out of all countries, two suprise-gift-loving girls had to end up in the Netherlands. *heart snaps* if only people could catch the concept of surprise-gifts like a disease.

Tizzalicious
03-24-2006, 12:09 PM
I have a lot of penpals and we exchange little things sometimes though, it's great :) I love mail, I love packages even more.

killer_queen
03-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Giving.
I give the best presents on birthdays, christmas or just anytime. Having a good memory helps a lot in fact, nobody knows what people really want better than me. I love giving presents and watching the really happy and surprised faces. If anyone wants one of those presents on this board can give me her/his adress. (So I can stalk them easily) =P

And about taking, probably I would love it too but for all of my life I've never got a good present. I don't want to brag but I guess my friends are not kind like me. =/

Rocky-girl
03-24-2006, 12:23 PM
I think I have a bad memory. Sometimes I know what my friens want, sometimes I don't. And sometimes I'm really puzzeled with such question. And now it's so bad I have 3 birthdays and I don't know what to buy :) It's easier to me to buy a present for friend than to my relatives. And it makes me sad.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
03-24-2006, 12:26 PM
I like to give. I try not to give away things that aren't "good". But there is still a chance I can take something that is bad. So it is better that someone is happy rather than no one.