PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever notice? (DUI, TEotL, GA)

Eternal Yamcha
03-25-2006, 05:50 AM
I apologize if this thread has been done before, I did use the search button and couldn't find that it has, but just incase it does and I didn't see it, I'm sorry.

Has anyone ever noticed that the songs DUI, The End of the Line and Gone Away, when played in that order, seem to create a bit of a story? I discovered this awhile back (a year or so ago) and ever since, when I have those songs, I place them in that order in almost all of my playlists.

Just listen/read the lyrics and you'll know what I'm talking about. There might be a bit of editing to do to the stories that the individual songs tell, but not all that much.

The story goes like this.

DUI: A guy, whose drinking problems are notorious, gets drunk at a bar with his friends. His friends try to keep him off of the road and one eventually contacts his girlfriend. He is completely convinced that he isn't drunk and eventually gets out of the bar and gets in his car. In his intoxicated state, he speeds recklessly down the highway and eventually gets into an accident...

The End of the Line: The guy crashes into another car at an insanely high speed. The other driver is killed. When he is pulled out of the car he looks over trying to see who the other driver is... It was his girlfriend. For the next few days he lays in a hospital bed, feeling just god awful that he killed his girlfriend. For whatever reason, he was able to go to her funeral... After the funeral, he's taken to (or back to) prison...

Gone Away: A few years pass and he gets out of prison on probation. Spending years in a cell stewing in his own anger and pain over his lost loved one, he is finally freed. The world begins to feel different, people treat him differently finding out that he has killed someone... His friends, after not seeing him much, if at all, during that time he was in prison have alienated themselves from him and thus, visits the grave of his deceased lover... Finally admitting that he'd rather have died than her.

I know it's a bit of a stretch and the story has a few holes in it, but the basis of one exists between these three songs.

I found this out by accident, I didn't go searching for it. The randomizer for my media player was on and it played those three songs in a row and that's when I discovered it.

So yes, my question to you is... "Has anyone else noticed this?" Also, it'd be awesome if people pointed out any other "stories" like this in other Offspring songs?

That_Guy91
03-25-2006, 05:52 AM
I have to admit, this thread didn't look promising, but this is pretty good. Kudos!

And no, I never noticed.

nightvision
03-25-2006, 06:32 AM
That doesn't make sense at all dude.

alistair13
03-25-2006, 06:35 AM
wait... what do end of the line and gone away have anything to do with prison?

Eternal Yamcha
03-25-2006, 06:40 AM
wait... what do end of the line and gone away have anything to do with prison?
It's just one of those things that you need to edit in the song's original stories to tie the three together.

Jerry
03-25-2006, 07:00 AM
I claim it's rather a coincidence. You can compare hundreds punk songs (not only offspring's songs) as well because there are a lot about girls, parties, death or rebel... Or car accidents

Eternal Yamcha
03-25-2006, 07:07 AM
I know it was probably a coincidence, but it's an interesting coincidence none-the-less. And I know that it can be apply to more than just The Offspring... Usually bands that have larger libraries.

Apathy
03-25-2006, 07:26 AM
It's cool. Wasn't done on purpose that's for sure. Seeing as Gone Away was written before The End Of the Line, and if they were supposed to be a story, they'd probably all be on the same album.

It's still pretty cool though.

Nirushika6789
03-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Oooh...I never thought of that...pretty cool...

pretty_fly_white_guy858
03-25-2006, 09:49 AM
I apologize if this thread has been done before, I did use the search button and couldn't find that it has, but just incase it does and I didn't see it, I'm sorry.

Has anyone ever noticed that the songs DUI, The End of the Line and Gone Away, when played in that order, seem to create a bit of a story? I discovered this awhile back (a year or so ago) and ever since, when I have those songs, I place them in that order in almost all of my playlists.

Just listen/read the lyrics and you'll know what I'm talking about. There might be a bit of editing to do to the stories that the individual songs tell, but not all that much.

The story goes like this.

DUI: A guy, whose drinking problems are notorious, gets drunk at a bar with his friends. His friends try to keep him off of the road and one eventually contacts his girlfriend. He is completely convinced that he isn't drunk and eventually gets out of the bar and gets in his car. In his intoxicated state, he speeds recklessly down the highway and eventually gets into an accident...

The End of the Line: The guy crashes into another car at an insanely high speed. The other driver is killed. When he is pulled out of the car he looks over trying to see who the other driver is... It was his girlfriend. For the next few days he lays in a hospital bed, feeling just god awful that he killed his girlfriend. For whatever reason, he was able to go to her funeral... After the funeral, he's taken to (or back to) prison...

Gone Away: A few years pass and he gets out of prison on probation. Spending years in a cell stewing in his own anger and pain over his lost loved one, he is finally freed. The world begins to feel different, people treat him differently finding out that he has killed someone... His friends, after not seeing him much, if at all, during that time he was in prison have alienated themselves from him and thus, visits the grave of his deceased lover... Finally admitting that he'd rather have died than her.

I know it's a bit of a stretch and the story has a few holes in it, but the basis of one exists between these three songs.

I found this out by accident, I didn't go searching for it. The randomizer for my media player was on and it played those three songs in a row and that's when I discovered it.

So yes, my question to you is... "Has anyone else noticed this?" Also, it'd be awesome if people pointed out any other "stories" like this in other Offspring songs?

That has nothing to do with DUI. The 'main character' crashed into a big rig.
"Now I slam my face into the back of a big rig
at least you'll never catch me you fucking pig!"
So unless the guys girlfriend was driving a rig..then the story makes no sense.

And when did the guy crash a car in The End Of The Line. That songs about somone who lost someone. Never said how the person died. And when did he go to prison? Huh?

And Gone Away is almost exactly the same as The End Of The Line. Except just different lyrics. And It never says he was in prison in this song either.

Its a good story, but the three songs dont have a part of it.

Hux
03-25-2006, 02:34 PM
I can see how it would link if a few things were to be altered but, Gone Away to be started as someone coming out from prison is a bit weird and changed a lot. The personality from the songs are quite different.

Jojan
03-25-2006, 02:44 PM
I think every Offspring song has it story. And if someone in this forum hasn't listend to The Offspring's lyrics in close up (and I mean deep!) they should lock them selves up for a year and do so.

Hux
03-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Yeah true fans would/should no the lyrics and meaning of their songs, isolate them until they realise what they are about :p.